PDA

View Full Version : Our opponents next week: Freo

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Funny hit and miss team with a lot of talent. What are our strengths and weaknesses against them and vice versa?

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Sounds like Solomon is on report. Any other reports or injuries for Freo?

Also sounds like Pavlich got them out of gaol. Brian, go get him.

GVGjr
10-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Some speculation that Pav might have kneed someone today. That would be great news for us if he was to miss a week.

dog town
10-06-2007, 09:58 PM
They are rubbish but are the sort of team we would find a way to lose against. Dont have alot of depth in their best 22 and rely heavily on a few players. Very one paced midfield who all to often take out their aggression on the man instead of the ball. They certainly have some weapons but I would be dissapointed if we didn't get up. Richmond played all over them for most of today and should have won by plenty.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Some speculation that Pav might have kneed someone today. That would be great news for us if he was to miss a week.

Wouldn't it be - we could really use a Pav playing for us

Go_Dogs
11-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Headland is another I'd be worried about, he's had a great year and virtually won the match for them yesterday with his 5 goals.

Should be a good game.

dog town
11-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Im sure I read somewhere that Sandilands may have hurt a groin yesterday. Paper also reporting McPharlin as having a hamstring.

I will be interested to see how we go containing the duel threat of Tarrant and Pavlich. Eade gave the quick leading Fevola to Morris after he did a good job the year before so logic suggests that he might do the same with Pavlich. Morris did a good job on Pavlich last year other than a couple of marking contests. He might also put Harris on him given the sort of form Harris is in but he didn't do that with Fevola so it is a hard one to call. Pav might run Harris around a bit but he is also likely to be a it strong for Morris. Going to be interesting which way they go but I will back in who ever he chooses. Hargrave to go to Tarrant and make him work both ways. Mundy played forward a bit yesterday so thats something we need to be a little careful of. Headland is a dead set cheat but he is very good at it. Probably would have gone to Griffen but hard to say now.

They are a very physical big bodied side but lately they have had a bit too much focus on the man in my opinion. They dont have alot of great runners so they really need to be smashing sides for the contested ball and they haven't been doing that. They are more than capable of doing it if we let them though. Hasleby, Bell (ran riot yesterday), Carr and these sort of guys can win plenty of the ball. With Schammer out they rely alot on guys like Peake and Crowley for midfield run and then guys like Hayden for defensive rebound. If we man up hard and apply heaps of pressure then they will quickly become pretty slow with their ball movement and thats the best way to beat them I think. Dont give them easy outlets out wide and then they lack the running power to really break you open.

GVGjr
11-06-2007, 07:40 PM
This is going to be a very difficult match-up for us. Headland has been running amok and they have a bit of size about the team. The Carr brothers add a bit of agro around the midfield and Hasleby and Black have been in great form. Sandilands, Tarrant and Pavlich need to be contained and while Harris has been in terrific form Pav is the type of player that might test him. Tarrant poses another test for us.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 08:00 PM
This is going to be a very difficult match-up for us. Headland has been running amok and they have a bit of size about the team. The Carr brothers add a bit of agro around the midfield and Hasleby and Black have been in great form. Sandilands, Tarrant and Pavlich need to be contained and while Harris has been in terrific form Pav is the type of player that might test him. Tarrant poses another test for us.

Good calls - we need to match their in and under work of the Carrs and Haselby - and Black is an important link up man for them as he is a better kick than Peak and Schammer. If we win enough ball in tight we should spread and use it to well for them, we looked quicker than Brisbane all night and hopefully we can do the same against Freo.

They struggled with our smaller forward types at the dome last year, Higgins lit them up

Is that the only time we played them?

Did Street play against Sandilands last time? How would you describe that matchup - Dry Rot?

Mantis
12-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Very good clearance team with Bell, Carr's and Haselby and Sandilands in the ruck. Not an overly quick team so we may have a big advantage there.

Have a dangerous forwardline, Pavlich and Tarrant have been in great form. I would not be totally surprised if we play Hargrave on Tarrant and Morris on Pavlich. Pavlich plays a similiar style to Fevola, very strong on the lead and Morris is our best defender on a leading forward. This will allow Harris and perhaps Williams to zone off there opponents abit and fill the hole or create a third man up situation.

GVGjr
12-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Very good clearance team with Bell, Carr's and Haselby and Sandilands in the ruck. Not an overly quick team so we may have a big advantage there.

