PDA

View Full Version : X-Factor No.2: Gavin Hughes

Bulldog Revolution
13-06-2007, 03:37 PM
So I watched Werribee on the box on the weekend and amongst the others one who stood out for me was Gavin Hughes. Seemed very much a ball carrying wingman - good endurance, good speed, good long kick. Last night I read the club newsletter, in which Eade talks about both playing to win, and develop AND THEN TODAY I note in todays article in the Age that Eade is talking about Lynch being in the selection frame. I am wondering if Hughes could be a chance in a few weeks to add some of the Cross, Griffen run to the team.

What do others think?

From Norwood club website (same club as Will Minson, although Gavins a year younger):

Gavin Hughes (Western Bulldogs)
Gavin was first round (number 11 overall) selection in the 2006 Rookie Draft by the Western Bulldogs. The lightning fast wingman had an impressive season with Norwood in 2006, gaining senior state seletion and is currently playing with Werribee in the AFL.

bornadog
13-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I didn't know much about him till I also watched him on Saturday. Apparently he played a great game the week before in that thrashing Werribee gave Casey. I wouldn't be surprised if Eade gives this bloke a go sooner rather than later.

Are we going to end up fielding half the South Australian State of origin side???

Bulldog Revolution
13-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I didn't know much about him till I also watched him on Saturday. Apparently he played a great game the week before in that thrashing Werribee gave Casey. I wouldn't be surprised if Eade gives this bloke a go sooner rather than later.

Are we going to end up fielding half the South Australian State of origin side???

And were you similarly impressed?

We love a good south aussie bulldog - the griff was in full flight saturday night until cut down by the knee injury

bornadog
13-06-2007, 06:37 PM
And were you similarly impressed?

We love a good south aussie bulldog - the griff was in full flight saturday night until cut down by the knee injury

Yes he moves nicely.

plenty of South Aussies in our team

Go_Dogs
13-06-2007, 06:44 PM
That's right, it's a great team for us South Aussies.

I really like Hughes and feel he could offer us something being on the list. His pre-season work, from all track watchers was very positive, but sadly he got injured right as the season was about to commence. I think he could be a good long term replacement for someone like Eagleton, a good run and carry player with good speed, motor and long kick. GVGjr questioned his defensive skills after last weeks game, and no doubt he has a few areas the club will be keen for him to improve on. Should be upgraded next year I think, and could come into the frame this season should we decide to promote another rookie.

Also, it's probably a good time to give a shout out to Norwood. Great football club, many players who have played in VFL/AFL from the Norwood ranks. Carn the Legs!

dog town
13-06-2007, 06:59 PM
The first time I looked a him his kicking seemed a bit below the rest of his game. Certainly good depth in it but turned it over a few times. Two viewings is not enough to make a call on his kicking though. Looks well worh keeping on the rookie list. Already making a huge difference having full use of our rookie list IMO.

Bulldog Revolution
13-06-2007, 11:44 PM
That's right, it's a great team for us South Aussies.

I really like Hughes and feel he could offer us something being on the list. His pre-season work, from all track watchers was very positive, but sadly he got injured right as the season was about to commence. I think he could be a good long term replacement for someone like Eagleton, a good run and carry player with good speed, motor and long kick. GVGjr questioned his defensive skills after last weeks game, and no doubt he has a few areas the club will be keen for him to improve on. Should be upgraded next year I think, and could come into the frame this season should we decide to promote another rookie.

Also, it's probably a good time to give a shout out to Norwood. Great football club, many players who have played in VFL/AFL from the Norwood ranks. Carn the Legs!

The Redlegs have clearly provide a lot of afl players and are such a great club - but I am still not so forgiving of the Rohde years - I see KMac is running around for them this year, and has grown the hair - has he played well McMahon?

Hughes certainly looked to have an AFL player running ability, he seemed able to make long runs when others were tiring

Bulldog Revolution
13-06-2007, 11:53 PM
The first time I looked a him his kicking seemed a bit below the rest of his game. Certainly good depth in it but turned it over a few times. Two viewings is not enough to make a call on his kicking though. Looks well worh keeping on the rookie list. Already making a huge difference having full use of our rookie list IMO.

