PDA

View Full Version : Riewoldt aka German Diver, the most pathetic protected species in the AFL

LostDoggy
27-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Nick Riewoldt, I don't care how good you are, how hard you work, or how many points you score for my Supercoach team (thank you), but you are an absolutely pathetic disgrace for your milking of completely non-existent free kicks, not in play (ala Lloydy or Johnno) but when absolutely nothing is happening.

However, you have accomplices in this pathetic, disgusting display of one-sided umpiring -- I don't know what you've done for the AFL umpiring association (especially McBurney) in the past, but it must have been something special, because you are the only player that gets paid free kicks that no one else in the entire league is entitled to. When it comes to you, suddenly every rule in the book becomes applied to the letter of the law, so that bumps, pushes and holds that everyone gets away with (especially your teammate, the cheating pest Clinton Jones) isn't allowed against yourself. For every free kick you get, Clinton Jones should be giving away twenty.

Congratulations, Nickhead Riewoldt, you are even more protected than the likes of Chris 'I can throw the ball instead of handballing it' Judd, Gary 'I can turn 720 degrees and still not be called for holding the ball' Ablett, and Lance 'dropping the ball isn't incorrect disposal' Franklin.

And that's saying something. You sicken me, you pathetic bottom feeding sook.

AndrewP6
27-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Nick Riewoldt, I don't care how good you are, how hard you work, or how many points you score for my Supercoach team (thank you), but you are an absolutely pathetic disgrace for your milking of free kicks.

However, you have accomplices in this pathetic, disgusting display of one-sided umpiring -- I don't know what you've done for the AFL umpiring association in the past, but it must have been something special, because you are the only player that gets paid free kicks that no one else in the entire league is entitled to. When it comes to you, suddenly every rule in the book becomes applied to the letter of the law, so that bumps, pushes and holds that everyone gets away with (especially your teammate, the cheating pest Clinton Jones) isn't allowed against yourself. For every free kick you get, Clinton Jones should be giving away twenty.

Congratulations, Nickhead Riewoldt, you are even more protected than the likes of Chris 'I can throw the ball instead of handballing it' Judd, Gary 'I can turn 720 degrees and still not be called for holding the ball' Ablett, and Lance 'dropping the ball isn't incorrect disposal' Franklin.

Post of the year so far, IMO.

LostDoggy
27-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Post of the year so far, IMO.

2nd this, great post.

Mantis
27-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Was thinking the same.

I hope we are the team that can make him cry this year.

Sockeye Salmon
27-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Indefensible.

If they are serious about reporting players for taking a dive then Riewoldt must be reported.

There were two distinct movements. Grundy gave him a bump and Riewoldt went forward an inch or two, and then in a second movement he fell to the ground. There is no way they cannot report without losing the last shred of credibility they have.

comrade
27-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Indefensible.

If they are serious about reporting players for taking a dive then Riewoldt must be reported.

There were two distinct movements. Grundy gave him a bump and Riewoldt went forward an inch or two, and then in a second movement he fell to the ground. There is no way they cannot report without losing the last shred of credibility they have.

Mate, it won't even get looked at.

AndrewP6
27-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Indefensible.

Fully agree... I just don't hold much hope that they'll book him though.

chef
27-03-2010, 10:10 PM
The umpires need to stop paying them.

LostDoggy
27-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Mate, it won't even get looked at.

They'll probably suspend Mattner for three weeks for bumping the Nickhead behind play.

Max469
27-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Kosi will go, so that is a start.

McBurney is an absolute moron and needs to be looked at in regards to his assistance to St Kilda.

Tonight's performance would have won every award going around. Disgraceful.

It is only round 1 and everyone is screaming. Going to be a long season.

choconmientay
27-03-2010, 10:45 PM
I hate him for his diving and theatrical play. I hate him for the way he conduct himself. That is why he will never be in my DT or SC!

G-Mo77
27-03-2010, 10:54 PM
The umpires need to stop paying them.

That's it right there. That dick head McBurney set the precedent last year, Riewoldt's going to do it as much as he likes now and get a free shot on goal.

Blatant dive and the umpires and AFL will still reward it.

I'd still love to choke the life out of that maggot. I haven't forgotten and will never forget that decision McBurney.

