PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NAB Rising Star

The Coon Dog
30-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Every round, an Australian Football League rising star nomination is given to a standout young player. To be eligible for the award, a player must be under 21 on January 1 of that year, have played 10 or fewer senior games before the beginning of the season, and not have been suspended during the season.

At the end of the season, nine AFL personalities (typically administrators and All-Australian team selectors) vote for five of the twenty-two nominees, with their top selections earning five votes, their second selection earning four votes, etc. The player who receives the most votes is the winner.

Chris Yarran from Carlton is the round 1 nominee.

http://www.kick2kick.net/afl/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/yarran_chris-214x300.jpg

Like last year I'll update this each week.

1. Chris Yarran - Carlton (Swan Districts)
2. Daniel Hannebery - Sydney (Oakleigh Chargers)
3. Ryan Bastinac - North Melbourne (Dandenong Stingrays)
4. Nic Naitanui - West Coast (Swan Districts)
5. Jack Trengove - Melbourne (Sturt)
6. Todd Banfield - Brisbane (Swan Districts)
7. Tom Scully - Melbourne (Dandenong Stingrays)
8. Jake Melksham - Essendon (Calder Cannons)
9. Nathan Fyfe - Fremantle (Claremont)
10. Dustin Martin - Richmond (Bendigo Pioneers)
11. Jordan Gysberts - Melbourne (Eastern Ranges)
12. Ben Reid - Collingwood (Murray Bushrangers)
13. Tom Rockliff - Brisbane (Murray Bushrangers)
14. Ben Stratton - Hawthorn (East Perth)
15. Jack Redden - Brisbane (Glenelg)
16. Phil Davis - Adelaide (North Adelaide)
17. Jarrad Grant - Western Bulldogs (Dandenong Stingrays)
18. Michael Hurley - Essendon (Northern Knights)
19. Jeff Garlett - Carlton (Swan Districts)
20. Jackson Trengove - Port Adelaide (Calder Cannons)
21. Sam Wright - North Melbourne (Murray Bushrangers)
22. Anthony Morabito - Fremantle - Peel Thunder

Happy Days
30-03-2010, 11:19 AM
So I'm assuming Barlow is ineligible?

The Coon Dog
30-03-2010, 11:41 AM
So I'm assuming Barlow is ineligible?
Yup, age factor. I decided to put the eligibility criteria up so I wouldn't get queries on Barlow. ;)

Go_Dogs
30-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Must say I'm a little surprised by Yarran getting the nod as there were a few other pretty good, eligible players on the weekend including Ziebell (would've had my vote), Banner, Shuey and a few others.

comrade
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Bit of a joke selection. How does 11 touches and 3 cheap goals against Richmond get you the nod?

He's showing his true colours tonight.

Remi Moses
02-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Banfield at Brisbane would have to be a smokey. Good game again tonight

LostDoggy
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Banfield at Brisbane would have to be a smokey. Good game again tonight

Yeah he def. stands out with his hair like fire!

Swoop
02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
The obvious names have been bandied around but in terms of performance there weren't too many that put their hand up for the Round 1 nomination.

I would agree that Yarran was a bit of a surprise and I thought Shuey, Banner & Ziebell all put in decent performances that could have earned them the nod ahead of him.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Alex Silvagni has looked solid throughout the pre-season and in the opening round. Might be in the mix to get a nomination if he can keep playing well.

I'm surprised he slipped as far as he did. Already a nice size and we really could of done with a developing FB. Full credit to Freo's recruiting though.

The Coon Dog
03-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Alex Silvagni has looked solid throughout the pre-season and in the opening round. Might be in the mix to get a nomination if he can keep playing well.

Except he's too old; born 29/09/1987. Gotta be 21 or under on Jan 1, 2010.

Topdog
03-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Except he's too old; born 29/09/1987. Gotta be 21 or under on Jan 1, 2010.

You should put that in the opening post :p

Yarran was a joke selection. Shuey should have gotten it IMO. I didn't see the North game but someone told me Ziebell only played well in the last qtr.

Hotdog60
03-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I thought Todd Banfield for Lions did all right, did a lot of nice things.

Stats round 1

11 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks and 3 tackles.

I goal.

Chris Yarran

8 kicks, 2 handballs, 3 marks and 6 tackles.

3 goals.

But look at the opposition.

soupman
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I thought Todd Banfield for Lions did all right, did a lot of nice things.

I thought Banfield played very well. We were talking about how supercoach and dreamteam didn't really reflect his true value in that match.

For example, there was one bit of play in the last quarter we he tapped the ball along past multiple Carlton players before getting an effective handpass off. It was a fantastic piece of play but for him only worth about 3 points for an effective handball.

Topdog
03-04-2010, 05:58 PM
stolen from BF

THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT ELIGIBLE
James Posdialy
Alex Silvagni
Michael Barlow
Brodie Moles
Carl Peterson
Jarrad Kayler-Thompson
David Myers
Steele Sidebottom
Ben Howlett
Rohan Bail

The Coon Dog
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Sydney's Daniel Hannebery, son of former Bulldog Matt is the round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee. Before anyone asks, Matt only played 32 games for us.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20P-T/Hannebery_train10_246a.jpg

chef
06-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Sydney's Daniel Hannebery, son of former Bulldog Matt is the round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee. Before anyone asks, Matt only played 32 games for us.