Have a dangerous forwardline, Pavlich and Tarrant have been in great form. I would not be totally surprised if we play Hargrave on Tarrant and Morris on Pavlich. Pavlich plays a similiar style to Fevola, very strong on the lead and Morris is our best defender on a leading forward. This will allow Harris and perhaps Williams to zone off there opponents abit and fill the hole or create a third man up situation.

Excellent observation and something that I hadn't considered.
If they are the match-ups would Williams for McDougall who is more suited up forward become a consideration? Of course Williams might be able to be tried up forward as well.

Dry Rot
12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Did Street play against Sandilands last time? How would you describe that matchup - Dry Rot?

Sorry, can't recall the game and I don't see much of freo up here on FTA. What is Sandilands like around the ground?

GVGjr
12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Sorry, can't recall the game and I don't see much of freo up here on FTA. What is Sandilands like around the ground?

I can't recall the game either but Sandilands is impressive around the ground when he is playing well.

Sockeye Salmon
12-06-2007, 05:00 PM
How big is this weeks game?

If we win it puts us two games clear of Freo and puts them a long way back.

Essendon (7-4) play Port (6-5) in Adelaide
Collingwood (7-4) play Sydney (6-5)
North (7-4) play Adelaide (6-5)

Win and we're right up amoungst them, get beat and we start to lose touch.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Since we lost to Carlton it really is a must win game. If we lose it isn't all over, but it makes the journey that much harder. Both teams have a lot to play for, going to be interesting to see whose more hungry.

GVGjr
12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Since we lost to Carlton it really is a must win game. If we lose it isn't all over, but it makes the journey that much harder. Both teams have a lot to play for, going to be interesting to see whose more hungry.

I have a bad feeling that the loss to Carlton will really haunt us this year. We really cannot afford to lose anymore games to teams lower on the ladder for the balance of the season. The next four weeks are critical for us.
2 and 2 will leave us short. 3 and 1 and we will be right in the mix.

LostDoggy
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I have a bad feeling that the loss to Carlton will really haunt us this year. We really cannot afford to lose anymore games to teams lower on the ladder for the balance of the season. The next four weeks are critical for us.
2 and 2 will leave us short. 3 and 1 and we will be right in the mix.

Just quickly who we got over the next 4 weeks?

Dry Rot
12-06-2007, 05:36 PM

That's the odd thing about Freo's inconsistency - you just don't know which team will turn up.

Anymore word on Pavlich's alleged kneeing incident?

southerncross
12-06-2007, 06:18 PM
That's the odd thing about Freo's inconsistency - you just don't know which team will turn up.

Anymore word on Pavlich's alleged kneeing incident?

Both he and Solomon have been cleared.

Sockeye Salmon
13-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Just quickly who we got over the next 4 weeks?

Freo, Port, Ess & North.

All sides around us on the ladder and all side we should beat.

LostDoggy
13-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Freo, Port, Ess & North.

I hate looking that far ahead especially after people were saying 5-0 at the start of the season.
Take a win this week, then look at the next.

GVGjr
13-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Freo, Port, Ess & North.

I'd like to think that we would win all 4 but 3 out of 4 would be more than OK. 2 and 2 could be a problem for us.

bornadog
13-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Last we played the rucks were even, however, around the ground Sandilands picked up 12 disposals to Street 5. Street must do more around the ground and take some marks. His tackling isnot bad, and he often positions himself in a good spot but players are seemingly ruluctant to kick it to him.

Last time Cooney burned, 27 disposals and kicked 2.2

Hasleby and Josh Carr picked up 25 plus disposals each

Go_Dogs
14-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Going to be an interesting selection this afternoon...anyone game to lay a guess on who will be the final ins?

GVGjr
14-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Going to be an interesting selection this afternoon...anyone game to lay a guess on who will be the final ins?

In: Faulkner, McMahon and Everitt

Out: Griffen, Cross and Murphy

Dry Rot
14-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Are you of the "if Faulkner isn't selected, he's gone" school of thought?

bornadog
14-06-2007, 01:31 PM
In: McMahon, Faulkner and Lynch

bornadog
14-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Are you of the "if Faulkner isn't selected, he's gone" school of thought?

I don't think that it would be curtains if he is not selected.

