PDA

View Full Version : Defending our club in the office/classroom

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Ok, so recently in alot of my Year 12 classes ive had classmates making fun of the fact that i go for the Dogs. They not so much make fun of, but debate about it. Whenever I speak up about our beloved Doggies, they refer to our unsuccessful past history to which i have no comeback.
Now i know im not the only one, but are there any tips for a non witty person like myself to use in a debate in the near future ;)
Feel free to use your own personal experiences too to make this thread a little more enjoyable! :D

wb_age
18-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Rule one, never let a Collingwood flog rant on about their history and premierships.

Yes they won a heap in the early 1900's, but there most recent premiership in 1990 is their only one since 1958.

So there recent history suggests they have only won 2 premierships in 50 odd years compared to our 1.

ledge
18-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I use the line its ok, you live in your past while we make the future.

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Rule one, never let a Collingwood flog rant on about their history and premierships.
So there recent history suggests they have only won 2 premierships in 50 odd years compared to our 1.

^^ Thats a great one I pull that out often :D

I also suggest asking how many brownlow medalists they have playing for them..it will stump most supporters espec. Collingwood ones

Sockeye Salmon
18-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Ok, so recently in alot of my Year 12 classes ive had classmates making fun of the fact that i go for the Dogs. They not so much make fun of, but debate about it. Whenever I speak up about our beloved Doggies, they refer to our unsuccessful past history to which i have no comeback.
Now i know im not the only one, but are there any tips for a non witty person like myself to use in a debate in the near future ;)
Feel free to use your own personal experiences too to make this thread a little more enjoyable! :D

You should have grown up in the 70's. You develop a thick skin.

westdog54
18-03-2010, 11:20 PM

Adelaide supporters: Your club is from SA. That in itself should be a crime.

Brisbane: You had to swallow up a club to become successful. If it weren't for Fitzroy you've be wallowing in the cesspool that was the old Gabba.

Carlton: If you're club isn't cheating, its taking drugs, offering bribes to players or taking photos of wemen without consent.

Collingwood: You've won 1 flag in 50 years and most of your success came when a criminal was bankrolling your club.

Essendon: You realise that now that Kevin Sheedy is gone you've got Buckley's of another flag for 20 years, right?

Fremantle: You've made the finals twice in 15 years. Any chance of doing something with your spot in the league.

Geelong: So who's going to be caught next dealing drugs?

Hawthorn: Isn't your best player one failed test away from 12 weeks off?

Melbourne: Sorry, I didn't recognise you without your Land Rover and Skis

North Melbourne: You should get back that bloke that carried you to two flags. Wayne... something?

Port Adelaide: You're going broke in a two-team town. How does that happen?

Richmond: Our lack of success? I don't even need to bother.

StKilda: See above

Sydney: Isn't it amazing what a quality midfield and attacking footy does for a big forward?

West Coast: How does it feel knowing the best player in the comp carried your club for 5 years.

SPower
18-03-2010, 11:30 PM
As the great Ian Sockeye Salmon said if you were born growing up in the 60's and 70's you grew a very tough and thick hide.

I suggest that for most of the flack you receive if you look at the recent history of the teams causing you grief - our recent history is probably superior so that is probably the best plan of attack.

What's past is history and we are building our present and future - Enjoy the ride.
You are so lucky as when I turned up for school on mondays we nearly always lost and even went through seasons with less than a handfull of wins.

Cheers
SP

hujsh
19-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Won pretty easily at school today with "Where's Essendon going to finish this year? 14th?" Don't remember what provoked it though.

Dry Rot
19-03-2010, 12:07 AM

Tell them that Barry Hall is your godfather, and he's happy to answer their jibes after school face to face.

Alternatively, be stoic, say nothing for now, and then laugh at them every Monday morning after we crush their side.

jazzadogs
19-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Just say "BARRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY".