Well done Daniel(in my supercoach team too:)).

EasternWest
07-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Well done Daniel(in my supercoach team too:)).

Not too bad on a muckup day either :D

The Coon Dog
13-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Young Kangaroo Ryan Bastinac is the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 3. Did a terrific job curtailing Daniel Kerr on the weekend.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20K-O/Bastinac_NAB2_246a.jpg

chef
14-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Another one in my supercoach team:).

Go_Dogs
14-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Another one in my supercoach team:).

Another one I wish I had :D

The Coon Dog
21-04-2010, 07:32 AM
The Eagle has landed!

Nic Naitanui is the round 4 Rising Star Nominee.

http://www.worldfootynews.com/images/articles/20090617180107578_1.jpg

Throughandthrough
21-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Was watching a bunch of primary school kids play kick to kick while waiting to enter the rooms @ Glenelg for mini-league on the weekend.

The player of choice when attempting a speccy? "NIC NAITANUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

LostDoggy
21-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Dustin Martin is my smokey.

Looks as though he'll play the whole season with Richmond unless injured. For a first year player his body is mass seems to be two or three years ahead. Time will tell whether he has the motor to last the season though.

aker39
21-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Dustin Martin is my smokey.

I'm pretty sure he's ineligble due to being reported.

jazzadogs
21-04-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure he's ineligble due to being reported.
From memory he is still eligible because he didn't exceed the 100 point barrier. Happy to be proven wrong though.

chef
21-04-2010, 04:59 PM
"Richmond midfielder Dustin Martin is free to play this week after accepting an early guilty plea on a rough conduct charge.
Martin was charged with a Level One bumping or making forceful contact from front-on offence against Josh Kennedy, Sydney Swans, during the second quarter of the match against the Sydney Swans last Saturday night.
He will carry 93.75 points towards his future record, can still be nominated for Rising Star award, but will be ineligible to win it."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/ne...7/default.aspx

The link doesn't seem it work anymore.

jazzadogs
22-04-2010, 10:18 AM
"Richmond midfielder Dustin Martin is free to play this week after accepting an early guilty plea on a rough conduct charge.
Martin was charged with a Level One bumping or making forceful contact from front-on offence against Josh Kennedy, Sydney Swans, during the second quarter of the match against the Sydney Swans last Saturday night.
He will carry 93.75 points towards his future record, can still be nominated for Rising Star award, but will be ineligible to win it."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/ne...7/default.aspx

The link doesn't seem it work anymore.
Fair enough. That's what I read, I obviously only remembered part of it...

Doc26
25-04-2010, 12:49 AM

Semantics now anyway, Roughy has landed ;)

BulldogBelle
25-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Semantics now anyway, Roughy has landed ;)

It should be updated as the ''2010 NAB Roughhead Star" award for the year immediately.

ledge
25-04-2010, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=chef;147659]"Richmond midfielder Dustin Martin is free to play this week after accepting an early guilty plea on a rough conduct charge.

A bit silly I think being nominated but cant win it, stops an opportunity for a kid to win it that has done everything right.

My opinion the Brownlow if you are guilty of an offence you should not recieve votes for the rest of the season, as you are know longer fair as it is the best and fairest award!

Save a few heartbreaking and embarrassing finishes you would think.

The Coon Dog
25-04-2010, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=chef;147659]

My opinion the Brownlow if you are guilty of an offence you should not recieve votes for the rest of the season, as you are know longer fair as it is the best and fairest award!

Save a few heartbreaking and embarrassing finishes you would think.
Far too many problems with that Ledge. Firstly it would differ for 2 players depending upon which round they were suspended in. For example someone suspended in round 1 gets no votes for the season, but a bloke suspended in round 22 polls votes for the season.

Also, it potentially effects all other votes. If for example someone suspended in round 1 gets no votes but would have received say 3 votes in one game it means someone else then scores 3 who should have only scored 2, someone who scores 2 who should have only scored 1 & someone gets a vote that shouldn't have.

ledge
25-04-2010, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=ledge;148536]
Far too many problems with that Ledge. Firstly it would differ for 2 players depending upon which round they were suspended in. For example someone suspended in round 1 gets no votes for the season, but a bloke suspended in round 22 polls votes for the season.

Also, it potentially effects all other votes. If for example someone suspended in round 1 gets no votes but would have received say 3 votes in one game it means someone else then scores 3 who should have only scored 2, someone who scores 2 who should have only scored 1 & someone gets a vote that shouldn't have.

i have a counter view to both ..number 1..thats where your votes stop, because you are no longer eligible be it the 1st round or 22nd , you cant win it but at least it cuts out 99% of the fiasco it is now.

Number 2.. The player receiving the 3 votes shouldnt be, he is ineligible he isnt the best and fairest , automatically the player receiving 2 votes is , therefore he is the best and "fairest" It goes on the best and fairest player so if the player you say doesnt deserve a vote, of course he does he was the 3rd best and fairest on that day!

Umpires in my opinion should be given a list of ineligible players at the start of their game and at the end of the day cross those players off before putting in votes.