Dry Rot
14-06-2007, 01:35 PM
In: McMahon, Faulkner and Lynch

Aren't Freo a pretty tall team?

bornadog
14-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Aren't Freo a pretty tall team?

Bulldogs average last week was:

Height 186.9cm
Weight 86.5kg
Age 24yr 12mth
Games 101.2

Freo last week

187.6cm
90.3kg
25yr 9mth

According to a post on BF, Freo have 8 players over 191cm, we have 4, but that does not include Hargrave and Morris who are 190. Don't know if Freo has any one over 190.

So, based on that DR, we may need a tall to come in, so is it Everitt or McDougall, maybe Wight?

Dry Rot
14-06-2007, 02:21 PM
If it was me, it would mcDougall but Eade will probably go for Everritt.

Mantis
14-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Tend to agree, our small forwardline worked last week, but doesn't work every week, especially against the good sides. With Street and Darcy changing off the bench we need to add a tall forward for some flexibility.

Mofra
14-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Even with teh inexperience we currently have in the side?
I'm happy with the selections, although given Murphy & Shaggy aren't fully fit, someone else may slip in.

southerncross
14-06-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm happy with the selections, although given Murphy & Shaggy aren't fully fit, someone else may slip in.

It's a very inexperienced side isn't it? 5 players with under 20 games experience?

LostDoggy
14-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Well if Hargrave is out then Everitt is a similar tallish running HB style player, as mentioned already, the number of young inexperienced guys would worries me. If Murph is out, I'll certainly go McDougall.

Dry Rot
14-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Is it just me, or does Lynch's selection smell of a PR exercise?

Are 4 premiership points worth that?

southerncross
15-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle TIO Stadium 7.10pm (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatchpreview/western-bulldogs-v-fremantle/2007/06/07/1181414453600.html)
Western Bulldogs
B: McMahon Harris Morris
HB: Gilbee Williams Hargrave
C: Eagleton West Akermanis
HF: Giansiracusa Johnson Hahn
F: Murphy Darcy Higgins
FOLL: Street Cooney Rover: Boyd
INTER: Addison Lynch Harbrow Ray
EMERG: Everitt Minson Power
IN: Lynch McMahon
OUT: Cross (knee) Griffen (knee)
NEW: Malcolm Lynch, 19, NSW/ACT U18
Fremantle
B: Hayden Grover Dodd
HB: Black Johnson Mundy
C: Walker Bell Peake
HF: Solomon Pavlich Headland
F: Thornton Tarrant McPharlin
FOLL: Sandilands Hasleby Rover: J Carr
INTER: Crowley M Carr McManus Warnock
EMERG: Cook Drum Ibbotson
IN: Crowley
OUT: Ibbotson
LAST TIME WBulldogs 15.10 (100) d Fremantle 12.14 (86) at Telstra Dome
AT THIS GROUND Western Bulldogs 0, Fremantle 0
IN THE 2000s Western Bulldogs 4, Fremantle 4
COACHES Eade 1, Connolly 1
UMPIRES SMcLaren, SMeredith, SJeffery
BETTING Western Bulldogs $1.87, Fremantle $1.87
TV Fox Sports1, 7.30pm
RADIO 774ABC, SEN
Summary The Bulldogs bounced back big-time against Brisbane last weekend, but losing midfielders Daniel Cross and Ryan Griffen for extended periods with knee injuries will hurt. Defender Jordan McMahon gets a recall after being dropped for last week's match. Consistency has been the Dogs' problem this year and stringing together two in a row will be vital in the context of their season. The usually brilliant Matthew Pavlich aside, the Dockers are also an inconsistent bunch. They will be mindful that after a similar sluggish start to last season, they hit form around this time and strung together nine wins on the spin. A huge match for both sides with seasons on the line.
Key Matthew Pavlich. Got Fremantle over the line last week against Richmond and looms as the match-winner again. Defender Brian Harris faces a big test against the in-form Pavlich, who has kicked seven goals and taken 28 marks in the past two weeks.

Mantis
15-06-2007, 09:24 AM

I would hope not. He should have a big advantage in playing in conditions that he is familiar with. His lack of body strength is a worry, but he has some real talent, if he was going to debut anywhere this year it had to be in this game. I'm sure he will have an impact, but for our structure I would prefer a tall came in, but unfortunately we dont have one putting his hand up.

