PDA

View Full Version : The Flu

Happy Days
29-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Apparently we were/are riddled with it.

Is it a partial excuse for our performance, or a cop-out to even think so?

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 04:47 PM

I would like to think it was part to blame, you know what you feel like when you have the dreaded, would not think it would feel much different to an elite sportsman.
When I heard Morris was out, I was thinking maybe it was the flu, with Calln Ward already under the weather. If it is right that Shaggy and Harbrow had it as well, might explain a bit why the backline were so off.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 04:50 PM
We looked dead on our feet in the last which i thought at the time was odd. But in saying that maybe collingwood just ran us of our feet.

Either/or im not panicing.

They were very good and we were flat.

No need to worry. A loss this early can be a good thing to help kick some complacency up the arse.

Dry Rot
29-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Does anyone know the real story? I've seen various claims it was 1 player, 3 players or 6 players with it.

There are various viruses around which can be mistaken for the flu. But if it was influenza, then it would be swine flu which wouldn't be any fun to get. Swine flu has pretty well displaced seasonal flu ATM and seems to like warmer weather (than the height of winter).

I don't think we should be publicly making such excuses. However, if true, IMO it does explain a few things, eg the lack of a late surge from our training regime and the performance of a few players.

The other good thing is that it may give the players some immunity for later in the season when it hards, and hits other clubs.

robb
29-03-2010, 05:04 PM
This flu has been running rampant in my household. Seems to last for about three days with day 2 being the worst. You can't do anything except try and keep your temperature down and sleep.

AndrewP6
29-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know the real story? I've seen various claims it was 1 player, 3 players or 6 players with it.

There are various viruses around which can be mistaken for the flu. But if it was influenza, then it would be swine flu which wouldn't be any fun to get. Swine flu has pretty well displaced seasonal flu ATM and seems to like warmer weather (than the height of winter).

Is that a given? We were just given flu shots at work, and the doctor said not to be too concerned about the swine flu (we were vaccinated against "regular" strains.)

AndrewP6
29-03-2010, 06:26 PM
It does go some way to explaining some lacklustre efforts, but we need to be careful not to pin the blame on being unwell.

Dry Rot
29-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Is that a given? We were just given flu shots at work, and the doctor said not to be too concerned about the swine flu (we were vaccinated against "regular" strains.)

Your doctor is ignorant or a fool or both. On about par with most and the media here.

BTW, you would have a mixed vax = swine flu + 2 x seasonal flu

AndrewP6
29-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Your doctor is ignorant or a fool or both. On about par with most and the media here.

BTW, you would have a mixed vax = swine flu + 2 x seasonal flu

Not my personal doctor (work paid, so I'll take it!) but anyway...FWIW, I know 3 people who've had swine flu and they reported not feeling much different to seasonal flu. Except for a bad case of rashers.

OK, that was a lame joke, but I do know people who had it!)

Dry Rot
29-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Not my personal doctor (work paid, so I'll take it!) but anyway...FWIW, I know 3 people who've had swine flu and they reported not feeling much different to seasonal flu. Except for a bad case of rashers.

Presume that was last year. There's been at least three significant mutations detected since then, and they are spreading around the world.

Highly likely to be a different beast this time around, which fits with past pandemic influenza patterns (ie early wave is often mild, flu mutates and comes back much more lethal).

EasternWest
29-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Maybe it's just my sick sense of humour, but i got a chuckle out of that.

AndrewP6
29-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Presume that was last year. There's been at least three significant mutations detected since then, and they are spreading around the world.

Highly likely to be a different beast this time around, which fits with past pandemic influenza patterns (ie early wave is often mild, flu mutates and comes back much more lethal).

Yep, late last year was the third.

AndrewP6
29-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Maybe it's just my sick sense of humour, but i got a chuckle out of that.

:) Glad to be of assistance. To ease your conscience, the aforementioned victims are all still alive.

Dry Rot
29-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Yep, late last year was the third.

We've had one wave, northern hemisphere one or two. So we are likely have two more.

