PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Enough of this nonsense.........

ReLoad
15-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Ok folks, this is getting out of control.

I DEMAND, yes demand a press conference right now, its clear to me that both papers, the small one and the big one have clearly gotten out of control.

WE ARE NOT FAVOURITES TO WIN THE PREMIERSHIP, GET OFF THE BANDWAGON.

Look, i'll admit,we are an OK side, and things are going along quite well, and yes that new guy with more hair than I have is kicking a few goals, but are we equal to Geelong and St Kilda? Honestly? its far too early to tell, lets not pump up our own tyres to the point of them exploding.

So lets take a big deep breath, lets still book our holidays overseas for that last week in September, just like we have for the last 56 years, and lets not do or change anything.

Yes, the final four is a realistic expectation, but is winning the flag? the road is too long, there is too many variables, and most importantly has the opposition improved too lets not forget that.

ReLoad
PS: The NAB cup reminds me of my own little story: I made my first ever hundred in cricket, a one dayer playing against first class opposition, and i always said to myself, it doesnt get any better i should give it away. Sure enough next week i made a golden duck. The moral of the story: lets just keep a damn lid on it and not get ahead of ourselves.

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I can't really agree.
In previous years we have been in a good position to get into the Grand Final and take the flag, and we've ruined it.
This year we're doing something different. Alot more media attention and confidence is good for the supporters and the team i believe. I don't think the lid is off, i think we are finally confident with the team with have and genuinely believe we can win this thing, and showing that to the public and media isn't getting ahead of ourselves really.

mighty_west
15-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't see a problem with it myself, it has to generate more memberships which is awesome, for as long as i remember, we have NEVER been even thought about as favourites or equal favourites, and that history suggests those calls were spot on.

Part of having a winning culture, is believing you are good, no, KNOWING you are good, and not just hoping, like we have done in the past, we have always had this loser mentality, and quite frankly, i'm sick of it, and Saturday night was the start i hope, of now really believing we will beat anyone, and having that engraved into every single mind.

Just my opinion, but those that can't handle some heat, end up crashing & burning, and only that REAL belief, will get us to where we need to be, and not just keep on hoping!

Every single Premiership side has had that belief, almost seen as arrogance, and as far as i remember, we have never had that, always been there abouts, and that shows in out in our trophy cabinet.

We have to strive to be number 1, and not again just making up the numbers, and we have the REALLY believe that, and not just fake it.

mighty_west
15-03-2010, 03:42 PM

I DEMAND, yes demand a press conference right now, its clear to me that both papers, the small one and the big one have clearly gotten out of control.

Look, i'll admit,we are an OK side, and things are going along quite well, and yes that new guy with more hair than I have is kicking a few goals, but are we equal to Geelong and St Kilda? Honestly? its far too early to tell, lets not pump up our own tyres to the point of them exploding.

So lets take a big deep breath, lets still book our holidays overseas for that last week in September, just like we have for the last 56 years, and lets not do or change anything.

Yes, the final four is a realistic expectation, but is winning the flag? the road is too long, there is too many variables, and most importantly has the opposition improved too lets not forget that.

ReLoad
PS: The NAB cup reminds me of my own little story: I made my first ever hundred in cricket, a one dayer playing against first class opposition, and i always said to myself, it doesnt get any better i should give it away. Sure enough next week i made a golden duck. The moral of the story: lets just keep a damn lid on it and not get ahead of ourselves.

Why wouldn't winning a flag be a realistic expectation? If we didn't believe we were not a realistic chance, we might as well pack it all in right now!

Dry Rot
15-03-2010, 03:49 PM
FWIW all this media hoo ha is good for memberships IMO. Serves a purpose for now.

mjp
15-03-2010, 04:11 PM
We have a mature side and have played in preliminary finals the last two years...surely the papers are only repeating the internal expectations?

comrade
15-03-2010, 04:12 PM
I agree with the OP. Playing the underdog and keeping a lid on things has clearly worked wonders for the last 55 years - why fix something that ain't broke? ;)

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 04:19 PM

ReLoad
You say go ahead and book your September holidays as we have for the last 56 years. Not losers like me I have never booked holidays until after the footy season with the faint hope that we might make it one day. I don't think it would be a good idea to break the tradition, especially this year. I was asked to go away last weekend about 6 weeks ago, I looked up the NAB cup fixture and said can't go the NAB cup grand final is that weekend, what if we make it. The others are Bulldogs as well said we won't make it, we never do any good in the NAB Cup !, they were disappoint they missed it. I never missed it it and will only ever miss for one reason, I'M DEAD !