LostDoggy
19-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Haha I was doing that at work the other day and the loudest person who works there tells me to shut up. In reply I said even louder and longer "Baaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"

Hotdog60
19-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Living through the late 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's to current you just wear it and smile. I think someone wrote "Cause the day is getting closer when the dogs rise up in the west"
When that day comes, they won't have anything to say, but you can give them heaps;)

SonofScray
19-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Throw punches. IMO, that's the Footscray way.

mighty_west
19-03-2010, 01:24 AM
If they are Carlton or St Kilda supporters, goto the Reject or $2 shop and buy yourself a cheap pack of wooden spoons, anytime one opens their mouth, just open your bag and hand them one."i believe this belongs to you?"....with a wink off course..;)

G-Mo77
19-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Whenever I speak up about our beloved Doggies, they refer to our unsuccessful past history to which i have no comeback.

I've never understood why people refer to flags won such a long time ago. Maybe it is because of our lack of success but I don't see any point bragging about something you were never alive to see. From my experience most people that use that "How many premierships have you won?" rubbish are Richmond and Collingwood supporters, mainly Tiges though. They seem to talk up their past glory so much because it is pretty much all they have which I find very sad.

I really don't brag or gloat when we are doing well. I'm a pretty humble supporter so I tend to get left alone in my social and working life. I find that the best way to be. Carry on like a dickhead and it will come back and bite you in the butt.

EasternWest
19-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I always just respond with something like "time will tell".

Then, if we pound their team you can follow it up with "well we were better on the day". If we lose you can say "well, you were better on the day".

I find it's best to be even and measured, despite how I feel inside. Remember, bullies are only looking for emotive and visceral responses. If you don't give it to them, they lose interest.

Twodogs
19-03-2010, 01:27 PM

I dont mind them ranting and raving. I find it quaint and a little bit comical so I just let them go.

Cyberdoggie
19-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Anyone who barracks for a side just because they win all the time is a sheep and has no brain.
Just remember you are the unique snowflake, not them.

You could also use the example of the yankees and the red sox.
Why would you go for the yankees, they win all the time and they are evil.
Imagine being a long suffering red sox fan after they won that first championship for 90 odd years. It would of been the best day of their lives. Whereas when a yankee fan would be over it in 5 minutes and would move on to more important matters like what's for dinner.

LostDoggy
19-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Anyone who barracks for a side just because they win all the time is a sheep and has no brain.

Imagine being a long suffering red sox fan after they won that first championship for 90 odd years. It would of been the best day of their lives. Whereas when a yankee fan would be over it in 5 minutes and would move on to more important matters like what's for dinner.
I love the analaogy, I remember asking myslef in our dark years, why don't I barrack for a sucessful club. The answer was simple, just because I COULDN'T.
As you say WHEN we win the flag, it will just be so much more sweeter for all the wait we have had.

always right
19-03-2010, 02:50 PM
The response is quite simple.

You can never hope to emulate the elation bulldogs supporters will feel when our club finally breaks the drought. That day is nearer all the time

Twodogs
19-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I love the analaogy, I remember asking myslef in our dark years, why don't I barrack for a sucessful club. The answer was simple, just because I COULDN'T.
As you say WHEN we win the flag, it will just be so much more sweeter for all the wait we have had.

My son is 11 years old. Back in 2002 on the way home from yet another spineless thrashing at Etihad a little voice piped up from the back seat and said "Dad, do we have to barrack for the bulldogs?" When I told him that we did and didnt have any choice in the matter he asked that favorite question of 5 year olds "Why?".

I said it was because any dingbat could be a fan of Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton-I mean just have a look at their average supporter for proof of that-and that one day, one beautiful glorius day the bulldogs would come good and win a flag and all the pain we were going through then would make that success all the sweeter.

Gee it was good to see the smile on his face on saturday night!!!:D

Now for that last saturday in September!