To me they should drop the "fairest" if your going to give votes to players who have already proven they arent through suspension.

mjp
25-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Umpires are judging who is fairest and best on the DAY. What happened before that should not influence their votes. I just hate the thought of the award being won by a player who was awarded extra votes because the umpires discounted the fairest and best player on the day because of an event that occurred a couple of months back.

ledge
25-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Umpires are judging who is fairest and best on the DAY. What happened before that should not influence their votes. I just hate the thought of the award being won by a player who was awarded extra votes because the umpires discounted the fairest and best player on the day because of an event that occurred a couple of months back.

But you win it on being the fairest all year you have disqualified yourself for the award earlier in the year so giving votes to this player is silly.

I hate the fact a player is robbed of votes because he has been fair in a game but not got votes because another player who has not been fair has got them, whether its the same game or not.
If you have not been fair you should not get votes.

Remember the award is a combination of BEST and FAIREST once you are eliminated from being fair in any game because its a year award you should not be able to get votes.

Robbing a player who has been fair of getting votes.

As i said and i believe has been discussed over the years in the media, drop the fair from the award if your going to give guilty players votes.

The Coon Dog
25-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Ledge, start a thread on the Brownlow!;)

this is a NAB Rising Star thread. I got sucked in once, silly me.

mjp
25-04-2010, 10:16 PM
C'mon TCD - the best threads are ones that get completely derailed.

hujsh
25-04-2010, 11:43 PM
C'mon TCD - the best threads are ones that get completely derailed.

So why'd we delist Guy O'keefe? ;)

The Coon Dog
25-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I think Jack Trengove from Melbourne will take some beating this week.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I think Jack Trengove from Melbourne will take some beating this week.

Geez, he's going to be a special player.

Not eligible this year (I'm 99.9% certain) but Hamish Hartlett looked fantastic on the weekend too. Some high quality SA kids are about at the moment. :D

azabob
26-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Not eligible this year (I'm 99.9% certain) but Hamish Hartlett looked fantastic on the weekend too. Some high quality SA kids are about at the moment. :D

Now that would make for some interesting debating on a different thread, which state has the best young players at the moment.

ledge
26-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I have been at loggerheads on who to put in my supercoach regarding Trengrove and Scully I swapped them around on the wrong weeks, although I imagine both will get a nomination at some stage.

The Coon Dog
27-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Jack Trengove is the round 5 NAB Rising Star Nominee. Hardly surprising after his slashing display on the weekend.

http://wiki.fcmelbourne.com.au/show_image.php?id=1046

The Coon Dog
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Brisbane's Todd Banfield is the round 6 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

That's 3 of the first 6 this season who are from Swan Districts.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/clubs/lions/banfield_profile-c.jpg

The Coon Dog
08-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Going to have to be a huge effort from someone to surpass Tom Scully for the round 7 nomination.

Go_Dogs
08-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Going to have to be a huge effort from someone to surpass Tom Scully for the round 7 nomination.

Yep, was an impressive performance. His ball use by foot was much better than I had thought.

Who do others think have been the most consistent NAB Rising Star eligible players this year? Trengove, Natinui and Duncan (although not yet nominated) spring to mind as standouts thus far IMO.

GVGjr
08-05-2010, 09:14 AM

I've had a look at the replay and not only was he getting a lot of the ball he was also quite talkative to his team mates. No wonder he was a number 1 pick.

The Coon Dog
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Who do others think have been the most consistent NAB Rising Star eligible players this year? Trengove, Natinui and Duncan (although not yet nominated) spring to mind as standouts thus far IMO.

I think Todd Banfield at Brisbane has been impressive in a number of games so far this season.

Chris Yarran seems to be contributing more also.

Bulldog4life
08-05-2010, 10:05 AM

39 possessions. Shut the gate. He must have it in the bag.

azabob
08-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Imagine if Naitanui was running around with Scully and Trengrove.

Go_Dogs
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Imagine if Naitanui was running around with Scully and Trengrove.

It would be pretty exciting right now, wouldn't it?

I think in 2-3 years time though, as Trengove and Scully really start hitting their straps, they are going to love kicking it to Watts.

The Coon Dog
11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Melbourne's Tom Scully is the round 7 NAB Rising Star Nominee. Had a slashing game on Friday night & if you were a Melbourne fan you would be genuinely excited.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20K-O/TomScully_Rd110_246b.jpg

Go_Dogs
11-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Looks like a bit of a Swan Districts v Dandenong show down at the moment!

mighty_west
11-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Some damn good young talent thus far in that group.

The Coon Dog
18-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Essendon's Jake Melksham is the round 8 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/images/players2010/melk.jpg

Mantis
18-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Melksham.... Are the AFL on drugs? His awe inspiring 14 touches against the Saints must have sealed the deal.

If Melksham received a gong one would think that Jarrad Grant must be close when comparing their seasons thus far, see here (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=6&pid1=3323&tid2=8&pid2=2305&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S)

chef
18-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Is Stack still eligible?

The Coon Dog
18-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Is Stack still eligible?
No, he was already 21 years old on Jan 1 (had to be under 21).

chef
18-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks TCD.

KT31
18-05-2010, 11:47 PM

Just a question, how is he considered for the James then?

The Coon Dog
25-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Fremantle's Nathan Fyfe is the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 9.

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/04/23/1377476/article_fyfe-200x0.jpg

Topdog
25-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Can't think of many others left than Grant to notch one up.

The Coon Dog
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Dustin Martin from Richmond is the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 11.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/03/26/1225846/061991-dustin-martin.jpg

aker39
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Dustin Martin from Richmond is the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 11.