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 04:26 PM
You say go ahead and book your September holidays as we have for the last 56 years. Not losers like me I have never booked holidays until after the footy season with the faint hope that we might make it one day.

Exactly what i did last year, i left the Tuesday after the grand final(missed our b n f tho damit) just hoping wed make that last Saturday in September....we almost did it.......Im so sick of almost doing it.....i want to do it...i want to be at the MCG on the last Saturday in September, watching our Bulldog boys running around and getting the cup that we all want so badly....

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Exactly what i did last year, i left the Tuesday after the grand final(missed our b n f tho damit) just hoping wed make that last Saturday in September....we almost did it.......Im so sick of almost doing it.....i want to do it...i want to be at the MCG on the last Saturday in September, watching our Bulldog boys running around and getting the cup that we all want so badly....
Here Here !
See you at the Grand Final and after party at the Whitten Oval !
How things have changed, maybe now we should be booking our holidays to coincide with the Grand Final, so we can enjoy all the lead up and a week to get over the partying, WOW what a party it would be !

chef
15-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree with the OP. Playing the underdog and keeping a lid on things has clearly worked wonders for the last 55 years - why fix something that ain't broke? ;)

:D

I'm actually enjoying us being favourites(for a change) and appearing in the papers numerous times daily.

BulldogBelle
15-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Here is the latest poll from the Herald Sun today.

Results: Flag favourites
Thanks for voting!
Who do you think will win the AFL premiership this year?
• Adelaide 2.78% (26 votes)
• Collingwood 15.71% (147 votes)
• Geelong 14.96% (140 votes)
• Hawthorn 9.08% (85 votes)
• St Kilda 11.86% (111 votes)
• Western Bulldogs 34.62% (324 votes)
• Other team 11% (103 votes)
Total votes: 936

OK people can any Bulldog member remember this ever happening before??

It has to be good for membership, sponsorship and merchandise sales.

The Club should make some good cash this year.

And all going well something extra for the cabinet!

Chicago1
15-03-2010, 04:42 PM
I came very close to booking a flight for the PFs and Gf last year in May when the airfare was only $770 return. However, my niece was getting married PF weekend and there was no way I could get out of it, if I wanted to live. I did make provisional plans to fly out the day after the wedding if the Bulldogs made it to the GF. It was just going to be personally horrendous leaving here at that time at such short notice due to family responsibilities.

This year I'll be making my final decision sometime in June or July. I should have enough FF points to fly for free. I am going to determine criteria to help me make my decision that early. As of right now I'm planning to arrive possibly Sept 10 to go to a reunion for one of the schools where I taught.

ReLoad
15-03-2010, 04:44 PM

No, it just means we can afford to buy a new cabinet. :D

I think you guys are missing my point, its not about us, the team, the internal staff, and all the faithful expecting us to do well, we all know you have to believe you can do it before you do it, but its about the papers and the press and every other head shaped like a football person out there.

What im saying is this, yes we can believe, we can even know how damn good we are, but we cannot get ahead of ourselves. Cats in 2008 anyone?

Do you all not think just for one minute that we are letting things get out of control?

Maybe im wrong, maybe its because i still miss the donut van at the scoreboard end of the whitten oval on a rainy saturday afternoon............ who knows, either way, im worried.

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I came very close to booking a flight for the PFs and Gf last year in May when the airfare was only $770 return. However, my niece was getting married PF weekend and there was no way I could get out of it, if I wanted to live. I did make provisional plans to fly out the day after the wedding if the Bulldogs made it to the GF. It was just going to be personally horrendous leaving here at that time at such short notice due to family responsibilities.

