PDA

View Full Version : Inaccuracy in front of goals

LostDoggy
14-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Looking back at a few results over the first few rounds, you look at our a few scores, and there are some ridiculously inaccurate scores.

For example:
Pies v Saints 4.17
Dogs v Hawks 14.16
Dogs v Tigers 17.18

My question is, does anyone know any statistics or percentages about how inaccurate the whole league has been in general so far this year, compared to previous years?

w3design
14-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Not sure of the exact stats but this year has been quite inaccurate. Maybe Aker's comments about different quality footys ring true.

That said: I remember we had kicking for goal problems when Jade Rawlings was playing for us, too.

LostDoggy
15-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Gary Lyon touched on this issue on Footy Classified on Monday. Kicking accuracy is down this year compared to previous years. And there has been more points then goals kicked so far after 3 rounds.

LostDoggy
15-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Aker wrote an article on it in yesterdays Herald Sun. Didn't have time to read it all, but yes, inaccuracy is well up this season. I think we're contributing very well to it. Frustrates the hell out of me. :mad:

w3design
15-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Aker wrote an article on it in yesterdays Herald Sun. Didn't have time to read it all, but yes, inaccuracy is well up this season. I think we're contributing very well to it. Frustrates the hell out of me. :mad:

Same. Just hold onto the hope that they rectify it soon. Imagine the scores we'll kick then. That has helped me so far.

Mofra
15-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Aker's point of saying 50% of shots on goal are now taken by midfielders rather than forwards does sound reasonable on the surface, but personally I think it's a crock.

These guys are some of the most finely tuned athletes on the planet. They work so hard they can lose up to 3kg a game, especially in hot climates. Every single action in 120+ minutes of football is scrutinised, including where they run when setting up a zone, their tackling technique - heck, some guys are taught to change running style when they get drafted.

Surely we can teach players to kick a ball through two big sticks at a better than 50% success rate, looking at our last two rounds.

Matthew Lloyd reportedly used to finish his goalkicking practice with 10 set shots from 35m out, dead in front. The theory was that missing these easy shots kills you as a team and there is no excuse for it, so it should be practised. He was one of the best set shots of the past two decades and a team that can kick 9 behinds in a row can probably learn something from a guy like this.

Ozza
15-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Its almost all to do with fatigue. Its not the good old days when Peter McKenna would spend all day in the goal square and lead half a dozen times a quarter and kick 10 straight.

Even Barry Hall works up to the wing and back all day - as there are plenty of times where all 36 players are in one half of the ground. The expectation on players to provide forward pressure is almost a great deal higher. Even from when Lloyd was kicking 90+ goals a year it has increased dramatically.

Fatigue makes you miss goals. There are other factors, like technique, midset and routine - but the primary reason for missing set shots is the players being more gassed when they kick.

Mofra
15-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Its almost all to do with fatigue.
I disagree - shots on goal with lactic build up is standard practise for most clubs. As you said:

Even Barry Hall works up to the wing and back all day - as there are plenty of times where all 36 players are in one half of the ground. The expectation on players to provide forward pressure is almost a great deal higher.

Hall kicked 4 last quarter goals, and one of his behinds hit the post.
We kicked 6.2 last week Q4, our most accurate quarter of the game.

LostDoggy
16-04-2010, 01:11 AM
As Mofra said, we kicked straight in the last so can't really blame fatigue. Maybe nerves? The Crowd? Lets just hope we kick 9 (goals) in a row on Saturday every quater :D

LostDoggy
16-04-2010, 09:21 AM
The increased intensity teams are bringing is adding to the fatigue factor which is having some effect on goal kicking as well as increasing the amount of pressure on players when they are having shots, maybe the ball is a minor factor too. The may be a large luck factor though, the post still seems to get hit more times than it should for such a small target.

Sockeye Salmon
16-04-2010, 11:03 AM
As Mofra said, we kicked straight in the last so can't really blame fatigue. Maybe nerves? The Crowd? Lets just hope we kick 9 (goals) in a row on Saturday every quater :D

Maybe not fatigue but there was considerably less pressure in the last. Hall having set shots from 40 out right in front helps, too.

ledge
16-04-2010, 11:31 AM
The game against the Tigers was probably because they stacked the backline with the whole side and we were forced to rush shots due to no room, time or take them outside fifty.