It is too early, I've only seen him once, but I've already more impressed than I ever was with Brad Murphy. The rookie list has enabled us to take a lot of clayton type development players - its a shame he couldn't find a 200cm developing ruckman for the group

GVGjr
14-06-2007, 09:01 AM
He has AFL running ability and while his skills aren't necessarily great, they are good enough. If he shows a bit more on the defensive side of his game he should a candidate to be promoted. Injuries slowed him down early in the season after performing very well in some of the practice games.

Go_Dogs
14-06-2007, 10:18 AM
The Redlegs have clearly provide a lot of afl players and are such a great club - but I am still not so forgiving of the Rohde years - I see KMac is running around for them this year, and has grown the hair - has he played well McMahon?

Hughes certainly looked to have an AFL player running ability, he seemed able to make long runs when others were tiring

Haha, yes Rhode wasn't too bad whilst he was at the 'Legs coached our last premiership in 1997. Boy was that a strong team though, Roger and Brett James, Andrew Jarman, etc.

Kmac has been in awesome form, mainly playing off a half back flank type of role. Got BOG last weekend actually, and Norwood are actually doing OK this year after a few horrible years, so quite possibly he could be playing a very important role in our finals campaign.

Bulldog Revolution
14-06-2007, 12:27 PM
He has AFL running ability and while his skills aren't necessarily great, they are good enough. If he shows a bit more on the defensive side of his game he should a candidate to be promoted. Injuries slowed him down early in the season after performing very well in some of the practice games.

From the outside looking in, Clayton has never hugely looked really look for players with enormous defensive elements to their games; McMahon, Gia, Gilbee, Murphy, Cooney, Ray, Griff, Higgins all certainly had limited defensive skills when they arrived. But I guess that is somewhat balanced by the selections of Cross, Hahn, Boyd, Addison, Harris, Morris, Minson

Dry Rot
14-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Discussion of Hughes raises the greater question of list management.

We have 4 rookies - do we turn this list over each year (ie either promote or cull all on the list) so that we have fresh blood each year or retain say 2 and promote/delist 2 and get two new players each year?

Also raises the issue of opportunity for existing rookies ie with our two long term injuries, should Pask and Hughes be given the chance to play for the Dogs to test them?

bornadog
14-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Discussion of Hughes raises the greater question of list management.

We have 4 rookies - do we turn this list over each year (ie either promote or cull all on the list) so that we have fresh blood each year or retain say 2 and promote/delist 2 and get two new players each year?

Also raises the issue of opportunity for existing rookies ie with our two long term injuries, should Pask and Hughes be given the chance to play for the Dogs to test them?

I would give Pask and Hughes a go, why not, why should we be two players down for 8 weeks or more.

The list needs to be kept fresh and if players are good enough they are then drafted in. I wouldn't keep them hanging on for years unless there are exceptional circumstances.

GVGjr
14-06-2007, 03:30 PM
The ability to have players like Hughes, Harbrow and Pask on the rookie list is invaluable.
To have the opportunity of promoting players when injuries pose a problem or promote these guys at the end of the season is something that we have lacked for years.

Out of the 4 rookies MWest is the one who will miss out. Not sure if it is generally a good idea to try and keep guys like this on the rookie list for more than one season although there would be the occassional exception.

dog town
14-06-2007, 05:04 PM
It is too early, I've only seen him once, but I've already more impressed than I ever was with Brad Murphy. I was bleeding the day we drafted Brad Murphy. Hughes would be more likely to be promoted than Pask this season from what I can tell.

GVGjr
14-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I was bleeding the day we drafted Brad Murphy. Hughes would be more likely to be promoted than Pask this season from what I can tell.

Can you say what turned you off Murphy on draft day?

Ability wise he was good enough to be a decent senior footballer but in my opinion his attitude wasn't up to it and he was overly confident in his own ability. Good footballers acknowledge their limitations and try to play within them but Murphy seemed to think he could do everything.