But is not eligible to win the award.

LostDoggy
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Grants got it next week, who else is there thats really a stand out for it?

Mantis
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Grants got it next week, who else is there thats really a stand out for it?

Swift, Robinson, Rockliff, Gysberts (only played 1 game, but it was very good) and perhaps one or 2 others would come into contention if they play well this week.

LostDoggy
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Swift, Robinson, Rockliff, Gysberts (only played 1 game, but it was very good) and perhaps one or 2 others would come into contention if they play well this week.

I forgot about Gysberts if he can play as well as he did last week he will be very close.

I think Grant should get it soon though because he has been very good in a few games and has been consistent since he came in.

Sedat
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Zaharakis, J Garlett as well, both of whom have been in very good recent form. I think Ziebell might still be eligible as well.

The Coon Dog
08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Melbourne's Jordan Gysberts is the 3rd Demon this season to receive a NAB Rising Star Nomination after he was the nominee for round 11.

http://www.velocitysports.com.au/images/athletes/Jordan%20Gysberts/headshot_0001.jpg

11. Jordan Grysberts - Melbourne (Eastern Ranges)

mjp
08-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Melbourne's Jordan Grysberts is the 3rd Demon this season to receive a NAB Rising Star Nomination after he was the nominee for round 11.

This kid has been amazing since coming into the side.

mighty_west
08-06-2010, 02:07 PM
This kid has been amazing since coming into the side.

It is just scary to think how much young talent they have in their side, they are going to have one unbelievable midfield group.

EasternWest
08-06-2010, 02:45 PM
It will be interesting to see where they are at in a few years time. I remember there was a bit of consternation when Bailey was given a contract extension, but I think he's a pretty good coach, and they obviously haven't squandered their high/bonus draft picks. They have the makings of a decent team IMO.

Mantis
09-06-2010, 12:02 PM
It will be interesting to see where they are at in a few years time. I remember there was a bit of consternation when Bailey was given a contract extension, but I think he's a pretty good coach, and they obviously haven't squandered their high/bonus draft picks. They have the makings of a decent team IMO.

Their defence looks ok with Frawley, Warnock, Garland and Grimes all good prospects.

Midfield looks very good.

Forwardline - much will depend on Watts. He really has to develop into a very good player as besides Jurrah they don't seem to have a lot of developing forwards in their ranks.

jazzadogs
09-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Their defence looks ok with Frawley, Warnock, Garland and Grimes all good prospects.

Forwardline - much will depend on Watts. He really has to develop into a very good player as besides Jurrah they don't seem to have a lot of developing forwards in their ranks.
Petterd had a good year before he did his shoulder, Wonaemirri (probably got two letters correct in the spelling of his name...) showed that he had talent before getting injured.

I agree that it is their 'weakest' point, but it's still pretty strong. Melbourne will be the team that Victoria relies on to stop the GC/GWS stranglehold, IMO.

The Coon Dog
15-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Collingwood's Ben Reid is the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 12.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/collingwood_article_images/080512_BenReidVFL246b.jpg

Go_Dogs
15-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Geez, I watched the game yesterday and thought Reid wasn't playing. I mustn't have been watching too closely...

choconmientay
15-06-2010, 06:33 PM

How do you guys rate our young players compare to Melbourne, Richmond, Carlton and North? Do we have a good list to compete within the next 5 years and beyond?

The Coon Dog
16-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Older players may be considered Rising Stars in mooted change to rule

Jesse Hogan - The Age - 15 June

THE AFL is willing to consider scrapping the age-restriction rule that will prevent two of the league's most influential first-year players, Michael Barlow and James Podsiadly, from winning the Rising Star award.

Fremantle midfielder Barlow's average of 27.9 possessions a match is the seventh-best in the competition, while Geelong spearhead Podsiadly is ninth in the goalkicking with 29, despite missing three of his team's 12 matches.

Both, however, are not eligible for the Rising Star due to the requirement that all nominees must have been under 21 at the start of the year.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/older-players-may-be-considered-rising-stars-in-mooted-change-to-rule-20100615-ydai.html)

chef
25-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Jack Steven should go close to getting it this week.

Mantis
26-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Jack Steven should go close to getting it this week.

I would be mighty pissed off if Steven gets nominated before Grant this week.

Grant has been very consistent over the past 8 or so weeks and on this alone he should be ahead of Steven.

chef
26-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I would be mighty pissed off if Steven gets nominated before Grant this week.

Grant has been very consistent over the past 8 or so weeks and on this alone he should be ahead of Steven.

Grant's time will come, but Jack had a pretty special third quarter(helped turn the game) last night.

Mantis
26-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Grant's time will come, but Jack had a pretty special third quarter (helped turn the game) last night.

He got on the end of a couple... Whoopy-do!!

chef
26-06-2010, 05:52 PM
He got on the end of a couple... Whoopy-do!!

He finished the job when more senior players were stumbling.

Would your attitude be different if it was a bulldog player in the same situation?

Mantis
27-06-2010, 01:43 PM
He finished the job when more senior players were stumbling.

Would your attitude be different if it was a bulldog player in the same situation?

Not at all.

Steven has had one very good qtr.

Grant has had 8 pretty reasonable games.

ledge
27-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Grant will get one I would think sometime, but will it be after a good game or because he has been consistent?

chef
27-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Not at all.

