PDA

View Full Version : James Podsiadly

Spargo1966
18-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Over the past few years watching James Podisadly in the VFL I have often wondered why we did not give him a try. Given that we have struggled up forward and recruited a lot of young blokes with high draft picks that did not make it. I know we recruited Scott Welsh as a lead up forward and James is getting on in years.

After watching him make his debut againt Freo last week and the first half against Port this week kicking I cannot help to be impressed. What did we have to lose by picking him?.

GVGjr
18-04-2010, 04:03 PM
All clubs passed on him year after year and don't forget he's been with a North Melbourne aligned club as well. The amendments to the rookie list rules have been his savior more so than the Cats being the visionaries of his talent.

I'm still not convinced he would have been a good selection for us.

AndrewP6
18-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Haven't followed the VFL closely I admit, but he's certainly showing a lot this year.

mighty_west
18-04-2010, 06:25 PM
All clubs passed on him year after year and don't forget he's been with a North Melbourne aligned club as well. The amendments to the rookie list rules have been his savior more so than the Cats being the visionaries of his talent.

I'm still not convinced he would have been a good selection for us.

At a time when we were desperate for talls, but also smart tall forwards, he could have been a handy pick, and i believe we were close to selecting him as well, he did a pre season with us, but, not to be.

Re: North, they have had plenty of taller options for quite some time, but yes, the mature age rookie rules have given him another shot at it.

Was good to see him bag 5 goals today, and Geelong are not exactly the quickest team going around, but they are sure a extremely smart side, and have been for some time.

He also bumped up my Supercoach again this week....:p

LostDoggy
18-04-2010, 06:52 PM
At a time when we were desperate for talls, but also smart tall forwards, he could have been a handy pick, and i believe we were close to selecting him as well, he did a pre season with us, but, not to be.

Re: North, they have had plenty of taller options for quite some time, but yes, the mature age rookie rules have given him another shot at it.

Was good to see him bag 5 goals today, and Geelong are not exactly the quickest team going around, but they are sure a extremely smart side, and have been for some time.

He also bumped up my Supercoach again this week....:p

I think it came down to the choice between him and Monty, and we went for Monty...i could be wrong, but im pretty sure thats right.....

Seeing him kick 5 goals today was bloody awesome...im soooo proud of him....

Go_Dogs
18-04-2010, 07:13 PM
He's looked pretty good thus far.

As GVGjr said, it's not easy to say that he would have been a great fit for us, but based on what we have seen, he's certainly capable at AFL level. Hope he continues to play well for them, except against us.

BulldogBelle
18-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Simple question

Who would most of your prefer in our side?

Pods or Hahn?

Just for the rest of 2010....

LostDoggy
18-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Article about Pods being a 'Cult figure'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/92592/default.aspx

MrMahatma
18-04-2010, 11:39 PM
IMO recruiting is the single most important part of our game at the moment. We've done very well with rookie listed players over the past few years.

In this case, I think we messed up and over analysed it. If one of our kids was doing the things Pods was doing in the VFL our selection panel would pick them for the dogs. Why a late pick isn't worth spending on a guy who you'd defintely be getting senior games too, is beyond me.

Remi Moses
19-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Got no doubts we would've picked him up if the Mature age Rookie rule had been in a few years back.Good to seem him do well but they could stick Any one of us in that side!

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 08:31 AM
They will not get away with Mooney, Pods and Hawkins in the same side come September.

They might get away with it against Port Adelaide but they won't against good sides in September, especially on the MCG.

Hotdog60
26-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Pods had a shocker today, should of had 4 goals against his name.

comrade
26-04-2010, 05:02 PM
They will not get away with Mooney, Pods and Hawkins in the same side come September.

Nice call, EJ. They couldn't even get away with it against Carlton, in April!

bornadog
26-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Simple question

Who would most of your prefer in our side?

Pods or Hahn?

Just for the rest of 2010....

Hahn, we have Barry and there is no room for the two of them

GVGjr
26-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Good or bad game I'm not sure why Pods gets mentioned by so many Doggies supporters.
If it's about missing out on a local boy or not having the guts to pull the trigger on drafting him a few season earlier I'm actually more dirty about us not having Barlow in our sights.

