Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-04-2010, 08:49 PM
2010 AFL Season – Round 4 Match Preview
Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs
GABBA, Brisbane
Saturday 17 April 2010, 7:10pm

Last 3 times they have met

Round 1 2010 NAB Cup, Manuka Oval ACT.

W BULLDOGS 0.0.4 0.1.8 0.4.14 1.5.14 (53)
BRISBANE LIONS 1.1.3 1.3.6 1.3.6 1.5.6 (45)

The opening game of the NAB Cup was reduced to an old fashioned slog due to the torrential rain that had hit Canberra in the days leading up to the match.

In a game where endeavour and effort would have a bigger factor than genuine skill, the Lions looked the better of the two teams for the first two quarters. The Dogs regained the ascendency in the third quarter kicking 3.6, and in the end a 9 pointer from a Griffen 50 metre penalty proved to be the difference in a tight finish.

Semi Final 2009, MCG.

W BULLDOGS 4.2 6.6 11.8 16.11 (107)
BRISBANE LIONS 0.6 3.7 5.7 8.8 (56)

After a disappointing loss to the Cats the week before, the Dogs bounced back with an emphatic performance over the Lions to propel them into a second consecutive Preliminary Final. The Dogs midfield gained the ascendency early on and the back half were able to repel Brisbane attack. Gilbee, Hargrave,Cooney, Higgins, Giansiracusa and Eagleton were prominent, and Hahn was on target in front of goal with 4 straight for the game.

Round 20, GABBA, Brisbane 2009

BRISBANE LIONS 2.3 4.8 8.8 12.12 (84)
W BULLDOGS 5.2 10.5 13.10 15.12 (102)

The Dogs looked to be easing to a comfortable win at 3Qtr time, before the Lions reduced the gap to 2 kicks late in the game. A moment of Aker brilliance against his old team proved to be the final nail in the coffin sealing an 18 point win. Eagleton, Cooney, Boyd, Lake and Harbrow were very good on the night for the Dogs.

Preamble

The Lions have started the season with three solid wins against West Coast, Carlton and Port, to sit 3-0 going into this game. The form of Jonathon Brown has been outstanding and he looms large as the game-breaker this week. Whilst not as prolific as JB the addition of Fevola has also been a success so far.

Michael Voss has already stated that the Lions see this week as a chance to prove their credentials and gain some credibility for their premiership aspirations, against a Bulldogs outfit that is being touted as a legitimate flag threat.

The Dogs have a good record in recent years at the GABBA, and Voss will be keen to restore the distinct advantage the Lions enjoyed at fortress GABBATOIR.

On the flipside, the Dogs sit with a 2-1 win/loss ratio, but have yet to produce a 4 quarter performance and will be desperate to continue their recent dominance over Brisbane and reaffirm their position amongst the league heavyweights.

Eade will be aware we will be entering this clash on the back of a brutal game against the Hawks and also with a short 6 day break. I expect he will be putting the acid on the team to start producing the kind of performance expected of a top team.

Adding to the intrigue is the fact that both teams will be wrestling with key selection issues leading up to the game due to injuries and suspensions.

Selection table - Bulldogs

A bruising encounter with the Hawks on Sunday has left the Dogs with a few selection headaches, namely with Picken and Akermanis definite non starters, and a slight question mark over Hargrave.

Players who come into contention for Picken's spot would be Addison or Wood.
A concern with either proposed ins are that they are not in great form, but with injuries to Ward and Reid there are not a lot of obvious alternatives. Perhaps highlighting a depth problem going forward?

Eagleton seems to be the logical inclusion for Akermanis. Supporting the Eagle's claim are his good recent performances against the Lions, and the need for a runner who can gut run back and forth along the expanses of the GABBA's flanks.

The other dilemma facing the Dogs selection committee is whether skipper Brad Johnson is injury/virus free. His lack of match fitness will also be a crucial factor in determining whether or not they decide to risk him for the journey to Brisbane.

Further complicating matters with Johnson, is team balance. I think we went into Round 1 with one too few midfielders, and I therefore think that Moles is required, even more so with Picken and Aker being out. Therefore the only real choice to make way for Johnno is Hill.

Personally, I think we need Hill this week, and I think the game too vital to risk what must be a severely underdone Johnno.