Remi Moses
27-03-2010, 11:14 PM
The worst thing is The officials [incompetent at worst] fall for it every time. I turned off before half time when Grundy gave a free away for daring to even lay a finger on The German diver. The bloke models himself on Juergen Klinsmann [another German diver]hopefully like his ancestors know all to well about finishing second;)

jazzadogs
27-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Didn't see much of the game, but did see the final quarter, and I was disgusted by Riewoldt's dive. Sure, he got bumped, but the force wouldn't have been much greater (if any) than the bump he gave to Grundy (or was it Mattner?) to incite them.

I still respect Roo for his running and footballing ability, but these situations are going to lose him a lot of fans and respect.

Sedat
27-03-2010, 11:49 PM
There's no denying that Reiwoldt's innate ability to gratuitously exaggerate contact and his subsequent ability to lure free kicks from the umpires has been spectatularly successful at critical moments in recent history. With that in mind, I cannot see him stopping the practice any time soon. However he is treading a dangerous path by continuing to make the umpires look like gullible fools. Sooner or later the penny will drop with the umpiring fraternity that they are being made to look like halfwits and will start to react negatively - it happened to Matty Lloyd later in his career and as sure as my arse points to the ground it will start happening to Roo. Umpires are only human and would not take too kindly to being consistently made to look stupid. So I would expect to see blatant infringements against Roo start to be ignored before too long, and with any luck one such blatant infringement against him will be ignored in a tight final that will prove incredibly costly to both him and his team.

Dry Rot
27-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Indefensible.

Just got back from the game and I'm still spewing, even as a neutral fan.

And that wasn't the only soft free he got, and some of his mates, while the Swans forwards were continually held on to.

The diving might be specific to Riewoldt, but **** me the Saints got a good run with the umps tonight.

Remi Moses
27-03-2010, 11:53 PM
I agree^^^^^^^^^

Bulldog Joe
28-03-2010, 07:10 AM
I see a fair bit of over reaction. The free against Mattner was absolutely justified and simply dumb play by Mattner.

Watching on TV, Riewoldt did get a soft one for a hold against Grundy, but a couple of decisions (or non decisions) also strongly favoured the Swans.

One Sydney goal in the 3rd stood out as the ball was passed (I think to Kennelly) as a hand off (would have been called in Rugby for a forward pass). The Swans were then able to break from the pack and score a goal, but the justified free should have been paid to St. Kilda about 30 out and directly in front.

Umpiring aside, Farren Ray had a very good game.

chef
28-03-2010, 07:16 AM
I see a fair bit of over reaction. The free against Mattner was absolutely justified and simply dumb play by Mattner.

Watching on TV, Riewoldt did get a soft one for a hold against Grundy, but a couple of decisions (or non decisions) also strongly favoured the Swans.

One Sydney goal in the 3rd stood out as the ball was passed (I think to Kennelly) as a hand off (would have been called in Rugby for a forward pass). The Swans were then able to break from the pack and score a goal, but the justified free should have been paid to St. Kilda about 30 out and directly in front.

Umpiring aside, Farren Ray had a very good game.

It was pretty dumb especially in a tight game and close to goal.

Go_Dogs
28-03-2010, 10:19 AM
My younger brother and I had a bit of fun last night, calling out "Free to Riewoldt" at random points of the game where he was no where near the ball. It became prophecy though. Still none of the incidents compare to what we saw in the PF last year.

On Farren Ray - I just didn't think he was that good. He got credited with 100% possession efficiency, but I'm not sure many of his floating, slow-to-reach-their-destination kicks were actually very well directed or efficient. He still looks to go backwards or sideways as the first option. He can get a lot of the ball, but I'm not convinced he'd get a game in our line up.

EasternWest
28-03-2010, 12:09 PM
My younger brother and I had a bit of fun last night, calling out "Free to Riewoldt" at random points of the game where he was no where near the ball. It became prophecy though. Still none of the incidents compare to what we saw in the PF last year.
On Farren Ray - I just didn't think he was that good. He got credited with 100% possession efficiency, but I'm not sure many of his floating, slow-to-reach-their-destination kicks were actually very well directed or efficient. He still looks to go backwards or sideways as the first option. He can get a lot of the ball, but I'm not convinced he'd get a game in our line up.

You just highlighted exactly what's wrong with him. No qualms with his effort, but what he does with it is hopeless.

aker39
29-03-2010, 08:20 AM
I'd still love to choke the life out of that maggot. I haven't forgotten and will never forget that decision McBurney.

Clearly you have forgotten that decision, because McBurney did not pay the free kick to Riewoldt in the prelim.

