PDA

View Full Version : WOOF plug on SEN

The Pie Man
21-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Useless trivia for you all

I managed to get on SEN for the first time this morning - I got in the car about 8:15 and heard some discussion re: clubs involved with Anzac Day and that other clubs probably didn't explore the idea of playing that day because they thought they'd get shut down, so I decided to call given I read here that we actually played one ages ago.

Much to my amazement I got through. Had to wait over the ad break, but got on and mentioned 'I read recently on the Whitten Oval Online Forum that Footscary played an ANZAC Day game in the late 70's/early 80's'

Watson seemed to remember it, then Andy Maher just said 'yeah well it is what it is' and Watson said 'well there's no reason we can't play other games on Anzac Day, double or triple headers' And that was it, next call.

Anyone here it?

For the record, I don't care Essendon & Collingwood have a monopoly on the day, just thought I'd state the fact that they weren't the first.

Now, I've looked everywhere for the thread that I read this info on and can't find it - anyone help? :o

The Coon Dog
21-04-2010, 01:00 PM
I heard you Rohan & the first thing I did as I was stuck in traffic was think 'who the bloody hell is Rohan on WOOF'?

Can't recall the info you referred to either.

LostDoggy
21-04-2010, 01:27 PM
hehe. cool. i dont remember bulldogs playing on anzac day ever (mainly becuase i was born in 1986 :P)
but i dont mind if the pies and dons have it.

bornadog
21-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I remember going to games on ANZAC day in the 70's and 80's. One vivid memory is actually playing Collingwood at Vic Park. I use to get pissed off that games had to start after 1pm so there was no reserves match at the same venue, so in the above example, Collingwood ventured to W Oval.

In fact, looking at this site:

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/bullldogs/allgames.html

We have played on ANZAC day in. 2004, 1990, 1987, 1983, 1981, 1970, 1966, 1964.

aker39
21-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I heard you this morning, and you did a good job.

But as someone who listens to a lot of talkback radio, I get sick and tired of the debate coming up every year. The radio stations just put it out there because they know there will be idiots from both camps ringing in putting up their stupid arguments for and against.

Doc26
21-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah Pie Man I heard your Woof plug as well. Was always going to be diffcult to win an argument on the matter with 2 Essendon guys in the chair. As for Andy Maher's opinion I couldn't really care less, wish he had stayed in Augusta.

Interesting that KB and Patrick Smith took an entirely different angle to it, stating that the ANZAC Day match should not be the exclusive domain of Essendon and Collingwood.

Ooh and as an aside there is at least one other Rohan on Woof ;)

The Pie Man
21-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I remember going to games on ANZAC day in the 70's and 80's. One vivid memory is actually playing Collingwood at Vic Park. I use to get pissed off that games had to start after 1pm so there was no reserves match at the same venue, so in the above example, Collingwood ventured to W Oval.

In fact, looking at this site:

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/bullldogs/allgames.html

We have played on ANZAC day in. 2004, 1990, 1987, 1983, 1981, 1970, 1966, 1964.

Great site! Cheers for that bornadog

The game I was referring to was 1983 at the G - I was 5 and I can't remember it, but I do remember reading about this game on WOOF earlier this year (I just can't remember the thread) though given the other years, it's clearly not an isolated occurence

R5 A
Richmond
Foots 10.3 12.3 16.5 18.8 116
Rich 0.3 8.8 13.11 17.12 114
M.C.G. 51,651 25-Apr-1983

The essence of the converstation I heard when I got int he car was 'well Essendon & Collingwood made this happen with the RSL, they were the ones that did it' which I felt implied it hadn't been done before - when it indeed had.

Didn't hurt to plug this great site aslo ;)

The Pie Man
21-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah Pie Man I heard your Woof plug as well. Was always going to be diffcult to win an argument on the matter with 2 Essendon guys in the chair. As for Andy Maher's opinion I couldn't really care less, wish he had stayed in Augusta.

Interesting that KB and Patrick Smith took an entirely different angle to it, stating that the ANZAC Day match should not be the exclusive domain of Essendon and Collingwood.

Ooh and as an aside there is at least one other Rohan on Woof ;)

And spelt with an H! Even better (not to offend any Rowan's out there)

bornadog
21-04-2010, 03:08 PM
R5 1983
Richmond
Foots 10.3 12.3 16.5 18.8 116
Rich 0.3 8.8 13.11 17.12 114
M.C.G. 51,651 25-Apr-1983

I went to that game, the first quarter was amazing, we kicked 10, and then Richmond came out and kicked 8. The game was played at a ferocious pace in the the first half, and that first quarter was one of the best I have ever seen. There was a discussion on WOOF in one of the threads but i can't remember which.

LostDoggy
21-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I went to that game, the first quarter was amazing, we kicked 10, and then Richmond came out and kicked 8. The game was played at a ferocious pace in the the first half, and that first quarter was one of the best I have ever seen. There was a discussion on WOOF in one of the threads but i can't remember which.