Adding to the drama, is Eade's publically stated frustration with Will Minson's performances, particularly his goal kicking and his conceding two 50 metre penalties. Does Eade risk throwing young Roughead into the fray, or is big Will to receive another chance to atone?

Selection table - Lions

The Lions have accepted the sentences handed out to Mitch Clark and Ashley McGrath, but will welcome back Jarred Brennan from his one week lay-off.

With Clark's absence Brisbane will need to juggle Brennan and possible Staker to support Leuenberger in the ruck. Either Proud or Hanley look to be the likely beneficiaries of McGrath's suspension.

Perhaps the Lions biggest concern is the availability of Simon Black who sustained a calf injury against Port, and is rated a 50-50 chance to play. I suspect he will play, but the Lions must be concerned about the prospect of him breaking down in a game where the Dogs already seem on paper to have a significant advantage in the midfield.

The Lions could not afford him break down during the game and therefore lose a midfield rotation.

Key Match-ups

I think our game strategy for victory revolves firstly and undeniably around limiting the danger of Brown and Fevola.

To this end our stoppage work becomes vital as well as shutting down Brisbane's premier on-baller in Simon Black (assuming he plays). This will go some way to preventing the outside runners such as Johnstone and Power, and to some degree Rischitelli.

On the other side of the coin and assuming the above gives us midfield dominance, we need to look to attack smartly- ie Not being Hall conscious where he is double teamed, and to use a player who can force Brisbane's best rebounding defender in Drummond to stay closer to home.

So with these points in mind, here are my proposed key match-ups that I think can be critical in providing us with a successful excursion to the GABBATOIR.

Jonathon Brown v Lake/Williams

In scintillating form and a big performer at the GABBA, JB looms as the one key player the Dogs need to contain. I think that Lake will tend to stay within the 30-40 metre arc, and will allow Brown to roam further up field, where Williams will then take over marking duties.

From memory it was Williams who went to Brown in Rnd 20 last year in this role and performed well.

If this works out for the Dogs it will also allow Lake to support Morris on Fevola and may also give Lake the freedom to run off Brown and counter attack any Brisbane turnovers within their forward 50.

Containing Brown's output to 3 goals would go a long way to helping the Dogs to a win.

Brendan Fevola v Morris

Morris has been troubled by Fevola in previous occasions, and the success or failure of this matchup depends to a large extent on Williams ability to curtail JB's output further up field and also on the speed of delivery into Brisbane's forward line.

If the delivery is slow, Lake will be able to drop back and support Morris and quell Fev's influence.

If on the other hand the Lions are able to provide quick movement into their forward line then this will allow Fev to exert an influence and as a knock on effect it may allow JB to exert a game winning influence as Eade is forced to shuffle the defensive match ups.

Hudson/Minson v Leuenberger/Brennan/Staker?

As a platform for preventing the Lions midfield from getting first use and quick delivery to Fev and Brown it is essential for Hudson and Minson to grind down Leuenberger early and ensure that Boyd, Cross and Cooney get the ball first for us.

Given Leuenberger's height advantage Hudson's second efforts on the deck following ruck contests (particularly in the middle) are going to be important in nullifying his influence.

Around the ground Cross and Griffen may be required to act as a third man up, especially when Jarred Brennan is contesting the ruck, as his agility advantage over Hudson and Minson could result in him palming the ball to their advantage and bring Brisbane's outside mids in Johnstone and Power into the game.

Black v Addison

This match up may not pan out, however I think this is a great opportunity for Addison.
Black is the leader of the Brisbane midfielder and can both get in and under as well as use the ball well. Stopping him would be a crucial step in gaining midfield ascendency, and I think we need to do all we can to disrupt him and physically harass him.

Come on down Dylan Addison.

We know his limitations (poor disposal) and we know his strengths (attack on the ball and man) and by assigning him to a purely negative role we can highlight the latter and minimise the former and hopefully reduce Blacks influence.

Hill v Drummond.

Drummond is a great user of the ball and is the Lions version of Gilbee in that they rely on his precise kicking to break zones and set up counter attacks from down back.
By assigning Hill to Drummond it would give Drummond some need to be accountable knowing that Hill has the ability (if not the consistency) to hurt the Lions on the scoreboard as well as be an aerial target. Hill has the speed and when on song can effectively exert defensive pressure within the forward half of the ground.

