PDA

View Full Version : Rate a player: Harry Taylor

Dry Rot
05-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Thought he showed steady improvement last year and poise in the finals.

And IMO he was pretty damned good today.

Thoughts?

Best up and coming CHB or just made to look good by a stellar team around him?

comrade
05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
A consistent performer who does a solid job every week; not unlike a taller Morris. I like the fact that he always takes the front position in marking contests.

Another mature age recruit.

Sockeye Salmon
05-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Should own a Norm Smith medal

AndrewP6
05-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Haven't watched him closely all that often, to be honest. But in the '09 GF, he had a ripper of a game.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Thought he showed steady improvement last year and poise in the finals.

And IMO he was pretty damned good today.

Thoughts?

Best up and coming CHF or just made to look good by a stellar team around him?

I thought he played CHB.

Dry Rot
05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I thought he played CHB.

Correct. Thanks. Typing accuracy isn't my forte. Corrected.

Any thoughts on the actual thread?

Bulldog4life
06-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Correct. Thanks. Typing accuracy isn't my forte. Corrected.

Any thoughts on the actual thread?

Yes I like Taylor as a player and he is further proof that there are a number of mature aged players out there just waiting to be given a chance. I still have my doubts about Geelong's backline overall but they keep getting the job done and that's all you can do.

boydogs
06-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Yes I like Taylor as a player and he is further proof that there are a number of mature aged players out there just waiting to be given a chance. I still have my doubts about Geelong's backline overall but they keep getting the job done and that's all you can do.

How so?

I think Taylor is a gun, the equal of any other defender going around

Bulldog4life
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
How so?

I think Taylor is a gun, the equal of any other defender going around

Just a personal opinion but Geelong tend to have a number of their mids always helping out in defence. This is great for their team but if the opposing team can get the ball down into their forward line quickly I don't know whether the Cats will be as good this year.
I think our backline individually is better than Geelongs.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Very good player and deserving of his wraps. Played a blinder on Riewoldt in last year's Grand Final. He's the perfect second string defender and rarely gets beaten in contests. He can, at times, be a little slow to make decisions with the ball in hand.

However, he's a fantastic player and one of the best versatile KPD's around.

boydogs
06-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Just a personal opinion but Geelong tend to have a number of their mids always helping out in defence. This is great for their team but if the opposing team can get the ball down into their forward line quickly I don't know whether the Cats will be as good this year.
I think our backline individually is better than Geelongs.

Harley used to do a lot of 3rd man up stuff for them, and the theory was they would be exposed individually with him gone. However, I think they can hold their own man to man and they still have Mackie for that -

Scarlett = Lake
Taylor = Morris
Enright = Gilbee
Mackie = Hargrave
Hunt < Harbrow
Milburn > Williams

chef
06-04-2010, 07:31 AM

This. Fantastic game on riewoldt last year.

What stopped him from being drafted earlier?

Go_Dogs
06-04-2010, 08:59 AM
A consistent performer who does a solid job every week; not unlike a taller Morris. I like the fact that he always takes the front position in marking contests.

Another mature age recruit.

I very much liken him to Morris (I actually think they look a little similar too).

I think Morris is probably the better out and out stopper, and Taylor offers a little more offensively. Both are very handy players, and the sort of guys you love to have in defence. Always give everything, and hate being beaten.

Mofra
06-04-2010, 11:30 AM
He is probably the form CHB of the competition at the moment - his game yesterday was immense. His rebound has improved yet he is still winning one on one contests.

azabob
06-04-2010, 05:35 PM
This. Fantastic game on riewoldt last year.

What stopped him from being drafted earlier?

Not sure how reliable the source is as its Dermott B, he said he played mostly on the wing in the early days when in Perth and not so well.

soupman
07-04-2010, 09:24 AM

This. That was a fantastic grand final and arguably won his side the game for his efforts.

LostDoggy
07-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Agree with everyone on the Norm Smith, should have it.