G-Mo77
29-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Clearly you have forgotten that decision, because McBurney did not pay the free kick to Riewoldt in the prelim.

Oh well. Still don't like the guy. :D

I got the wrong Mc***ney I guess.

chef
29-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Johnno seemed to lose his legs a lot yesterday.

Jasper
29-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Oh well. Still don't like the guy. :D

I got the wrong Mc***ney I guess.

Yeah, but they hang out together socially those boys, so clearly the disease is contagious :mad:

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Watching the replay again, he definitely fell to the ground in a delayed manner. But more interesting to me was the way Riewoldt got up and just walked back like he had the free kick, didn't look like the umpire had actually called it yet & yet he was walking back to take the kick.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Johnno seemed to lose his legs a lot yesterday.

Definitely dives, has for years & it shits me.

cambo
29-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Nick Riewoldt, I don't care how good you are, how hard you work, or how many points you score for my Supercoach team (thank you), but you are an absolutely pathetic disgrace for your milking of completely non-existent free kicks, not in play (ala Lloydy or Johnno) but when absolutely nothing is happening.

However, you have accomplices in this pathetic, disgusting display of one-sided umpiring -- I don't know what you've done for the AFL umpiring association (especially McBurney) in the past, but it must have been something special, because you are the only player that gets paid free kicks that no one else in the entire league is entitled to. When it comes to you, suddenly every rule in the book becomes applied to the letter of the law, so that bumps, pushes and holds that everyone gets away with (especially your teammate, the cheating pest Clinton Jones) isn't allowed against yourself. For every free kick you get, Clinton Jones should be giving away twenty.

great post agree 100%

chef
29-03-2010, 08:53 PM

It's very costly when his opponent can run off unopposed.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Can see it now karma in the GF when he gets one in the back but its not awarded to Saint SOOK and we win by 5 points

Sockeye Salmon
29-03-2010, 11:43 PM

It's not a dive, but he has started to go to ground.

It's an age thing, or more specifically, a pace thing. Cross goes to ground because he knows he doesn't have the leg speed to compete so he throws himself at the ball. Johnson is doing a similar thing beause he's not as quick as he used to be.

Mantis
30-03-2010, 08:36 AM

It's an age thing, or more specifically, a pace thing. Cross goes to ground because he knows he doesn't have the leg speed to compete so he throws himself at the ball. Johnson is doing a similar thing beause he's not as quick as he used to be.

But by and large once you are on the deck you are out of the contest. I would much prefer them to stay on their feet and atleast attempt to chase (if need be) rather than left laying on the ground as the opposition run off.

chef
30-03-2010, 08:41 AM

He tucks his legs up in the marking contest and if he doesn't take the mark the only option he has is to go to ground.

LostDoggy
30-03-2010, 09:48 AM
But by and large once you are on the deck you are out of the contest. I would much prefer them to stay on their feet and atleast attempt to chase (if need be) rather than left laying on the ground as the opposition run off.

Picken is very good at this -- he very rarely loses his legs in a contest (unless he absolutely means to) be it in the air or on the ground.

bornadog
30-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Luke Darcy had a go at Riewoldt last night on One Week at a Time. Said he is better than that and should be careful he is not done for deliberately trying to get a free.

soupman
30-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Picken is very good at this -- he very rarely loses his legs in a contest (unless he absolutely means to) be it in the air or on the ground.

And Tim Callan is the opposite. Almost always loses his feet which often leaves his opponent temporarily unmanned and Callan scrambling to get back on his feet and catch up.

SonofScray
03-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Great game tonight, is a star, but still resorting to bullshit dives etc.

MrMahatma
04-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Luke Darcy had a go at Riewoldt last night on One Week at a Time. Said he is better than that and should be careful he is not done for deliberately trying to get a free.
Only watched this a few days ago. The replay was blatant. 2 movements. 1 dive. Absolute staging and the AFL aren't fairdinkum about wanting to stamp it out or he'd have been sighted for it. You won't get one more obvious on replay.

angelopetraglia
04-04-2010, 08:39 AM
He may like exaggerate a little contact, but the guy is a bona fide freak. He appears to be moving so much better this year. He was super impressive in the NAB Cup final against us and his form in the first two weeks has been sensational.

He has taken it to another level.

