PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Dockers

GVGjr
16-06-2007, 10:43 AM
This is the discussion thread for tonights game.

Who's you tip to kick the first goal for us? I'll go with Cooney

Is there any easy games for us at the moment?

Go_Dogs
16-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I'll go for Eagleton over here I think.

No easy games for us at all, this next month is so important. I assume you guys are getting the game telecast in Melbourne?

bornadog
16-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Hahn first goal

BulldogBelle
16-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Johnson to kick the first major for us.

LostDoggy
16-06-2007, 06:36 PM
First goal for us to Gia.

LostDoggy
16-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I'll go for Eagleton over here I think.

No easy games for us at all, this next month is so important. I assume you guys are getting the game telecast in Melbourne?
Live on Foxtel.

GVGjr
16-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Started OK but couldn't control them once they got a run on.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2007, 09:24 PM
M.Carr out could be helpful...

GVGjr
16-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Some real good footy at the moment. We are only a kick behind

LostDoggy
16-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Start of the 3rd quarter - great smother by Williams (follow on play resulted in a goal to Harbrow) and then a good effort to touch an attempted Freo goal on the line. Excellent work by the young man!

LostDoggy
16-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Start of the 3rd quarter - great smother by Williams (follow on play resulted in a goal to Harbrow) and then a good effort to touch an attempted Freo goal on the line. Excellent work by the young man!

Williams has done some nice things again tonight but it's more the one percenters that don't count on the stats sheets. A great smother and a spoil would normally gone unnoticed.

LostDoggy
16-06-2007, 10:25 PM
We are playing well but Freo look to have a lot more firepower up forward. We badly need to get the next goal. Real shame about Murphy getting a hammy.

LostDoggy
16-06-2007, 10:39 PM
That little chip kick by McMahon that was picked off is something that could have come back and haunted us. It's a real weakness of his and it has taken a little shine of an otherwise great game.

LostDoggy
16-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Big goal to Darce. He's showing a lot of signs that his form is improving.

bornadog
16-06-2007, 11:50 PM
That little chip kick by McMahon that was picked off is something that could have come back and haunted us. It's a real weakness of his and it has taken a little shine of an otherwise great game.

I guarantee he does that at least once every game. He did it twice in the second quarter, with the second one straight to Pav and a goal on 3/4 time.

southerncross
17-06-2007, 12:16 AM
I guarantee he does that at least once every game. He did it twice in the second quarter, with the second one straight to Pav and a goal on 3/4 time.

It's bad habit that has sneaked into his game over the last couple of year and I hope this is something that he can quickly fix.

southerncross
17-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Bulldogs outlast Freo to delight Darwin (http://news.realfooty.com.au/bulldogs-outlast-freo-to-delight-darwin/20075916-itp.html)

Western Bulldogs have outlasted a tiring Fremantle to record a vital mid-season win, posting a 22.9 (141) to 16.19 (115) victory at a raucous TIO Stadium in Darwin.
Enjoying parochial support in their appointed home away from home in the Northern Territory, the Bulldogs did not disappoint, kicking a hatful of goals and fighting off a determined Freo challenge in the process.
Leading by a single point at three-quarter time, Bulldogs' skipper Brad Johnson again showed his class with five goals and a vital hand in several others - including the crucial first of the last term to the excellent Scott West.
Aided and abetted Adam Cooney, West and Matthew Boyd, Johnson marshalled the forward line brilliantly against the valiant efforts of Scott Thornton to stop him.
And despite the continued resurgence of Freo's Peter Bell with 34 possessions - and a three-goal third term from Matthew Pavlich - the Dockers failed to capitalise on their best-ever start against the Bulldogs to enter the mid-season break in the precarious position of 5-7.
In incendiary conditions, with temperature still at 26 degrees C despite the evening bouncedown, both teams put on a first quarter of hot goalkicking, a dozen majors spread throughout eleven players.
Only Chris Tarrant could find the big sticks more than once, thanks to a hanger over Brian Harris, allowing his side to edge the quarter by 13 points,
But with several chances in the second term to place more pressure on the Dogs, the Dockers held their own but could not kick away.
After losing the services of Matthew Carr, after he was knocked out while pinned in a Jordan McMahon tackle, the visitor's almost suicidal pace in the first quarter ebbed in each successive term, as did their lead.
As they did in the opening seconds of the game, the Bulldogs opened the second half with two quick goals to wrestle the lead away from the Dockers - until Pavlich opened up his body for his first.
That began a see-sawing third term that looked to have gone the Bulldogs way, until Pavlich's third for the term after the siren brought the margin to a single point.
With opposing skippers seemingly holding the key, Johnson's mark and even better pass to West early in the final term raised the stakes.
And although Dean Solomon and Des Headland both kicked goals to keep Freo hanging onto the Dogs' tails, Jason Akermanis' feel for the dramatic kicked in.
Delighting the parochial locals, who had cheered his every touch despite there not being many, the former Lion banged two through from opposite pockets to reaffirm the Dogs' top eight ambitions.

bornadog
17-06-2007, 12:26 AM
It's bad habit that has sneaked into his game over the last couple of year and I hope this is something that he can quickly fix.

Otherwise, I thought McMahon was excellent and with 22 disposals, 12 marks and some great runs, he looked very good.

southerncross
17-06-2007, 12:27 AM
I was impressed with some of the classy thing's Akermanis did tonight. He's not quite at his best but he is certainly getting better each week.

southerncross
17-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Otherwise, I thought McMahon was excellent and with 22 disposals, 12 marks and some great runs, he looked very good.

