PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Fan in the clink

aker39
19-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Anyone know this bloke

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/04/19/1337640/420_fevola_beer-420x0.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/weekend-in-clink-for-fevoladousing-bulldogs-fan-20100419-snl1.html

Weekend in clink for Fevola-dousing Bulldogs fan
April 19, 2010

A lifetime Western Bulldogs supporter has spent a weekend in the watchhouse after throwing beer over controversial AFL star Brendan Fevola.

Campbell Paul Davey, 56, of Melbourne, appeared briefly in Brisbane Magistrates Court this morning over the incident.

Davey, who the court heard had attended more than 2000 AFL games, was in the Gabba crowd in the Bulldogs' loss to the Brisbane Lions on Saturday night.

Lions full forward Fevola starred in Brisbane's 22-point win by kicking four goals in the third quarter.

The court heard that while celebrating a Lions goal, Fevola ran towards the boundary fence directly behind the goal posts and started verbally abusing Bulldogs fans.

Other Lions players retired towards the centre of the field.

The court heard Davey threw "a small amount of beer" on Fevola.

The AFL player then told police and security officials who threw the beer and Davey was arrested.

Davey spent the weekend since his arrest in the watchhouse and missed his flight home.

He pleaded guilty to interfering with a person engaged in a sporting event.

The magistrate noted two nights in custody was more than sufficient penalty and Davey was released from custody immediately.

Desipura
19-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Sign him up to woof! Seriously at 56, you would think he would know better.

chef
19-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Fair enough, you can't do that to players(even morons like Fev).

comrade
19-04-2010, 01:20 PM
What a tool, but was it worth 2 nights in lockup? What happened to the slapper who did the same thing to Johnno last year?

G-Mo77
19-04-2010, 01:28 PM
What happened to the slapper who did the same thing to Johnno last year?

Nothing, just public outcry.

Bulldog4life
19-04-2010, 01:30 PM

And unlike Fev Johhno wasn't mouthing off to the opposition supporters either.

aker39
19-04-2010, 02:44 PM
He's had this to say outside court.

Outside the court, the paid-up Bulldogs’ fan said he was stranded in Brisbane because friends had taken all his identity papers when he was arrested.

‘‘Mr Fevola came over to the fence and started abusing the Bulldogs’ supporters,’’ Davey said.

‘‘Jonathan Brown had just kicked a goal ... and instead of running back down the ground Mr Fevola ran over and started gobbing off at the Western Bulldogs’ (fans).

‘‘I shouldn’t have done what I did, I accept that.’’

Davey said he could not remember what was said, but some fans were ribbing Fevola about his admitted gambling addiction.

‘‘I got a lot of beer tipped over me by Brisbane supporters, but the police didn’t seem to worry about that,’’ Davey said.

Police had told him Fevola had pointed him out as the beer-thrower.

‘‘I actually thought they were just going to throw me out of the ground, I didn’t think I’d be strip-searched and thrown in the cells and all that," he said.

‘‘I don’t think me (sic) wife will be too happy.’’

As to an apology to Fevola, Davey declined the opportunity.

‘‘He gobbed off at me and I threw some beer at him, I think that’s a fair exchange,’’ he said.

‘‘I don’t talk to idiots.’’

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Two nights in the slot for that?

Is Joe back in control in Brisbane?

Perhaps Big Russ has made a comeback.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm amazed at the 2000 games part.
Really?
That's 36 games a year.
I think not.

The Underdog
19-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Vossy's all indignant now.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/92636/default.aspx

Vossy wouldn't have lasted long at Moorabin in the 80's. Surely he played at Vic Park though.

I guess we should be expecting retroactive punishment for Fevola for spilling beer all over other footballer's at the Brownlow.

I know what this guy did was wrong but he spent 2 night's in jail and missed a flight home. I think he's had his punishment

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm amazed at the 2000 games part.
Really?
That's 36 games a year.
I think not.

Maybe they mean all games, not just Bulldogs games? :)

I think 2 nights in the lock up is a bit much. Apparently you can throw beer on opposition players though. :rolleyes:

Remi Moses
19-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Geez tough justice considering someone did the same thing up there in August! Not condoning what he did but really 2nights for that!

EasternWest
19-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't think the penalty was too harsh at all. Love his passion, hate his execution. Behaviour like that is way out of line, simple as that.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Where is the precedence? Nothing happened to the previous person that did the same thing to Brad Johnson last year. They only wrote an apology.

mighty_west
19-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Anyone know this bloke

Um.....yep.