It took a few seasons before I saw him actually look for team mates first when he was 50mtrs out rather than simply blazing away.

I think he will kick himself in a few years time once he realises that he missed an excellent opportunity.

dog town
14-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Can you say what turned you off Murphy on draft day?

Ability wise he was good enough to be a decent senior footballer but in my opinion his attitude wasn't up to it and he was overly confident in his own ability. Good footballers acknowledge their limitations and try to play within them but Murphy seemed to think he could do everything.

It took a few seasons before I saw him actually look for team mates first when he was 50mtrs out rather than simply blazing away.

I think he will kick himself in a few years time once he realises that he missed an excellent opportunity. I saw plenty of him as a junior. Just poor attitude and not a character suited to the confines of a footy club but wont go into that side of it too much. Had plenty of natural ability but I think may have been picked on one stand out game in a weak draft. Bit of a punt from Clayton because no doubt he would have done his research but probably thought the penny might drop.

Mofra
14-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I agree on the 2 games I've seen him in.
The important thing is he can find the ball & moves well in traffic, which is enough to suggest we shoudl at least rookie him next year (depending on the quality of the draft).

His disposal by foot isn't the greatest however is no worse than Crossy in 04/05.
Remember Boyd & Morris were considered slow once as well, but worked hard enough to show some toe.

Most guys can imporve their weaknesses enough to become senior players, and I feel Gavin will work hard enought o do so, being a rookie with 1 year to show what he's got. Harbrow is a definate to get drafted, Hughes a solid maybe, Pask perhaps another rookie year, and I don't think Lamby will be kept.

Bulldog Revolution
15-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Haha, yes Rhode wasn't too bad whilst he was at the 'Legs coached our last premiership in 1997. Boy was that a strong team though, Roger and Brett James, Andrew Jarman, etc.

Kmac has been in awesome form, mainly playing off a half back flank type of role. Got BOG last weekend actually, and Norwood are actually doing OK this year after a few horrible years, so quite possibly he could be playing a very important role in our finals campaign.

I'm pleased to hear KMAc is doing well, gave it his best shot and always seemed a good guy - perhaps his issue was one of SouthernCross's hobby horses - which has actually given me an idea for a new thread

Bulldog Revolution
15-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I think he will kick himself in a few years time once he realises that he missed an excellent opportunity.

He may or he may not - you are assuming he will grow up eventually

I am not fully convinced he could have made it because none of the 1%ers came naturally to him - but he certainly looked to have good raw ability to work with.

Does anyone know where Murphy is playing this year?

Sockeye Salmon
15-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Hughes would be more likely to be promoted than Pask this season from what I can tell.

I think the exact opposite. I thought Pask was another Trent Bartlett when we drafted him and I thought it would be a waste of time but he's impressed me a fair bit. He's got more tricks than I gave him credit for.

Hughes has terrible disposal. Sure, it might not be any worse than Cross' was, but if Hughes is going to be a winger, disposal and pace are the most important tools he needs. He's got plenty of pace but I don't think he's AFL level skillwise. I'd give him another year on the rookie list, certainly.

I'd elevate Harbrow and Pask, re-rookie Hughes and delist Lamby West.
Monty has gone, forget the optimism, Grant will retire as well. Skipper and Baird will be very lucky to remain (I've no idea what Baird's personal issues are, there may well be a good reason he's gone so far backwards).

That's 4 on, 2 off, probably another two to go. Faulkner, Walsh, D-Mac & Tiller would be most in the gun.

dog town
15-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I think the exact opposite. I thought Pask was another Trent Bartlett when we drafted him and I thought it would be a waste of time but he's impressed me a fair bit. He's got more tricks than I gave him credit for.

. Wasn't really a reflection on Pask as a player just that I think Eade is more likely to promote another runner unless Harris goes down. Only seen Pask 3 times now and has looked progressively better everytime but obviously you have seen him alot more of him than me scooter. I just cant quite put my finger on his pace or ability below his knees. In the wizard cup he looked awful below his knees but the last two times I have seen him he has looked a composed rebounding defender. How do you rate him in areas like pace and ball handling. Looks more of a defender than forward to me which is why I thought Hughes would be more likely to be elevated.

