PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 games

GVGjr
26-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Carlton way too good for the under performing Tigers side but the Bombers are playing well tonight.

Should be a good round.

LostDoggy
26-03-2010, 10:41 PM
The Cats were just too powerful. I liked the look of that Mitch Duncan. Great kick and enough pace and looks a real prospect.

Jasper
26-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Agreed about Duncan. He didn't star in the game but certainly must have whetted the appetite for the Cats fans.

Carlton good on Thursday night or were the Tigers just poor?

Remi Moses
26-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Richmond were atrocious I wouldn't read much into that game.essendon have Football Bi-polar disease,they remind me of us in about 2005.I've never seen a team concede so many goals in succession so often

chef
26-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Agreed about Duncan. He didn't star in the game but certainly must have whetted the appetite for the Cats fans.

Carlton good on Thursday night or were the Tigers just poor?

The Tigers were awful.

soupman
27-03-2010, 12:41 AM
The Tigers were pathetic. One of the worst footballing displays I've watched in a long time. They have a long way to go before they even think about thinking about playing finals. The next few years will be bottomg four finishes for them, they'll struggle to knock off Melbourne.

Hotdog60
27-03-2010, 08:14 AM
The Tigers were awful.

Spot on, to me they lack a decent spine. No key forward, Jack Riewoldt isn't bad but I wouldn't have him as FF.

The same with Mitch Morton, Troy Simmonds is starting to look like the game has passed him by and who do they have besides Kel Moore as a key defender.

The Tigers have some promising small running type players but thats about it, it's going to be a long season for the coach and the supporters, and with the 2 other teams coming in over the next couple of years is taking the wooden spoon going to give you all that much in the draft.

Carlton may have look good at times during the game and scored quickly but I like to see how they go with some more intensity on their tails.

Go_Dogs
27-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Going to be a long year for Richmond, but I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. Deledio, Cotchin, Jackson, Connors and Martin will form the nucleus of a pretty strong midfield. Riewoldt looks good, Morton can kick a couple. A few of their other kids looked lively. They'll make a lot of mistakes though, and it's very much a work in progress.

Carlton looked not bad. I question whether they can do it that easily against a better side applying more pressure, but they have a lot of guys who can bob up and do good things. Murphy played a very good game, but poor old Gibbs just couldn't get into it.

Last nights game was a pretty good contest until during the last qtr where Essendon seemed to run out of petrol tickets and Geelong ran away with the game. Lots of positives for the Bombers though, who looked quick, and certainly worked hard defensively. They just lack a bit of class going forward offensively. Their contested/clearance work was very good for the majority, which was surprising in a way because their contested ball was a question mark I had.

Hille looked good in his comeback from the ACL injury, but looks like he'll be rubbed out for a couple of games. Gotta agree on the calls about Mitch Duncan too - didn't really do a whole lot, but his team mates weren't afraid to send the ball through him, and he kicked a couple of very good balls too.

BulldogBelle
27-03-2010, 11:32 AM
The Cats were just too powerful.

Watching that game, I just knew the Cats would get into 4th gear eventually - they really are an awesome team to watch.

GVGjr
27-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Watching that game, I just knew the Cats would get into 4th gear eventually - they really are an awesome team to watch.

They are just so good at keeping their defenders where they need to be and not getting caught up the ground. We have a similar set-up.

bornadog
27-03-2010, 03:27 PM
The Tigers were awful.

Watch Melbourne for two quarters and you will see what awful is.

chef
27-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Fortunately I missed it.

The Underdog
27-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Goodes has done a few ridiculous things in the game against the Saints tonight. A kick out of the air for a freakish goal then a kick off the ground that landed in Bradshaw's arms. Both fluky but ridiculous nonetheless.
Swans have looked alright, not totally convinced by the Saints atm.

Go_Dogs
27-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Goodes has done a few ridiculous things in the game against the Saints tonight. A kick out of the air for a freakish goal then a kick off the ground that landed in Bradshaw's arms. Both fluky but ridiculous nonetheless.
Swans have looked alright, not totally convinced by the Saints atm.