I just don't see the fascination about Pods by our supporters

comrade
26-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Good or bad game I'm not sure why Pods gets mentioned by so many Doggies supporters.
If it's about missing out on a local boy or not having the guts to pull the trigger on drafting him a few season earlier I'm actually more dirty about us not having Barlow in our sights.

Were we ever linked with Barlow?

GVGjr
26-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Were we ever linked with Barlow?

No. Down from the country and was a dominate VFL player last year. Axe was telling all and sundry that he was a gun but I don't think we have a good relationship with Axe. Bond did and sent the Freo recruiting team in for a good look.

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 05:58 PM
The mature age rookie rule is the only reason Pods got a chance, if it was in 4 or 5 years ago i am sure we would have given him a chance

comrade
26-04-2010, 06:03 PM
No. Down from the country and was a dominate VFL player last year. Axe was telling all and sundry that he was a gun but I don't think we have a good relationship with Axe. Bond did and sent the Freo recruiting team in for a good look.

I'm not big on the whole 'we should have given Pods a chance' bandwagon but the Barlow decision is different to the Pods scenario though, as we had a KPF deficiency and he trained with us a number of times. Barlow was no worse a decision made by us than by 14 other clubs (Essendon being the mugs with whom he trained over the pre-season).

That being said, he'd be much more valuable to us than Thorne this year.

Hotdog60
26-04-2010, 06:18 PM

I'm not a big follower of the VFL, being that I live up north. I was making a note on a thread that he had some poor kicking today.

I wouldn't have a clue who was good at VFL level, I can only rely on the info from WOOF.:)

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Just got back from the game, and your right Pods did hvae a shocker today, should have had at least 2 goals......the delivery to the forwards wasnt that great, but when he and others got the chance they should have put it on the scoreboard...

Im a huge fan of Micky Barlow, have watched him the past 2 years on and off...and was spewin we didnt grab him...

Ah well we dont have either of them, and ill go watch both of them when i get the chance.........good luck to both guys i say.....

Bulldog4life
26-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Just got back from the game, and your right Pods did hvae a shocker today, should have had at least 2 goals......the delivery to the forwards wasnt that great, but when he and others got the chance they should have put it on the scoreboard...

Im a huge fan of Micky Barlow, have watched him the past 2 years on and off...and was spewin we didnt grab him...

Ah well we dont have either of them, and ill go watch both of them when i get the chance.........good luck to both guys i say.....

Sometimes the recruiters go far and wide when the player can be on their doorstep. Another example was when Adelaide first signed Huddo.

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Sometimes the recruiters go far and wide when the player can be on their doorstep. Another example was when Adelaide first signed Huddo.

Exactly right.....

mighty_west
26-04-2010, 07:21 PM

For me personally, being a Williamstown supporter all my life, but with the alignment between the Dogs & Werribee, not really caring too much about results, just really enjoyed watching the Pods play, being so dominant, and even making alot of the Bulldog listed players look second rate [most of those players are long gone now].

I guess you just watch some of the VFL listed players, and keep an eye on a few, was a fan of Jarrod Garth, not tall but built like a truck - forward, but obvious d'head off field, there have been a few others you'd think, i wonder if they would have made the grade if selected back then.

So for me, just taking an interest from back then, and now enjoying watching him play for Geelong, although i hope he has a shocker against us....of course.

bulldogsman
27-04-2010, 08:29 PM

To be fair we didn't really need Barlow because we have plenty of this type. It's just a pity 3 of them are injured though :eek:

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I still get the feeling that he is purely for backup reasons, just in case one of there big guns go down during the season. I couldn't see them playing 3 big guys in the forward line come finals & with the inclusion this week of Stokes, it's probably only going to get harder for Pods to get in.

Thoughts?

Topdog
15-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I still get the feeling that he is purely for backup reasons, just in case one of there big guns go down during the season. I couldn't see them playing 3 big guys in the forward line come finals & with the inclusion this week of Stokes, it's probably only going to get harder for Pods to get in.

Thoughts?

If that is the case Thompson is a terrible coach. Pods is clearly ahead of Hawkins at the moment. If anyone will struggle to keep their spot it will be the hawk.

mighty_west
15-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Thoughts?

I reckon that would have been the innitial plan, as a back up option, but like TopDog said, he is clearly ahead of Hawkins.

