PDA

View Full Version : Cousin's relapse claims - what is Ricky doing?

Topdog
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't really care about Cousins and if he has gone back to old bad habits but what the heck is Ricky Olarenshaw doing?? As a player manager he should be one of the last people to come out and make claims like this.

I wonder what the players he represents think about him speaking out? Hopefully they get rid of him as he is a moron.

EasternWest
07-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Ricky Olarenshaw has history when it comes to making bold statements. IMO he reacts and speaks rather than considers and speaks.

G-Mo77
07-04-2010, 01:01 PM
He's not the brightest tool in the shed and I should emphasize the word tool.

chef
07-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Maybe he's trying to help him by bringing it out in the open.

AndrewP6
07-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what did Ricky O say?

chef
07-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what did Ricky O say?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tigers-lash-ben-cousins-relapse-claim/story-e6frf9if-1225850673545

AndrewP6
07-04-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tigers-lash-ben-cousins-relapse-claim/story-e6frf9if-1225850673545

Thanks, hadn't read the paper today. :)

Very dangerous territory he's in here... making these sorts of claims, and then when pressed to comment, backing away saying "It was only what I heard" - if it wasn't fact, he shouldn't be saying it. Why bother making statements of what he's supposedly heard, only to say they may not be true. Poor form, Ricky O.

Swoop
07-04-2010, 09:02 PM
As a player manager he really should know better than making comments that have no fact behind them and that he isn't prepared to stand behind

Having said that, my opinion of him hasn't changed, he's always been a tool.

Remi Moses
07-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Getting a bit like the elephant in the room all these rumours about cousins. Even caroline Wilson penned that ben had been warned about too much drink

alwaysadog
08-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Getting a bit like the elephant in the room all these rumours about cousins. Even caroline Wilson penned that ben had been warned about too much drink

An alternative view is that all is not well with Ben and these mysterious hospital visits might have a sinister cause.

I argued last time with Ben that he had been let down by a whole lot of people who must have known he had a problem but did nothing and put winning above all else.

And we all know Caro would rather have all her teeth pulled without anaesthetic than say one word of ill about the Tigres.

It will be interesting to watch developments and hopefully no reason to feel alarm.

Topdog
08-04-2010, 07:03 AM
As a player manager he really should know better than making comments that have no fact behind them and that he isn't prepared to stand behind.

Yeah thats the part that surprised me most. If he was just a commentator than its pretty much fair game but he is a manager. I imagine Ricky Nixon (still cousins manager i believe) wouldn't be too happy with him either.

The Coon Dog
08-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Players agents should butt out of media

Mike Sheahan - Herald Sun - 8 April

THE blatant conflict for AFL player agents who moonlight in the media first became evident when Ricky Nixon worked weekends for Triple M as an around-the-grounds man.

Given he managed the cream of the player group back then, one or two of whom had a propensity to create headlines, and given Triple M had a rich best-player award, Ray Charles could have spotted his conflict of interest.

Nixon lived with the cynicism for a while before walking away and saving himself the trouble.

We have learned to live with agent conflict in recent years, but Ricky Olarenshaw's extraordinary boot-in-mouth performance on radio on Tuesday has put the issue back on the agenda.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/players-agents-should-butt-out-of-media/story-e6frf9ox-1225851125101)

Remi Moses
08-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Players agents should butt out of media

Mike Sheahan - Herald Sun - 8 April

THE blatant conflict for AFL player agents who moonlight in the media first became evident when Ricky Nixon worked weekends for Triple M as an around-the-grounds man.

Given he managed the cream of the player group back then, one or two of whom had a propensity to create headlines, and given Triple M had a rich best-player award, Ray Charles could have spotted his conflict of interest.

Nixon lived with the cynicism for a while before walking away and saving himself the trouble.

We have learned to live with agent conflict in recent years, but Ricky Olarenshaw's extraordinary boot-in-mouth performance on radio on Tuesday has put the issue back on the agenda.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/players-agents-should-butt-out-of-media/story-e6frf9ox-1225851125101)

good article from Mike Personally I cannot stand Leon Pickering and his lack of ''opinion' on one of his ''Boys''. AWFUL AWFUL special comments man

EasternWest
08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
good article from Mike Personally I cannot stand Leon Pickering and his lack of ''opinion' on one of his ''Boys''. AWFUL AWFUL special comments man

Yeah that Leon Pickering drives me bonkers. His brother Liam is even worse.:D

Sorry, I'm being facetious. But everything you said, barring his first name, is correct. IMO, these quasi-celebrities need to be either manager or media figure. To be both is an untenable compromise as the hard questions will be asked at some stage, and it's fair for reasonable answers to be expected.

