PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow Forward

boydogs
18-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Whilst this is something that has been discussed on and off in various threads, I thought it was worth creating a new one to look at moving Harbrow forward given where things currently stand:

- Forward line full of old and slow players - Hall, Hahn, Johnson, Aker are nearing the end of their careers, Higgins and Gia aren't the quickest going around. Johnson and Aker to come in to a side this week that is already lacking forward line pace

- Bench rotations down compared to sides with at least one of their two ruckman who is a competent option somewhere else on the field, and therefore doesn't have to be hidden away on the bench when not in the ruck. Putting Minson forward to solve this problem makes the first problem worse

- Addison played well and may keep his spot in the side

- Harbrow is getting beaten by his direct opponent - his rebounding has been great, but he is not nullifying his opponent whilst doing this

- Gilbee has stepped up again after a disappointing 2009 and is setting up a lot of play from the backline. Hargrave is also there as a playmaker

- Barry Hall is playing well, but sides are double and triple teaming him and running the ball out after spoiling

I think we would be better off putting Addison in defense to shut down an opponent, rather than relying on Harbrow to do this as well as set up play. We could definitely use Harbrow up forward for crumbing and defensive pressure, I think we would all be suprised by the difference he could make to our forward line.

The Barry Hall triple teaming that goes on could be exposed if we have a genuine crumber to read the ball of the pack in these contests and find one of the free players created by the opposition defenders ganging up on Barry

What do you think? Time to give it a go, or is he too valuable down back?

The Bulldogs Bite
18-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I think Harbrow is better value down back but it's probably worth a try given the state of our forward line. Minson, Hahn and Hill are all out of form. Hall's contributing each week, Murphy plays further up the ground and Higgins ditto due to our lack of mids at the moment.

Probably worth trying as it gives us another option if he's getting beaten down back. When we line our best 18 up, he'll always be named/start as a defender but I see merit in your suggestion.

Agree his drive has been good in the last 3 weeks, but he's been beaten by his direct opponent quite often too.

LostDoggy
18-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I think he offers more for us in the backline, his run and carry is important but If Gilbee and Hargrave can get back in form then maybe Harbrow could help in the forward line, but I agree that he will proberly always start back and maybe get a run up forward.

BulldogBelle
18-04-2010, 10:49 PM
If he have a quality small at Barry's feet how many extra goals will we get a game?

2 or 3 tops

We are going to be robbing Peter to pay Paul by moving Harbrow forward....move him we loose a significant ability to cut up opposition teams zones in the back 50

bornadog
18-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Well whether its Harbrow or another player (don't know who), we need a small pacey type up forward to hang around Barry's feet and crumb the ball as well as to put some sort of defensive pressure on, when the opposition are running the ball out of our forward line.

stefoid
19-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Agree we need a crumber, but not harbrow.

Dont know who.

chef
19-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Who replaces Harbrow as a small defender?

Maybe be Callan, but if he has done his knee I can't see a suitable replacement on our list ATM.

On the small forward note, is Hooper a lead and mark small forward or does he also crumb his goals as well and what his defensive pressure like?

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Who replaces Harbrow as a small defender?

Maybe be Callan, but if he has done his knee I can't see a suitable replacement on our list ATM.

On the small forward note, is Hooper a lead and mark small forward or does he also crumb his goals as well and what his defensive pressure like?

Have only see him play once and from what i saw dont think he is a mark and lead forward. reminds me a little like Schneider from St Kilda, same build

chef
19-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Have only see him play once and from what i saw dont think he is a mark and lead forward. reminds me a little like Schneider from St Kilda, same build

Thanks.

I have heard he is very good over head and can take a speccy. He's just what we need so hopefully he can keep playing well and maybe come onto the list later in the year.

Hotdog60
19-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Hooper kicked 3 goals against the GC on the weekend, might be one for the VFL posters to keep am eye on.

Ozza
19-04-2010, 11:54 AM
I really don't think Harbrow has the small forward nouse of knowing where the goals are.
He has been terrific in defense and there is no real reason to change that.