Here's some interesting graphs of the patterns from the last 4 pandemics in the northern hemisphere, if you're interested.

http://content.nejm.org/content/vol360/issue25/images/large/02f1.jpeg

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content-nw/full/360/25/2595/F1

alwaysadog
29-03-2010, 07:41 PM
There are various viruses around which can be mistaken for the flu.

If what I'm recovering from is the same thing the players had then I think you've identified the cause DR.

In a lot of ways it feels like a serious case of flu, but it's duration while intense appears much shorter and recovery quite rapid after 3-4 days.

I can't fathom how anyone could stand for two hours, let alone play football while experiencing its throes.

Is it inappropriate to suggest that we've now infected the whole wobble team?

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 08:02 PM
The flu really shoudnt be an excuse, a loss is a loss. Look to next week

Remi Moses
29-03-2010, 10:03 PM
I Agree No excuses,just don't get why the first player wasn't isolated!

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Hopefully the boys will bounce back quickly.

FWIW - swine flu is one of the biggest conspiracy's - media hype driven by drug companies to sell drugs to governments. The "flu" itself kills more people every year than swine flu ever has or will. Tip - buy shares in drug companies..

Dry Rot
29-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Hopefully the boys will bounce back quickly.

FWIW - swine flu is one of the biggest conspiracy's - media hype driven by drug companies to sell drugs to governments. The "flu" itself kills more people every year than swine flu ever has or will. Tip - buy shares in drug companies..

Let's see what you think in a year's time.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 10:18 PM
If what I'm recovering from is the same thing the players had then I think you've identified the cause DR.

In a lot of ways it feels like a serious case of flu, but it's duration while intense appears much shorter and recovery quite rapid after 3-4 days.

I can't fathom how anyone could stand for two hours, let alone play football while experiencing its throes.

Is it inappropriate to suggest that we've now infected the whole wobble team?

Not at all, would be great to see them all go down with it, and for Melbourne to kick their cocky butts:p

Mantis
29-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I Agree No excuses, just don't get why the first player wasn't isolated!

Because quite often you are highly contagious and already suffering from the virus before the symptoms have shown their ugly head.

alwaysadog
29-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Because quite often you are highly contagious and already suffering from the virus before the symptoms have shown their ugly head.

Agree Mantis and if it's at all like what I've had the only symptom you have for a few days is a sore throat... and then it hits. By this time you've spread your joy on all those close to you, geographically and emotionally.

LostDoggy
31-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Let's see what you think in a year's time.

Don't you love how when people don't understand something, or if something is so large as to be seemingly incomprehensible in its complexity, instead of making an attempt to learn about it and understand it, a large proportion of the populace will turn to the anti-intellectual line that it must all be a 'conspiracy'.

Anything of any global consequence would have a level of complexity to it that would largely escape the layperson, but instead of the individual accepting that fact or at least attempting to keep an open mind about it, our entitlement-mentality society (where kids get prizes for simply showing up, and no one is ever told they are dumb) allows individuals to pooh-pooh what they don't understand, because they have never considered the fact that perhaps they may actually be ill-equipped to understand it. No, if they don't understand it, it''s not because they are not intelligent enough to, it's because the thing they don't understand is bunk.

This is compounded by the fact that most of these same people don't even understand the true nature of conspiracies -- if they think that pandemics, climate change etc. is too complex to be true, then the collective political, technological, economic and historical will required to pull off global conspiracies on the level that is being implied, not to mention the cost and effort to keep it all confidential, would be truly mind-boggling. If the CIA can't even keep their secrets safe, do people really think 198 or so independent countries can be in secret cahoots? Or is the CIA a red herring, and part of the conspiracy? And all the infighting, leaks, fall-outs, international disagreements, wars, is that part of the conspiracy too? Dan Brown, anyone?

Fact is, people are dumb, selfish, lazy, and don't want to face up to the obvious, so would rather contort themselves around convoluted theories, or shoot off words like 'conspiracy' that have implications that they barely understand, just to make themselves feel good about doing nothing, or allow them to keep their carefully constructed prejudices.

Don't you just love people?

LostDoggy
31-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Are we talking footy anymore or a new Bruce Willis movie? :p