Go_Dogs
15-06-2007, 09:40 AM

There would certainly be a romantic element to it, playing his first game up in Darwin, but I think it's a worthwhile selection. Lynch has worked hard all year, had an excellent pre-season and is the type of player that can quickly step up to the pace of the AFL game. I think he'll add a different dimension to our crumbing up forward, and also help out our defensive forward line pressure a great deal. Doubt he'll set the world on fire, but he certainly is deserving of his spot.

LostDoggy
15-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't think Lynch a bad selection. He is young and skinny but I really think we need runners in Darwin and not sure the alternatives are much better.

Dry Rot
15-06-2007, 10:30 AM
But doesn't a crumbing forward crumb off a tall team mate making a contest?

Sockeye Salmon
15-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't think Lynch a bad selection. He is young and skinny but I really think we need runners in Darwin and not sure the alternatives are much better.

Last year up there (including the Melbourne pre-season game) we lost because we couldn't handle the greasy ball, perhaps one who was brought up in Darwin will be handle the conditions better.

GVGjr
15-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Last year up there (including the Melbourne pre-season game) we lost because we couldn't handle the greasy ball, perhaps one who was brought up in Darwin will be handle the conditions better.

I'd reckon Faulkner would handle the conditions pretty well so it is interesting that Lynch has been selected ahead of him.
So many inexperienced guys is a concern from my perspective.
If we were playing brilliantly well I wouldn't be as concerned but our form has been patchy.

Bulldog Revolution
15-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I'd reckon Faulkner would handle the conditions pretty well so it is interesting that Lynch has been selected ahead of him.
If we were playing brilliantly well I wouldn't be as concerned but our form has been patchy.

The youngsters performed well last week. Higgins is doing more work up the ground.

As long as they do all the effort things: i.e run hard, put their head over the ball, tackle, chase then I think we have enough experienced class to beat Freo. And our youngsters are seriously skilled so if they get it in space they are capable of cutting teams up.

Higgins finishing this year has just been awesome - the left foot goal at the gabba was really classy

bornadog
15-06-2007, 03:08 PM

Yes if you look through the team we now have four teenagers plus Williams who has played 1.5 games. We are expecting alot form these guys.

southerncross
16-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Are the Dogs in the fight? (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/are-the-dogs-in-the-fight/2007/06/15/1181414549901.html)

TONIGHT'S game in Darwin is crucial for the Western Bulldogs. Their opponent, Fremantle, sits one game behind the Dogs and is a keen rival for a final-eight position. In effect, tonight becomes an eight-point game for Rodney Eade's men: a win will give them an eight-point buffer over Fremantle, a loss and it's all square.
Opinions vary as to how well the Bulldogs are travelling. After winning a final last season, for the first time in eight years, most believed they were on track to be certain finalists in 2007 and many had them pencilled in with a top-four finish.
Even the Bulldog faithful are divided as to how their team sits. One talkback caller suggested the coach would be quietly chuckling to himself as the upside to the second half of the season was massive. Another commented the fact that they have the third-worst defence, behind Carlton and Richmond, and that if you allow the opposition to average more than 100 points a game, then you could forget about winning a premiership.
Even last week against the Brisbane Lions, the Dogs won but lost at the same time. They took home four points but couldn't kick a goal in the final quarter and lost quality players in Daniel Cross and Ryan Griffin to long-term injury. So what does the immediate future hold for a team that has set itself to break a 53-year premiership drought?
THE UPSIDE

THE RECO BOYS Darcy may not be the ruckman he once was, but he is a fine leader and will help develop Will Minson and Peter Street as ruckmen while he consolidates as the effective tall forward the Dogs desperately need.
Murphy is, in my opinion, the Bulldogs' best player. It has been a slow return for him.He has averaged only 11 disposals and one goal a game. From here on, he will go close to doubling those figures, and what a difference that will make.
Hahn has played five games for an average of eight touches. He, too, will double his output and add grunt to a team that needs as much as it can get.
THE RECRUITJason Akermanis is the man, but has he delivered? I don't think so. The Dogs got him to provide a touch of magic that would get them over the line in the four to five down-to-the-wire games they reckoned they would play this year. He has done it once this season, against Melbourne in round seven. He needs to deliver more.

TALL DEFENDERS
The Doggies are delighted with the development of three tall, skinny young defenders in Cameron Wight, Tom Williams and "Spida's" young brother, Andrejs Everitt.