:eek:

AndrewP6
19-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Jeez, I was embarrassed when I saw this guy on the news tonight. Just the sort of thing we take pride in our supporters NOT doing. As Caro would say "BAD CALL, STUPID CALL, IDIOTIC CALL". Kind of ironic with Fev being the one to point out the perpetrator. Pot and kettle? Penalty harsh in comparison to the woman last year, but it was a dumb thing to do.

mighty_west
19-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Known him for years, played cricket with him for years, top bloke, has a bit of a mouth, but very out charactor to do what he did, he wouldn't hurt a fly, but, stupid thing to do.

Flamethrower
19-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Certainly know Paul. Played cricket with him for 20 years, used to go the the footy with him and he even went to my wedding.

Very much out of character for him, and I bet he feels extreme remorse.

Interesting to read that Campbell Rose said he wasn't a member, when as far as I know he has been a social club member for years.

Maybe it is time the AFL did something about players running at opposition supporters to taunt them and possibly encite a riot.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Certainly know Paul. Played cricket with him for 20 years, used to go the the footy with him and he even went to my wedding.

Interesting to read that Campbell Rose said he wasn't a member, when as far as I know he has been a social club member for years.

Maybe it is time the AFL did something about players running at opposition supporters to taunt them and possibly encite a riot.

I think he was also wearing the Bulldogs members scarf on the news. :rolleyes:

ledge
19-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Isnt that the bulldogs member cap on his head too?

BulldogBelle
19-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Think she apologised and the matter was left at that

Bit different when an opposition fan does the same thing

Two nights in prison. Wow! Thats a long time to sober up!

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 10:07 PM
If only he had offerred Fev a Betting ticket for Lang park trots!!! Fev woulda pissed off for a punt & we woulda won by 5 goals

The Adelaide Connection
19-04-2010, 11:25 PM
I don't think the penalty was too harsh at all. Love his passion, hate his execution. Behaviour like that is way out of line, simple as that.

I hope you are kidding. Whilst I do not condone his behaviour at all to suggest that even one night in lock up is fair is absolutely ridiculous.

To put it into perspective for you, when Hurley kicked and punched a taxi driver he spent only a few hours in lockup.

A spokeswoman for Victoria police confirmed a 19-year-old Rosanna man was questioned over an assault following a disputed cab fare in Hoddle St, Richmond, about 5.30am today.

The taxi driver was allegedly kicked and punched but only suffered minor injuries and was not taken to hospital.

Hurley left a police station in Fitzroy just before midday.

If Fevola was in your face giving you a mouthful in the heat of the moment I would hope the average person could summon the mental strength to do nothing in return. But a silly reaction (probably executed in a relfex manner without thinking) to flick half a beer in his face, whilst unnacceptable, is hardly serious criminal behaviour and to be stripped searched and spend two nights in jail? I am no lawyer but I bet they are hoping that he doesn't have the cash for a good attorney because I suspect even the judge realised that it was extremely heavy handed.

I think a far more appropriate course of action would be to eject him for the game, give him an official police caution, and to give him a punishment that actually fits the crime... an approprite AFL or club enforced sanction that prohibits him attending games for a set period (perhaps 1-3 months like a hotel barring).

If you read the report about the lady that threw beer on Johnson, she too was an average footy fan and she seemed sincerely sorry for her actions for the unprovoked attack. At the time all parties involved seemed to acknowledge that it was just a bad judgement call and the embarrassment of the incident was probably punishment enough.

bornadog
19-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Did you see the footage, he hardly even threw half a cup of beer on his back, I doubt Fev even felt it. Nothing like the drenching Johnno copped last year.

The Coon Dog
20-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Initially the club was given the member's name incorrectly by the media which led to the confusion as to whether he was a member or not. It has since been clarified & he is a member.

LostDoggy
20-04-2010, 10:40 AM
KB and Patrick Smith are all over it this morning, being incredibly sanctimonious, calling it a criminal act (compaing it to a player blowing above the legal limit, lying about it etc.) and saying that the club's reaction was pathetic.

I'm always reminded why I don't listen to those clowns.

LostDoggy
20-04-2010, 11:35 AM
KB and Patrick Smith are all over it this morning, being incredibly sanctimonious, calling it a criminal act (compaing it to a player blowing above the legal limit, lying about it etc.) and saying that the club's reaction was pathetic.

They didn't get all that worked up or call it a criminal act when Johnno was doused with beer last year. Idiots. :mad:

comrade
20-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Meh.

SEN’s share of the Melbourne radio market is pathetic so any attack on the Bulldogs brand will have minimal damage.

LostDoggy
20-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Meh.

