PDA

View Full Version : The leagues most versatile players?

GVGjr
18-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Plenty of players can rotate between forward and midfield duties or a defenders and midfield roles but which players in the league are most adept at moving between forward and defensive duties and being productive in both roles?

ledge
18-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Pavlich, Buddy isnt bad either, as far as plugging a hole but not tagging of course.

GVGjr
18-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Pavlich, Buddy isnt bad either, as far as plugging a hole but not tagging of course.

In recent years has Buddy been moved back to defence much?

Harry Taylor can be moved around a bit and seems to perform well enough.

ledge
18-03-2010, 09:35 PM
In recent years has Buddy been moved back to defence much?

Harry Taylor can be moved around a bit and seems to perform well enough.

No but that wasnt the question.:D

The Adelaide Connection
18-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I think Luke Hodge is another player that immediately springs to my mind. Has obviously been excellent for the Hawks in his defensive role, occasionally gets thrown forward and can kick a goal, and can be a Riccuito like power midfielder to boot. Even when Hawthorn look crap I think that Hodge will usually be a shining light for them.

The Adelaide Connection
18-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Whoa I just got the DeLorean up to 1.21 gigawatts of power and 88 miles per hour and went forward to the end of the season and the answer to most versatile defender/forward will be Brian Lake!

Great Scott!

P.S. We win the flag :D

bornadog
18-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Roughhead at Hawthorn is more likely to be moved between back and forward.

The Coon Dog
18-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I've often been impressed with how well Luke McPharlain from Freo does when he goes forward. Takes a good grab & has often kicked multiple goals.

Brendan Goddard is another who's dangerous when he goes forward as shown in one game last year where he started in the forward line & kicked 4 first quarter goals.

ledge
18-03-2010, 10:35 PM

I agree he is most likely but the question wasnt who was most likely it was who is capable of playing both.
Buddy is needed too much in the forward line but as a player in the backline plugging the hole he is a great reader of the ball coming into the backline.

ledge
18-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Yes Goddard is pretty awesome, that booming kick of his is damaging up forward and he is a hard nut in the backline.
He was always going to be a top player.

jazzadogs
18-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Goddard was going to be my choice. Hodge is the other most obvious.

How many times has Harry Taylor moved out of defence?

Pity Scott Welsh retired, or he would have been an automatic inclusion on this list...

Swoop
19-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I think Simon Goodwin has been someone who has been able to perform at a high level from both ends of the ground over a long period of time.

On the slide both Cameron Bruce and Chad Cornes have performed well in the past but are no longer the forces they once were.

Goddard & Hodge would be the two most obvious choices at the top of their game while Jarad Waite showed the potential to become one of the competitions true quality swingmen however the knee injury has placed that on hold for the time being.

macca
19-03-2010, 01:51 AM
I want to see Lake used in the fwd line more this year. If Williams can keep his body together, it adds another Tall marking option, especially when Hall is off the ground resting.

LAke could do an Alistair Lynch and play out the second half of his career in the fwd line. But A.Lynch was a very good reader of the play.

Adam Hunter springs to mind, was....

chef
19-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Nathan Bock for me.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Michael Johnson from Fremantle is another who I really rate as someone who can switch between backline and forward duties.

I think we have a few in our own backyard too:

Griff can play just about any position, Everitt is another who can hopefully do the same.

GVGjr
19-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Nathan Bock for me.

Michael Johnson from Fremantle is another who I really rate as someone who can switch between backline and forward duties.

I think we have a few in our own backyard too:

Griff can play just about any position, Everitt is another who can hopefully do the same.

Good nominations. So far it's seems the taller guys are more versatile or at least used that way.

GVGjr
19-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Adam Hunter springs to mind, was....

He always seemed to be used in a few positions against us.

comrade
19-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm certainly not suggesting he's the most versatile, but if the NAB Cup is anything to go by, we'll see Mitch Hahn given some different roles during the year.

To answer the original question - Pav and Hodge for me.

chef
19-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Good nominations. So far it's seems the taller guys are more versatile or at least used that way.

Max Rooke would be another.

GVGjr
19-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Paddy Rider gets moved around a bit. He's a player that I'd like to have at the Dogs.

Dry Rot
19-03-2010, 10:34 PM

+1.

IIRC he went back there when Croad went down in the GF and played well.

Suspect that's not the last we'll see of that move.

hujsh
21-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Pavlich>>Cornes/Bruce (even if they're not as influential now)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>swingmen of the AFL

comrade
21-03-2010, 07:08 PM
+1.

IIRC he went back there when Croad went down in the GF and played well.

Suspect that's not the last we'll see of that move.

Robs them of a potent multi-pronged forward line. Most coaches around the league would be happy to see him move into defence.

Mantis
21-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Robs them of a potent multi-pronged forward line. Most coaches around the league would be happy to see him move into defence.

Hawthorn's forward-line already looked very reliant on Franklin & Roughead in our recent NAB Cup clash. They have traded out Williams, have Rioli injured so I couldn't imagine that they could kick a winning score if they send Roughead down back.

LostDoggy
21-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Andrew Embley for me, seems to be able to play a range of positions if asked upon. Can move as small as a midfielder, but still has enough height to trouble larger opponents.