PDA

View Full Version : Situation not fair on Richmond outcast Jordan McMahon

The Coon Dog
22-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Mike Sheahan - Herald Sun - 22 April

SOMETHING has to give on the impasse between Richmond and Jordan McMahon.

McMahon is being humiliated, tied to a club that doesn't want him, growing more frustrated and despondent by the week.

He suffered the indignity of playing VFL reserves with Richmond's affiliate club, Coburg, at the weekend.

While he was returning from injury and Coburg was restricted to 12 of Richmond's listed players against Frankston, he is entitled to feel indignant, which, according to reports, he does.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/situation-not-fair-on-richmond-outcast-jordan-mcmahon/story-e6frf9ix-1225856610782)

Desipura
22-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Mike Sheahan - Herald Sun - 22 April

SOMETHING has to give on the impasse between Richmond and Jordan McMahon.

McMahon is being humiliated, tied to a club that doesn't want him, growing more frustrated and despondent by the week.

He suffered the indignity of playing VFL reserves with Richmond's affiliate club, Coburg, at the weekend.

While he was returning from injury and Coburg was restricted to 12 of Richmond's listed players against Frankston, he is entitled to feel indignant, which, according to reports, he does.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/situation-not-fair-on-richmond-outcast-jordan-mcmahon/story-e6frf9ix-1225856610782)

Im baffled why Hardwick did not trade him to the Saints and cut his losses. I love the write up in the AFL prospectus, if you go to Jordan McMahon, Fantasy Freako says "Id rather Callan Ward".

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Mc Mahon must be delighted his treatment by the Tigers continues to outstrip that by the Bulldogs

bornadog
22-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Mc Mahon must be delighted his treatment by the Tigers continues to outstrip that by the Bulldogs

Well both Jordan and nafin went for the extra money, forgetting the team thing and they are now receiving their just desserts.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2010, 09:29 AM
It's a shame that things never quite clicked for McMahon, and he never quite reached his potential.

aker39
22-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Richmond should be thankful for having Jordan on the list, his $350,000 salary is making it easier for them to make up the 92.5% of the salary cap.

comrade
22-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I'd be happy bludging in the VFL ressies and earning $300K.

Bulldog4life
22-04-2010, 12:24 PM
It's a shame that things never quite clicked for McMahon, and he never quite reached his potential.

Personally I couldn't care less. He gave our Club an unwarranted serve too as he left for what he thought were greener pastures. Shows the type of person he is.

G-Mo77
22-04-2010, 12:30 PM

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

I was really upset to see him go until his backhanded swipe in his press conference. Of course money would have been a huge factor and I don't fault him for taking the green but to go out in public and lash out at the club who helped get him that contract was really poor form.

Karma is a bitch Jordie!

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Personally I couldn't care less. He gave our Club an unwarranted serve too as he left for what he thought were greener pastures. Shows the type of person he is.

I think this is the crux for Dogs fans. We'd mostly wish him well, but this slap has left a pretty sour taste.

IMO his biggest problem is that he is mentally fragile as a player. That's not really meant to be a slur, but confidence is a massive thing in the big league and he drops his head too easily. It doesn't help that he's built like a 16 year old girl.

And what's with the moustache?

choconmientay
22-04-2010, 04:25 PM

Yes. You are right there. It all went down hill for him since he left us. Good luck to him, but we got Callen Ward so, we came out at the right end.

Remi Moses
22-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Who? Wonder if he was looked after at Richmond like he moaned about after2007!!

chef
22-04-2010, 04:48 PM

I love Karma:).

Scraggers
22-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I think this is the crux for Dogs fans. We'd mostly wish him well, but this slap has left a pretty sour taste.

IMO his biggest problem is that he is mentally fragile as a player. That's not really meant to be a slur, but confidence is a massive thing in the big league and he drops his head too easily. It doesn't help that he's built like a 16 year old girl.

That's so he doesn't look like a 16 year old girl

BulldogBelle
22-04-2010, 05:34 PM
The best thing about Jordie is Callan:D

For us.