I was also there with my best friend who supported Richmond, and our Dads. We were 10 years old. I remember our amazing first quarter & that we only just won the game. What I remember most though is my friend & I crying during The Last Post when they played it before the game and showed footage on the big screen. Something I'll never forget.

Drunken Bum
23-04-2010, 05:31 PM

I was at that game, Jim Edmond had 5 or 6 at quarter time from memory, never realised it was Anzac day although it makes sense now i think about it cause was one of our few trips down from NSW to watch the footy, before my parents came to their senses and moved to Melb

craigsahibee
24-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I found the link to the original discussion but i'm not technically savvy enough to put it in here.

Go to the legends and larrikins post for TCD's interview with Jim Edmond.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I was at that game, Jim Edmond had 5 or 6 at quarter time from memory, never realised it was Anzac day although it makes sense now i think about it cause was one of our few trips down from NSW to watch the footy, before my parents came to their senses and moved to Melb

That's my memory as well. It was a cracking game and we were red hot in that first quarter. I'd just returned from 9 months in Europe and it was a real thrill to see how the team were playing.

The Coon Dog
24-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I found the link to the original discussion but i'm not technically savvy enough to put it in here.

Go to the legends and larrikins post for TCD's interview with Jim Edmonds.

Jim Edmond Interview (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3818)

LostDoggy
25-04-2010, 10:05 AM
For the record, I don't care Essendon & Collingwood have a monopoly on the day, just thought..

I do. It's a massive free kick for those 2 clubs. They exclusively share the gates of the most heavily promoted game on the closest thing to the National Holiday amidst a resurgence of interst in the ANZAC legend/tradition and the other clubs, including ours, are forced to contribute to it by being fixtured to play our games, less so this year, on days other than that day. The consequence is that it's impossible for clubs other than Essendon & Collingwood to market their games on that weekend. The real money made from games is from the attendance of non members. On that weekend, they all go to the Essendon-Collingwood match. Consequently, both those clubs make more profit out of that one game than we make out of a whole season's trading !

It's another big game for players at those 2 clubs, not earned because of their play but by the privilege of having that particular day to themselves. The atmosphere at Friday night's game was flat. This afternoon, it'll be electric.

It's the event of the year in a sport promoted around events. The AFL doesn't run an even competition, it runs a finance oriented fixture. The allocation of games, events and stadia all ensure that the few well supported clubs remain well supported and less well supported remain less well supported.

Sunday games against interstate clubs, twilight games, games interstate, having to sell 2 gaes a year, I can cop as the club can improve its position by performing better and it's character building but Anzac Day is beyond reach and it's the greatest prize of them all.

firstdogonthemoon
25-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I do. It's a massive free kick for those 2 clubs. They exclusively share the gates of the most heavily promoted game on the closest thing to the National Holiday amidst a resurgence of interst in the ANZAC legend/tradition and the other clubs, including ours, are forced to contribute to it by being fixtured to play our games, less so this year, on days other than that day. The consequence is that it's impossible for clubs other than Essendon & Collingwood to market their games on that weekend. The real money made from games is from the attendance of non members. On that weekend, they all go to the Essendon-Collingwood match. Consequently, both those clubs make more profit out of that one game than we make out of a whole season's trading !

It's another big game for players at those 2 clubs, not earned because of their play but by the privilege of having that particular day to themselves. The atmosphere at Friday night's game was flat. This afternoon, it'll be electric.

It's the event of the year in a sport promoted around events. The AFL doesn't run an even competition, it runs a finance oriented fixture. The allocation of games, events and stadia all ensure that the few well supported clubs remain well supported and less well supported remain less well supported.

Sunday games against interstate clubs, twilight games, games interstate, having to sell 2 gaes a year, I can cop as the club can improve its position by performing better and it's character building but Anzac Day is beyond reach and it's the greatest prize of them all.

I agree with all of this. What a thoughtful and articulate person you are.

comrade
25-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree with all of this. What a thoughtful and articulate person you are.

Yep, I'm with you FDOTM. Great post, D Mitchell.

mjp
25-04-2010, 11:20 AM
It is the sponsorship $ value of the game.

Every year, public holiday, single game (tv monopoly - LIVE broadcast)...it would be worth an extra - well, it would be worth a LOT - to a major sponsor to have this guarantee in their contract. It is basically like being able to guarantee a sponsor that you will appear in the grand-final every year.

bornadog
25-04-2010, 12:21 PM

There is also another factor. When young fans watch these teams at prime times on TV they become the future member base, and those clubs just keep getting bigger and bigger. Look at Collingwood's membership base, over 50,000. With the amount of exposure they get, its no wonder they have a big following.

LostDoggy
25-04-2010, 01:42 PM
First, thanks FDOTM and comrade. Second, I agree fully with both bornadog and mjp. Don't tell me that Essendon and Collingwood don't hawk the day around to potential recruits and sponsors. More galling is the perception that those clubs are responsible for the Anzac revival ! Brian Taylor said as much on the radio yesterday although he later denied it when a couple of callers pulled him up on it. I once read some fool, admittedly on bigfooty, post that when the troops played football in the Middle East, they only wore Essendon and Collingwood jumpers !