PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow makes Bulldogs wait

divvydan
16-03-2010, 02:15 AM
http://images.theage.com.au/2010/03/15/1225786/svRF_HARBROW-300x0.jpg

MICHAEL GLEESON
The Age
March 16, 2010

AS A former Queenslander whom new Gold Coast recruiter Scott Clayton found as a diamond-in-the-rough rookie for the Bulldogs, Jarrod Harbrow was already considered a likely Gold Coast recruiting target.

Speculation that he will be in the Gold Coast's inaugural team will only be heightened by a decision by the out-of-contract player and his manager to put off discussions for a new contract until the end of the season.

The Dogs had sought to begin negotiations on a new contract a fortnight ago but were told by Harbrow's manager, Peter Lenton, that they wanted to halt discussions until the end of the year.

Article in Full (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/harbrow-makes-bulldogs-wait-20100315-q9pf.html)

chef
16-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Smart move for Harbrow(another good season and he could be AA and a top 5 in our BF), horrible move for us as we(or just me) have to contemplate the worst(leaving to go to GC).

But........... I would rather lose him than Cooney.

The Coon Dog
16-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Anyone else just feel as though he's gone?

SonofScray
16-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Yes, would be a downer to have him leave but I wouldn't be surprised, a chance to head closer to home and really capitalise on his rise in status as a footballer. The down side is that he loses his chance to be a part of a team really at its peak and playing for keeps, a new team is a bit of uncharted territory and could be a struggle early.

Won't begrudge any decision he makes, he has worked his arse off to make it as a player and has given us his best to date. Hopefully he stays!

comrade
16-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Yeah, I've resigned myself to it. All we can do is hope he has a solid year, lock him in for a top 3 spot in the B&F (to increase his value) and try not to throw up when we see him play in a GC jumper.

chef
16-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Yes, hopefully he leaves as a premiership player so it won't hurt as much.

Mantis
16-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Not sure, I guess it's not a great thing that he is holding off talks, but he really needs to look after his best interests so it is probably the correct call on (delaying talks). He seems to be very popular amongst the playing group and is held in high regard by the coaching staff so I am very hopeful he stays as I love watching him in action.

One thing for sure is that James Fantasia is in for a massive year and if he can keep our out of contracted players together (the likes of Cooney, Griffen & Harbrow) we should build a monument of him outside Whitten Oval signifying this achievement.

aker39
16-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Didn't we have a player last year put off talks until the end of the year?

Mantis
16-03-2010, 09:47 AM

We did, but I think the landscape is quite different with GC being a much greater threat due to the amount of $$'s they can offer.

Sockeye Salmon
16-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Enjoy watching his last year as a Bulldog.

bornadog
16-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Mr Lake.

Cyberdoggie
16-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd hate to see him go as i think he has the right work ethic and determination for our side.

My worry for him is that he would fade into obscurity if he went to the GC, whereas he could be a football great if he stayed with us.

We will be forced to have a turnover of senior players next year with the GC and Scott Clayton swooping on his ex's.

We will need salary room to keep promising players and that means getting rid of Aker, Eagle, and possibly Brad Johnson. You would not want to be on the wrong side of 30 at the end of the year. That includes the Bearded one.

Bulldog4life
16-03-2010, 10:38 AM

No more than Cooney & Griffen who I think are also going to wait till the end of the season. In my opinion after reading the article I don't think it is a lay down misere that he is going to leave for sure at all. Actually I feel a little more comfortable that he might stay, after reading what his manager said, that I felt beforehand.

The Underdog
16-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I've resigned myself to it. All we can do is hope he has a solid year, lock him in for a top 3 spot in the B&F (to increase his value) and try not to throw up when we see him play in a GC jumper.

If GC are going to wear that red thing they currently have I defy anyone to not throw up when they see it.
Unfortunately when we see Jarrod running around in it next year it'll make me cry at the same time.
I've got a feeling another Aboriginal player with the initials JH may also be going with him, but that is based on nothing other than a gut feel.

chef
16-03-2010, 10:54 AM
We did, but I think the landscape is quite different with GC being a much greater threat due to the amount of $$'s they can offer.

And the bigger threat is they can just sign him, no trade and no worrying about someone taking him in a better draft position.

