PDA

View Full Version : Silver lining re injuries

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 09:59 PM
If there is a silver lining, it's that Eade had to leave Harbrow, Williams, Higgins and Addison on last night.

All aquitted themselves well and will be all the better for the experience.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2007, 10:12 PM
If there is a silver lining, it's that Eade had to leave Harbrow, Williams, Higgins and Addison on last night.

All aquitted themselves well and will be all the better for the experience.

Agreed

Being the positive thinker I am I was already at half time trying to put a positive spin on losing Griffen and Cross with ACL injuries. As in who would step up and who would benefit from the opportunities created...

McMahon would have to be the obvious choice to fill the Griffen role but I noted Ray got opportunities last night and Addison may well get opportunities as a rebounding defender also.

Will Cross's injury be the making of Gia? He's obviously IMO capable but seems to struggle to produce the consistently high performances he does show he is capable of. He threw himself around last night at the Gabba

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Yes, Gia really lifted last night but he is now an almost a senior player.

Probably none of us would have expected all of Harbrow, Williams, Higgins and Addison to be on for all of the second half.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Probably none of us would have expected all of Harbrow, Williams, Higgins and Addison to be on for all of the second half.

Fair call

Gia is most definitely a senior player but I believe its now Gia, Jordie, Hargraves, Harris, Morris, Gilbo, Mitch, Murph, DMoz etcs team - they are now the senior players and its up to them to carry us week in, week out.

That said there is still a fair bit of room for improvement in them, given that the Rohde years were a complete right off in terms of them moving forward.

We need as many of them as possible to turn into GUNS - we need more stars in the team

bornadog
10-06-2007, 11:31 PM

Yes they gained some vaulable experience, not bad for three teenagers and a second gamer.

Go_Dogs
11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I quite like the idea of playing Ray as a running half back. He's got the overhead ability, and the motor to be very good in that role.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I quite like the idea of playing Ray as a running half back. He's got the overhead ability, and the motor to be very good in that role.

It looked a good role for him in terms of continuing to improve his defensive efforts and teaching him how to find the ball a bit more consistently

bornadog
11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
It looked a good role for him in terms of continuing to improve his defensive efforts and teaching him how to find the ball a bit more consistently

One thing Ray must improve on is his decision making and not to turn over the ball. He often bombs the ball long, straight to the opposition.

southerncross
11-06-2007, 05:35 PM
One thing Ray must improve on is his decision making and not to turn over the ball. He often bombs the ball long, straight to the opposition.

Certainly not a strength of his but he is improving.

GVGjr
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM

Same here. I think it has some merit. Hasn't he improved his marking this season?

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Same here. I think it has some merit. Hasn't he improved his marking this season?

He's got such ridiculously long arms you figure that eventually he will be good overhead, it should be an asset

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 07:48 PM

Does he just not steady and shank kicks?

Or does he run too far and then not judge very well where his kick is going to go?

Or does he do both?

Whats the solution?

LostDoggy
11-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I was pleasantly surprised when Faz slotted through that goal on the run, my friend joked that it was because he could only see out of one eye.;)

GVGjr
11-06-2007, 08:41 PM
I was pleasantly surprised when Faz slotted through that goal on the run, my friend joked that it was because he could only see out of one eye.;)

I thought all Doggies supporters were one eyed? :)
Actually Ray and Eagleton did well to bounce back from that clash.

alwaysadog
11-06-2007, 08:41 PM
That's the sort of thing he does well, there wasn't a lot of pressure and he was comparatively fresh. When he can make space and kick straight late in the last 1/4, especially from deep in a pocket he will have arrived IMHO.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Ray has certainly improved his marking this season, but I think it's more to do with his body size and confidence, as he was pretty highly regarded overhead as a junior. Now he's feeling more confident, and is stronger in his upper body enabling him to compete and win more overhead contests. He has taken some very courageous marks this season running back with the flight or sitting in the hole.

bornadog
12-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Does he just not steady and shank kicks?

Or does he run too far and then not judge very well where his kick is going to go?

Or does he do both?

Whats the solution?

Yes it is probably a bit of both. Solution, he just has to get more experience and learn more about the game.