LostDoggy
04-04-2010, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=Lantern;142924]

Lantern, couldn't agree more and I especially like your nicknames for the other 3 - my pet hate is Mr. "I can turn 720 degrees and still not be called for holding the ball" Ablett. I am always lamenting this fact, and it frustrates me no end :mad:

The Adelaide Connection
04-04-2010, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=Lantern;142924]

Lantern, couldn't agree more and I especially like your nicknames for the other 3 - my pet hate is Mr. "I can turn 720 degrees and still not be called for holding the ball" Ablett. I am always lamenting this fact, and it frustrates me no end :mad:

+1
Players like Ablett and Riewoldt are genuine superstars. To give them a better deal with umpiring decisions is farcical.

LostDoggy
05-04-2010, 08:24 PM

GREAT post cant really add anything. Hit the nail right on the head several times. Well done mate!

Dry Rot
05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
The Diver just admitted he took a dive last week. (on Ch10)

jazzadogs
05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Can't remember the exact words, but I did smile when he said that. Smiled at the thought of how much the people on here would enjoy it. Haha.

Noticed this group on facebook: "Don't you hate it when the wind blows and Nick Riewoldt gets a free kick." link (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?v=info&ref=mf&gid=104171049618962)

AndrewP6
05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Can't remember the exact words, but I did smile when he said that. Smiled at the thought of how much the people on here would enjoy it. Haha.

Noticed this group on facebook: "Don't you hate it when the wind blows and Nick Riewoldt gets a free kick." link (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?v=info&ref=mf&gid=104171049618962)

:D:D:D I'm gonna join that group... that's the best.

AndrewP6
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Damnit I missed it.

chef
05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
He admitted the one against the Swans, but said the one against North was real.

jazzadogs
05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
And I agree with that. I think most people would fall to the ground from the Lachie Hansen bump, it was excessive force and unexpected. The thing I didn't like about it was that Roo looked directly and immediately at the umpire.

Dry Rot
05-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Correct.

What did you think of the video though?

I'm sorry, but I just can't see Brown or Hall falling over like that. Or even the far lesser but aggro Browns of Hawthorn or Collingwood.

AndrewP6
05-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm sorry, but I just can't see Brown or Hall falling over like that.

Agreed.

Dry Rot
05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Agreed.

Reminds of the crazy lieutenant in "Band of Brothers" who shot the german POWs after giving them ciggies. Also alleged he shot a sergeant for being drunk etc. Hard man. He would mount a suicidal but successful attack at the village of Foy (could be wrong on village name) replacing a dud commander.

When questioned later about his mythical past, he neither confirmed nor denied anything, but rather explained that he wasn't unhappy with his reputation as he wanted his men to follow such a leader.

Likewise, most genuine tough AFL guys and leaders wouldn't do what Riewoldt does as it looks soft. You don't see tough other guys like Kirk, Hodge, Archer, Morris, Bolton (defender), Cross etc doing it either.

Maybe it's a forward thing (for some) - see Lloyd.

chef
05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Correct.

What did you think of the video though?

I'm sorry, but I just can't see Brown or Hall falling over like that. Or even the far lesser but aggro Browns of Hawthorn or Collingwood.

It doesn't paint him in a good light.

Dry Rot
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
It doesn't paint him in a good light.

Agreed, in both games.

SOFT.

mighty_west
05-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I had a little chuckle whilst watching One Week At A Time and Darce talking about the first player to get sited & found guilty of staging or taking a dive, and pretty much how embaressing it would be for that player and he'll get the message quick smart and never try it again, Saint Nick looked a little sheepish at the time.

The Adelaide Connection
07-04-2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMjhh6f_Pvg&feature=player_embedded

I think this is the one that he admitted "milking".

As far as I could tell it was an admission of guilt, so why haven't they fined him yet?

The Adelaide Connection
07-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Grrr completely ballsed that up. Take two:

VMjhh6f_Pvg&feature=player_embedded

Go_Dogs
07-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Did they show this footage? I found it quite amusing - and it appears to disagree with his comments.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6992/hansenxvid.gif

Go_Dogs
07-04-2010, 02:46 PM
This one was also pretty incriminating. Notice the use of his arms.

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/03/13/1219795/19109427-600x400.jpg

I must say, the funniest thing about it all is that St Kilda fall back on the "well, don't bump him in the back when the ball is not there" routine. I find that to be very, very hypocritical when one reviews the St Kilda v North game. Good old Jones gave Harvey his fair share of bumps and elbows miles off the ball. If Harvey did a Riewoldt and fell over, would he get the same frees?