Hall v Merrett

Hall has a task here as Merrett is a quality defender who has the strength to go with Hall one on one as well as compete on the lead.

As we have seen in the season to date, when our ball movement up the field is slick and quick, Hall can find space and is a major threat. When it is slow and sloppy teams are able to gang up on Hall and reduce his influence.

We have in the first two rounds especially the propensity of the Dogs to keep going to Hall even when he is double or triple teamed. We need to learn from this and our ball carriers utilise other free players when they see Hall double teamed.

X-Factor

Will the Dogs click into gear and produce the kind of four quarter performances required to be considered alongside the top contenders?

The intensity was better against the Hawks, but our disposal needs to be smarter.
I would love to see Griffen back up his solid performance last week with a repeat performance. If he can get off the chain Hall could see the slick delivery that allows him to have an influence.

For the Lions Fev and Brown are the obvious threats, but I've also been impressed by young Banfield, he has genuine footy smarts and for a young player has good strength.
Brennan is the perennial X-Factor, he can do the mercurial when on song, which can then bring the Brisbane crowd into the contest.

Verdict

I think the Dogs have more to lose and will be striving for improvement/consistency across the team and I think that the Lions have yet to be tested by a quality midfield.
The Lions will go hard early on the back of Voss's determination to show the Lions are a legitimate threat. However I think that we will increasingly wear them down and our midfield superiority should see us home

Dogs by 5 goals.

LostDoggy
13-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Great review!
Although the Lions have had good wins, you look at their opposition, and you have West Coast (Winless), Carlton (1 Win) and Port (2 Wins).
So their opposition hasn't been extremely strong.
I'm expecting a match similar to Round 20 last year.
Dogs by 20 for me!

chef
13-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Great preview Yankee.

Stop Brovola from getting more than 8 goals and we win. I would also put Cross on Black.

Sedat
13-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Stop Brovola from getting more than 8 goals and we win. I would also put Cross on Black.
Hopefully we can turn that Brovola into a Frown.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Another good preview.

Our midfield has to do what it usually does v Brisbane. Smash 'em. I'd bring Eagleton in because his run and carry could crush them - we'll certainly win enough of the ball through the likes of Boyd, Cross, Cooney and Griffen.

Important game this one. We haven't been playing well so far and this is a test. Brisbane are in good form and they'll be very keen to topple us. We're probably their bogey side - they've got a lot to prove and plenty of confidence behind themselves. We're hit by a few injuries, but we can make a statement similar to St. Kilda v Collingwood.

This game somewhat reminds me of the one late last year. Circumstances are clearly different but we're missing a few players and we've got some sore bodies. One of those games we need to grit our teeth and do what's required.

Dogs by 4 goals.

LostDoggy
13-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Great preview - thanks. I thought I heard that Black was in doubt with a calf injury? Also they have a couple out on report? I think the key here is our midfield, which needs to be firing to stop all the supply to the brovola twins! The Gabba really holds no fear for us, so the dogs by 20 points :D

Dry Rot
13-04-2010, 11:09 PM
It's interesting to read other previews in the newspapers, afl.com etc - the WOOF previews are more knowledgable, better written and more insightful that their professional counterparts.

And here's another great preview showcasing those attributes.

BTW, IIRC the Lions were the Swans' bitches for many years. Barry Hall loves playing them. :)

AndrewP6
13-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Great preview Yankee.

Brovola... :D Love it!

bornadog
13-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Great review YHF, I guess you will be at the Gabba on Saturday.

Once more the midfield will be the telling factor and I think this is one of the biggest weaknesses at Brisbane. No good having two big forwards if they are hungary but not being fed. Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, Cross, Missy will have a ball up their and Hall will be too good for Merrett.

Mantis
14-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Well done YHF, excellent preview... The match previews continue to be of excellent quality on this site and give us all a great platform to discuss our upcoming games.

As stated by other posters our midfield has dominated the Lions over the past few years which has allowed us to win 7 of our past 8 clashes, with our only loss coming when we kicked ourseleves out of it up there in '08.

Shapes as a crucial clash early in the season as we really don't want the Lions to open up a 2 game gap on us. A true test of character as no doubt our preparation will be a little hampered due to a 6 day break after a taxing game, but we have have the mental strength to overcome this.