It's frustrating that he has been doing this for a couple of seasons now and he just keeps making the same mistakes. Other than those types of lapses this would have to be his best season.

Dry Rot
17-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Know bugger all about what happened tonight, but has Bob Murphy done the same hammy again?

Did Brian Harris play on Pav and how did he go?

southerncross
17-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Know bugger all about what happened tonight, but has Bob Murphy done the same hammy again?

Did Brian Harris play on Pav and how did he go?

Murphy did a different hammy and Pav had a few opponents not just Harris.
Harris had a very good last quarter.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Harris has been great all year, him and Johnno are marking everything.

Glad we managed to get over the line with a win, the first half was very worrying for mine, too many basic skills errors and turnovers.

I thought McMahon was one of our better players last night, his use of the ball isn't always perfect, but when he does use it well, with his run and carry, he's very dangerous. One of the few who worked really hard in the first half.

Murph's hammy bad? Seems like he could use a good few weeks off to get his body right, as he hasn't been able to string games together at all this year.

Williams, Addison, Harbrow, Lynch and Higgins all showed again that they'll be up to the standard, exciting stuff from all those young lads.

Cooney was brilliant, underrated game for mine. West and Johnno, where would we be w.o you, probably down with Richmond. Darcy and Hahn both looked to run into some form, Darcy pulled in a few contested marks, which was pleasing, and Akermanis stepped up when he needed too.

GVGjr
17-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Cooney was brilliant, underrated game for mine. West and Johnno, where would we be w.o you, probably down with Richmond. Darcy and Hahn both looked to run into some form, Darcy pulled in a few contested marks, which was pleasing, and Akermanis stepped up when he needed too.

Very good signs to see Darcy returning to form, Cooney continuing to impose himself on the game and Hahn doing some nice things. Akermanis really did step up when it was required.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2007, 12:28 PM
How did you rate Hargrave last night? Giansiracusa too.

GVGjr
17-06-2007, 01:10 PM
How did you rate Hargrave last night? Giansiracusa too.

I thought Hargrave was a bit unfortunate to give up a couple of free kicks but otherwise performed well. Giansiracusa wasn't as good as previous weeks but was OK.

southerncross
17-06-2007, 02:24 PM
The Eagleton jumper punch on Tarrant could pose a problem for us. Whats everyones thoughts? Is he in strife?

Dry Rot
17-06-2007, 02:37 PM
How did Hahn and Darcy play last night? What roles/positions did they play?

southerncross
17-06-2007, 02:44 PM
How did Hahn and Darcy play last night? What roles/positions did they play?

Darcy started on the bench and then went forward and kicked a goal. He took some marks and went OK when he was in the ruck. Good comeback.

Hahn played across half forward and is getting back into good form. Kicked a long goal and then followed up with another.

Dry Rot
17-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks - how was their mobility?

dog town
17-06-2007, 09:47 PM
I think Darcy has had his game under valued a touch. Was our second best forward in the first half and then had a big say in turning around the clearances for us in the second half. Had a genuine impact and it was more than just a solid return to form IMO.

Cooney was good again and his work ethic is up. Needs to get more junk type disposals. At the moment he gets either contested possesions, clearances or front and squares. To take another step he needs to push harder into space and get more handball recieves and uncontested possessions. Benefited from us playing a tall up forward as he was able to work hard to get front and square for some crumbing opportunities.

Harbrow was very impressive again.

Lynch made some errors but the package is there. Just needs to adjust to the tempo and become a little more composed.

LostDoggy
17-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I think Darcy has had his game under valued a touch. Was our second best forward in the first half and then had a big say in turning around the clearances for us in the second half. Had a genuine impact and it was more than just a solid return to form IMO.

I totally agree, I had him 3rd best bordering on 2nd best for us.
From the stats he had 10 kicks 6 handballs. 4 mark 2 contested. 2 goal 1 behind.
Only 5 taps.
I think the good part to his game was the 6 first disposals and 5 clearances where he grabbed it out of the ruck. It was a bit of the Darcy of old.

BTW Street got 18 taps 2 kicks 6 Handballs. 2 marks 0 contested 1 first disposal 0 clearances.
Sandilands got 23 t, 3 k, 10 HBs, 4 M, 1 cont, 2 1st dis, 3 clear 1 goal
Warnock got 7 t, 6 k, 2 HBs, 5 M, 0 cont, 2 1t dis, 1 clear 1 goal

Sandilands was looking very dangerous early on.

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2007, 02:14 PM
The Eagleton jumper punch on Tarrant could pose a problem for us. Whats everyones thoughts? Is he in strife?

Unfortunately I think he is, and the tribunal will take a dim view of it, even though Tarrant needs a few blows to the head IMO

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2007, 03:52 PM
I totally agree, I had him 3rd best bordering on 2nd best for us.
From the stats he had 10 kicks 6 handballs. 4 mark 2 contested. 2 goal 1 behind.
Only 5 taps.
I think the good part to his game was the 6 first disposals and 5 clearances where he grabbed it out of the ruck. It was a bit of the Darcy of old.

Darcy was excellent and really controlled proceedings in that last quarter - by far his best game this season and showed good signs up forward

Go_Dogs
18-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Yep, Darcy got votes from me.