EasternWest
07-04-2010, 03:03 PM
This one was also pretty incriminating. Notice the use of his arms.

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/03/13/1219795/19109427-600x400.jpg

I must say, the funniest thing about it all is that St Kilda fall back on the "well, don't bump him in the back when the ball is not there" routine. I find that to be very, very hypocritical when one reviews the St Kilda v North game. Good old Jones gave Harvey his fair share of bumps and elbows miles off the ball. If Harvey did a Riewoldt and fell over, would he get the same frees?

It's come full circle for Harvey. Umpires were sick of being sucked in by his diving and are now giving him nothing.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2010, 03:16 PM
It's come full circle for Harvey. Umpires were sick of being sucked in by his diving and are now giving him nothing.

Hopefully now that Nick has admitted he's a diver, they tread with a bit more caution when he "falls" over.

chef
07-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Did they show this footage? I found it quite amusing - and it appears to disagree with his comments.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6992/hansenxvid.gif

That's the one he said he didn't milk:rolleyes:(watch him stare at the umpire while he goes down), while he admitted milking the swans one.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2010, 04:21 PM
That's the one he said he didn't milk:rolleyes:(watch him stare at the umpire while he goes down), while he admitted milking the swans one.

Spot on.

Clearly turns his head to make sure the umpire has seen it. The bump didn't look very hard either.

alwaysadog
08-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Spot on.

Clearly turns his head to make sure the umpire has seen it. The bump didn't look very hard either.

Hard... my 97 yo mum would have experienced worse and kept her feet in the queue for afternoon tea at the old people's home.

I know that the AFL had special rules for the great diver but 'till I saw this footage I didn't realise that they employed an umpire whose sole task is to keep an eye on his frailness and to pay a free kick any time he gets touched.

The ump looks like he has been told to pay special attention to to any contact. Given his protected status how silly is anyone to ignore the words of advice from the immortal Digger to Tony Leonard many years ago, "Don't touch 'im!"

LostDoggy
08-04-2010, 03:35 PM

If he has actually come out and admitted it, the AFL -- by their very own laws -- have to review it and charge him for simulation/diving.

Of course, they won't do anything.

--

Nick has been stupid to own up to it in any case.

bulldogsman
08-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Maybe it's a forward thing (for some) - see Lloyd.

Brad Johnson?

EasternWest
08-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Hard... my 97 yo mum would have experienced worse and kept her feet in the queue for afternoon tea at the old people's home.

Ha ha ha the cutthroat world of codgers.

EasternWest
08-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Brad Johnson?

Johnson has been known and noted on this forum for it. I don't think anyone denies it. But he's got nothing on Roo, who is the master.

alwaysadog
08-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Johnson has been known and noted on this forum for it. I don't think anyone denies it. But he's got nothing on Roo, who is the master.

... and no one pays any attention to Brad; can anyone tell me the last time Johno got a free for staging?

For a comparison to be valid there has to be a similar process and outcome. Brad stages, no result. The Diver does it, gets a 10 out of 10 from the Olympic Diving judges, and gets a free kick straight in front of goal.

End of comparison.

alwaysadog
08-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Ha ha ha the cutthroat world of codgers.

and the determination.

LostDoggy
09-04-2010, 03:08 PM

If you read my OP, I make the distinction between the types of staging -- players like Johnno and Lloydy exaggerate contact IN PLAY ie. when they receive contact when going for a mark. I don't condone this, but there is a school of thought that says that players do this to 'show' the contact to the ump, and also as an act of self-protection against future contact in play.

Nickhead, on the other hand, regularly falls over in dead-ball situations, ie. during a stoppage, with the ball nowhere in sight, while an ump is trying to reset the field of play etc. where EVERYONE is pushing and shoving each other. Nick is the only player who falls over during this jostling, and worse, the only player who gets a free paid for it, despite the same thing happening about 2000 times a game -- show me one other free kick in the first two rounds given for a player falling over during a push and shove before a bounce etc.

Simple test of fairness - does anyone think that a free would be paid if the exact same incidents happened in reverse, ie. Nick bumps Mattner and Mattner stumbles, then falls over? Not in a million years. (Nick DID bump Mattner in the back, Mattner just didn't fall over. No one does. No one except the weak sook.)

LostDoggy
09-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Just heard on the radio that the Diver has done what looks to be a pretty bad hammy? No more diving for St. Nick! Tough, eh? :rolleyes:

Dry Rot
09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Just heard on the radio that the Diver has done what looks to be a pretty bad hammy? No more diving for St. Nick! Tough, eh? :rolleyes:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/92007/default.aspx

Fisher hurt now.

