PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs offer rookie Brodie Moles a just reward

chef
16-03-2010, 08:08 AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/bulldogs-offer-rookie-brodie-moles-a-just-reward/story-e6frg7mf-1225841115488

Bulldogs offer rookie Brodie Moles a just reward

THE Western Bulldogs will reward midfield battler Brodie Moles as early as today by upgrading him from the club's rookie list.
The 24-year-old has been the competition's surprise package during the pre-season, and he now appears certain to be named in the starting 22 for his senior debut against Collingwood in the Etihad Stadium round-one blockbuster on Sunday week.

Moles' form in four matches for his new club in the NAB Cup has been excellent. He has averaged 73 minutes a game for an average of 17 disposals as part of the Bulldogs' midfield rotation.

The Tasmanian represented his state at VFL level before being recruited by Geelong as a rookiea little more than two years ago.

Despite finishing third in the Cats' VFL team's best and fairest award last year from 17 games, the closest he came to getting a look-in at the elite level was two NAB Cup appearances 12 months ago.

Moles was rated highly by Geelong's football department, but because of the strong midfield opposition he already faced within the Cats' group, his age, and some inconsistent form, he was not promoted to their primary list.

He was taken by the Dogs with their first pick, at No 19 overall, in the rookie draft last December as a mature-age selection.

Moles' earlier-than-expected promotion to centre stage will also be fast-tracked by the likely absences of captain Brad Johnson (calf), Callan Ward (groin) and Nathan Eagleton (hamstring).

Mantis
16-03-2010, 08:36 AM
With this news he would be a lock for selection in rd 1.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Had a great time on Saturday night yelling "MOLEY MOLEY MOLEY" every time he got the ball. (Those who have seen Goldmember will understand). :D

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Awesome news, hes quickly become a fav of mine for sure....cant wait to see him out on the ground for the real stuff in rd1.....

bornadog
16-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Good on him, its easy to just quit at the top level if you don't get drafted, but through hard work and determination, anything can happen.

divvydan
16-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Good on him for making the most of the opportunity that's come his way. That's all you can ever ask of a player drafted. On a related note, anyone know how Howard is travelling and when he might be available to play in the VFL?

cambo
16-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Awesome news, hes quickly become a fav of mine for sure....cant wait to see him out on the ground for the real stuff in rd1.....

Agree 100%
all clubs should be looking for at least 1 mature age recruit a year

Go Moleseeeee!!!!!

BulldogBelle
16-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Excellent news - well deserving of the promotion. :)

Mantis
16-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Good on him for making the most of the opportunity that's come his way. That's all you can ever ask of a player drafted. On a related note, anyone know how Howard is travelling and when he might be available to play in the VFL?

Starts running very soon (may have started), but is probably still 8 weeks away from playing. The fitness staff want to give him a 'mini pre-season' so that his body is in good shape when he returns to the field.

divvydan
16-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Starts running very soon (may have started), but is probably still 8 weeks away from playing. The fitness staff want to give him a 'mini pre-season' so that his body is in good shape when he returns to the field.

Thanks for that Mantis, what they're doing makes sense, no point rushing him in underprepared.

mighty_west
16-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Well done Brodie, his form has been outstanding, you would never have guessed that he never got an opportunity at AFL level if you've watched him play so far in the NAB, he fits in our midfield as well as Barry Hall does up forward, i also like him because he is an inside and outside player.

I wonder how many raised an eyebrow whe he was picked first in our rookie draft last year, i was one i must admit, knowing that we were also going to select another VFL player in Rose.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Great news for Moles.

Hope he makes the most of it, and from what I've seen in the NAB Cup, I'm sure he will.

Another thumbs up for the recruiting department.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks for that Mantis, what they're doing makes sense, no point rushing him in underprepared.

Agreed. Howard has plenty of time on his side, and we need to give him every opportunity to get his body right, which will allow him better and more continuous development once he is up and about.

Any word on Tiller and Reid, Mantis?

jazzadogs
16-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Congratulations to Brodie, he's definitely in the Supercoach now.

Ovatheboarder
16-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Congratulations to Brodie, a fantastic example of perserverance and oppurtunity. He has obviously had the talent and seems to have a great work ethic and now gets an opportunity to show his stuff.
My spies tell me Howard has been running for a few weeks, pain free and moving well.

AndrewP6
16-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Had a great time on Saturday night yelling "MOLEY MOLEY MOLEY" every time he got the ball. (Those who have seen Goldmember will understand). :D

Haha! Hadn't thought of that... now it'll be stuck in my head.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 08:41 PM
He just looks a natural doesnt he. Seems to exude class and runs hard too.

angelopetraglia
16-03-2010, 09:28 PM
He looks to have such amazing balance when kicking. A very classical kicking action.

Absolute lock for SuperCoach.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Well done Brodie!