The Pie Man
16-03-2010, 11:46 AM

I do - and his loss will hurt. My perception is that he's been groomed as the run/deliver from the back half that Gilbee was a few years ago, and with age on his side, keeping him in this role will be massively beneficial.

Losing him means a few years work is wasted (well if he plays well this year and helps us to a flag then 'wasted' is a harsh term) and we have to start again on the attacking back half setup.

Mantis
16-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I do - and his loss will hurt. My perception is that he's been groomed as the run/deliver from the back half that Gilbee was a few years ago, and with age on his side, keeping him in this role will be massively beneficial.

Losing him means a few years work is wasted (well if he plays well this year and helps us to a flag then 'wasted' is a harsh term) and we have to start again on the attacking back half setup.

Howard & Tutt were drafted with this attacking HB role in mind, but they are a long way back at present. Perhaps we will see Wood and Addison be given more opportunities if Harbrow departs which may not be a bad thing, but I definitely want to keep him.

I'm not looking forward to the post-season contract discussions.

The Underdog
16-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Howard & Tutt were drafted with this attacking HB role in mind, but they are a long way back at present. Perhaps we will see Wood and Addison be given more opportunities if Harbrow departs which may not be a bad thing, but I definitely want to keep him.

I'm not looking forward to the post-season contract discussions.

Wood could be one to fill the role. He seems quite quick but his kicking possibly needs some work if he's to really make it.
It's going to be an ugly couple of years all around with GC and GWS.

Jasper
16-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Probably not a bad thing for us that he decides to wait out the season.
He gets the opportunity to raise his game to All Australian level (only a hair off last season) to maximise his value.
Being a premiership player wouldn't hurt either.

We clearly couldn't give him $500K or whatever GC17 offer him, but with Eagleton and possibly Johnson in their last seasons, there should be a few bucks available to him to at least make a decent offer

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Probably not a bad thing for us that he decides to wait out the season.
He gets the opportunity to raise his game to All Australian level (only a hair off last season) to maximise his value.
Being a premiership player wouldn't hurt either.

We clearly couldn't give him $500K or whatever GC17 offer him, but with Eagleton and possibly Johnson in their last seasons, there should be a few bucks available to him to at least make a decent offer

Interesting post CG. Lake played his career-best season coming out of contract, so we know that it can certainly have a motivating influence on a players' mindset to try to put themselves forward in the best possible light.

As for the value of his contract and ridiculous numbers being bandied about, let's not forget that at the start of last season he wasn't even in our best 22, and was almost 'discovered' as a backman by accident.. a lot of the credit has to go to our coaching setup to be able to maximise his assets coming out of the back half, but Jarrod and the GC will be kidding themselves if they think that half a season a career makes. He is best off continuing his development curve with those that have taken him this far, but of course, money talks. If he does leave, we will miss his dash and daring (married to a higher than average error rate at times), but let's wish him well and not imagine for a moment that he is irreplaceable, and we shouldn't mortgage our future trying to keep a player for more than he is worth.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Yep, no doubt all clubs will be going through this at some stage...the thing with Harbrow is he was clearly our biggest impover last season and his impact helped us make the step from a filler club in the eight to a real contender! I feel that he is very important to the future make up of our side and one we need to hold onto, i reckon there is still more impovement in him and that will only make him more important!

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Might need to change username soon :(

The Underdog
16-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Might need to change username soon :(

GC17 perhaps:(

Go_Dogs
16-03-2010, 03:30 PM
If Harbrow goes, I bet we lose Hill too.

I think I'm going to stay away from all of these threads, because they are already getting on my nerves and are also quite depressing! Boo GC17!

jazzadogs
16-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't read the Age, but a friend told me that during the talk about players being signed in that off-season period, Harbrow was mentioned by the Age. Did anyone else see this?

I don't want to lose Harbrow, and would be disappointed if he left just like I'd be disappointed if any Bulldogs left.

This year, with Aker and Eagle taking pay cuts, Lake staying for (probably) less than he was offered elsewhere, I think we've started to build a culture whereby the team is more important than money.

Now it's up to Coon, Griff, Harbrow, Reid etc. to continue developing this mindset amongst our players. Having a strong culture like that will also help when free agency comes in.