AndrewP6
09-04-2010, 09:48 PM
AFL.com saying Diver's injury is worse than they first thought. Could be as many as 6-10 weeks.

Dry Rot
09-04-2010, 10:04 PM
You have to admire the guts of the rest of the Saints.

Dogs 24/7
09-04-2010, 10:08 PM
AFL.com saying Diver's injury is worse than they first thought. Could be as many as 6-10 weeks.
Shame. He's a great player.

KT31
09-04-2010, 10:08 PM

Just mentioned could possibly be a season ender.
Similar to Loyd a couple of years back.

Dogs 24/7
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM

I might be misreading this but I'd hope nobody would take delight in any player getting a long term injury.

Rocco Jones
09-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I made Riewoldt my SC captain tonight. :(

I'm gonna be honest here. I don't want injuries to occur to anyone but now it is done, I must say I would probably prefer to have him out for as long as possible. I know it sounds awful but the Saints are clearly one of our main competitors for the flag and they rely on him more than any contender relies on any of it's stars.

If he makes a quick comeback, I will be happy for him. It's nothing personal, I just want us to win the flag way more than I want Riewoldt to be playing footy.

Max469
09-04-2010, 10:22 PM
As said, he is a great player.

It is shame if it ends his season.

Poor form from supporters who are happy he is injured.

They would be the ones screaming if it was one of our own.

Hopefully it is not a season ender.

Good luck to the saints for bringing it home.

LostDoggy
09-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I honestly don't care, does that make me a bad sport?

AndrewP6
09-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Me either, don't care either way.

Dry Rot
09-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm gonna be honest here. I don't want injuries to occur to anyone but now it is done, I must say I would probably prefer to have him out for as long as possible. I know it sounds awful but the Saints are clearly one of our main competitors for the flag and they rely on him more than any contender relies on any of it's stars.

If he makes a quick comeback, I will be happy for him. It's nothing personal, I just want us to win the flag way more than I want Riewoldt to be playing footy.

Not awful, quite rational IMO.

BTW, great victory by the Saints.

EasternWest
09-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Me either, don't care either way.

I don't think not caring makes you malicious. Not caring is fair enough. Active;y wishing someone to be hurt is wrong, but from what I've read so far nobody is punching the air. Roo annoys me with his diving, but I'm even more annopyed now I'll have to take him out of my SC team.

Jokes aside, does anyone else think his injury maybe cracked our window open a bit further?

aker39
09-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Why the need to post the result

Dogs 24/7
09-04-2010, 10:42 PM

Since you asked I think it makes you either immature or short on class.
You dont care what the outcome is with people getting injured as long as it benefits you.The majority of boxers embrace after a fight as a sign of respect despite what might have been said before the fight and they take no delight in anyone getting injured. Id be disappointed to see opposition fans squealing with delight if one of our guys copped the same injury.

AndrewP6
09-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Jokes aside, does anyone else think his injury maybe cracked our window open a bit further?

To state the bleeding obvious, it leaves a huge hole in the Aints. And, yes, I think it could enhance our chances. I'm OK with that. :)

Dry Rot
09-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Why the need to look at an AFL board while a game is being played, and decided?

Hotdog60
09-04-2010, 10:43 PM

If you planning to watch this game later, you'll have to do what I do and have a total media ban until you've watch the game. The forum is the last place to be going.:)

Dry Rot
09-04-2010, 10:44 PM
If you planning to watch this game later, you'll have to do what I do and have a total media ban until you've watch the game. The forum is the last place to be going.:)

No brainer, really.

aker39
09-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Why the need to scam an AFL board while a game is being played, and decided?

Sorry, but I can manage to do 2 things at once.

I saw the injury on TV, and came on here to see the reaction.
You know the game has not finished on TV in Melbourne.

Dry Rot
09-04-2010, 10:57 PM
You know the game has not finished on TV in Melbourne.

How so? I live in inner Sydney. How the **** do I know what your TV schedule is?

And quite a few here are non-Melbournians. Or Vics.

LostDoggy
09-04-2010, 11:02 PM
You dont care what the outcome is with people getting injured as long as it benefits you.The majority of boxers embrace after a fight as a sign of respect despite what might have been said before the fight and they take no delight in anyone getting injured. Id be disappointed to see opposition fans squealing with delight if one of our guys copped the same injury.