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2010, 09:04 PM

To stop all the sixteen year old boys hitting on him?

edit: Oh crap, I didn't read all the posts. Scraggers beat me to it.

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 09:11 PM
To stop all the sixteen year old boys hitting on him?

edit: Oh crap, I didn't read all the posts. Scraggers beat me to it.

That's ok. That 'tasche needs all the bagging it gets.

FrediKanoute
22-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I have some sympathy for Jordy. Yes he left the Bulldogs. Yes he took a swipe on the way out. However he is clearly within Richmond's best 22 and way, way, way too good for VFL football. Sheahan has a point. If Jordy was not going to be part of Hardwick's plan's why not sit him down and say so? Why not orchestrate a trade to the Saints where I think he would fit quite well? Better than paying a guy £350k to rot in the ressies

Sedat
22-04-2010, 09:30 PM
McMahon is living proof that this game is 99% played between the ears. He was terrific for us in 2005-6 when his private life was settled, and his form deteriorated sharply in 2007 when his private life started pulling apart at the seams. I find it interesting that St Kilda were into him in the off-season - in hindsight he would have been a safer bet than Lovett to run the lines for them, and at 26 is still reaching his peak years. Clearly he has no future at Richmond but I wonder, if he can get his head right, that he might still have an AFL career in 2011.

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2010, 10:07 PM
That's ok. That 'tasche needs all the bagging it gets.

Well in that case:

Vote for Jordy
http://thewhitebull.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pedro.jpg

angelopetraglia
22-04-2010, 11:08 PM
McMahon is living proof that this game is 99% played between the ears. He was terrific for us in 2005-6 when his private life was settled, and his form deteriorated sharply in 2007 when his private life started pulling apart at the seams. I find it interesting that St Kilda were into him in the off-season - in hindsight he would have been a safer bet than Lovett to run the lines for them, and at 26 is still reaching his peak years. Clearly he has no future at Richmond but I wonder, if he can get his head right, that he might still have an AFL career in 2011.

You would think with 80 odd extra spots in the next two years there has never ever been a better time to be an AFL fringe player or be given a 2nd chance.

KT31
22-04-2010, 11:23 PM
You would think with 80 odd extra spots in the next two years there has never ever been a better time to be an AFL fringe player or be given a 2nd chance.

or in Jordies case a third.

Doc26
23-04-2010, 09:46 AM
I love the write up in the AFL prospectus, if you go to Jordan McMahon, Fantasy Freako says "Id rather Callan Ward".

Must've missed that by Freako. It's a gem.

Being disappointed for both McMahon and Brown with how their careers disintegrated after turning their backs on the Dogs is not an emotion I've experienced as yet.

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 10:30 AM
You know what, this is a bit out of left field, but what if he came back to the Dogs at bargain basement type prices (ie. sixth pick in the pre-season draft type thing)? Obviously there's a lot of water that has to go under the bridge for that to ever happen, and I, too think that he's a knob that shouldn't have bagged the club on the way out, but if he gets his head in the right space, apologises, knuckles down and works hard, he would be a direct replacement for Eagle (that Farren was supposed to be) in the next few years, and we aren't exactly flush at the moment for lightning runners through the middle with a decent kick. At 26, too, he would be just coming into his prime as an athlete, and we would get immediate value out of him for the next 2-3 years while our window is wide open. Thoughts?

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2010, 10:41 AM
You know what, this is a bit out of left field, but what if he came back to the Dogs at bargain basement type prices (ie. sixth pick in the pre-season draft type thing)? Obviously there's a lot of water that has to go under the bridge for that to ever happen, and I, too think that he's a knob that shouldn't have bagged the club on the way out, but if he gets his head in the right space, apologises, knuckles down and works hard, he would be a direct replacement for Eagle (that Farren was supposed to be) in the next few years, and we aren't exactly flush at the moment for lightning runners through the middle with a decent kick. At 26, too, he would be just coming into his prime as an athlete, and we would get immediate value out of him for the next 2-3 years while our window is wide open. Thoughts?

Why? He'd never get a game and we could be developing a kid with that list place.