BulldogBelle
16-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes, hopefully he leaves as a premiership player so it won't hurt as much.

The only way it will be acceptable:(

chef
16-03-2010, 03:50 PM
]I don't read the Age, but a friend told me that during the talk about players being signed in that off-season period, Harbrow was mentioned by the Age. Did anyone else see this?[/B]
I don't want to lose Harbrow, and would be disappointed if he left just like I'd be disappointed if any Bulldogs left.

This year, with Aker and Eagle taking pay cuts, Lake staying for (probably) less than he was offered elsewhere, I think we've started to build a culture whereby the team is more important than money.

Now it's up to Coon, Griff, Harbrow, Reid etc. to continue developing this mindset amongst our players. Having a strong culture like that will also help when free agency comes in.

It was in the H/S.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6906&highlight=Harbrow

jazzadogs
16-03-2010, 03:57 PM
It was in the H/S.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6906&highlight=Harbrow
I even commented on that thread...whoops. Thanks chef.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Smart move by Harbrow(another good season and he could be AA and a top 5 in our BF), horrible move for us as we(or just me) have to contemplate the worst(leaving to go to GC).

But........... I would rather lose him than Cooney.

Over my dead body!!
We have put in too much work to bring this lad up to speed
and What? so that we are raped and pillaged by other clubs,
this goes for all players on our list. CEDE NULLIS.

EasternWest
16-03-2010, 05:33 PM

It's funny isn't it? Although there was no certainty regarding Lake remaining, I always had a feeling that he would. Unfortunately, I'm not getting the same feeling with Jarrod.

Not that I'm the oracle of course!

Dry Rot
16-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Griffen has been mentioned a few times here - I thought he was contracted to end 2011?

chef
16-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Griffen has been mentioned a few times here - I thought he was contracted to end 2011?

No, this year.

Dry Rot
16-03-2010, 08:02 PM
No, this year.

Thanks - so Cooney and Griff come off contract end of this season? Bugger.

AndrewP6
16-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm not at all confident he'll stay, and would be extremely disappointed in him leaving (big money or not)...

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I take it that expanding the comp ultimately means more money for us? And that we all agreed to expand the comp? So we have to give up something for this extra return? We can't bury our heads in the sand and say no-one can leave. We don't have the money, anyway. The economics of it suggest some player(s) will take the bait.

comrade
16-03-2010, 10:31 PM
He'd be a big loss, not only on the field but off as it's clear he is highly respected at the Club and has taken on a leadership role for the indigenous players.

That being said, I reckon we've got a Rookie on our list that could replace Harbrow, if he were to leave us. He's also pretty (very) small and nippy, and he's made the back pocket his own throughout his junior career.

He does weigh slightly more though :)

jazzadogs
16-03-2010, 10:34 PM
He'd be a big loss, not only on the field but off as it's clear he is highly respected at the Club and has taken on a leadership role for the indigenous players.

That being said, I reckon we've got a Rookie on our list that could replace Harbrow, if he were to leave us. He's also pretty (very) small and nippy, and he's made the back pocket his own throughout his junior career.

He does weigh slightly more though :)
Instead of running around the opposition forwards he can run through them...

FrediKanoute
16-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Interesting post CG. Lake played his career-best season coming out of contract, so we know that it can certainly have a motivating influence on a players' mindset to try to put themselves forward in the best possible light.

As for the value of his contract and ridiculous numbers being bandied about, let's not forget that at the start of last season he wasn't even in our best 22, and was almost 'discovered' as a backman by accident.. a lot of the credit has to go to our coaching setup to be able to maximise his assets coming out of the back half, but Jarrod and the GC will be kidding themselves if they think that half a season a career makes. He is best off continuing his development curve with those that have taken him this far, but of course, money talks. If he does leave, we will miss his dash and daring (married to a higher than average error rate at times), but let's wish him well and not imagine for a moment that he is irreplaceable, and we shouldn't mortgage our future trying to keep a player for more than he is worth.

GC are going to inflate the real worth of players. Harbrow is an important cog in our side and will be difficult to replace, but not impossible. I wouldn't be paying over the odds for him.