Looking for our rucks and mid's to continue to win the contested ball and get it going our way, but if we don't I expect an improved performance across the entire 4 quarters in relation to our defensive pressure to give our backs a hand in curtailing the influence of the '2-headed monster'

P.S. As with 'chef' I believe Cross is the match-up we will go with for Black, but if Dylan does get the chance to play such a role it would be a great opportunity for him to show what he is capable of.

chef
14-04-2010, 07:54 AM

:D I like.

LostDoggy
14-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd should think all the dogs will be looking forward to the QLD sunshine again?
Early treat this year.

EasternWest
14-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Great preview Tweedy.

Must limit Brown and stop Drummond. That's the bottom line for mine.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Great review YHF, I guess you will be at the Gabba on Saturday.

Once more the midfield will be the telling factor and I think this is one of the biggest weaknesses at Brisbane. No good having two big forwards if they are hungary but not being fed. Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, Cross, Missy will have a ball up their and Hall will be too good for Merrett.

Thanks & yep just bought our tickets, am taking 11 of my wife's co-workers. I've managed to convert 3 of them into supporting the dogs, will be working on the rest of them this Saturday.

Bulldog4life
14-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks & yep just bought our tickets, am taking 11 of my wife's co-workers. I've managed to convert 3 of them into supporting the dogs, will be working on the rest of them this Saturday.

Well done. Not easy to do up there I'd imagine.

Mofra
14-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Hopefully we don't get too Hall-centric in our delivery. Merritt is the sort of defender I think matches up well on him.

If we can limit their rebound from defence, I think we will have them covered.

Sedat
14-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Echo the thoughts of others, terrific preview YHF.

From memory Crossy did the job on Black in last year's final (and did a terrific job at that). Irrespective, I don't think it is Picken's go as a tagger to nullify the inside extractors - he's been far more effective at keeping the line-breakers and space-finders in check (he's taken Lockyer, Deledio and Bateman this season, all to good effect), and if it is one thing Brisbane lacks in spades, it is that line-breaking midfielder. Black looks like a 50/50 proposition at best with his old-man's calf injury so it might be a moot point anyway.

If Addison does come into the side, I hope he isn't used down back. I'm not sold on his agility or footy smarts to be able to make a go of the lock-down tagging role either. For mine, I'd like to see him spend some time forward sweating on Drummond's every move. Throw his weight around in the forward 50, chase and harrass and tackle like the madman that he is and generally try to make Brisbane's rebounding defensive weapon feel constantly threatened for time and space. Otherwise I can't see a clearly defined role for him in the team this week, aside from the fringe role of providing relief minutes for the likes of Hargrave, Gilbee and Harbrow.

Is Jared Brennan back from suspension? Can't remember if he got 1 or 2 weeks after the Carlton game. If he's back, he would be the other player outside of Brovola that we will need to keep a close eye on. Perhaps Everitt can take a more upfield role this week ghosting around the ground on Brennan, who could torch either of Hudson/Minson with his athleticism. Assuming that Lake takes Brown and Morris takes Fev, who does Tommy go to this week? Possibly Brennan if he drifts forward. While we are on dangerous players, Travis Johnstone is still a beautiful user of the ball by foot - if he is delivering into forward 50 under no pressure, expect to see Brown or Fevola lining up for a set shot not long after. Who do we all think should take their tetanis shots before the game and line up on the vagrant?

The Coon Dog
14-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Good points Sedat. Maybe Tommy could take Staker.

LostDoggy
14-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Very clever!! :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Echo the thoughts of others, terrific preview YHF.

From memory Crossy did the job on Black in last year's final (and did a terrific job at that). Irrespective, I don't think it is Picken's go as a tagger to nullify the inside extractors - he's been far more effective at keeping the line-breakers and space-finders in check (he's taken Lockyer, Deledio and Bateman this season, all to good effect), and if it is one thing Brisbane lacks in spades, it is that line-breaking midfielder. Black looks like a 50/50 proposition at best with his old-man's calf injury so it might be a moot point anyway.

If Addison does come into the side, I hope he isn't used down back. I'm not sold on his agility or footy smarts to be able to make a go of the lock-down tagging role either. For mine, I'd like to see him spend some time forward sweating on Drummond's every move. Throw his weight around in the forward 50, chase and harrass and tackle like the madman that he is and generally try to make Brisbane's rebounding defensive weapon feel constantly threatened for time and space. Otherwise I can't see a clearly defined role for him in the team this week, aside from the fringe role of providing relief minutes for the likes of Hargrave, Gilbee and Harbrow.

