PDA

View Full Version : Dogs want trio out of Gold Coast's reach

Sedat
06-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Article is stating the bleeding obvious, but good to see a rational, measured response on the GC17 poaching issue from Rocket. I think maintaining a good relationship with Scott Clayton and GC17 will ensure that our club is treated with a good deal more fairness than other more resistant clubs:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/91689/default.aspx

chef
06-04-2010, 06:24 PM
God I hope you can hold all three.

Jasper
06-04-2010, 07:03 PM
God I hope you can hold all three.

Yep, will be absolutely shattered if we lost one of them. Especially if it were for a bigger pay check.

LostDoggy
06-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I think the most likely of them to leave would be Harbrow..but i hope he doesnt :(

Mantis
06-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Yep, will be absolutely shattered if we lost one of them. Especially if it were for a bigger pay check.

Of course they will get a bigger pay cheque if they leave.... One of GC's main attractions (perhaps the biggest one) is the outrageous $$'s they can offer.

Go_Dogs
06-04-2010, 07:47 PM
One of GC's main attractions (perhaps the biggest one) is the outrageous $$'s they can offer.

One of the only.

LostDoggy
06-04-2010, 08:00 PM
I am very confident that all three will sign again.

LostDoggy
06-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Griff's already stated he wants to be a one club player, I don't think they have enough Burger rings at the Gold Coast for Coons, and what would Harbrow do without Lakey, Morris & Hargreaves?
I believe they'll all stay. Fingers Crossed

becmatty
06-04-2010, 10:50 PM
With Griff, Coons and Harbrow all out of contract in September, Gold Coast is poised to swoop.

Harbrow seems the most likely to leave as he has Queensland roots, but rest assured Scotty Clayton and Dom Ambrogio, despite their loyalty to the Doggies, will do what they have to to secure these players.

It is a huge concern and the fact is we cannot match the salary that the GC will offer.

Chris Grant rejected a huge offer to go to Port Adelaide in the 90's and many other Bulldogs have chosen to do the same. Only time will tell on this one, but I don't like how this is shaping...

The Coon Dog
06-04-2010, 11:33 PM
There is a thread on this in the Dog's Day forum.

Dogs want trio out of Gold Coast reach (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7207)

The Coon Dog
06-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Griff's already stated he wants to be a one club player, I don't think they have enough Burger rings at the Gold Coast for Coons, and what would Harbrow do without Lakey, Morris & Hargreaves?

How many games has he played for the club? 160 odd & it still annoys me that other team's supporters & commentators still call him Hargreaves. You would think our own would at least get it right.

Lift your game there LMS! ;)

vho
07-04-2010, 07:10 AM
90% sure Harbrow will go.

GVGjr
07-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I am very confident that all three will sign again.

90% sure Harbrow will go.

Are these gut feel comments or do they have some insider knowledge?

EasternWest
07-04-2010, 09:57 AM
How many games has he played for the club? 160 odd & it still annoys me that other team's supporters & commentators still call him Hargreaves. You would think our own would at least get it right.

Lift your game there LMS! ;)

Agree entirely. And if we can wipe out Griffin's too, I'll be happy.

Mofra
07-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Harbrow seems the most likely to leave as he has Queensland roots, but rest assured Scotty Clayton and Dom Ambrogio, despite their loyalty to the Doggies, will do what they have to to secure these players.
Loyalty to the dogs?
No, they left for a better offer, are employed by GC17 and that is where their loyalty does (and should) lie.

Greystache
07-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Loyalty to the dogs?
No, they left for a better offer, are employed by GC17 and that is where their loyalty does (and should) lie.

It sounds a bit strange, but Scotty Clayton still feels a lot of loyalty to the Dogs. To quote him directly he said "I spent 10 years putting that list together, and I'm really proud of it, why would I want to tear it apart?"

He'll still perform his job for Gold Coast and will target players he thinks will be interested, but honestly I don't think he'll go after Bulldog players as agressively as other clubs.