Mantis
17-03-2010, 08:44 AM
GC are going to inflate the real worth of players. Harbrow is an important cog in our side and will be difficult to replace, but not impossible. I wouldn't be paying over the odds for him.

See I don't agree with this comment.

With the modern game becoming a 'zone fest' it is refreshing to see a player in the back half take the game on and be relatively successful in doing so. Harbrow's ability to duck and weave his way through traffic and 'break open' the game is reasonably rare and this ability makes him a very valuable commodity.

Sure I don't want to pay 'over the odds' to keep him, but I hope we are able to put forward a package that will make entice him to stay.

Go_Dogs
17-03-2010, 11:40 AM

No, this year.

I seemed to recall he was contracted to 2011 too from an article a year or two ago, but apparently not. :confused:

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm interested in winning a premiership

If we win won and Harbrow leaves I can deal with that - its not what I want, but my gaze is too firmly focused to worry about losing a player at this stage

KT31
17-03-2010, 02:17 PM
For all we know Gold Coast have already signed Harbrow.
If we win this years flag, IMO he will regret the desision.

EasternWest
17-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm interested in winning a premiership

If we win won and Harbrow leaves I can deal with that - its not what I want, but my gaze is too firmly focused to worry about losing a player at this stage

And if we lose and Harbrow leaves?

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2010, 02:38 PM
And if we lose and Harbrow leaves?

The black dog of depression sets in and I'm doubly unhappy

EasternWest
17-03-2010, 03:49 PM
The black dog of depression sets in and I'm doubly unhappy

Fair enough. It just seemed like you were willing to accept a GF win at any cost. Mind you, I guess I am too.

immortalmike
18-03-2010, 01:12 AM
I seemed to recall he was contracted to 2011 too from an article a year or two ago, but apparently not. :confused:

I just found this article that says he's contracted to 2011.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23918292-23211,00.html?from=public_rss

Not sure what to makeof this.

Doc26
18-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I just found this article that says he's contracted to 2011.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23918292-23211,00.html?from=public_rss

Not sure what to makeof this.

Unfortunately I suspect that it's not inclusive of 2011 but simply to 2011

Pickenitup
18-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Had a chat to Jarrod at the season launch very much loves the Bulldogs and i get the feeling he will stay
by the way why wouldnt you wait until the end of the season to increase your contract with the Dogs

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Why anyone who could attract Good $$$ at their existing club and have the chance for finals for quite a few years would think about joining a "New" club that probably won't have a sniff of glory for maybe 6-8 years (Freo) astounds me.
Stay a DOG Jarrod and earn a few $$$ and ultimate Glory

ledge
18-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Why anyone who could attract Good $$$ at their existing club and have the chance for finals for quite a few years would think about joining a "New" club that probably won't have a sniff of glory for maybe 6-8 years (Freo) astounds me.
Stay a DOG Jarrod and earn a few $$$ and ultimate Glory

If your an older player and has done it all I think you would certainly look at dollars.

Also depends on the manager and how he spins it, remember the bigger pay his player gets the more money I would think he would get. Being on a percentage I imagine.

immortalmike
19-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Unfortunately I suspect that it's not inclusive of 2011 but simply to 2011

Then does that mean Gia, Cross, Boyd and Morris are also coming out of contract this year.
If so it's going to be an interesting off season.

EasternWest
19-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Had a chat to Jarrod at the season launch very much loves the Bulldogs and i get the feeling he will stay
by the way why wouldnt you wait until the end of the season to increase your contract with the Dogs

That's a very good point..... If Jarrod has a great year.

It could bite him in the bum if he has a bad year however.

LostDoggy
19-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I too, would hate to see Jarrod leave but just hope that Griff and Cooney don't get lured by the big $'s too. Ideally, in a perfect world, we will be creating some room in our salary cap with some retirements at the end of the season, and we can then come up with attractive packages for these guys. (and we win the BIG ONE!)

LostDoggy
20-03-2010, 01:56 PM
A lot of players put off contract talks, and obviously Jarrod has been told to do this by his management. I still don't think he will even leave the club, he is only looking out for his own interests, as he could also have another improved year & if he does it would give him more bargaining power against the club.

Lake did the same thing last year & in the end stayed, i am pretty confident that Jarrod will stay also.