PDA

View Full Version : William's future?

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 04:00 PM
What does this season and beyond hold for him?

May have displaced Wight for now, and didn't put a foot wrong last night against weak opposition.

Presume he'll spend this year in the backline but IIRC Eade said he was drafted as a power forward.

LostDoggy
10-06-2007, 06:18 PM
What does this season and beyond hold for him?

May have displaced Wight for now, and didn't put a foot wrong last night against weak opposition.

Presume he'll spend this year in the backline but IIRC Eade said he was drafted as a power forward.

Firstly I'm not sure if he'll get that type of match up every week. If he can maintain that form will be great but I think he'll be back at Werribee later.

At the moment I think him and Wight are probably playing for the same spot.
Both aren't really physically strong or experienced enough yet, especially with Williams as he is just learning the game.
If the form of Wight improves and Williams stays, I would try Wight up forward.

Next year when its more settled, we could give him a go up forward or also try Harris as a power forward.

BTW Werribee backs have conceeded the least amount of points which is a good sign considering Williams, Pask and Everitt were the main talls there.

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Firstly I'm not sure if he'll get that type of match up every week. If he can maintain that form will be great but I think he'll be back at Werribee later.

At the moment I think him and Wight are probably playing for the same spot.
Both aren't really physically strong or experienced enough yet, especially with Williams as he is just learning the game.
If the form of Wight improves and Williams stays, I would try Wight up forward.

What about Everitt? Have you seen him play? Wouldn't he come into consideration for that spot too?

BTW Werribee backs have conceeded the least amount of points which is a good sign considering Williams, Pask and Everitt were the main talls there.

Interesting, but how good is the Bees midfield defensively?

LostDoggy
10-06-2007, 07:05 PM
What about Everitt? Have you seen him play? Wouldn't he come into consideration for that spot too?
No Everitt at the moment is a tall HBFer. With more weight and experience possibly.

Interesting, but how good is the Bees midfield defensively?
Pretty good I think, has Henderson as the experienced Werribee listed player and Pask is great at that level. I can't recall the smalls there. Grant did a little there yesterday but took Williams' spot.
Geelong were on top in the VFL with AFL experienced guys like Tom Hawkins, Gardiner, Playfair up forward. They missed a few easy one and got a number in junk time in the last quarter but the defence is pretty tight.

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks.

Will be training for them then, rather than playing in a sloppy defence.

Long term, where do you think Wight will end up? In time, it seems either Williams or Everitt will be CHB.

LostDoggy
10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks.

Long term, where do you think Wight will end up? In time, it seems either Williams or Everitt will be CHB.
Not sure about Wight and a him being a KPP yet, need to put on kgs. He give 100% but not sure if he has the smarts. Possibly as a 3rd tall?
We are spoilt for future backline talls.

Sorry I misread your quote about the Weribee mids defence.
Apart from our guys, they have the likes of Farfuro, Castello, Horward and Young. Some of those are are tough nuts. So its not to bad either but I think the credit is more to the backline itself.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks.

I think the game has obviously changed and that matchups rather than positions dictate where a player plays, so that said its obviously hard to know, both Williams and Wight look most comfortable as rebounding defenders at this stage where they are able to use their athleticism, and long arms to spoil, run off, and both are good by foot.

Williams made one pickup last off the deck that had me and a mate double take and confirmed why the club are so high on the kid sensation.

I am not prepared to deal with the prospect of having too many key defenders because its never really been a problem in my lifetime - and theres still a fair way to go. But Harris and Hargraves may well be able to play up forward - Your Boy Harris is really coming into his own this season - and justifying the love DR.

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Met Brian a couple of times - he was very amused about the Brian Harris Appreciation Society.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Met Brian a couple of times - he was very amused about the Brian Harris Appreciation Society.

As he should be

He's always seemed a good guy to me, and pretty determined to achieve success with the Dogs

bornadog
10-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Long term, where do you think Wight will end up? .

I heard Eade say early on in the seasn that Williams will be a fullback and Wight would be playing either Wing or Ruck, so raed what you like into that. Which means Harris moves up the ground a bit??

I think it is about match ups and who we are up against.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 09:46 AM
I heard Eade say early on in the seasn that Williams will be a fullback and Wight would be playing either Wing or Ruck, so raed what you like into that. Which means Harris moves up the ground a bit??

I think it is about match ups and who we are up against.

Eade is so good with the media, you never know whether to listen too much - either that or its really hard to project exactly where a player will play.

Both players have improved a lot - and thats the great thing. Its a credit to Williams that he is as fit as he is given all the injuries and time where he could have wallowed in self pity - so its a credit to the boy.

Someone was telling me there is a video on the club website of tackling and Tommy Gun Williams is the only player able to get around the advancing tackler - using his rugby side step

alwaysadog
11-06-2007, 10:06 PM
It's easy to get carried away with one performance, but after all he has been through it was a giant step.
Is it unreasonable to suggest that in a season's time we will have a spine and structure?

Dry Rot
11-06-2007, 10:22 PM
It's easy to get carried away with one performance, but after all he has been through it was a giant step.
Is it unreasonable to suggest that in a season's time we will have a spine and structure?

Bottom half a spine looks splendid, but just thin air in the top half forward of the centre square IMO.

Bulldog Revolution
12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Bottom half a spine looks splendid, but just thin air in the top half forward of the centre square IMO.

Presumably there is a plan in place though, but you are right DR it is much harder to see

Mantis
12-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Very impressed with his game especially his disposal and sure hands. Grabbed the ball cleanly in packs a few times and his ability to almost change his mind half way through the kicking ation and spot up a pass was first class. Laid some good tackles too. Struggled a bit with positioning in the one on one marking contest a couple of times, but this will improve, his athleticism got him out of trouble a couple of times.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm sure once Chris is back, he'll be able to really help Williams out down back with his positioning and reading of the play.