SEN’s share of the Melbourne radio market is pathetic so any attack on the Bulldogs brand will have minimal damage.

Off topic, but what does this mean? I've seen it written a few times, but have no idea!! :o

comrade
20-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Off topic, but what does this mean? I've seen it written a few times, but have no idea!! :o

Definition of Meh:

Indifference; to be used when one simply does not care. The verbal equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders.

LostDoggy
20-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Definition of Meh:

Indifference; to be used when one simply does not care. The verbal equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders.

Thanks. :)

mighty_west
20-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Initially the club was given the member's name incorrectly by the media which led to the confusion as to whether he was a member or not. It has since been clarified & he is a member.

Yeah he has been a member for years, and whilst it was a dumb, well, stupid thing to do, he has spent 2 nights in the lock up, surely more than enough punishment plus the embaressment, i really hope he doesn't get his membership suspended as well.

ledge
20-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I think he should sue.

Remi Moses
20-04-2010, 03:34 PM
No doubt another issue which will be beaten to an inch of it's life!Just wondering why that woman who threw a cup of grog on Johnson wasn't thrown out!

EasternWest
20-04-2010, 05:33 PM
I hope you are kidding. Whilst I do not condone his behaviour at all to suggest that even one night in lock up is fair is absolutely ridiculous.

To put it into perspective for you, when Hurley kicked and punched a taxi driver he spent only a few hours in lockup.

If Fevola was in your face giving you a mouthful in the heat of the moment I would hope the average person could summon the mental strength to do nothing in return. But a silly reaction (probably executed in a relfex manner without thinking) to flick half a beer in his face, whilst unnacceptable, is hardly serious criminal behaviour and to be stripped searched and spend two nights in jail? I am no lawyer but I bet they are hoping that he doesn't have the cash for a good attorney because I suspect even the judge realised that it was extremely heavy handed.

I think a far more appropriate course of action would be to eject him for the game, give him an official police caution, and to give him a punishment that actually fits the crime... an approprite AFL or club enforced sanction that prohibits him attending games for a set period (perhaps 1-3 months like a hotel barring).

If you read the report about the lady that threw beer on Johnson, she too was an average footy fan and she seemed sincerely sorry for her actions for the unprovoked attack. At the time all parties involved seemed to acknowledge that it was just a bad judgement call and the embarrassment of the incident was probably punishment enough.

Nope. This is stupid behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated. Maybe the inconvenience of two nights in the lock-up and the hassle of re-organising and paying for flights will remind this guy that he is an adult, and should behave accordingly. It's the type of ugly thing (violent swearing and disregard for others also) that makes me cringe when I see/hear/read about it. And I don't see the Hurley incident as giving this any perspective. IMO Hurley got off way too light.

BUT I agree with you 100% on the second part of your response that I have bolded.

Mitcha
20-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Pretty sure this idiot is the same one who copped a beating from a Collingwood supporter at the Dome a few years ago for having an overly smart mouth from first bounce to final siren.
Just when we think our players and supporters are better behaved than those involved with other clubs, up jumps this clown. Time to grow up old man.

Remi Moses
20-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Funny stuff getting behavioural advice from Voss!

The Adelaide Connection
20-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Nope. This is stupid behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated. Maybe the inconvenience of two nights in the lock-up and the hassle of re-organising and paying for flights will remind this guy that he is an adult, and should behave accordingly. It's the type of ugly thing (violent swearing and disregard for others also) that makes me cringe when I see/hear/read about it. And I don't see the Hurley incident as giving this any perspective. IMO Hurley got off way too light.

BUT I agree with you 100% on the second part of your response that I have bolded.

I agree that the behaviour is grossly unacceptable but it is far from criminal. Therefore suspending his right to attend games for a set period is a far more logical consequence and he still earns a harsh lesson and it still acts as a heavy deterrant for others.

Whether you think Hurley did or didn't get off lightly is almost irrelevant. He didn't. So a bloke who commits a very serious crime walks out of the police station 7 hours later and a bloke that underarms 300mls of beer on the back of a players back gets two nights and a strip search. It is comparing apples to oranges a bit but it still illustrates the point.

If he had of done this in a pub he would be equally the idiot he is but would have got nothing more than turfed out of the pub. I still wouldn't want this type of behaviour representative of our footy club and I too would still cringe, but lets take away the hysteria of a celebrity being involved and see it for what it is.

Scorlibo
21-04-2010, 12:32 AM
‘‘I got a lot of beer tipped over me by Brisbane supporters, but the police didn’t seem to worry about that,’’ Davey said.