Jordy will be tearing it up in the SANFL next year, if he can be bothered.

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Why? He'd never get a game and we could be developing a kid with that list place.

For the reasons highlighted.

I don't see that there is a like-for-like replacement for a gut-running mid that Eagle is on our current list.. Wood may well be the next best option, but his kicking isn't as deep as it should be yet. Howard and Tutt are the obvious kids in line, but they may not be ready for a couple of years, while Jordy would be ready to step right in. Maybe. If the stars align. Just a thought!

ps. I guess we could go down the mature age rookie path to find a runner, but Jordy may be further along the development curve than anyone in the VFL/SANFL anyway. The Saints wanted him for precisely the same reason this year...

mighty_west
23-04-2010, 11:16 AM
For the reasons highlighted.

I don't see that there is a like-for-like replacement for a gut-running mid that Eagle is on our current list.. Wood may well be the next best option, but his kicking isn't as deep as it should be yet. Howard and Tutt are the obvious kids in line, but they may not be ready for a couple of years, while Jordy would be ready to step right in. Maybe. If the stars align. Just a thought!

ps. I guess we could go down the mature age rookie path to find a runner, but Jordy may be further along the development curve than anyone in the VFL/SANFL anyway. The Saints wanted him for precisely the same reason this year...

What would the point in having a player who can definatly run, but continually turn the ball over? As Terry Wallace said "he looks good when he runs", unfortunatly for himself, he doesn't do much else, in regards to Eagleton, at least Eagleton tackles, is hard at it, has a body on him that wont be brushed aside. like what Jordy has, and he simply does not gut run anywhere near what Eagleton does.

If Jordy was playing decent footy, was at our club right now, or for the next 2 or 3 seasons, who's spot in the side would he take? If Harbrow moves to the Gold Coast, there is probably a spot there, but part of what makes Harbrow so good, is his attack, is hard at it, doesn't shirk a contest, all of the things Jordy aint!

Sedat
23-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't see that there is a like-for-like replacement for a gut-running mid that Eagle is.. Wood may well be the next best option, but his kicking isn't as deep as it should be yet. Howard and Tutt are the obvious kids in line, but they may not be ready for a couple of years, while Jordy would be ready to step right in. Maybe. If the stars align. Just a thought!
I reckon there are about a million planets that need to align for McMahon to have an AFL future beyond 2010 (let alone one with the Dogs), not the least of which is his attitude. Relevant to the Dogs, he would also have to re-build some serious bridges with key Dogs people for his shabby comments upon leaving the club. Having said that, players that leave their first club and then return to the club have been quite common in the last decade or so - Croad, McPhee, J Murphy, Salmon amongst others.

Based on his rapid development from 2004 to 2006, had he maintained that level of improvement there is little doubt that he would currently be a top 50 player in the competition - he certainly wasn't a turnover merchant during this period of his career. But he needs to get his head space right - it is all wrong at the moment and his career has suffered accordingly. That means working out whether or not he actually has that burning desire to succeed at this level - if he's content to live a life of relative leisure, the SANFL beckons as Sockeye rightly pointed out. It is hard to deny that he has some genuine talent, but he also has some pretty deep-seated flaws in his game that the last 3 seasons have done little to rectify.

Doc26
23-04-2010, 11:24 AM

The thinking in itself isn't that bad just not with McMahon. For where we're aiming to be will mean having a playing group that must legitimately be able to compete in high intensity finals footy. Pressure and McMahon don't go together. The risk going into a finals series with McMahon would be too great. The opposition would exploit this weakness in an instant.

Mofra
23-04-2010, 11:26 AM
It's a reasonable question to ask - if he provides value to the side then great, but a guy like Reid (rumours suggest his manager wasn't happy with his lack of gametime last year) or Wood would quite rightly be a little miffed if they are missing out on opportunities now and they are likely to continue into the future if someone who already walked out on the club starts sompeting with them for spots.

Not every fringe player will have the loyalty of someone like Addison (named as emergency 10 times before debut).

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Having said that, players that leave their first club and then return to the club have been quite common in the last decade or so - Croad, McPhee, J Murphy, Salmon amongst others.