This year I'll be making my final decision sometime in June or July. I should have enough FF points to fly for free. I am going to determine criteria to help me make my decision that early. As of right now I'm planning to arrive possibly Sept 10 to go to a reunion for one of the schools where I taught.
Go ahead and book the trip Chicago1, you will not be sorry !

Don't forget to allow enough time after we win the grand final for the celebrations !, they will go forever.

jazzadogs
15-03-2010, 04:53 PM
No, it just means we can afford to buy a new cabinet. :D

I think you guys are missing my point, its not about us, the team, the internal staff, and all the faithful expecting us to do well, we all know you have to believe you can do it before you do it, but its about the papers and the press and every other head shaped like a football person out there.

What im saying is this, yes we can believe, we can even know how damn good we are, but we cannot get ahead of ourselves. Cats in 2008 anyone?

Do you all not think just for one minute that we are letting things get out of control?

Maybe im wrong, maybe its because i still miss the donut van at the scoreboard end of the whitten oval on a rainy saturday afternoon............ who knows, either way, im worried.
I think the players are focussed enough to not let this slip. We're more like Cats of 09...had an absolute heartbreak when we thought we were close enough.

I don't think this group will get ahead of themselves. Rocket won't let that happen, the leadership group won't let that happen, and I'd say that the entire playing group will work together to ensure it doesn't happen. They saw last year that they can do all they want, but if they don't play their best they won't make a grand final and they won't be premiers.

The media attention is a great thing. I love waking up in the morning and being able to read about the Dogs, instead of reading about the Pies and Bombers and Blues every day. If the players are taking too much notice of it then I would be very surprised.

mjp
15-03-2010, 06:22 PM

I'm still worried, but it has nothing to do with what is written in the paper. I really believe the group is mature enough to deal with all of that kind of stuff.

choconmientay
15-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Here is the latest poll from the Herald Sun today.

Results: Flag favourites
Thanks for voting!
Who do you think will win the AFL premiership this year?
• Adelaide 2.78% (26 votes)
• Collingwood 15.71% (147 votes)
• Geelong 14.96% (140 votes)
• Hawthorn 9.08% (85 votes)
• St Kilda 11.86% (111 votes)
• Western Bulldogs 34.62% (324 votes)
• Other team 11% (103 votes)
Total votes: 936

OK people can any Bulldog member remember this ever happening before??

It has to be good for membership, sponsorship and merchandise sales.

And I found this one on foxsport ... How would the team deal with the pressure to be favorite?
---------------------------------------------------------
Who will win the 2010 AFL premiership?

Adelaide Crows - 4.95% (486 votes)
(486 votes)
Brisbane Lions - 10.46% (1027 votes)
(1027 votes)
Carlton - 3.66% (360 votes)
(360 votes)
Collingwood - 8.38% (823 votes)
(823 votes)
Essendon - 2.73% (268 votes)
(268 votes)
Fremantle - 2.27% (223 votes)
(223 votes)
Geelong - 10.48% (1029 votes)
(1029 votes)
Hawthorn - 5.56% (546 votes)
(546 votes)
Melbourne Demons - 1.55% (153 votes)
(153 votes)
North Melbourne - 1.36% (134 votes)
(134 votes)
Port Adelaide - 2.08% (205 votes)
(205 votes)
Richmond - 1.94% (191 votes)
(191 votes)
St Kilda - 14.2% (1394 votes)
(1394 votes)
Sydney Swans - 5.18% (509 votes)
(509 votes)
West Coast - 3.87% (380 votes)
(380 votes)
Western Bulldogs - 21.22% (2082 votes)
(2082 votes)

AndrewP6
15-03-2010, 06:51 PM
I think to say we have belief in our capabilities is absolutely fine. No, not fine - essential. If we go with the suggested mentality, and don't even dare to dream that we can make it, we never will. There's a distinct difference between believing in yourself, and your ability to defeat opponents, and going out and saying "We're gonna win it, no one can compete"... No one has said the latter, and recent results show we're right up there with the Aints and Pussies. We were a kick away from a GF, don't forget that. I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate the club is getting ahead of themselves. Smorgo's "we're not afraid" story was confidence. I'd hate to hear him say "Well, they're a really tough side, I hope we can beat them"

This thread reminded me of a story: I was a member of a state basketball team, we were up against a couple of Goliaths from WA in the national championships gold medal game. We didn't say "They're too big, we're too small and we'll just try our best"... we believed in ourselves, took them on full tilt, and won the championship.