So now i was delighted? and happy because it benefits myself, mmm don't know where you got that from.

I don't care about a lot of things, including majority of the AFL as a whole. I care about the Footscray Football Club, it's nothing personal against Nick himself. If it was any joe blow who does a hamstring every week of the year, nobody else would care either. People only have this emotional attachment to the situation, because it's a high profile player.

LostDoggy
09-04-2010, 11:09 PM

Just because he doesn't care for Nick Reiwoldt one way or the other i dont think it makes him short on class. :confused:

FrediKanoute
09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
The only reason I care is that I finally decided to put aside my dislike for the guy and put him in my dream team........even more reason to dislike the pr*ck

G-Mo77
09-04-2010, 11:15 PM
As long as nothing bad happens to our boys I really don't care who gets injured or suspended from other clubs.

GVGjr
09-04-2010, 11:16 PM
How so? I live in inner Sydney. How the **** do I know what your TV schedule is?

In hindsight and even allowing for the forum members being scattered around the globe it's probably the wrong thread to announce the result especially when people would be logging on to ascertain the extent of the injury to Riewoldt.

The Round 3 thread would have been a better spot to announce it but I understand why you did. I think we probably need to make the Round # threads Spoiler threads and if people get more information than they bargained for then that's about all we can do for them

G-Mo77
09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Nah I'm with Dry Rot on this one. Don't come onto a football site if you don't want to get spoiled. I watch a lot of MMA, NBA and wrestling and I've learned to just not look.

Dry Rot
09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
In hindsight and even allowing for the forum members being scattered around the globe it's probably the wrong thread to announce the result especially when people would be logging on to ascertain the extent of the injury to Riewoldt.

The Round 3 thread would have been a better spot to announce it but I understand why you did. I think we probably need to make the Round # threads Spoiler threads and if people get more information than they bargained for then that's about all we can do for them

IMO it's simpler than that.

If you watch a game on delay (or have recorded it for later viewing) then you stay clear of the net, forums etc. A principle those of us living interstate know only too well.

In the case in point, IIRC the poster was watching it on delay, Riewoldt got injured and then he hit the net for more info.

And then he was surprised to find out the result!

Dry Rot
09-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Nah I'm with Dry Rot on this one. Don't come onto a football site if you don't want to get spoiled. I watch a lot of MMA, NBA and wrestling and I've learned to just not look.

Agreed.

I am attending a weekend course and will be taping Dogs v Hawks.

When I get home on Sunday night, I have the choice of leaving my mobile and iMac off and watching the game or getting on the net. If I do the latter, then I can't complain about spoilers.

Scraggers
10-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Just saw it ... It was like the German Diver was pinged by a sniper. Very serious ... Very painful ... Season ending mmm ... Probably not, but it will change his approach to his game

LostDoggy
10-04-2010, 01:07 AM
I know it's considered poor form to gloat, but frankly, I don't really care. I've never wished ill on any player before, but Nick inspires the kind of hate usually reserved for parking inspectors, despite his (previous) scores for my supercoach team.

I don't even believe in karma, but seriously, if there was a guy asking for it, Nickhead was it. Coming out this week and admitting with impunity and without any remorse whatsoever that he blatantly cheats and gets away with it, you just knew that whatever passes for footy gods these days wasn't going to let that one pass through to the keeper. It's also rare that players are ever the same again after coming back from these sorts of muscle off the bone injuries (Lloydy never was), so I daresay the best of Nick is now behind us. It really is a humbling event.

Now we'll all see if the Saints are any chop and if our predictions that they are a one-man team are true. I can't see them finishing any higher than 7th, and could very well fall out of the 8 altogether, if Nick is out for the season.

chef
10-04-2010, 06:34 AM
If it makes St.Kilda weaker for the next time we play them, well you can't be too unhappy about that.

aker39
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM

That suprises me, I thought you knew everything.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Big loss for St Kilda, if indeed the injury as severe as being reported. I have a feel it won't be quite that bad.