That's what got me thinking (I would add Monty to that list)... you're right, it will probably never happen, but thought it would be fun to speculate. :)

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 11:29 AM
The thinking in itself isn't that bad just not with McMahon. For where we're aiming to be will mean having a playing group that must legitimately be able to compete in high intensity finals footy. Pressure and McMahon don't go together. The risk going into a finals serious with McMahon would be too great. The opposition would exploit this weakness in an instant.

Yep. My provisos for even considering it, as I posted, were: an attitude change, a full apology, and working his butt off. If -- and it's a big if -- he does these things, he could be a very damaging player, but the signs haven't been good for a while now.

AndrewP6
24-04-2010, 09:10 PM

I'd pass... not only for the appalling potshots he took at the club (publicly) after leaving, but for his softness and bad case of turnoveritis...

He could work on the latter two, but he'd still be a knob.

mjp
24-04-2010, 10:22 PM
In his defense, if he was such a bad kick / turnover merchant why was he trusted to kick-out on such a regular basis?

Playing him for Coburg 2's is not exactly going to motivate him to improve. Richmond should have known what they were getting with Jordy and play up to that side of his personality rather than crushing it - he needs to run, he needs to have a license to play with flair and he needs to be part of a supportive environment. He took potshots at the club on the way out because he didn't believe he was offered a fair market value contract by a club where he had spent (I think) 6 years. Last I checked 24 year olds did lots of immature things, and 24 yo footballers living life in a bubble of $250K salaries and tanning salons do even more immature things than most.

What Richmond are doing discredits them as much as anything - you would think they would be trying to make this relationship work so that he is at least worth something in this years trade period...but why get smart about things now? Why look forwards now? I mean, they are only last on the ladder, haven't won a game and are screaming out for talent.

aker39
24-04-2010, 10:42 PM
He took potshots at the club on the way out because he didn't believe he was offered a fair market value contract by a club where he had spent (I think) 6 years.

He was offered a fair contract during his last season and knocked it back. His form went backwards and at the end of the season was offered a reduced salary to reflect his reduced form.

Doc26
25-04-2010, 12:44 AM
In his defense, if he was such a bad kick / turnover merchant why was he trusted to kick-out on such a regular basis?

I wouldn't say McMahon was a bad kick, to the contrary, but I would say under the pressure of a contest, perceived or otherwise, he would often go to water which did often result in poor disposal. Unlike in the field of play, there is no 'contest' related pressure when having to kick the ball back in (granted a different type of pressure to spot up a target) and as such this environment often suited McMahon to effectively find a target.

mjp
25-04-2010, 10:10 AM
He was offered a fair contract during his last season and knocked it back. His form went backwards and at the end of the season was offered a reduced salary to reflect his reduced form.

So, dont you think that would be upsetting.

In June you are worth $x + y...by September - in a season where the entire team collapsed - you are only worth $x?

Sure what he said was disappointing, but to me it was understandable.

LostDoggy
25-04-2010, 10:42 AM
that photo makes the article so much better

EasternWest
25-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Prejudices against Jordan aside, it's had to imagine him not being good enough to be in their best 22.

Bulldog4life
25-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Last I checked 24 year olds did lots of immature things, and 24 yo footballers living life in a bubble of $250K salaries and tanning salons do even more immature things than most.

With McMahon's Indian heritage I doubt he'd need to go to a tanning salon.:)

Mofra
25-04-2010, 01:01 PM
With McMahon's Indian heritage I doubt he'd need to go to a tanning salon.:)
Then why do you think he was a Wallace favourite?

Bulldog4life
25-04-2010, 02:12 PM

His porn star moustache?

Desipura
25-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Wallace like Scott Clayton liked the quick outside runners. The following had at least one of the two critieria)
McMahon
Ray
Power (although not quick, certainly fits the other criteria)
Malcolm Lynch
Brad Murphy
just to name a few off the top of my head

azabob
25-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Wallace like Scott Clayton liked the quick outside runners. The following had at least one of the two critieria)
McMahon
Ray
Power (although not quick, certainly fits the other criteria)
Malcolm Lynch
Brad Murphy
just to name a few off the top of my head

You say it as its a bad thing.
Of our current list perhaps what we lack most is an outside runner.