Wight has been a regular in 2007, Williams has just come into the team and Everitt is an emergency for tonight's game. All are shaping up as excellent long-term prospects, in positions where they are sorely needed.

YOUNG IMPROVERS

Shaun Higgins played only five games last year before fracturing his elbow. This season, he has not missed a game and with 17 goals is the third-highest goalkicker. He is on track to be a star.
Dylan Addison tasted two games in 2006, now he is a regular. A tough tackler with a strong appetite for the contest, he is another example of the coach adding much-needed grunt.
Jarrod Harbrow is one to watch. A speedy ball carrier who wins contests, he is another example of a touch of toughness being added to the mix.
MATTHEW BOYD
Boyd is a low-key Bulldog who has come off a rookie list to earn a senior position. It's always been a struggle for the 24-year-old. Tonight will be his 80th game, but Bulldog fans know the tough tagger has gone up another notch. He always has led the way with tackles and hard-ball gets, and has become a quality playmaker in his own right.
THE VETERAN
Chris Grant is yet to play a senior game but he's not far off. Because he can play at either end of the ground, Grant will provide the coach with terrific options as September nears.
THE DOWNSIDE

DEFENCE MARKS INSIDE 50
Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood and Essendon are the top four teams for marks inside 50 because they all have quality power forwards. The Bulldogs rank 16th because they don't have a quality tall forward doing the job. Maybe Darcy or Grant can improve that situation.
CLEARANCES
The Dogs rank 12th for clearances. Their A-graders are Adam Cooney (45), Scott West (43) and Boyd (40). What is needed is for the B-graders to lift in close. Nathan Eagleton (21), Daniel Giansiracusa (18), Akermanis (11) and Hahn (4) need to contribute a lot more.
BIG SCALPS ARE NEEDED
After tonight's game, the Dogs have a terrific run, with eight games out of the next 10 to be played at Telstra Dome. They need to have wins over Geelong and West Coast at the Dome and an away win against Adelaide to gain confidence and credibility come September.
It's not just the defender, it's the forwards and midfield, too, who don't lock down the opposition when they take, or look like taking, possession of the ball. End result, the Dogs too often get big scores kicked against them. The spoiling technique of the defensive six leaves much to be desired, causing Jordan McMahon to lose his spot in the side two weeks ago.Luke Darcy, Robert Murphy and Mitch Hahn are returning to senior football after knee reconstructions. It takes time and adjustments to build the strength and confidence to get back to your best. All three will have better second-half seasons.

southerncross
16-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Teen set for 'home' debut (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/teen-set-for-home-debut/2007/06/15/1181414549878.html)

TIWI Islands teenager Malcolm Lynch will have taken the long way around when he makes his AFL debut in Darwin today.
While it seems ideal the latest Tiwi product to find a place in top-flight football should start his career in the Northern Territory, the 19-year-old Western Bulldog — named to line-up against Fremantle at Tio Stadium on Saturday night — had to decamp to a rugby league heartland to get there.
Lynch will get his chance in the Bulldogs line-up due to the absence of Daniel Cross and Ryan Griffen, who both received knee injuries in last weekend's win over the Brisbane Lions.
A product of Sydney's St Ignatius College, which counts Sydney's Leo Barry among alumni, Lynch has the makings of another indigenous footballing star, according to senior teammate Luke Darcy.
"He's a great lad — he's young and skinny and lightning quick and has all the skills the Aboriginal boys have," Darcy said. "It would be a bit of a fairytale debut and obviously he would have a lot of family in that part of the world.
"He played the pre-season game and kicked three goals against Sydney. He has got all the talent, and he's fitted into the place sensationally well.
"So it would be a great story if he got a game."
That NAB Cup game against the Swans confirmed the talent which attracted the Bulldogs to take the lightweight speedster at pick 66 overall the last AFL draft.
While his 178-centimetre, 68-kilogram physique may not be imposing, the teenager's 2.83-second 20-metre sprint could not be ignored.
"If he can be taught to capitalise on his big leap with overhead marking he will be a worry to match up on for small and tall opponents," Bulldogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton said.

southerncross
16-06-2007, 07:44 AM
This is a good article about the tactics for tonights game.

Connolly's counter to Bulldogs' attack no tall order (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21913204-5012432,00.html)

FREMANTLE will attempt to stretch the Western Bulldogs in Darwin tonight via its twin talls Matthew Pavlich and Chris Tarrant, coach Chris Connolly said yesterday.