Mofra
07-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I Think he'd be derelict in his duty if he didn't chase uncontracted Bulldogs players. What people say & what they do can be two seperate things.

vho
08-04-2010, 01:03 AM

At this stage (spoke to a friend of his), GC has spoken to him and has already offered him a rough estimation of what they are willing to pay and he seems very keen. If the Dogs can match or go close he may stay. If he plays well this year, it will only jack up his price and the GC are very keen. In the end i think this will be his final year at the Kennel.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2010, 04:41 PM
At this stage (spoke to a friend of his), GC has spoken to him and has already offered him a rough estimation of what they are willing to pay and he seems very keen. If the Dogs can match or go close he may stay. If he plays well this year, it will only jack up his price and the GC are very keen. In the end i think this will be his final year at the Kennel.

If true, I am not overly surprised.

His form right from the beginning of pre-season has been far different to what we saw in 2009. He's looked right off his game, although he did play better against Richmond.

LostDoggy
08-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Griff's already stated he wants to be a one club player, I don't think they have enough Burger rings at the Gold Coast for Coons, and what would Harbrow do without Lakey, Morris & Hargreave?

Love your thought process Shnookie - very persuasive arguments for all to stay at the doggies!

LostDoggy
08-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Just a gut feel, the lure to leave and go has already been there for some. Players don't move around that much anymore, and i honestly can't see them moving now. Yes they're young & will be there when GC starting making finals & possibly push for a flag, but that won't be for a while yet.

It would be very disappointing if they left, especially Harbrow.

In saying that though, if money is more important, then i would rather they moved on.

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Just a gut feel, the lure to leave and go has already been there for some. Players don't move around that much anymore, and i honestly can't see them moving now. Yes they're young & will be there when GC starting making finals & possibly push for a flag, but that won't be for a while yet.

It would be very disappointing if they left, especially Harbrow.

In saying that though, if money is more important, then i would rather they moved on.

It's not very often they get the chance to double their salary any more either.

Make no mistake, players will go, and most of those who do will be leaving the better teams who have nowhere to move in their salary caps.

FrediKanoute
09-04-2010, 08:37 PM

Make no mistake, players will go, and most of those who do will be leaving the better teams who have nowhere to move in their salary caps.

and the counter arguement is that many players will not leave for the cash because playing footy is about success, both team and individual success. Its a hard ask for guys from successful clubs to leave for a club which is effectively starting from scratch. If final's footy is what is all about then you aren't going to find that at a start up club for 4 or 5 seasons minimum.

Maybe guys around 28 to 30 yo who want to cash in on the Golden Goose and make sure that they have a nest egg for their retirement, but I think a lot (not all) will put the chance of playing in GF, even if they have already played in a couple, ahead of extra $$.

Sedat
13-04-2010, 05:42 PM

That's what should happen in theory if market forces take effect. But the poor (in performance terms) clubs are also vulnerable to losing their star players due to the lack of team success on the horizon. I wonder if someone like a Brett Deledio isn't seriously contemplating the chance to move to a club that will in all likelihood have a better chance of making the finals in the next 5 years than his current club (and be paid more to boot).

If there is a chance for team success, players will be prepared to sacrifice some coin, but there is a limit to this sacrifice that GC17 will smash to bits. That is why I think there are 15 other clubs that are praying that $1.9 million of GC17's annual salary cap is taken up by G Ablett for the next 5 seasons, which will go a small way to diffusing the inflationary impact of their raid on the rest of the competition.

westbulldog
14-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Over 300 games for our club..........Johnson, Hawkins, Grant, West, Whitten and Smith - they could all have been offered blank cheques to leave at the height of their distinguished careers - none did - loyalty above the $, all class, all great players, all highly respected. Western Bulldog / Footscray supporters don't jump ship either. If players want to leave for the Gold Coast pots of gold ......... you were never going to be a part of our tradition anyway......