Hughes has terrible disposal. Sure, it might not be any worse than Cross' was, but if Hughes is going to be a winger, disposal and pace are the most important tools he needs. He's got plenty of pace but I don't think he's AFL level skillwise. I'd give him another year on the rookie list, certainly.

Cross has good disposal now people just dont change perceptions. Missed one goal but barely missed a target all year before that. Never going to be penetrating but more than passable kick now. Hughes looks like he has fairly good coordination so his kicking can improve if he works hard enough on it. Will pay close attention to him when I watch the replay of tommorows werribee game.

I'd elevate Harbrow and Pask, re-rookie Hughes and delist Lamby West.
Monty has gone, forget the optimism, Grant will retire as well. Skipper and Baird will be very lucky to remain (I've no idea what Baird's personal issues are, there may well be a good reason he's gone so far backwards).

That's 4 on, 2 off, probably another two to go. Faulkner, Walsh, D-Mac & Tiller would be most in the gun. If we miss the finals we might even go more than 2 out of those 4. Cant afford to have that much dead wood on our list. Walsh IMO needs to show a little bit before the end of the year. He is coming off an operation so some room should be given but we still cant be showing blind faith in a guy who has pretty much delivered nothing.

Bulldog Revolution
15-06-2007, 05:30 PM

He was fantastic overhead against Geelong last week in the VFL - took a couple of hangers

Maybe Brian Harris or Hargraves will move forward and Pask will step into the backline - he's been really impressive and consistently improving in my eyes - I wouldn't discount his prospects. To me he looks better than Daniel Merrett who Brisbane kept, but I guess Merrett is playing AFL footy each week, and I;m not sure how Pask would go on Johnno

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2007, 12:19 PM
After watching Saturday's game I've changed my mind about Pask again. He was terrible.

LostDoggy
18-06-2007, 01:15 PM
After watching Saturday's game I've changed my mind about Pask again. He was terrible.

:) We need to draft him first then delist immediately.

Hughes got dropped and Stack played. Did Stack play that well for 2nds last week?

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2007, 01:55 PM

He was dreadful but the whole team was - I wont make a snap judgement on one game

It was probably his worst performance at VFL level for the season

GVGjr
18-06-2007, 01:58 PM

I don't think he is a viable 18 plus senior games type of player and I doubt we will elevate him at the end of the season. Handy player to have to cover injuries but not a long term answer.

Dry Rot
18-06-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't think he is a viable 18 plus senior games type of player and I doubt we will elevate him at the end of the season. Handy player to have to cover injuries but not a long term answer.

So another dud tall drafted by us (albeit a rookie)

GVGjr
18-06-2007, 02:28 PM

That is what the rookie list is all about. Have a good look at a player and see if he is capable of filling a void. If they don't make it, it is no great loss.
He is not a dud and in some other teams he might be a better fit. He is just not mobile enough for the style of defender that Eade wants.

He could come in and do a job for a few weeks but I just couldn't see him playing an extended role for us.

mjp
18-06-2007, 04:30 PM

If you can't run, you can't play. Pask can't run.

Dry Rot
18-06-2007, 04:49 PM
If you can't run, you can't play. Pask can't run.

Dodgy groin? Too much indoor training with Ms Jones?

LostDoggy
18-06-2007, 05:38 PM
If a Werribee player is going to be at all useful at AFL level, he has to really shine at VFL level.

Proof of this is A Thompson from St Kilda (just a player these days) who had 47 posessions for Casey on the weekend

alwaysadog
18-06-2007, 10:57 PM
In any other year Hughes would have come under more attention; he was picked along with Pask as possible senior replacements in the short term, while Harbrow and O'Shea were longer term prospects. Hughes has got overshadowed a bit and has at times had to cool his heels in the Bees twos when the Dogs coaching staff wanted him in the ones.

A space worth watching IMHO.