Fair enough:)

azabob
27-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Not at all.

I agree Mantis Grant should get one before Stevens, but the rising star tends to give the nomination to a "stand out" game rather than players who are consistent rather than outstanding games.

They normally start handing out nominations for consistent games around round 15-16 onwards.

The Coon Dog
29-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Brisbane's Tom Rockliff is the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 13.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/clubs/lions/rockliff_kick-c.jpg

LostDoggy
29-06-2010, 11:11 AM
So going off that list from TCD who else is left? Appart from Grant I would think Rohan from Sydney is a certainty to get a nom.

Mantis
30-06-2010, 08:31 AM
So going off that list from TCD who else is left? Appart from Grant I would think Rohan from Sydney is a certainty to get a nom.

Players in line for nomination shortly could include:

Grant, Rory Sloane, Cruize Garlett, Bradley Sheppard, Tony Armstrong, Kane Lucas & Ben Nason. Jack Redden would also be close, but not sure if he is eligible as he played 10 games last year.

Rohan might still be a fair way off as he hasn't really set the world on fire.

FlightoftheCallanWards
30-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Grant, Rory Sloane, Cruize Garlett, Bradley Sheppard, Tony Armstrong, Kane Lucas & Ben Nason. Jack Redden would also be close, but not sure if he is eligible as he played 10 games last year.

Rohan seems a better chance than Garlett but yes I agree has only really had 1 or 2 'good' performances.

Im surprised Sloane didn't pick one up this week but no problems with Rockcliffe. Nice find for the Lions.

I reckon Nason is in the same boat as Merlin. Lots of good consistent games but no stand out to earn them a nomination yet. They will both get one before the end of this year.

mjp
30-06-2010, 10:08 AM

Cough...Anthony Morabito....cough.

Played every game for a top 4 side...13 touches and nearly a goal per game. What exactly does he have to do?

Mantis
30-06-2010, 10:57 AM

Played every game for a top 4 side...13 touches and nearly a goal per game. What exactly does he have to do?

Make my list. :D

Agree, he is one that probably isn't that far away. Probably needs a 20 possession game to grab a nomination straight away if not will be rewarded for consistency at some stage. He is probably in the same boat as Grant who have been pretty consistent each week, but have no real standout games.

Sockeye Salmon
30-06-2010, 10:57 AM

Moribito 13 touches per game; Grant 14 touches per game
Moribito "nearly" a goal per game; Grant actually a goal per game
Moribito plays for Freo; Grant plays for us
Moribito looks like a Chilean soccer player; Grant looks like Merlin.

4 undeniable reasons why Grant > Moribito

Desipura
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Hawthorns Ben Stratton is this weeks rising star

The Coon Dog
06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Hawthorns Ben Stratton is this weeks rising star

Where's the pic?

mjp
06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Moribito 13 touches per game; Grant 14 touches per game
Moribito "nearly" a goal per game; Grant actually a goal per game
Moribito plays for Freo; Grant plays for us
Moribito looks like a Chilean soccer player; Grant looks like Merlin.

4 undeniable reasons why Grant > Moribito

Grant drafted in 2008, Morabito drafted in 2009 and a year younger...

All other points granted.

The Coon Dog
06-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Grant drafted in 2008, Morabito drafted in 2009 and a year younger...

All other points granted.

Wasn't Grant drafted in 2007? Strengthens mjp's argument a little.

mighty_west
06-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Wasn't Grant drafted in 2007? Strengthens mjp's argument a little.

He certainly was.

2009 - Howard
2008 - Cordy
2007 - Grant
2006 - Everitt etc etc.

mjp
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Actually, I wasn't arguing for Morabito ahead of Grant. I just wanted him on Mantis' list!

Desipura
06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Where's the pic?
you know what I look like.

The Coon Dog
06-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Lets start this weeks thread again.

The round 14 NAB Rising Star Nominee is Ben Stratton from Hawthorn.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+3+Bulldogs+v+Hawks+pmQ6ldPoeq-l.jpg

The Coon Dog
13-07-2010, 10:25 AM
The round 15 NAB Rising Star is Brisbane's Jack Redden.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/clubs/lions/redden_aflq-c.jpg

Throughandthrough
13-07-2010, 10:43 AM
yay!

Where was he recruited from TCD? ;)

Ghost Dog
13-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Where are our rising stars? :(

Mantis
13-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Geelong & St.Kilda could be asking the same.

Generally the better teams don't play as many kids which is why they are good. What is promising is that from the team we put on the ground on Sunday over a 1/3 of them had played under 50 games.

mjp
13-07-2010, 12:18 PM
What is promising is that from the team we put on the ground on
Sunday over a 1/3 of them had played under 50 games.

I thought the balance of the side was nearly right on the weekend from both a player type and 'experience' perspective'. Now that Stack is injured it will be interesting to see which way they go - experience with Aker or with a kid like Hooper.

Johnson and Hall being rested will throw this out 'a bit' but there really is only one spot up for grabs unless Ward is in danger of losing his spot to someone like Eagleton or another mid.

mighty_west
13-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I thought the balance of the side was nearly right on the weekend from both a player type and 'experience' perspective'. Now that Stack is injured it will be interesting to see which way they go - experience with Aker or with a kid like Hooper.