Mofra
15-03-2010, 07:21 PM

That post doesn't make sense. If it's not about us (paragraph 1), how will that effect us getting ahead of ourselves (paragraph 2)?

I like being favourites. Screw underdogs, that tag we've held for 55 years has earned us squat. Lets be cocky and arrogant and make the other teams watch us. Lets talk our chances up. Our window is open and if everyone associated with the club believes it, from the no 1 tocket holder, to the players, to the bootstudder, then good.

mighty_west
15-03-2010, 07:36 PM

The good thing about the old donut van under the scoreboard, was that we stood down the other end, so by the time i walked back, i would have burn't off those donuts, well, thats what i was hoping...:p

Scraggers
15-03-2010, 07:54 PM
That post doesn't make sense. If it's not about us (paragraph 1), how will that effect us getting ahead of ourselves (paragraph 2)?

I like being favourites. Screw underdogs, that tag we've held for 55 years has earned us squat. Lets be cocky and arrogant and make the other teams watch us. Lets talk our chances up. Our window is open and if everyone associated with the club believes it, from the no 1 tocket holder, to the players, to the bootstudder, then good.

Could'nt agree more :D

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 10:33 PM
We haven't even played a premiership game yet. The euphoria IS over the top. There will be injuries, oppositions who beat our game plan, down days where we are 5% off. We are not invincible. I saw cracks in the way we played that would suggest that it is not a dead set certainty we will win all our games. But the carry on suggests we are almost good things. Yes, it is good to sit in the sunshine and look lovingly at the even spread of really talented players and the balance we now have, but until we have shown we can compete under the fiercest of pressure, I will reserve judgement. Extreme highs can be followed by irrational disappointment and we seem to be betting a lot on a lottery win so early in the season.

AndrewP6
15-03-2010, 11:02 PM
We haven't even played a premiership game yet. The euphoria IS over the top. There will be injuries, oppositions who beat our game plan, down days where we are 5% off. We are not invincible. I saw cracks in the way we played that would suggest that it is not a dead set certainty we will win all our games. But the carry on suggests we are almost good things. Yes, it is good to sit in the sunshine and look lovingly at the even spread of really talented players and the balance we now have, but until we have shown we can compete under the fiercest of pressure, I will reserve judgement. Extreme highs can be followed by irrational disappointment and we seem to be betting a lot on a lottery win so early in the season.

I agree that there is a hell of a long way to go before we can start celebrating. I'm not sure anyone has suggested we're invincible, nor that we'll go undefeated - merely that we can beat anyone in the comp. If it weren't for BAZZA's heroics, our performance against St Kilda had moments of awesome play mixed with moments of shite, however last years PF showed we can compete under pressure - we took it right up to the Aints. We have a lot to be excited about, and after years of "supporting the whole competition" why not relish a bit of success? (the NAB Cup win being that "bit").God knows we've had our share of disappointment. Let's be excited about the season ahead.

(All that, coming from a confessed pessimist! Time for a lie down, methinks ;) )

Sedat
15-03-2010, 11:10 PM
We have a mature side and have played in preliminary finals the last two years...surely the papers are only repeating the internal expectations?
Could not agree more. We have spent the last 2 seasons in the top 4, have only been disgraced once in a final during that time, and have pushed high quality opposition very hard in both prelims. We have been a very good side for 2 seasons now, and have the capability to become an exceptional one with continued hard work and application. I think the media are only echoing our internal goals and expectations.

FrediKanoute
15-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Same......started a new job the week of the GF last year and faced a real possibility of pulling a sicky to fly home for the GF....this year will be tough though. New baby and getting married 2 weeks before the GF so may be watching this one from a pub in London!

westdog54
15-03-2010, 11:31 PM
The OP asks the question, is winning the flag a realistic expectation?