Yep, shaping up to be a good game. Goodes has been very good for the Swans, as have McVeigh and O'Keefe. Saints looking alright too though - just seem able to get their goals a bit more easily, although the Swans kicking is costing them a bit.

Goddard had a nice piece of play too and looks in great nick.

Kosi might cop a bit of wrath for his head high contact.

GVGjr
27-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Yep, shaping up to be a good game. Goodes has been very good for the Swans, as have McVeigh and O'Keefe. Saints looking alright too though - just seem able to get their goals a bit more easily, although the Swans kicking is costing them a bit.

Goddard had a nice piece of play too and looks in great nick.

Kosi might cop a bit of wrath for his head high contact.

He would be mighty lucky to escape that one.

Go_Dogs
27-03-2010, 08:35 PM
He would be mighty lucky to escape that one.

You would hope so - but who knows what the tribunal might do. Certainly took his eyes off the ball and went past it to make contact with the player.

LostDoggy
27-03-2010, 08:40 PM

People still think my call for Bailey to go is premature? He hasn't proven for a SINGLE GAME over THREE YEARS that he can coach, yet he's under no pressure at all because he's sold the 'youth policy'. Rubbish. West Coast, Sydney, Essendon, North, Adelaide, Port etc. have rebuilt without having to lose games by 100+ points for three years straight. If you're a crap coach you're a crap coach. Does anyone really think Scully, Trengrove, Watts etc. are going to develop by losing games by 20 goals week in week out? People say that Bailey didn't have anything to work with but Daniher took the 'hopeless list' that Bailey inherited to five finals campaigns in ten years so the players couldn't have been that crap. Even if you have a 'youth policy' you have to have some semblance of a game plan -- when Rocket took over our very young side he immediately implemented a running game and one-on-one defense, and we could all see what he was doing, even when we were losing. Can anyone tell me what 'style' Melbourne has been playing for three years? THREE YEARS is more than halfway through a five year contract, and there hasn't been a single step forward. They won't play finals for another 5-10 years at this rate.

Bailey is Melbourne's Rohde -- they will look back on this time as as bad a coaching reign as has ever been seen in AFL/VFL history.

--

ps. I'm just pissed off because I don't want any Melbourne clubs to fold or go through the wars, but I'm afraid they'll be next on the chopping block if they keep going down this route.

LostDoggy
27-03-2010, 08:42 PM

They are.. but there ARE cracks, I think. Not invincible, certainly. :)

LostDoggy
27-03-2010, 08:43 PM
You would hope so - but who knows what the tribunal might do. Certainly took his eyes off the ball and went past it to make contact with the player.

Much worse and more impact than Murph's from a couple of years ago. Kosi seems like a nice guy but geez he's overrated.

GVGjr
27-03-2010, 08:51 PM
The Tigers were pathetic. One of the worst footballing displays I've watched in a long time. They have a long way to go before they even think about thinking about playing finals. The next few years will be bottomg four finishes for them, they'll struggle to knock off Melbourne.

How does Shane Tuck not get a game for the Tigers?
It all very well going down the youth road but they can't learn that much putting in performances like that.

Remi Moses
27-03-2010, 09:14 PM
How atrocious were Melbourne?Bailey was Re-signed,with no game plan,no passion extraordinary!Been hiding under this rebuilding cop out

comrade
27-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Nice to see that the umpire's love affair with St Kilda has continued in 2010.

AndrewP6
27-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Anyone watching tonight still say Riewoldt doesn't dive??? Jeez, that bloke goes down in my estimations again. All the talent in the world, and he hits the ground after a pathetic little bump. As one commentator said, it's "not in the spirit of the game". Even Johnno doesn't act that well. I guess when you're in bed with the umps, you know to play to what they're looking to call. Pathetic.

Sockeye Salmon
27-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Nice to see that the umpire's love affair with St Kilda has continued in 2010.

Sydney got dead-set bent over by the umpires.

LostDoggy
27-03-2010, 10:21 PM

I really don't understand the interpretation of the rules -- how come with one team every teaky touch-wood thing is called, while CLINTON JONES gets away with holding, dumping, dead-set PUNCHING his direct opponent at every contest? And I didn't know that punching someone in the back is a legitimate shepherding technique now?