LostDoggy
19-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I was one of the few Footscray supporters at school. At primary school (in the 70s) I used to get followed around on a Monday morning by a bunch of classmates chanting "What happened to Footscraaaay, what happened to Footscraaaay". :(

My only comeback then was that we were so strong because we were holding all the other teams up on the ladder. :o

Come on Dogs!! Win a premiership & I might be able to forget those childhood memories!! :D

EasternWest
19-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I was one of the few Footscray supporters at school. At primary school (in the 70s) I used to get followed around on a Monday morning by a bunch of classmates chanting "What happened to Footscraaaay, what happened to Footscraaaay". :(

My only comeback then was that we were so strong because we were holding all the other teams up on the ladder. :o

Come on Dogs!! Win a premiership & I might be able to forget those childhood memories!! :D

The only good thing about that chant was when I could sing it to my Collingwood following sister. God I hated that chant.

Sedat
19-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Just turn around and personally thank them for contributing financially to the funding of our new elite training facility - always guaranteed to give them the irates.

I also tend to use a musical analogy to fans of the larger clubs by likening the Bulldogs to a high quality acquired taste (such as 'Spoon'), and deriding the fans of bigger clubs as a the 'Nickelback' of the AFL (ie: a large bunch of meathead supporters who are mindless followers and cannot think for themselves - I usually save this analogy for the Collingwood supporting family I married into).

Sockeye Salmon
19-03-2010, 09:32 PM

That's fine unless you died the year before aged 89.

turfdog
20-03-2010, 12:14 AM
BRB...A great author once called that sort of talk "incontinence of the tongue". Well in a few weeks time it will be "paralysis of the tongue". They'll have no comeback and you'll be holding your head high.

If they're year 12, they can only have seen games for the past 12 years or so, during which there have only been 4 Victorian teams win premierships, so we're not too far behind on that score.

Put it this way, would you rather barrack for a team that has some past glory and a garbage future, or one that everyone is scared of (except apparently your classmates who obviously haven't seen the bulldogs play lately).

LostDoggy
20-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Some of my combacks:

I barrack for a team not a franchise. (Collingwood supporters) Also - the AFL gets you to the grand final with your fixed fixture:rolleyes: but they cant win the grand final for you.

Bulldog supporters are real supporters - nobody can accuse us of being bandwagon jumpers.

My team doesn't rape women, do drugs, cheat the salary cap,hang out with criminals.....(Carlton, West Coast, Essendon, North Melbourne)

My team is the only working class team left in the comp (Collingwood supporters hate that)

The members/supporters rallied to save my club - only one supporter stepped forward to save yours (Carlton again)

Still haven't developed a good comeback to Adelaide supporters - especially when they say how good it was to win the flag in 1997 :mad:

Essendon - are the most common supporters up here - don't have a good come back really - just "you know Sheedy has gone right and the players don't like Knights" - or "when was the last time you beat the dogs?

There was a particularly obnoxious Carlton supporter who owned the local pub, who used to always get stuck into me about how broke the club was in 1989 - shame he wasn't around a few years ago when Carlton had to beg for money from the AFL:rolley

Flamethrower
20-03-2010, 08:19 PM
All through high school in the 80s I used to cop "Footscray for the VFA". Even during the early 2000s when Rohde took over I had to put up with garbage about how tragic we were, so it pretty sweet to follow one of the current powerhouses of the competition.

LostDoggy
20-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I remind Collingwood supporters of their claims to be the "Manchester United" of the AFL despite the fact that Man U actually win titles. Aside from that you can usually find something depending on who the twat barracks for. I'd rather watch the Dogs with their one premiership cup lighting up the field than watch Richmond, Carlton etc playing their shithouse brand of footy. The best thing you can do is shrug your shoulders and say "I've got other stuff in my life that is far more important than footy so whatever happens, happens"

jazzadogs
21-03-2010, 12:27 AM
I remind Collingwood supporters of their claims to be the "Manchester United" of the AFL despite the fact that Man U actually win titles. Aside from that you can usually find something depending on who the twat barracks for. I'd rather watch the Dogs with their one premiership cup lighting up the field than watch Richmond, Carlton etc playing their shithouse brand of footy. The best thing you can do is shrug your shoulders and say "I've got other stuff in my life that is far more important than footy so whatever happens, happens"

But I don't want to lie...

bornadog
21-03-2010, 03:05 PM
I never defended following the club, I just ignored people having a go at me.