Johnson and Hall being rested will throw this out 'a bit' but there really is only one spot up for grabs unless Ward is in danger of losing his spot to someone like Eagleton or another mid.

As much as i would have liked to have seen Hooper make his debut against Carlton, with both Baz & Johnno out, i think Aker should play, he has had his time out, plus kicked 5 on the weekend.

Ghost Dog
13-07-2010, 12:28 PM
As much as i would have liked to have seen Hooper make his debut against Carlton, with both Baz & Johnno out, i think Aker should play, he has had his time out, plus kicked 5 on the weekend.

One against the wind from 50m out they say.
Would head to Antarctica to get a spot in the side, says he.:)
If we can get him to just eat a slice of humble pie...sure we won't regret having him back in

mighty_west
13-07-2010, 12:42 PM
One against the wind from 50m out they say.
Would head to Antarctica to get a spot in the side, says he.:)
If we can get him to just eat a slice of humble pie...sure we won't regret having him back in

Don't care what type of pie he has to eat, i just want a Premiership, and i agree when Hirdy says, we won't win it without him....:p

Mantis
13-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Agree with all that.

I guess when Hahn is up and going they will try and find a spot for him, but I think our forwardline looked a little slow against Hawthorn and I doubt that we can play both Johnson & Hahn in the same team. If Hill lifts his game there is probably a spot for as well, but that's a big if.

Ward is struggling a little bit, but I guess that's to be expected after a long lay off. As we saw in last years finals series he can/ will offer us much more than an Eagleton and as such I hope they persevere with him.

Hotdog60
13-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Agree with all that.

I guess when Hahn is up and going they will try and find a spot for him, but I think our forwardline looked a little slow against Hawthorn and I doubt that we can play both Johnson & Hahn in the same team. If Hill lifts his game there is probably a spot for as well, but that's a big if.

Ward is struggling a little bit, but I guess that's to be expected after a long lay off. As we saw in last years finals series he can/ will offer us much more than an Eagleton and as such I hope they persevere with him.

Hahn has been listed as out for 2 weeks. (AFL Site)

The Coon Dog
14-07-2010, 07:49 AM

The club is a ted peeved that Jarrad Grant hasn't been recognised yet this season.

Link (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=164157#post164157)

This was also in the article:

'As with Richmond's Dustin Martin, Grant is ineligible to win the award after accepting a reprimand for an offence that carried more than 100 base points'.

jazzadogs
14-07-2010, 03:06 PM
The club is a ted peeved that Jarrad Grant hasn't been recognised yet this season.

Link (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=164157#post164157)

This was also in the article:

'As with Richmond's Dustin Martin, Grant is ineligible to win the award after accepting a reprimand for an offence that carried more than 100 base points'.
I didn't realise, until reading that article, that Martin couldn't even get votes. I was expecting a Brownlow-like scenario, where he received the most votes but was ineligible.

The Coon Dog
20-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Adelaide's Phil Davis is the round 16 NAB Rising Star nominee.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/03/11/1225839/471959-phil-davis.jpg

Go_Dogs
20-07-2010, 09:38 PM
He's been going alright, and looks a good selection for the Crows.

Hopefully we can see Grant rewarded over the coming weeks.

The Coon Dog
20-07-2010, 10:12 PM
He's been going alright, and looks a good selection for the Crows.

Hopefully we can see Grant rewarded over the coming weeks.

Mark Stevens over at the Herald Sun has cut up rough about Grant missing out again (via Twitter).

The Coon Dog
25-07-2010, 10:27 PM
How strange was it that last weeks NAB Rising Star nominee was dropped by Adelaide this week. Another decision for Stevo to vent about.

Grant would have to be a big show this week, though he might have a bit of competition from Easton Wood.

Mantis
25-07-2010, 10:32 PM
How strange was it that last weeks NAB Rising Star nominee was dropped by Adelaide this week. Another decision for Stevo to vent about.

In fairness Davis was replaced by a fairly good player in Bock.

The Coon Dog
25-07-2010, 10:36 PM
In fairness Davis was replaced by a fairly good player in Bock.

A very good player, no doubt, but if he wasn't considered good enough by Adelaide to be in their 22 this week, what sort of criteria to the AFL use?

Bulldog Revolution
26-07-2010, 08:04 AM
A very good player, no doubt, but if he wasn't considered good enough by Adelaide to be in their 22 this week, what sort of criteria to the AFL use?

Yep, bizarre stuff with Davis going out - obviously they are not concerned about my supercoach team

Wood and Grant a chance this week - why not just have joint winners from the dpgs eh?

strebla
26-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I think Wood may just pip him but thought they were both really good yesterday and they continue to gain confidence each week

Scraggers
26-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Emma Quale (on Twitter) is saying that she has information it will be Jarred Grant tomorrow ... Even though Easton Wood played a better game

Rocco Jones
26-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I agree with Wood was better than Grant but the nominations seem to based on a combination of how a player performs that round and their overall performance during the season.

Scraggers
26-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Emma Quale (on Twitter) is saying that she has information it will be Jarred Grant tomorrow ... Even though Easton Wood played a better game

Mark Stevens is saying the same thing

GVGjr
26-07-2010, 09:04 PM
I agree with Wood was better than Grant but the nominations seem to based on a combination of how a player performs that round and their overall performance during the season.

Exactly. He has more runs on the board and it is as good as done.

