PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons: Should Johnson Play Round 1?

The Adelaide Connection
23-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Pros: -Leadership
-350th in front of a huge crowd (as opposed to when he set the club games record)
-He is a gun obviously. Always gives us something.
-I will be over for the game ;)

Cons: -Underdone? (Lacking match fitness and maybe need to errr on the side of caution)
-Collingwood is a massive assignment. Need cattle that are 100%. The Richmond game where we could get away with giving less game time might be a better call.
-The forward line have been playing without him (see previous point).

What do you think? There has been a bit of talk in a few different threads, but I thought it was worthy of it's own slot and I would love to see peoples reasoning. Should he be played in round 1?

AndrewP6
23-03-2010, 10:59 PM
WIthout knowing of his fitness/recovery from the injury, I'm a bit hesitant, to be honest. With his age, recovery from injury can be difficult, and it's not something he's had to do a lot of. He's had zero game time this year, which fitness-wise could be hard. Obviously the match committee have the most in-depth awareness, and they'll weigh all factors up. If, as the saying goes, he "ticks all the boxes" then yes. Otherwise, hold off until he's right. Without a "Maybe" option, I'll stick to my pessimistic nature, and say no.

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I say play him, i don't think the club will risk him this early, if he isn't 100% ready to go.

choconmientay
23-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Please line him up. With his presence the team will be even more motivated so as the fans.

The Adelaide Connection
23-03-2010, 11:18 PM
WIthout knowing of his fitness/recovery from the injury, I'm a bit hesitant, to be honest. With his age, recovery from injury can be difficult, and it's not something he's had to do a lot of. He's had zero game time this year, which fitness-wise could be hard. Obviously the match committee have the most in-depth awareness, and they'll weigh all factors up. If, as the saying goes, he "ticks all the boxes" then yes. Otherwise, hold off until he's right. Without a "Maybe" option, I'll stick to my pessimistic nature, and say no.

Well said. But as much as I would love to see his 350th I don't think he can really tick all the boxes due to the lack of match fitness. I think that because of who the opposition are this week, even if the injury has left him it is a massive risk to take him into the game. If it was Richmond round 1 it would be a different story.

chef
23-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I say yes because I'm being selfish and want to see him playing his 350th game(fingers crossed he gets through it alright), the next game I get to see live is round 12:(.

Hotdog60
23-03-2010, 11:43 PM
If he is fit and the only reason not to play him is match fitness, I would play him.

I would put him in the forward pocket and give him stints on the bench, rotate brad with Hill.

What's the difference if he gets an injury in a Willies game or against Collingwood, if it happens against Collingwood the troops should rally for him and get the win.

Better to go out in the main event than to go out in the VFL.

Age is a big consideration but I think his earned the right to have a go. If Brad thinks his ready let him do it.

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure what to think?? Match fitness is totally different from running laps but Johnno strikes me as a naturally fit guy so his base should see him through the game provided his achilies is 100% Would love to see him get a win in his 350th against those pricks too!

BulldogBelle
23-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Sure is tough.

Pro: It would be simply awesome. He will contribute as Johnno always does.

Con: It's a long season. Our depth is awesome and could put in just as solid a performance as well as carry it with them for the season.

If I was a harder man, I would say NO in favor for someone with better match fitness. (I am aware he is currently training to obtain it)

But I'm a really a softy, I believe in footy fairy tales, and I love Brad Johnson so i'll scream YES! Johnno! several times from the stands on sunday afternoon.

BulldogBelle
24-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Yes if he is fit.

But there is no need to rush him back it is a long season and need a fit Johno at the end of the season.

Maybe he should play at Willi first to get some match fitness and then play 2nd round against Richmond.

Max469
24-03-2010, 12:50 AM
If is he is not fit he should not be in the team for the game on Sunday.

As said by a couple of posters, it is a long season and I for one would prefer him fit and the end of the season.

We should never under estimate any team, especially the start of the season as everyone will be trying to start of on a winning note. This includes Collingwood in this round and Richmond the week after.

We now have a target on our backs, so everyone will be trying to know us off our perch.

If Johnno comes back in round 2 against Richmond - so be it - better to be fit, than 15 mins into the game, he realises he is not right and we are one player down.

dog town
24-03-2010, 07:08 AM
I think he will be ready to go. I remember round 1 in Eade's first season when he was supposedly no chance with an ankle injury but lined up and shocked the pies. He takes a good player and he has always been pretty well prepared.