Dry Rot
16-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Rookie can never break into the best midfield and premiers, gets delisted, gets picked up as a mature age rookie by a team with the second or third best midfield and equally difficult to break into, works his guts at training, gets a chance to play pre-season and grabs it with both hands, promoted off the rookie list and likely to play his first AFL game against the fourth best team in front of a sellout crowd.

Great story and one that I hope registers with all our recent draft picks.

macca
17-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Not only that, but picked good enough in a team that just won the nab cup!

OLD SCRAGGer
17-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Just curious, has any club had as much success as we have with Rookies? Morris, Harbrow, Boyd, now Moles:confused::confused::)

samr
17-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Just curious, has any club had as much success as we have with Rookies? Morris, Harbrow, Boyd, now Moles:confused::confused::)

And don't forget picken! He is still improving too, could be a player for a number of years.

westdog54
17-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Haha! Hadn't thought of that... now it'll be stuck in my head.

QEExYuRelbg

One of the first thoughts that came to my mind

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Well done son-of Dimma.

azabob
17-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Has anything offical been announced yet?

Doc26
17-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Will no doubt find himself selected for Round 1 with no Cal Ward :( nor Eagle likely to be available.

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Persistence, persistence, persistence! A character trait that many could learn from in things not football as well. A bit like Susan Alberti and the way she has lived her life away from footy!

BulldogBelle
17-03-2010, 06:15 PM

You can add to that Liam Picken.

The Adelaide Connection
17-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I threw Moles in my Dreamteam after the first game and continue to be impressed.

My only concern is what happens when the player that is on the Long term injury list (Howard?) recovers? Does that mean he goes back on the rookie list because we have no space?

divvydan
17-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Rookie list has been great for a number of clubs.

Here is a team and a whole bunch of others;

All-time Rookie Draft Team

B: Nathan Bassett 210 games Mal Michael 238 games Ben Rutten 126 games

HB: Tarkyn Lockyear 216 games Nathan Bock 100 games Nick Maxwell 118 games

C: James McDonald (VC) 235 games Brett Kirk (C) 217 games Danyle Pearce 93 games

HF: Aaron Davey 119 games Quentin Lynch 150 games Max Rooke 134 games

F: Jason Porplyzia 68 games Russell Robertson 228 games Stephen Milne 188 games

Ruck: Dean Cox 180 games Matthew Boyd 140 games Brad Sewell 104 games

Bench: Aaron Sandilands 135 games Chad Fletcher 179 games Matthew Bishop 150 games Tadhg Kennelly158 games

The unlucky ones: Dean Brogan, Darren Jolly, Michael Osborne, Michael Firrito, Josh Drummond, Nathan Foley, Matt Priddis, Clinton Young, Mark Johnson, Dale Morris, Andrew Carrazzo, Bret Thornton, Nathan Carroll, Michael Doughty, Shannon Byrnes, Damien Peverill, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Andrew Lovett, Robert Copeland, Joel Patfull, Stephen Gilham, Robert Campbell

Certainly has a history of finding key backmen and ruckmen but not as successful in finding key forwards.

AndrewP6
17-03-2010, 10:09 PM

C: James McDonald (VC) 235 games Brett Kirk (C) 217 games Danyle Pearce 93 games

Bench: Aaron Sandilands 135 games Chad Fletcher 179 games Matthew Bishop 150 games Tadhg Kennelly158 games

The unlucky ones: Dean Brogan, Darren Jolly, Michael Osborne, Michael Firrito, Josh Drummond, Nathan Foley, Matt Priddis, Clinton Young, Mark Johnson, Dale Morris, Andrew Carrazzo, Bret Thornton, Nathan Carroll, Michael Doughty, Shannon Byrnes, Damien Peverill, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Andrew Lovett, Robert Copeland, Joel Patfull, Stephen Gilham, Robert Campbell

Certainly has a history of finding key backmen and ruckmen but not as successful in finding key forwards.

Wow, that's impressive... never realised some of those blokes were off rookie lists.

westdog54
17-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I threw Moles in my Dreamteam after the first game and continue to be impressed.

My only concern is what happens when the player that is on the Long term injury list (Howard?) recovers? Does that mean he goes back on the rookie list because we have no space?

Unless someone else is injured long term, he goes back to the rookie list.

I think there's a rule about a certain time where we can promote a rookie to the senior list regardless of injury.

TCD, can you help me on this one?

AndrewP6
17-03-2010, 10:21 PM
One of the first thoughts that came to my mind

:D Jeez that's a funny movie... hadn't seen it in a while, thanks for the clip!

On the "Mole" theme, anyone remember John Candy in "Uncle Buck"? - (Skip to about the two minute mark for the best bit!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIR8QtMv1W4&feature=related

jazzadogs
17-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Unless someone else is injured long term, he goes back to the rookie list.

I think there's a rule about a certain time where we can promote a rookie to the senior list regardless of injury.

TCD, can you help me on this one?
I believe it's round 11, but TCD will no doubt be able to confirm. A similar thing happened with Picken last year.