I will be dissatisfied with anything less this year.

There, I said it. I won't be happy until Johnno climbs the dais on September 25.

I'm sick of being happy with a preliminary finals at the end of the season.

I'm sick of thinking "well, we almost made the granny, things just didn't go our way.

A couple of years back, on this board and others, there was discussion about whether the club was 'accepting mediocrity'. It was a major bugbear with many posters, none moreso than ErnieSigley. Well, now we're well and truly at the other end of the spectrum. We're at a stage, where, on paper, we tick all the boxes. It is now time for the club to deliver.

Injuries are a factor, and if they cripple us to a point where the flag is out of reach, then, shit happens, we'll move on. But, all things being equal, we've never been in a better position to push for a flag.

As far as I'm concerned, failure is not an option in 2010.

alwaysadog
15-03-2010, 11:37 PM

Perhaps it should be can you fix something that's been broken for so long?

And the answer is...

Doggies supporters are eternal optimists, they keep the faith against all odds, against all nay sayers.

But how would we manage if it finally did get fixed, how would we overcome the spirit of resilience and bouncing back from disappointment.

Would we be able to turn up for practice games uttering the mantra this could be our year.

Perhaps this is the point to turn off the fantasies, keep the lid on and remember all those seasons when we had looked as if next year would be our year only for our promise not to be fulfilled, and to wait until we actually do win the ultimate prize.

In the mean time let's enjoy the ride.

SonofScray
15-03-2010, 11:46 PM
My take:

Enjoy the ride, take it all in. We've been the underdogs, we've kept a lid on everything and it has ended in the same old story. Time for a change.

The NAB means very little in terms of glory but really, it is a great win in that it separates this group from every other "contender" we've had in recent decades. We have plenty of teams that we thought might go close, should have done this, should have done that but they all fell over.

These guys won something. They are different, something has changed and I believe that it will take us one step closer. With a dash of luck, we'll find ourselves doing something completely different and win the real thing.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Strange thread, no offence ReLoad.

We've made the Prelims two years in a row and could have won both, just won the pre-season comp where all indications are that we've improved again as a group. What should the internal expectations exactly be, to settle for more of the same? To go backwards?

To suggest that expectations to win a competition, which is the raison d'etre for the entire existence of a sporting club, is 'nonsense', probably shows how bizarre the internal mental world of Dogs' supporters are and how much our culture of failure has made us come to fear winning. Are we that mentally scarred that we are happy to tolerate all talk of failure but eschew any hint of success, even to the point of shouting down anyone and everyone in earshot? What, would we prefer family days of 20 people at a decrepit old relic of a stadium rather than 12,000 at a spanking new facility? Would we prefer hanging around the bottom 4 with no publicity, no hope and no future, rather than be a top 4 club with genuine aspirations for the premiership? Rather be forgotten, hardly spoken of, poor, on the brink of extinction year after year, begging for money rather than be plastered all over the sports pages, have healthy membership numbers, and players wanting to play for your club? Talk about self-flagellation.

Successful clubs all over the world not only expect to win every year, they get pilloried by their own supporters for coming second. Far from avoiding the spotlight, great clubs create their own publicity, through fantastic websites, their own TV channels, their own shops, savvy marketing etc. etc. It hasn't done them any harm, and I long for the day where we become successful enough -- and as I've said on plenty of other threads, there is no real reason other than the limits of our own imaginations that we couldn't become one of the largest clubs in the country -- that our supporters demand success rather than shy away from it like vampires from daylight.

It's sick, I tell you, sick.

westdog54
16-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Successful clubs all over the world not only expect to win every year, they get pilloried by their own supporters for coming second.

