PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, in a galaxy far away...

Dry Rot
19-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Imagine a galaxy far away which is a bizarro parallel universe to ours (you'll also have to overlook the dodgy timeframes of players from slightly different eras. And yes, I'm bored tonight)....

Collingwood, on the verge of bankruptcy and a failure on the field, is relocated and merged with Port Adelaide.

The Swans and Brisbane Lions are bitterly complaining about salary cap concessions given to the Dockers and Eagles due to high cost of living in Perth.

The Essendon Bombers, with few members, shaky financial and only one flag are renamed "The Western Bombers" in a bid for more members.

Hawthorn have no players with dyed hair or silly haircuts, while the Cats are plagued by a slow low skilled midfield.

Meanwhile Footscray, the most wealthy and powerful team in the comp with the most members, has just celebrated it's fifth premiership in a row.

It's the most hated team in the comp, from President Jeff Kennett (recently retired as head of the ACTU) down to their stable of good players which other fans think must be getting under the table payments to stay with the team.

The off-field antics of the Dogs star forward line of Carey, Franklin, Fevola, Didak and Milne along with their midfielders Cousins, Lovett and Montagna are in the news (and the courts) every other week.

But as a Dogs fan in this parallel universe, would you care? Would sustained on-field success make you turn a blind eye to all this?

chef
19-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Imagine a galaxy far away which is a bizarro parallel universe to ours (you'll also have to overlook the dodgy timeframes of players from slightly different eras. And yes, I'm bored tonight)....

Collingwood, on the verge of bankruptcy and a failure on the field, is relocated and merged with Port Adelaide.

The Swans and Brisbane Lions are bitterly complaining about salary cap concessions given to the Dockers and Eagles due to high cost of living in Perth.

The Essendon Bombers, with few members, shaky financial and only one flag are renamed "The Western Bombers" in a bid for more members.

Hawthorn have no players with dyed hair or silly haircuts, while the Cats are plagued by a slow low skilled midfield.

Meanwhile Footscray, the most wealthy and powerful team in the comp with the most members, has just celebrated it's fifth premiership in a row.

It's the most hated team in the comp, from President Jeff Kennett (recently retired as head of the ACTU) down to their stable of good players which other fans think must be getting under the table payments to stay with the team.

The off-field antics of the Dogs star forward line of Carey, Franklin, Fevola, Didak and Milne along with their midfielders Cousins, Lovett and Montagna are in the news (and the courts) every other week.

But as a Dogs fan in this parallel universe, would you care? Would sustained on-field success make you turn a blind eye to all this?

Probably yes.

Dry Rot
19-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Probably yes.

Same answer for me to be honest. And I reckon we'd all become the worst arrogant supporters too.

Probably the same answer too for the admin/management/coaching folk too.

comrade
19-03-2010, 11:12 PM
If I supported a team that included Steven Milne, I would kill myself :D

GVGjr
19-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I used to enjoy watching the NBA but haven't watched it closely at all for years because the players became bigger than the game and I just don't enjoy watching so many would be hoodlums getting overpaid and strutting around like they own the place.

I can see the potential for the AFL players going down a similar road and I doubt I could be bothered watching us as passionately if the club and players got ahead of themselves.

On field success wouldn't get me watching games as passionately if the team was full of fools.

Dry Rot
19-03-2010, 11:25 PM

I know how you feel, I felt kind of dirty typing his name. His face really does look like an old rat.

Dry Rot
19-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I used to enjoy watching the NBA but haven't watched it closely at all for years because the players became bigger than the game and I just don't enjoy watching so many would be hoodlums getting overpaid and strutting around like they own the place.

I can see the potential for the AFL players going down a similar road and I doubt I could be bothered watching us as passionately if the club and players got ahead of themselves.

On field success wouldn't get me watching games as passionately if the team was full of fools.

Not familiar with the NBA, but I didn't mean we'd have players "strutting around like they own the place." Just bad off-field behaviour and a club that was corrupt, but successful.