We only had 39 inside 50s on Saturday night- so our conversion rate when going forward was actually very good. We just didn't get the ball past the centre because it either slipped out of our hands or we kicked to the opposition.

We'll be better with Johnno and Aker and I assure you - Brisbane won't get us again.

mighty_west
19-04-2010, 12:20 PM

From his highlight tapes from the under 18's, his defensive pressure looked to be his major strength, a real bull in a china shop type.

As mentioned, kicked 3 on the weekend, also bagged 3 in the praccy match v Coburg.

chef
19-04-2010, 12:27 PM
From his highlight tapes from the under 18's, his defensive pressure looked to be his major strength, a real bull in a china shop type.

As mentioned, kicked 3 on the weekend, also bagged 3 in the praccy match v Coburg.

Is he quick?

mighty_west
19-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Is he quick?

He is actually, given his nuggety frame, i wouldn't say lightning, but quick enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9HyRbxP8TQ&feature=related

Mofra
19-04-2010, 01:05 PM
A budding Matthew Robbins type then?

A crumbing, defensively minded forward would be great for us at the moment. Bit hard to see the kid coming into the side when Johnno & Aker are back this week.

mighty_west
19-04-2010, 01:26 PM
A budding Matthew Robbins type then?

A crumbing, defensively minded forward would be great for us at the moment. Bit hard to see the kid coming into the side when Johnno & Aker are back this week.

He looks as though he can play anywhere as well, that crumbing goal was great, but really attacks the ball from half back as well, seems to really take players on, attack on the ball first class, could be one to watch out for.

Dazza
19-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Is he fit enough for AFL football? Just judging on looks alone and that one game against Collingwoods VFL team he looked a little podgy. Is that just his bodytype?

Hotdog60
19-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Andrew Hooper..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Diggydogxx/IMG_5300.jpg

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Doubtful Hooper will play senior AFL footy this year given he's a rookie, but it seems he's had a few OK weeks. If he can keep improving, we should upgrade him because as others have said - his defensive pressure would be much needed. I like his hard at it approach, too.

For the Williamstown watchers, has Hooper impressed or merely been a little lucky in terms of goal output?

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 10:51 PM
harbrow started as a fwd as was a bit of a surprise to actually see him go back at first - though a good thing in the end.

Yeh, we're missing a small fwd but I'd like to see Aker take up that roll IMHO.

He is getting on a bit (so less midfield time I think) and him and Hall in the fwd 50 will be a real headache for most defences!

boydogs
20-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I really don't think Harbrow has the small forward nouse of knowing where the goals are.

He started with us as a forward
See highlights below

Yf4WurBbrBQ

He has been terrific in defense and there is no real reason to change that.

See OP

We only had 39 inside 50s on Saturday night- so our conversion rate when going forward was actually very good. We just didn't get the ball past the centre because it either slipped out of our hands or we kicked to the opposition.

One of the misconceptions about inside 50's is that they are purely based on midfield performance. In reality, the pressure applied in the forward line has a lot to do with whether the opposition turn the ball over when trying to rebound and thus create an inside 50 for us coming back in again

We'll be better with Johnno and Aker and I assure you - Brisbane won't get us again.

It doesn't make much sense to me to say that the issue was that we didn't get the ball past the centre, but then say Johnno & Aker will make the difference. I think the loss to Brisbane was due to a lack of run, and I'm not sure a couple of 30+ guys are going to help that

-----

At the moment, we have no crumber and no other options. We have 2 other rebounders already in Gilbee and Hargrave. A lock down defender such as Addison (current best option), Tiller or Callan could take his place down there to better quell the small forwards that have been killing us so far this year, and Harbrow could bring much needed crumbing and pressure to our forwardline

LostDoggy
20-04-2010, 11:37 AM
He looks like he knows how to snap and find the goals, he could add alot up forward I think especially with his speed and pressure.

I think we should give him a quarter or 2 atleast this week up forward to see how he goes.