Avram Grant was sacked as manager of Chelsea for being runner up in the EPL and FA Cup IIRC

The Underdog
16-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Avram Grant was sacked as manager of Chelsea for being runner up in the EPL and FA Cup IIRC

Should try being the manager at Real Madrid. Winning the Primera Liga isn't good enough, you have to win in Europe and play with style. No wonder they go through manager's like nothing else.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Certainly in years gone by we haven't handled expectation well at all but something tells me that inside the inner sanctum the lid would be screwed firmly shut and a steely resolve to strive for ultimate glory would exist. This playing group is a lot more experienced now and have played a lot of footy together. Anyone who's played any sport would know that confidence is probably the most valuable tool in any players arsenal and this can sometimes be seen as arrogance. Confidence in yourself and your team mates and believing that YOU WILL WIN a game is a fundamental ingredient in any Premiership. Trouble starts to set in when this confidence and self belief starts to override the desire to still work your guts out and do the basics. E.g Geelong in 2006

To people who don't want the positive media coverage I ask this question. Would you prefer to have the stories that teams like Richmond cop? We can't do anything about the media going nuts and loving the Dogs so let's take the positives out of it. By this I mean, increased membership and exposure. Think about Children watching the NAB Cup this year who may not have a solid bond to a team yet. What do kids like to do? They like to get on whoever is winning. Hopefully they stick around and become a new generation of Bulldogs supporters. We're not the battling Club anymore, we're not the underdogs and we're not the club that thinks near enough is good enough and just simply surviving is an acceptable achievement.

LongWait
16-03-2010, 11:31 PM
This thread reflects a deep-seated fear of failure. If we keep a lid on it and talk down our chances, then our expectations will still be met even if we only finish 3rd or 4th. To expect to win the flag is to invite disappointment.

I welcome the risk of disappointment and failure. I'd rather dream of glory and believe that this year it will be different. I've waited all of my life for my team to be the side everyone else fears and I have no hesitation in saying "we are flag favorites and we deserve to be."

westdog54
17-03-2010, 11:28 AM
This thread reflects a deep-seated fear of failure. If we keep a lid on it and talk down our chances, then our expectations will still be met even if we only finish 3rd or 4th. To expect to win the flag is to invite disappointment.

I welcome the risk of disappointment and failure. I'd rather dream of glory and believe that this year it will be different. I've waited all of my life for my team to be the side everyone else fears and I have no hesitation in saying "we are flag favorites and we deserve to be."

Well said. Expectation is not a bad thing.

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 11:39 AM

You'd expect that from 'The Filth';)

Greystache
17-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Agree. I can't understand why some of our supporters are so desperate to be the underdogs, keep a lid on things, or fly under the radar. It didn't and hasn't ever done any good for us. teams don't go into finals already psychologically beaten by a team that tries to go unnoticed. There's a reason why clubs like Essendon and Hawthorn win premierships the year they are up, because they expect to, and so do their opposition.

We don't want to become obnoxious, arrogant, tools like a lot of Geelong supporters are now, but we also don't want to be the little kid in the corner who’d stop getting bullied if they just stood up for themselves like they’re capable of anymore either.

KT31
17-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Agree. I can't understand why some of our supporters are so desperate to be the underdogs, keep a lid on things, or fly under the radar. It didn't and hasn't ever done any good for us. teams don't go into finals already psychologically beaten by a team that tries to go unnoticed. There's a reason why clubs like Essendon and Hawthorn win premierships the year they are up, because they expect to, and so do their opposition.

Agree, forget being Underdogs, look where that has got us.
Lets approach this season different go in confident, believe we are the best, believe we can beat all comers and win the BLOODY FLAG !!!

SPower
17-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I have been a supporter/member for over 50 years, over that period of time we have had many, many lows .
Our current Board's mantra is to build a Bulldogs dynasty of lasting success, and why not,
other clubs have continued success and why not us.!
Our managment are the equal of any in the comp, coaching staff are second to none,
let's sit back and enjoy the ride. Let us be envied by other clubs, sure we have not yet won another flag but let's rejoice in success and be proud - 2 PF in 2 years is a decent apprenticeship. Our current list is impressive so that next step may not be too far away.

Having said all the above, Saints,Geelong,Collingwood, Adelaide and perhaps Brisbane
are going to be the main competition this year with WCE and Port Adelaide expected to improve as well.

We are no longer the down trodden underdogs, our march is on to glory !!!