Also what was the other criteria?

chef
25-04-2010, 05:33 PM
You say it as its a bad thing.
Of our current list perhaps what we lack most is an outside runner.

Also what was the other criteria?

The criteria was quick and outside.

azabob
25-04-2010, 05:36 PM
The criteria was quick and outside.

Ah ok, not too many slow outside players going around though.

mjp
25-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Wallace like Scott Clayton liked the quick outside runners.

I think Clayton likes guys who can kick and who can run. He figures (I guess) that once in the full time footy environment their attack on the footy will increase and they will still have those running/foot skills.

Sometimes it works out (Dal Santo fell to 13 in his draft and was labeled 'soft') and other times not. I guess Sammy Power was the classic 'NOT' but at the same time it was more his up and under kicking (Sockeye will tell you he was once called the scalpel by Kevin Sheahan he was such a good kick) than his softness.

aker39
25-04-2010, 08:59 PM
So, dont you think that would be upsetting.

Yes, I'd be very upset with myself that I didn't sign the larger contract earlier in the year.

Desipura
25-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I think Clayton likes guys who can kick and who can run.
Yes I remember reading about their recruiting strategy, yet McMahon and Power were not what you would call elite kicks.

Topdog
26-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Yes I remember reading about their recruiting strategy, yet McMahon and Power were not what you would call elite kicks.

When they were juniors?

GVGjr
26-04-2010, 08:34 AM

When they were juniors?

I thought they were both well above average kicks as juniors/youngsters but in the case of Power he struggled more with the tempo of the game and McMahon with his concentration and decision making more than a lack of kicking skills. They might never have been elite but they were certainly well above average.

In the TAC Power had plenty of time to make his decisions and his kick count and he built up quite a reputation for his kicking skills. With the transition into the senior side he just didn't have the time and racked up more errors than he should have.

For a couple of seasons McMahon used the ball very well but in the last season or so with the Dogs he would turn the ball over with the most ridiculous decisions even when he was under no pressure.

McMahon is too good of a footballer not to be in a senior side somewhere in the competition but I don't think football has been as important to him as it probably needs to be for an AFL player.

Desipura
27-04-2010, 08:36 AM
I thought they were both well above average kicks as juniors/youngsters but in the case of Power he struggled more with the tempo of the game and McMahon with his concentration and decision making more than a lack of kicking skills. They might never have been elite but they were certainly well above average.

Power was an effective long left kick however his short passing had a tendency to float.
Agree on McMahon's concentration and decision making.

Jasper
27-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I have vivid recollections of Sam Power being described in his profile as a "surgeon with the ball".

Kevin Bartlett was on air just after that draft saying how ridiculous that statement was for a kid coming out of the U/18 competition. What a fine judge he is (except when it comes to Ryan Griffen Rising Star vote that is)..........

Dancin' Douggy
27-04-2010, 12:01 PM
That's so he doesn't look like a 16 year old girl

Ever been to Malta?

Desipura
27-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I have vivid recollections of Sam Power being described in his profile as a "surgeon with the ball".

Kevin Bartlett was on air just after that draft saying how ridiculous that statement was for a kid coming out of the U/18 competition. What a fine judge he is (except when it comes to Ryan Griffen Rising Star vote that is)..........

Shifter also said Sedat Sir was one of the most committed footballers he had seen as he was commuting from a fair way from home to get to training. Reading between the lines, he made no mention of how good he was or wasn't.

Sedat
27-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Shifter also said Sedat Sir was one of the most committed footballers he had seen as he was commuting from a fair way from home to get to training.
If you listen to Shifter, there are 80 potential no.1 draft picks every year. When you're employed by the AFL, objectivity goes out the window.

LostDoggy
27-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I think Jordy is finnished as a AFL Footballer, Think he has too many mental demons to play well at AFL level which is a shame as i thought he was a very servicable footballer when with the Dogs