I suppose this thread was partly inspired by the sudden change of heart of Lions fans on another forum re Fevola.

turfdog
19-03-2010, 11:33 PM
DR...all that in spite of the umpires paying 400 free kicks to zip against us in every game.

GVGjr
19-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Not familiar with the NBA, but I didn't mean we'd have players "strutting around like they own the place." Just bad off-field behaviour and a club that was corrupt, but successful.

I suppose this thread was partly inspired by the sudden change of heart of Lions fans on another forum re Fevola.

It goes hand in hand from my perspective.
So to make it a bit clearer, I'd hate to see us full of the bad boys even if it gave us sustained success and I wouldn't be as passionate in my support.

Dry Rot
19-03-2010, 11:38 PM
DR...all that in spite of the umpires paying 400 free kicks to zip against us in every game.

No, our last two premierships were won against Saints, and the turning point was a free against a diving Riewoldt making contact with the head of one of our defenders on the ground.

Herald Sun headline "What does Roo need to to get a free?"

AndrewP6
19-03-2010, 11:58 PM
If my team had Carey, Fevola and Milne in it, with Kennett at the helm, I reckon I'd give the game (as a supporter) away...

LostDoggy
20-03-2010, 11:01 AM
No - I would probably be barracking for the Bombers:eek:

LostDoggy
20-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree with the whole 'killin myself if milne was in the team' thing..

What is happening with GC17 and GWS in this galaxy..are they existent?

Topdog
20-03-2010, 11:51 AM
It goes hand in hand from my perspective.
So to make it a bit clearer, I'd hate to see us full of the bad boys even if it gave us sustained success and I wouldn't be as passionate in my support.

Same here.

Twodogs
20-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Dignity is important because without it anything you achieve in life is tainted. It's pointless being the best at something if all everyone talks about is not what you do on the field but what is going on in your personal life. I'd hate to see my club's reputation besmirched by constant bad grace and appalling off field behaviour.

Mofra
20-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I probably wouldn't barrack for this team in bizzaro world. It seems a bit of an easy cop-out to barrack for the biggest, richest side.
Real supporters need that period of hardship to really appreciate success anyway. A premiership to the Western Bulldogs this year would mean much more than 5 to this bizarro club that bought theirs anyway.

w3design
21-03-2010, 12:02 AM
The only two things I can think of immediatly that would push me away from game or club, would be:
1. if the club's moral fibre became so slack that it accepted some of the sh1t from it's players that some of the other clubs have, just so long as they win.
2. If the player's union gets its way on free agency, and the AFL becomes like international soccer and rugby league, with zero player to club, and club to player loyalty, and it all comes down to nothing but money. Where team line ups become unrecognisable from one season to the next due to players flipping willy nilly from one team to another at the drop of a hat [or should that be cheque].

LostDoggy
21-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Comrade, I'm with you - geez I hate that guy :) And don't start me on Kennett........

alwaysadog
21-03-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't want to upset a lovely visit to a place where we've won 5 flags, but something troubles me and it's just that I can't recall any side having sustained success with even a quarter of the trouble you are positing.

I know we have a huge tendency to excuse the waywardness of one of our own or even two but multiplied the number of times you suggest and I think we would have a member revolt.

We aren't Carlton where everything is excused when Sticks gets upset, not that he does anything mind you, but the journos get frightened by the feigned anger. In our case we wouldn't be able to look each other in the eye and say we are proud... and our pride is what sustains us.

alwaysadog
21-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Comrade, I'm with you - geez I hate that guy :) And don't start me on Kennett........

There are several lowlifes whose names I refuse to utter and those two are on that list.

LostDoggy
22-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I reckon that this Bizzaro World would quickly implode due to the power generated from the angst and seethingness from the true Doggies fans. This power would create a worm hole that would be so enormous, it would be capable of swallowing Kennett's ego, Fevola's stupidity and Milne's sleaziness all at the same time. The Bulldogs of Bizzaro World would also have many collingwood fans as members due to the fact that it is a capital offence (death by cheering squad) to be in possession of a magpie membership. Use the sauce, Luke! :D