Is Jared Brennan back from suspension? Can't remember if he got 1 or 2 weeks after the Carlton game. If he's back, he would be the other player outside of Brovola that we will need to keep a close eye on. Perhaps Everitt can take a more upfield role this week ghosting around the ground on Brennan, who could torch either of Hudson/Minson with his athleticism. Assuming that Lake takes Brown and Morris takes Fev, who does Tommy go to this week? Possibly Brennan if he drifts forward. While we are on dangerous players, Travis Johnstone is still a beautiful user of the ball by foot - if he is delivering into forward 50 under no pressure, expect to see Brown or Fevola lining up for a set shot not long after. Who do we all think should take their tetanis shots before the game and line up on the vagrant?

Good point on Picken's role. I think I made the same error in my preview last year of the Hawks game-assigning him to an inside mid.

Regarding Brennan he is back this week, only got the one 1 week. When he is not relieving in the ruck then I think Everitt would be a good option, and could hurt Brennan on the counter attack as Brennan often loses his opponent.

The problem I see with using Addison on Drummond is that he won't really hurt Drummond when he has the ball, which will give Drummond confidence to run off him. Hill on the other hand could require Drummond to be a bit more cautious and thus deny the Lions his greatest attribute his run and delivery off the back half.

LostDoggy
15-04-2010, 01:16 AM
This will be a hard game. Coming off a 6 day break with a very bruising game. Compared to Bris with a couple extra day break and much easier game. We need to be spot on with hitting targets and goal kicking accuracy.

w3design
15-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Looking forward to this one. We win, and we rocket right back up there with flag favouritism. Whether that is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion. Regardless, Lions are going to be tough to beat up there. Just hope our positive record at the GABBA holds up.

LostDoggy
16-04-2010, 01:12 AM
J. Brown to do his hammy after 5 minutes! :P
(Although I just put him in my SC :D)

LostDoggy
16-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Notice 2/3 of the HUN tipsters went for the Lions.
Must be a real man crush thing on Brevola.

We're still favourites though at the tote.

i think we'll get up though - we pretty much own the Lions - touch wood.

Ozza
16-04-2010, 02:51 PM

I have no doubt we are comfortably a better side than Brisbane. My only concern is having the 6 day break and having Johnson, Aker and Picko missing.

Hopefully the boys are fresh and go well - I really can't see Brisbane keeping up with us in the middle - and they have a p1ssweak backline.

LostDoggy
16-04-2010, 02:54 PM
The only way they will hurt us is if we let them move the ball quickly to Brevola! Other than that, we should have it over them.

I probably wont get to watch the game as Saturday night is cricket presentation - and I want my trophy!
So I'll be relying on our wonderful posters to let me know how the game went.

Sockeye Salmon
16-04-2010, 04:51 PM

All 7 tipsters on Thursday Nite Live went fro Brisbane, too, but it is a Sydney show and the combined AFL knowledge isn't great.

They did have Jarod Crouch as their AFL expert. Seriously. Is he the best you could do?

LostDoggy
16-04-2010, 05:01 PM
All 7 tipsters on Thursday Nite Live went fro Brisbane, too, but it is a Sydney show and the combined AFL knowledge isn't great.

They did have Jarod Crouch as their AFL expert. Seriously. Is he the best you could do?

What station is this tripe on? :confused:

w3design
16-04-2010, 05:25 PM
What station is this tripe on? :confused:

OneHD. Had Russell Robertson too, who no doubt jacks off to his own reflection.

Mofra
16-04-2010, 05:27 PM
5mm of rain forecast for Saturday in Brissie.

If it is wet, hopefully we can repeat the last result of playing them in the rain.

LostDoggy
16-04-2010, 06:01 PM
OneHD. Had Russell Robertson too, who no doubt jacks off to his own reflection.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! :D

w3design
17-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Been here a couple of days and already giving a decent laugh. I feel so accomplished

azabob
17-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Been here a couple of days and already giving a decent laugh. I feel so accomplished

Perhaps you also have the "issue" Russell Robertson has?