In that "Greatest team of Rookies" I'd have Morris in ahead of Maxwell. Not being biased, Morris is just a better footballer.

anfo27
17-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Well done son-of Dimma.

From the first game i saw him i thought he reminded me of Dimma.

If Hahn and Ward play first round as the papers tend to suggest then it looks to be out of Everitt & Moles for that last spot.

Would like to have Brodie in the dreamteam just not sure how long he will last if he does get a go.

Dry Rot
17-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Terrific post!

Bold bit is interesting - forwards and midfielders tend to get the most attention/most valued by recruiters and coaches.

alwaysadog
18-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Met him tonight at the season launch and congratulated him on his elevation. He says it's all speculation and he's not sure about round one, but aims to make the most of any opportunity he gets.

A very personable and committed young man.

Doc26
18-03-2010, 10:04 AM
If Hahn and Ward play first round as the papers tend to suggest then it looks to be out of Everitt & Moles for that last spot.

Cal has a 4 week injury and unfortunately wont be there for Round 1.

comrade
18-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Cal has a 4 week injury and unfortunately wont be there for Round 1.

Source?

The Pie Man
18-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Met him tonight at the season launch and congratulated him on his elevation. He says it's all speculation and he's not sure about round one, but aims to make the most of any opportunity he gets.

A very personable and committed young man.

There's been nothing on the AFL website to officially annoucne this - they announced 7 rookie elevations earlier this week, but Moles name was not amongst them.

:confused:

Doc26
18-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Source?

I'm the source ;) The injury was sustained on Cal's delivery into the forward line in the same piece of play that ended in Mitch's injury.

comrade
18-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm the source ;) The injury was sustained on Cal's delivery into the forward line in the same piece of play that ended in Mitch's injury.

That's a shame. I thought he was in the clear with reports that a scan showed no serious damage - is it a one off type injury or something more nefarious (OP)?

So we'll definitely be without Ward, Johnno, and Eagle for Round 1, with Hahn also looking unlikely.

Provides a good opportunity for the guys on the fringe to put their hand up.

Doc26
18-03-2010, 10:29 AM
That's a shame. I thought he was in the clear with reports that a scan showed no serious damage - is it a one off type injury or something more nefarious (OP)?

So we'll definitely be without Ward, Johnno, and Eagle for Round 1, with Hahn also looking unlikely.

Provides a good opportunity for the guys on the fringe to put their hand up.

Well hopefully is a one off injury and does not appear related to OP. Not a serious injury.

comrade
18-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Well hopefully is a one off injury and does not appear related to OP. Not a serious injury.

Cheers Doc.

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 11:17 AM
There's been nothing on the AFL website to officially annoucne this - they announced 7 rookie elevations earlier this week, but Moles name was not amongst them.

:confused:

Yeah i noticed theres been nothing as well...yet last night at the season launch rocket said as of yesterday(meaning Tuesday) he was promoted......find it strange there isnt even anything on the website.....

Go_Dogs
18-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the information Doc.

Certainly looks like Everitt, Hill, Moles and Addison are going to get opportunities now. Hopefully they can all put their best feet forward on the weekend.

EasternWest
18-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Just super work there DD.

stefoid
19-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Cheers Doc.

You know that Lake would have marked that ball had Hall not marked it, you can see from various pictures of the event, such as your avatar.

As it was, Lake kicked the goal anyway. Nice to know that during a hectic last minute of a grand final, if we are behind, Lake has free reign to run down to the business end and try to kick a goal. We all know he is a fantastic pack mark without a direct defender.

comrade
19-03-2010, 05:02 PM
You know that Lake would have marked that ball had Hall not marked it, you can see from various pictures of the event, such as your avatar.

As it was, Lake kicked the goal anyway. Nice to know that during a hectic last minute of a grand final, if we are behind, Lake has free reign to run down to the business end and try to kick a goal. We all know he is a fantastic pack mark without a direct defender.

Considering the night he was having, there is no way Lake would have marked that ball.

jazzadogs
19-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Considering the night he was having, there is no way Lake would have marked that ball.
I said that he would mark it the day after and got shot down haha. I don't necessarily think he would have marked it, but I doubt Barry would have marked it if Lake hadn't been there.

LostDoggy
19-03-2010, 06:09 PM
:D Jeez that's a funny movie... hadn't seen it in a while, thanks for the clip!

On the "Mole" theme, anyone remember John Candy in "Uncle Buck"? - (Skip to about the two minute mark for the best bit!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIR8QtMv1W4&feature=related

Love that movie too AndrewP6!!

"Here's a quarter. Go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face"!! :D

mjp
19-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Agree. I thought for a moment he had found yet another way to get in the way!

jazzadogs
21-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Whilst this clip does highlight how pathetic Big Brother is, the final 5seconds is what I think every time Brodie gets the ball...someone even had a banner with this written on it the other night.

otgChrcykuE