LostDoggy
08-04-2010, 09:13 PM
It seems to me that once a player is "tarred" with a certain brush, it's pretty hard to shake the tag? Unfortunately, there will always be d**kheads like Ricky to start rumours like this, and then try and back away when asked to follow up with facts. It's really just more of the same bulls**t that the media give us all the time. They (the media) are really responsible for lots of ill-informed public me thinks:rolleyes:

alwaysadog
08-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Are we certain there's just smoke and no fire?

Topdog
09-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Are we certain there's just smoke and no fire?

Of course not but the smoke shouldn't be started by a player manager.

Swoop
09-04-2010, 01:40 PM
I recall when Ricky Olarenshaw was boundary riding for channel 7, the bulldogs had just won and he interviewed Adam Cooney after the game. At the time I couldn't help but think that he clearly wasn't the best or most influential player on the field and it was obvious for anyone who knew that he was simply interviewing his 'own' player for alterior motives. A perfect example of a player manager / media personality being compromised.

Jasper
09-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Sorry, I'm being facetious. But everything you said, barring his first name, is correct.

If you listen to SEN, Liam is regularly referred to as Leon.
It is a running joke.

Like Finey being referred to as "Viney", which he now ignores.

Olarenshaw manages one Richmond player, Daniel Jackson. How good is his relationship likely to be with Ben right now?
And if taking your shirt off means you're using party drugs, then Mark McVeigh is Keith Richards

EasternWest
09-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Sorry, I'm being facetious. But everything you said, barring his first name, is correct.

If you listen to SEN, Liam is regularly referred to as Leon.
It is a running joke.

Like Finey being referred to as "Viney", which he now ignores.

Olarenshaw manages one Richmond player, Daniel Jackson. How good is his relationship likely to be with Ben right now?
And if taking your shirt off means you're using party drugs, then Mark McVeigh is Keith Richards

Hmmm I have noticed that and didn't consider it. I may have double smartarsed myself:D!

AndrewP6
09-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Hmmm I have noticed that and didn't consider it. I may have double smartarsed myself:D!

Awesome term. Sounds a bit "Roy and HG"-ish... "Oh look HG, he's just double-smartarsed himself"!!!! :D

KT31
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Awesome term. Sounds a bit "Roy and HG"-ish... "Oh look HG, he's just double-smartarsed himself"!!!! :D

I'm sure this is a gymnastic move.:D

KT31
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Quite possible Ricky was trying to prevent this.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1038441

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Cousins among four suspended by Tigers

FOUR Richmond players, including star Ben Cousins, have been suspended for inappropriate behaviour after a club investigation into a late-night incident in a Sydney hotel on Saturday night.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/92154/default.aspx

Geez, they are going great aren't they. 4 more experienced players missing this weeks (now un-winnable?) game vs Melbourne. They are becoming the Carlton of 2010 :rolleyes:

Sedat
12-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Round 4 is pretty early for a team to start tanking.

Jokes aside, smart move by Hardwick and the Tigers. Wield a big stick and weed out the cancers. Will take time but needs to be done.

Sockeye Salmon
12-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I understand Conners did the full monty version of Alfie Langer's tabletop dance.

Desipura
13-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Greart leadership shown by Cousins to punch a drunken teammate.

Mofra
13-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Greart leadership shown by Cousins to punch a drunken teammate.
Poor decision but by all accounts Conners had to be quietened down somehow.
If he's been suspended for 8 weeks the club mustn't be happy with him either.

Desipura
13-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Poor decision but by all accounts Conners had to be quietened down somehow.
If he's been suspended for 8 weeks the club mustn't be happy with him either.
Quietened somehow? I know, how about getting him in a headlock and dragging him to his room? Or better still ringing the coach to speak to Connors?

Topdog
13-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Cousins punched Conners? I heard it was the other way around.

Funny either way really.

LostDoggy
13-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Richmond are really a mess at the moment. Good luck to Hardwick. He will need quite a few seasons to fix up this lot.

Cyberdoggie
13-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Cousins punched Conners? I heard it was the other way around.

Funny either way really.

On the radio they said Cousins got hit over the head while trying to subdue his teammate.

Cyberdoggie
13-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Richmond are really a mess at the moment. Good luck to Hardwick. He will need quite a few seasons to fix up this lot.

10 year contract? :p

LostDoggy
13-04-2010, 01:39 PM
10 year contract? :p

We may have just witnessed the birth of the five-decade plan.

I've seen entire national economic development programs that are less convoluted than Richmond's supposed regeneration.

Topdog
13-04-2010, 02:33 PM
On the radio they said Cousins got hit over the head while trying to subdue his teammate.

yeah thats what I thought too.