I find that bit pretty important, what's the difference between a player and a supporter in terms of legal rights for safety and wellbeing? There's no way he deserved 2 nights in a cell for that! Especially when that hag who poored beer all over Johnno got off scott free. Rubbish double standards everywhere.

hujsh
21-04-2010, 10:21 AM

There'd be no room left in prisons by your standards over the weekend

EasternWest
21-04-2010, 10:48 AM
There'd be no room left in prisons by your standards over the weekend

Agreed, my stance is on the strong side, but IMO this guy's way out of line.

EasternWest
21-04-2010, 10:54 AM
I agree that the behaviour is grossly unacceptable but it is far from criminal. Therefore suspending his right to attend games for a set period is a far more logical consequence and he still earns a harsh lesson and it still acts as a heavy deterrant for others.

Whether you think Hurley did or didn't get off lightly is almost irrelevant. He didn't. So a bloke who commits a very serious crime walks out of the police station 7 hours later and a bloke that underarms 300mls of beer on the back of a players back gets two nights and a strip search. It is comparing apples to oranges a bit but it still illustrates the point.

If he had of done this in a pub he would be equally the idiot he is but would have got nothing more than turfed out of the pub. I still wouldn't want this type of behaviour representative of our footy club and I too would still cringe, but lets take away the hysteria of a celebrity being involved and see it for what it is.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the point of the punishment.

It's not about the hysteria of celebrity at all for mine. It's about our players being able to go about their business without threat or fear of missiles/offensive items coming over the fence at them. I don't like Fevola, but his style adds a certain showmanship that gives footy some of it's great character (Yes, I used the term Fevola and great character in the same sentence, but believe me they would ordinarily be mutually exclusive).

If a player chooses to banter with a spectator or respond to their taunts so be it. Tossing beer on them is not on. Would we all still feel the same if it had been a cup full of urine (and before anyone cries shenanigans, I have seen a feral supporter from another side pi$$ing in a cup at a game)?

bornadog
21-04-2010, 11:14 AM

It's not about the hysteria of celebrity at all for mine. It's about our players being able to go about their business without threat or fear of missiles/offensive items coming over the fence at them. I don't like Fevola, but his style adds a certain showmanship that gives footy some of it's great character (Yes, I used the term Fevola and great character in the same sentence, but believe me they would ordinarily be mutually exclusive).

If a player chooses to banter with a spectator or respond to their taunts so be it. Tossing beer on them is not on. Would we all still feel the same if it had been a cup full of urine (and before anyone cries shenanigans, I have seen a feral supporter from another side pi$$ing in a cup at a game)?

Agree, but the punishment was over the top. Two days locked away for half a cup of beer. At best he should have copped a fine and kicked out of the ground.

LostDoggy
21-04-2010, 11:22 AM
TWO DAYS! What a joke! What did that tart get last year when she threw a keg on BJ??? Nothing no doubt. He shouldn't have done it, but deadset - two days !

The Adelaide Connection
21-04-2010, 12:26 PM

I totally agree with you that at no time is it ok for anyone to throw anything over the fence and I don't think anyone disagrees with that. The issue is the gross mishandling of the individual that, despite doing something incredibly stupid on the national stage, deserves to be treated with at least a grain of comparison to others that do something similarly incredibly stupid. But like Bornadog said it is this side of things that they got horribly wrong. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

The Adelaide Connection
21-04-2010, 12:39 PM

I totally agree with you that at no time is it ok for anyone to throw anything over the fence and I don't think anyone disagrees with that. The issue is the gross mishandling of the individual that, despite doing something incredibly stupid on the national stage, deserves to be treated with at least a grain of comparison to others that do something similarly incredibly stupid. But like Bornadog said it is this side of things that they got horribly wrong. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

EasternWest
21-04-2010, 02:00 PM

Fair enough. You're of course right about the requirement for consistency, but it never seems to happen.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Only thing that should cross the fence-line are words and looks. I reckon that it was a waste of beer unless it was XXXX, then I could sort of understand Davey's overwhelming desire to empty his cup as quick as possible.

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Only thing that should cross the fence-line are words and looks. I reckon that it was a waste of beer unless it was XXXX, then I could sort of understand Davey's overwhelming desire to empty his cup as quick as possible.

Ha ha. Funny. Although one might asked why he spent his hard earned on XXXX in the first place if that were the case.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Only Carlton Mid and Draught at the footy up here.
Gee it'd be nice if Matilda Bay did a deal with the AFL.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Only Carlton Mid and Draught at the footy up here.

No wonder people keep throwing the stuff away, just as bad as xxxx:D