Mantis
27-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I really don't understand the interpretation of the rules -- how come with one team every teaky touch-wood thing is called, while CLINTON JONES gets away with holding, dumping, dead-set PUNCHING his direct opponent at every contest? And I didn't know that punching someone in the back is a legitimate shepherding technique now?

Who was that poster questioning my view that Clint Jones was my 'newest most hated player' a few weeks back?

Deadset vermin. (Not the poster.... Jones)

comrade
27-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Brown has gone beserk in the last quarter to drag Brisbane over the line. The Eagles have been disappointing - plenty of hype leading into the season and they've capitulated against a team down to 19 men.

Dry Rot
27-03-2010, 11:58 PM

Absolutely agree. Many right in front of me. But their often crap disposal and decision making was more costly IMO.

BTW, Jetta is pretty good to watch live. didn't do anything spectacular, but very classy. The two Hawks they got were pretty good too, Bradshaw was rusty.

The Swans run out of the backline was bizarre at times, like a pack of frightened rabbits.

anfo27
28-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Who was that poster questioning my view that Clint Jones was my 'newest most hated player' a few weeks back?

Deadset vermin. (Not the poster.... Jones)

Agree can't stand that cheat, he's up there with Andrew Welsh & that ranga Ling.

Dry Rot
28-03-2010, 12:04 AM
The Tigers were awful.

I stupidly thought they were chance, so I had a punt on them and watched the game. So of course I was a Tigers supporter for the night.

Yes, I felt kind of dirty and needed a shower afterwards. But people, don't hate Tigers fans, pity them.

After being one for only 3 hours and experiencing their despair, they are in some terrible endless hopeless footy purgatory.

Remi Moses
28-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Just had a gander at Big Footy one bloke is making a complete fool of himselfSainter 35

Dry Rot
28-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Just had a gander at Big Footy one bloke is making a complete fool of himselfSainter 35

Yes, he thinks a Dogs fan's view is on the game is not neutral - I'm going after him.

But it's no fun - bit like pulling wings off a moth.

chef
28-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I stupidly thought they were chance, so I had a punt on them and watched the game. So of course I was a Tigers supporter for the night.

Yes, I felt kind of dirty and needed a shower afterwards. But people, don't hate Tigers fans, pity them.

After being one for only 3 hours and experiencing their despair, they are in some terrible endless hopeless footy purgatory.

You might need to be decontaminated(2.10pm today should be a good time for that).

I am starting to feel sorry for Richmond as well, which I don't like as I used to enjoy hating them:mad:

chef
28-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Great win to the Dockers.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Great win to the Dockers.

No kidding -- from the stats, looks like every Adelaide player had a shocker, and Barlow is making a HUGE difference to Freo's midfield, allowing Pav to play upfront more instead of having to come into the middle all the time.

Go_Dogs
29-03-2010, 09:30 AM
allowing Pav to play upfront more instead of having to come into the middle all the time.

Pavlich still played the bulk of the match up the field, where is work was outstanding. He's got great poise and can really read the clearance better than most midfielders. He's a star.

Barlow was fantastic. Lots to like about Fremantle. Really strong display today, exciting and attacking game plan, their pressure was unbelievable. As was their composure under pressure.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Pavlich still played the bulk of the match up the field, where is work was outstanding. He's got great poise and can really read the clearance better than most midfielders. He's a star.

Barlow was fantastic. Lots to like about Fremantle. Really strong display today, exciting and attacking game plan, their pressure was unbelievable. As was their composure under pressure.

They were my pick for sleeper hit of the year, and early signs are good.

Go_Dogs
29-03-2010, 10:10 AM
They were my pick for sleeper hit of the year, and early signs are good.

If they can maintain that defensive effort for the course of the season, they will certainly play finals and should challenge for a Top 4 spot. Given they still have a lot of younger players, I'm not convinced they'll get that sort of consistency, but nevertheless, should be aiming for a spot in the finals no question.