Connolly believes Fremantle can seize control of the match, and square its win-loss ledger, through the marking power of the star pair.
Pavlich, outstanding over the past three weeks, kicking 13 goals, is averaging nine marks a game this season, while Tarrant has continued his run of fine form despite being inaccurate when kicking.
"Whoever gets their hands on the ball first is going to try and take advantage of that thing they may have over the other team, whether it is our marking strength up forward or their running strength," Connolly said. The plan was boosted further by the presence of 211cm ruckman Aaron Sandilands at training at TIO Stadium yesterday.
The leading ruckman, who posed problems for Richmond last Sunday drifting forward, has been under an injury cloud, but trained strongly and seems certain to play.
"He strained his groin last week but he's been 100 per cent since and he's trained well," Connolly said.
Bulldogs defender Ryan Hargrave is a potential candidate for Pavlich should the Dockers captain get the better of regular full-back Brian Harris tonight.
But he said Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade might surprise with a match-up for Tarrant.
"We have five or six options who could go with them. It does not have to be Brian or me," Hargrave said.
"Even Lindsay Gilbee could be the one that goes with Tarrant around the ground because of his mobility.
"But it will be a tough challenge, especially with the way they both play because they are pretty good movers."
Gilbee, an All Australian last year, provides drive from defence with his clean hands and skills but would concede Tarrant, who has taken 81 marks this season, 12cm in height should he get the task.
While Connolly is confident his side can out-mark the Bulldogs, he is wary of their ability to turn defence into attack.
Dockers veteran Troy Cook, who has revived his career over the past season with his outstanding defensive pressure in attack, flew to Darwin as an emergency and looms as a possible inclusion.
"The Western Bulldogs have really adapted their game to Telstra Dome and it is like a pinball machine. The ball zings around," Connolly said.
"To be able to do that, you need players who are quick on their feet and quick with their ball movement.
"That is their strength, so the pressure in the forward line, to not let them run the ball out easily, will be very important.
"We have to make sure we are not exploited in areas that vulnerabilities may be created in."
The humid, warm conditions are certain to have an effect tonight, with the temperature not likely to drop below 22C.
The Western Bulldogs have been preparing for the conditions for a month, using a number of techniques to help players cope.
"We haven't been in the garbage bags. It's been a little bit more advanced than that now," Hargrave said.
"But we have been wearing these skin-suit things and we have been going to the heat chamber and stuff, just trying to get our preparation right."
The Dockers also visited the West Australian Institute of Sport's heat chamber after last Sunday's win over Richmond, although the Bulldogs coach, Eade, dismissed the session as a token effort.
That criticism provoked a fiery response from Fremantle assistant coach Peter German.
"You can't do anything. You try and be proactive, and get the players used to the conditions, and they are bagging us," German told Perth radio. Criticism aside, Docker Paul Hasleby said fitness, rather than finesse, would be the key.
"It is not uncommon for players to lose up to 5 or 6kg in the extreme heat up there," Hasleby said.
"It is a really different circumstance playing in that heat. You really have to get hydrated and get your preparation spot-on."
The midfielder, who has returned to the form that won him All Australian selection in 2003 after a horror run with injuries last year, said the absence of injured Bulldogs Ryan Griffen and Ryan Cross could help the Dockers gain the upper hand through the middle.
"I watched the game last weekend and they did lose some key players, so it is a good opportunity for us to get back to six and six, to square the ledger, and really kick-start our season," Hasleby said.

Mofra
16-06-2007, 10:11 AM
But doesn't a crumbing forward crumb off a tall team mate making a contest?
With Dracy, Minson & Street all in teh side, we could have Darcy as a forward (changing at times with Minson) just to bring the ball to ground.

Between Lynch, Aker, Higgins, Harbrow, Johnson, & Cooney we should be able to crumb enough goals.

Throw in a Hahn bull-effort for another & your regulation Eagle/Gilbee/Gia goals on teh run from making space, we can definately kick a winning score

Go_Dogs
16-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Going to be interesting to see if Minson is given a run up forwards for a bit of time tonight. I'd love to see him haul in a big mark or two up forward.

bornadog
16-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Well as we know Minson played in the VFL today, not a bad game, very vocal trying to gee up his team mates. I hope Murphy has come up, otherwise its Power in, which would be very dissapointing considering we should have had a tall in there