Sedat
10-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Sooner or later the penny will drop with the umpiring fraternity that they are being made to look like halfwits and will start to react negatively - it happened to Matty Lloyd later in his career and as sure as my arse points to the ground it will start happening to Roo. Umpires are only human and would not take too kindly to being consistently made to look stupid. So I would expect to see blatant infringements against Roo start to be ignored before too long, and with any luck one such blatant infringement against him will be ignored in a tight final that will prove incredibly costly to both him and his team.
At the risk of looking like a tosser for quoting my own post, but I noticed with interest a coiuple of instances early in the match where 50-50 infringements against Riewoldt were not called. An even better example of the above is Adam Schneider, who had 3-4 clear infringements against him completely ignored by the umpires. Cometti noted in the commentary, "I bet Schneider wishes he didn't clap the umpires last season".

From a Bulldogs perspective, I think it is terrific that a contender is adversely affected by injury but I'm disappointed that this has happened in Round 3 instead of Round 21 - it now gives St Kilda the opportunity to develop alternative structures and put them into practice in match conditions, which could prove invaluable if they do enter a final without Riewoldt.

Remi Moses
10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I think it's more serious than DR Lyon is saying. I find it funny how Stkilda supporters can defend him after he publicly admits he ''Milks'' free kicksA great win for them last night but they CANNOT WIN THE FLAG without him. Isn't it ironic that Stkilda are outraged by Milne being sledged yet the Flopper gets into Andrew Lovett about his personal issues a few years back. Milne gets sledged [some of his own medicine back] and Stkilda cries foul

FUNNY WORLD WE'RE IN!!!:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
10-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Lyon was also tempting fate this week when he came out and openly admitted that he told his players to go out and be aggressive and don't worry about targeting the head if necessary. Of course St. Kilda tragic and pathetic radio man Mark Fine supported it and said that we were 'over-policed' as a society.

Finey, Lyon and Nickhead, you may not agree with the rules, but they are there for a reason, and breaking the rules by definition is cheating, so if you want to do it, don't gloat about it. Keep on gloating and let's see what the footy gods have to say about it. Fisher is lucky he didn't break his neck.

Dry Rot
10-04-2010, 05:57 PM
That suprises me, I thought you knew everything.

Only the important things. ;)

LostDoggy
10-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I might be misreading this but I'd hope nobody would take delight in any player getting a long term injury.

No, I am not taking delight in a player being injured - it is tough, as he (apart from being a diver and protected) is a great player and was looking as lean and fit as I have ever seen him. It was merely a comment as I was listening to the game on radio and checking out this forum. Whether I believe it was karma or not is really up to you!

The Coon Dog
10-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I only ever want a player to get injured when they're about to play the Bulldogs. Same with a report.

BulldogBelle
10-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Shame. He's a great player.

Yes, he is a great player diver or no diver, I wouldn't wish any injury to any player regardless of which team they play for.

AndrewP6
11-04-2010, 12:00 AM
I think it's more serious than DR Lyon is saying. I find it funny how Stkilda supporters can defend him after he publicly admits he ''Milks'' free kicksA great win for them last night but they CANNOT WIN THE FLAG without him. Isn't it ironic that Stkilda are outraged by Milne being sledged yet the Flopper gets into Andrew Lovett about his personal issues a few years back. Milne gets sledged [some of his own medicine back] and Stkilda cries foul

FUNNY WORLD WE'RE IN!!!:rolleyes:

Ah yes, reminds me of an old story about a pot and a kettle. :)

LostDoggy
11-04-2010, 12:24 AM
First thing I though was Karma =- still wouldn't wish an injury like this on anyone, even if it does give our team an advantage. I just hope we don't go in to complacent when we play them and get smacked ala Collingwood Friday night.

Remi Moses
11-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Gotta just back the truck slightly after hearing the Great man C.Grant condone Malthouse and Licuria and saying what a poor look it was for our sport at junior levels. The great man is right,and what insightful non hysterical special comments person he is

EasternWest
11-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Gotta just back the truck slightly after hearing the Great man C.Grant condone Malthouse and Licuria and saying what a poor look it was for our sport at junior levels. The great man is right,and what insightful non hysterical special comments person he is

Hi Remi do you mean condone or condemn? I think you mean condemn as I can't imagine Grant saying it is ok?

(P.S. For once I'm not being a grammar smartarse, just peoples opinion of the Malthouse incident could go either way)

jazzadogs
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I reckon Kosi will be a good pick up in supercoach now...without Riewoldt there he will be a much improved player, he seems to play better when there's more responsibility on his shoulders.

Unlucky for Riewoldt, I really can't see the Saints slipping down to 7th though (as suggested by an earlier post). As much as Riewoldt is important to them, they are still a stronger side than most, and will win most games. Not going to be a 20-2 season this time, but they'll still be up there.