LostDoggy
21-03-2010, 06:46 PM
I talk about the character of our players such as the hard working Cross, or in the past, Chris Grant's self sacrifice. I talk about how we have assembled a genuinely good group of people who appear to have the right values and a concern for the underprivileged. And how that means so much more to me.... so the winning of a premiership will be ever so much sweeter. 'It's in my heart, it's in my soul.......'

LostDoggy
21-03-2010, 11:39 PM
But I don't want to lie...

Ha Ha yeah true! At least you can make them feel like their life is not as interesting and meaningful. Actually who am I kidding, footy rules my weekends!

LostDoggy
22-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Still haven't developed a good comeback to Adelaide supporters - especially when they say how good it was to win the flag in 1997 :mad:

At least we don't live in Adelaide, at least our Safeways stay open past 6pm, at least we don't shag our sisters, your water tastes like shit, Brett Burton looks like Big Bird from Sesame Street, so the appropriate suspension for bashing your wife ala Nathan Bock is 'indefinitely' ie. one week, is that the extent of how high you blokes can count? it's a good thing you haven't won more premierships then, wouldn't want your brain to hurt now would we, talk to me half an hour later when you've caught up, how many times have you lost to Port etc. etc. etc.

And finally.. Graham Cornes. 'Nuff said.

--

** no disrespect meant to our SA Woofers!!!

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Adelaide supporters: Your club is from SA. That in itself should be a crime.

Brisbane: You had to swallow up a club to become successful. If it weren't for Fitzroy you've be wallowing in the cesspool that was the old Gabba.

Carlton: If you're club isn't cheating, its taking drugs, offering bribes to players or taking photos of wemen without consent.

Collingwood: You've won 1 flag in 50 years and most of your success came when a criminal was bankrolling your club.

Essendon: You realise that now that Kevin Sheedy is gone you've got Buckley's of another flag for 20 years, right?

Fremantle: You've made the finals twice in 15 years. Any chance of doing something with your spot in the league.

Geelong: So who's going to be caught next dealing drugs?

Hawthorn: Isn't your best player one failed test away from 12 weeks off?

Melbourne: Sorry, I didn't recognise you without your Land Rover and Skis

North Melbourne: You should get back that bloke that carried you to two flags. Wayne... something?

Port Adelaide: You're going broke in a two-team town. How does that happen?

Richmond: Our lack of success? I don't even need to bother.

StKilda: See above

Sydney: Isn't it amazing what a quality midfield and attacking footy does for a big forward?

West Coast: How does it feel knowing the best player in the comp carried your club for 5 years.

Please, stop my ribs are sore and I cannot get back my breath! :D:D

Twodogs
23-03-2010, 01:44 PM

As others have pointed out they have to live in Adelaide and tht'a the karma right there!

bornadog
23-03-2010, 03:33 PM
At least we don't live in Adelaide, at least our Safeways stay open past 6pm, at least we don't shag our sisters, your water tastes like shit, Brett Burton looks like Big Bird from Sesame Street, so the appropriate suspension for bashing your wife ala Nathan Bock is 'indefinitely' ie. one week, is that the extent of how high you blokes can count? it's a good thing you haven't won more premierships then, wouldn't want your brain to hurt now would we, talk to me half an hour later when you've caught up, how many times have you lost to Port etc. etc. etc.

--

But basically you love Adelaide:D

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 04:22 PM

--

I'm cut

hujsh
23-03-2010, 10:39 PM

--

Should say daughters after the Deaves.