Mantis
24-03-2010, 09:19 AM
I think he will be ready to go. I remember round 1 in Eade's first season when he was supposedly no chance with an ankle injury but lined up and shocked the pies. He takes a good player and he has always been pretty well prepared.

He normally attracts Heath Shaw when we play the Pies. I would much prefer that Shaw goes to Johnno rather than a lesser opponent who Shaw could perhaps work off.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2010, 09:29 AM

I tend to agree, but at the same time - we need him to stay on the park and get some serious game time under his belt. The last thing we want is another soft tissue injury as it could result in another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Johnno has been an incredibly resilient player in his time though, and has frequently played injured and got up for matches when perhaps it was thought he couldn't. So I say play him, as long as their are no legitimate risks.

hujsh
24-03-2010, 10:21 AM
If he is fit and the only reason not to play him is match fitness, I would play him.

I would put him in the forward pocket and give him stints on the bench, rotate brad with Hill.

What's the difference if he gets an injury in a Willies game or against Collingwood, if it happens against Collingwood the troops should rally for him and get the win.

Better to go out in the main event than to go out in the VFL.

Age is a big consideration but I think his earned the right to have a go. If Brad thinks his ready let him do it.

If it happens against Collingwood we're a man short. I'd prefer Willy to be short a player.

LostDoggy
24-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes, he is underdone with match fitness, but I'm trusting the experts at the club know more about this than me, and would NOT risk him if they thought he couldn't get through the match. I like the idea of putting him in the forward pocket and rotating him and get some run back into his legs, because his sheer presence on the field on such a big occasion is a great positive motivator for his team-mates:)

Mofra
24-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I think the club know exactly what they're doing, and by all account his fitness test was "searching" which means he isn't going in half-fit.

Yes, it's a long season but he will build fitness as he plays whether that be at Willy or on the main stage.

LostDoggy
24-03-2010, 02:01 PM
It's a long season. He will be more valuable playing in the last game of the season rather than the first. Don't risk it.

Ozza
24-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I trust the staff to make the right decision on Johnno - but I think he will play.

As far as match fitness is concerned, given his age and time in the game - the bloke has had so many pre-seasons and has such a good fitness base that I don't think the lack of practice games would be as significant a disadvantage for him.

Clubs still fear Johnno - so he'll attract a top opponent (usually Shaw) and BJ will still be dangerous no matter what.

Hotdog60
24-03-2010, 09:35 PM
If it happens against Collingwood we're a man short. I'd prefer Willy to be short a player.

True, but if it happens and sincerely hope it doesn't you give him short bursts of the bench with Hill who is suppose to have a big tank.

In the pass you never had your stars start in the reserves after an injury, and they always seem to respond. Age is the factor though and Johnno should know his body and if it's ready to go.

Dazza
24-03-2010, 10:11 PM
The big question for me is how will he work with Hall? If his opponent is Shaw you don't really want Johnno dragging him up the wings either.

The Adelaide Connection
25-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Has anyone been down to training and seen how he is going first hand?

Have read that Rocket has said he is doing well and they will continue to monitor how he pulls up etc but you can't really base anything on that.

Mantis
25-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Have read that Rocket has said he is doing well and they will continue to monitor how he pulls up etc but you can't really base anything on that.

Why not?

Rocket is pretty honest with these sort of matters and one would think that if Johnno continues to train well and pulls up ok he will line up on Sunday.

LostDoggy
25-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I was at training yesterday and Johnno did take part in all the match practice and was an integral part of the set up of the forward line along with Hahn and Hall, it seemed that Bob Murphy was playing the traffic cop role and issuing instructions as too where the guys should position themselves for set plays etc. Johnno to me looked like he was not at full pace, or unable to go at full pace, but I am not a medic, nor would I ever underestimate Brad's ability to get himself up for a game. The forward line did look good with Johnno in it working with Hahn and BBBB. Murph played up the ground around the wings a bit.

The Adelaide Connection
25-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Why not?

Rocket is pretty honest with these sort of matters and one would think that if Johnno continues to train well and pulls up ok he will line up on Sunday.

I am not suggesting Rocket is not honest but he still has to hold his cards close to his chest and even if he had made a decision either way I don't expect him to reveal it till gametime. It is in our bests interests for Rocket to withold info to keep Collingwood guessing.

All clubs do it (some worse than others eg Geelong on Abletts 6 week "one week" injury in '08). We all know that some rounds the selected teams on a Thursday are an Ogre at full forward away from being a fiction text.

LostDoggy
25-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Can he be a super sub at half time? :P

LostDoggy
26-03-2010, 01:24 PM
If we lose. We shouldn't have play him. If we win it was a master stroke.