Scraggers
26-07-2010, 09:19 PM

So how do they pick the round one nomination then ?? :p

Sedat
26-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Roughead has been forgotten in all the Rising Star discussions. He has 18 possessions (10 contested), took some strong grabs up forward (pity he kicked 0.3) and more than held his own in the ruck against Sandilands and Johnson. Grant will get his much deserved nomination this week, Wood might get one before the season is out but Roughead is developing at a terrific rate for such a young ruckman. The 2008 ND class was a pretty hot field for ruckmen but Roughead is looking as influential as any of them at the moment (Nic Nat included).

LostDoggy
27-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Congrats Jarrad!
Overlooked so many times, and finally a worthy nominee!
Congratulations :)

cinder
27-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Just saw that, great news! Well done young man.

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Congratulations Merlin, about time after a super season so far, and getting better all the time.

The Coon Dog
27-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Jarrad Grant is the round 17 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

http://l.yimg.com/ao/i/sp/afl/players/2009/140/261319.jpg

LostDoggy
27-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Yay! About time. :)

bornadog
27-07-2010, 09:50 AM
About time, well done Granty.

LostDoggy
27-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Congratulations - a well deserved nomination :)

chef
27-07-2010, 10:06 AM
It was only a matter on time, well done Granty:)(or Avatar, as he's known at the kennel according to Bubba:D)

Hopefully Wood and Roughead can join him before the end of the season.

Greystache
27-07-2010, 10:19 AM
About time, Easton Wood must be getting close too.

The Underdog
27-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Good stuff from the kid.
He's come a long way this year. Not sure many of us saw him contributing on this level at the outset of the season.

Twodogs
27-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I've merged the two threads about this together.

Well done to Grant. This must the most overdue nomination for the NAB rising star ever. I love the Merlin nickname that murphy's lore came up with. He does look like him too.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2888767597_8713dd3e08.jpg

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20F-J/Grant(lge).jpg

Check out the round 12 nom;

Seeing that name with 'Collingwood' alongside it irritates me no end. **** the AFL and all who sail in her for ripping us off over the F/S rule!!!!!!!!!

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2010, 11:32 AM
I love the Merlin nickname that murphy's lore came up with. He does look like him too.

I can't take credit for that one, much as I'd like to!

Sorry, I can't remember who coined it, some clever Woofer.

chef
27-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Check out the round 12 nom;

Seeing that name with 'Collingwood' alongside it irritates me no end. **** the AFL and all who sail in her for ripping us off over the F/S rule!!!!!!!!!

Another son of a Dog. Too bad his dad only managed 32 games:(.

Go_Dogs
27-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Well done to Grant for his nomination this week.

If his form holds over the remainder of the season, could he be a dark horse to take out the overall award? His season has been right up there with the better contenders IMO, so I hope the club continues to push his name out just a little.

Scorlibo
27-07-2010, 04:21 PM

If his form holds over the remainder of the season, could he be a dark horse to take out the overall award? His season has been right up there with the better contenders IMO, so I hope the club continues to push his name out just a little.

I think he might finish in 4th or something, like Wardy last season.

Topdog
27-07-2010, 04:42 PM

He is ineligible anyway so kind of pointless.

Remi Moses
27-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Not before time either! Well done Jarryd

Scorlibo
27-07-2010, 05:01 PM
He is ineligible anyway so kind of pointless.

Ahh that's right. Bugger.

Kind of silly to make players ineligible the same way as the Brownlow. They are just youngens, no real value in the award other than recognition. Dustin Martin is clearly amongst the very best of this year's nominees, yet he can't receive any votes.

Hotdog60
27-07-2010, 06:38 PM
It was only a matter on time, well done Granty:)(or Avatar, as he's known at the kennel according to Bubba:D)

Hopefully Wood and Roughead can join him before the end of the season.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/Avatar_Grantcopy.jpg

I can see the Avatar resembence.:D

craigsahibee
27-07-2010, 06:46 PM

I heard the merlin call from my seat during the last qtr when Jarrad was lining up for goal. Had to have a little chuckle.

chef
27-07-2010, 07:29 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/Avatar_Grantcopy.jpg

I can see the Avatar resembence.:D

Thats awesome:D

LostDoggy
27-07-2010, 07:37 PM

One of the players mentioned it on Before the Game, that's why everyone knows it.

The Coon Dog
03-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Essendon's Michael Hurley in the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 17.

http://l.yimg.com/ao/i/sp/afl/players/2009/50/270935.jpg

chef
03-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Essendon's Michael Hurley in the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 17.

http://l.yimg.com/ao/i/sp/afl/players/2009/50/270935.jpg

17. Michael Hurley - Essendon (Northern Knights)

You might have missed a round TCD.

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 09:41 AM
chef, you beat me to it.

The Coon Dog
03-08-2010, 11:03 AM
You might have missed a round TCD.

I tried fixing it on my iPhone, but just couldn't get it right.

The Coon Dog
08-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Going to be hard for anyone to knock off Jeff Garlett this week.

Go_Dogs
09-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Yep, he was very impressive. That is how we need Josh playing.

strebla
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Not if they are consistent with their basis for consistency he is a great player but only plays one in 4 games it will be interesting though

The Coon Dog
09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Not if they are consistent with their basis for consistency he is a great player but only plays one in 4 games it will be interesting though
If one of our youngsters kicked 6 in a game we'd all be screaming for him to be nominated.

strebla
09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
If one of our youngsters kicked 6 in a game we'd all be screaming for him to be nominated.