That said, i actually think their forward structure works with the 3 big men, they don't seem to get in each others way, already have an understanding with each other, and whilst Tom Hawkins is struggling somewhat, he still gives them another option & makes sure opposition defenders need to keep check, and not be given any options to play a loose defnder.

Whilst Geelong have been great for sometime mow, their forward line has never really been seen as dangerous as their midfield or as solid as their defence, having the 3 big men seem to give that forward line a new dimension.

BulldogBelle
15-06-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm Outraged that we did not recruit Podsiadly, Barlow and Ben Hudson when we initially had the chance. These players were plucked from right under our nose by other clubs. Losing Ben Hudson was bad enough, now there are three strikes. Podsiadly and Barlow were taken as Rookies.

With Podsiadly we may have won a premiership in the last few years. Where is my Premiership Cup? Who is responsible? I'd like to receive a full explanation from the club on how they managed to screw this up.

Podsiadly even trained with us when we were for years lacking a tall forward. I'd like to know who is responsible for these screw-ups and would like their head.

Has the club learned anything by this? Is there anybody at the club who has a red face? Anybody held accountable? Has anybody registered their disappointment with the club administration, or do we just accept this as a badge of mediocracy.

Somebody at the club has to write an answer to this "please explain".

bornadog
15-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm Outraged that we did not recruit Podsiadly, Barlow and Ben Hudson when we initially had the chance. These players were plucked from right under our nose by other clubs. Losing Ben Hudson was bad enough, now there are three strikes. Podsiadly and Barlow were taken as Rookies.

With Podsiadly we may have won a premiership in the last few years. Where is my Premiership Cup? Who is responsible? I'd like to receive a full explanation from the club on how they managed to screw this up.

Podsiadly even trained with us when we were for years lacking a tall forward. I'd like to know who is responsible for these screw-ups and would like their head.

Has the club learned anything by this? Is there anybody at the club who has a red face? Anybody held accountable? Has anybody registered their disappointment with the club administration, or do we just accept this as a badge of mediocracy.

Why should the club do that for every so called recruiting error? There are hundered of errors made, but at the time of recruiting we take the best we think is available. 15 other clubs didn't pick Pods and if we did, we wouldn't have Barry Hall, who suits us a lot better.

Mantis
15-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Why don't you send your complaint to the club rather than posting it here?

The bolded bit makes you sound like a tool.

chef
15-06-2010, 01:24 PM

If we are going to use hindsight I can think of 100's of better players we have missed. Drafting is as much a lottery as it is a science.

Desipura
15-06-2010, 01:26 PM
If we are going to use hindsight I can think of 100's of better players we have missed. Drafting is as much a lottery as it is a science.
Right you are, there was James Condos when we could have picked up Aaron Davey (15 other clubs also decided against picking Davey up)

Sockeye Salmon
15-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah. We should have drafted Brian Harris when no other club wanted him ...

Oh wait.

Go_Dogs
15-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm just glad Geelong didn't take a punt on Pods a couple of years earlier...

hujsh
15-06-2010, 03:33 PM

Pretty sure I've read here that we would have but the Crows jumped us that year by using an earlier pick

The Coon Dog
15-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Pretty sure I've read here that we would have but the Crows jumped us that year by using an earlier pick

No, the coach of the club at the time said, 'Ben Hudson will never play AFL football'.

chef
15-06-2010, 03:38 PM
No, the coach of the club at the time said, 'Ben Hudson will never play AFL football'.

Our mastermind:D

mighty_west
15-06-2010, 04:10 PM

They might get away with it against Port Adelaide but they won't against good sides in September, especially on the MCG.

Why? I actually think all 3 compliment each other quite nicely, they can all switch positions up forward as well, Hawkins to me, has shown that he is probably best to switch hit from the forward line, to being that 2nd ruck option, if they can get Ottens back [goodbye Blake].

Pod's strengths, include reading the play as well as any forward going around, he also showed he could also dominate at CHB whilst thrown back there a few times at Werribee, but also his ability to win the contested ball, and natually taking contested grabs, all the strenghts i would have thought that would be vital come September.

azabob
15-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Don't worry James the man responsible is now gone and he's with The gold coast, perhaps you'd like to join him?