Absolutely we would but they seem to base everything on consistency Coon Dog that is the point I am making. Personally I think he should get the nod but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

Greystache
09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Yep, he was very impressive. That is how we need Josh playing.

It's fair to say the defence were anything but close checking, at the game I couldn't work out if Hocking was maning him or playing a rolling zone inside 50m and forgot to tell the rest of the defence. Still a good effort to snag 6, would be great for us to have an opportunist forward like that.

GVGjr
09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
My mail is that Easton Wood is right in the consideration to be nominated tomorrow.

chef
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
My mail is that Easton Wood is right in the consideration to be nominated tomorrow.

That would be great if true. He may not have gotten a heap of the ball be he still played a very good defensive game.

The Coon Dog
10-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Carlton's Jeff Garlett is the NAB Rising Star Nominee for round 19. That makes him the 4th former Swan Districts player to receive a nimination this season.

http://l.yimg.com/ao/i/sp/afl/players/2009/30/270653.jpg

The Coon Dog
17-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Port Adelaide's Jackson Trengove in the round 20 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20A-E/JacksonT_246b_cn.jpg

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Anyone want to take a stab who might win the Rising Star award? Martin got suspended otherwise he would of be a certain.

I personally think it's out of Hannebery, Scully and Reid.

The award tends to favour first year players, but I think Hannebery has been a standout.

GVGjr
17-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I think Port's Trengove is a beauty. I don't think he will never be a star player but he can play in a number of positions and should be a solid player.

GVGjr
17-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Anyone want to take a stab who might win the Rising Star award? Martin got suspended otherwise he would of be a certain.

I personally think it's out of Hannebery, Scully and Reid.

The award tends to favour first year players, but I think Hannebery has been a standout.

I'd go with Hannebery as well.

AndrewP6
17-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd go with Hannebery as well.

Me too (although the proud former teacher in me says "Vote Scully!") :)

The Coon Dog
17-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I like Hannebery too, but I've been quite impressed whenever I've seen Ryan Bastinac play. Tom Rockliff & Ben Reid have also played quite well this season.

The Coon Dog
24-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Sam Wright from North Melbourne is the round 21 NAB Rising Star Nominee.

http://www.deliversports.com.au/images/clientprofileimages/WRIGHT%20Sam.JPG

Only 1 week left for Anthony Morabito to get a nomination. Any others who should have perhaps been nominated?

The Coon Dog
30-08-2010, 10:15 AM
At last, Anthony Morabito gets a NAB Rising Star Nomination for round 22.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2009/10/25/1225790/970873-dockers-urged-to-pick-morabito.jpg

22. Anthony Morabito - Fremantle - Peel Thunder

The Coon Dog
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
So, who's going to win it? The media scribes are suggesting Hannebery over Rockliff.

I have been impressed with Ryan Bastinac this season & expect him to poll well.

Just for those who aren't aware, Jarrad Grant & Dustin Martin are both ineligible & cannot poll any votes from the judges.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Slide1.png
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Slide2.png
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Slide3.png

Twodogs
01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
http://l.yimg.com/ao/i/sp/afl/players/2009/30/270653.jpg

That's the worst tattoo and mo combination I've ever seen. In my life!

They are shitful efforts at either but together they have a WOW factor of crapulance.

He needs to get the razor out and get rid of the mo for a start.

mighty_west
01-09-2010, 11:50 AM
1. Daniel Hannebery
2. Tom Skully
3. Todd Banfield
4. Jack Trengove
5. Tom Rockliff

Scraggers
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Is it coincidence that neither Geelong or St. Kilda are represented this year ??

My pick is Haneberry to beat Reid and Bastinac

(As long as Fyfe doesn't win ... he was a mongrel of a kid when I taught him, and by the sounds of things nothing has changed)

ratsmac
01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Is it coincidence that neither Geelong or St. Kilda are represented this year ??

My pick is Haneberry to beat Reid and Bastinac

(As long as Fyfe doesn't win ... he was a mongrel of a kid when I taught him, and by the sounds of things nothing has changed)

I actually think he has a good chance to win it, so I hope it was footy that you taught him. Everyone is saying Haneberry so majority rules. Scully will go close but he chops the ball a bit to much and that will go against him. Jarrod Grant I think would of snuk into the top five with the game he played on the weekend had he been eligible

Scraggers
01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I actually think he has a good chance to win it, so I hope it was footy that you taught him. Everyone is saying Haneberry so majority rules. Scully will go close but he chops the ball a bit to much and that will go against him. Jarrod Grant I think would of snuk into the top five with the game he played on the weekend had he been eligible

Nup ... he refused to play footy at school ... he was a sensational cross country runner, and very good at soccer, but his hand-eye skills (juggling etc) were quiet poor

The Coon Dog
01-09-2010, 02:52 PM
1st: Daniel Hannebery - 45 votes
2nd: Tom Scully - 35 votes
3rd: Tom Rockliff - 24 votes
4th: Jack Trengove - 11 votes
5th: Ryan Bastinac - 6 votes

The Coon Dog
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Andrew Demetriou
5 - Daniel Hannebery
4 - Tom Scully