PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos; a danger game?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-06-2007, 07:25 PM
IMO The Kangaroos game is one of danger.

In this day and age, there's no easy game, but The Kangaroos - regardless of ladder positions - always seem to be able to overwork us. It's never an easy match, ala last year.

This, combined with the fact that they've lost a few in the past three weeks, plus Archer's 300th, Wells back, and Cross/Griffen/Murphy and possibly Eagleton suspended too, I think looms as a real danger game.

I don't think we play the MCG particuarly well either.

I'm perhaps a pessimist, but I just think this game will be harder than most might think.

What do we need to bring in to cover for the absences? Grant/Robbins for some experience, versatility and goal kicking power? Extra height in Power/Everitt?

Thoughts on it all?

LostDoggy
17-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Very much a danger game. Watts killed Johnno last season and I get the feeling if Johnno doesn't fire we could be in trouble. The Roos have a tall outfit and can really test us.

LostDoggy
17-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Very much a danger game. Watts killed Johnno last season and I get the feeling if Johnno doesn't fire we could be in trouble. The Roos have a tall outfit and can really test us.

Johnson will lose to any tall player if the ball isn't delivered properly to him. I hope they play Watt again on Johnson because he will kill him for pace, if we don't kick it to Watt like 2006.
We lost the North game last year cos we couldn't hit the side of a barn. If we play the same we will lose again.
We have it alll over them in the midfield even without Cross and Griffen.

BulldogBelle
17-06-2007, 08:57 PM
This is looming as a danger game for us. We tend to have shoot out games against North but this might not necessarily be so as the game is at the G and weather will determine what type of game is played by both teams.

Another factor is Glen Archer it will be his 300th game and they will definitely be trying their hardest to get over the line in this game and give him a memorable 300th.

We just have to be all switched on from the bounce and midfield dominance is crucial for us right from the get go.

dog town
17-06-2007, 09:49 PM
I reckon they would be saying the same thing. To say that a game against a side that has just had a 7 game streak broken is a danger game is an understatement. Games do not come much bigger to be honest.

bornadog
18-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Another factor is Glen Archer it will be his 300th game and they will definitely be trying their hardest to get over the line in this game and give him a memorable 300th.

This is the only factor that I am worried about and I don't know how much it can influence a game. We have plenty of goal kicking power, but we need to stop their midfield from feeding their forwards. They will no doubt be tagging alot of our midfield, like Cooney, West and they are going to have to shake the tag, especially Cooney. I think if Murphy doesn't play Grant will be coming in, however, if murphy does play, Grant will still come in but who is dropped I have to think about.

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2007, 02:42 PM
TBB - agree with a lot of what you say

The big thing last year was our inability to play with any intensity against the Roos, when we did for a 15 minute burst we got within striking distance only to see the game slip from our grasp.

North will be as motivated as they have ever been - Archer is a legend of their club, and the players will deservedly be ready to play for him

Mantis
18-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Its a game we simply have to win if we are to make the finals. We are a much better team than the Kangaroos, but we must come to play. The Kangaroos will be determined to win this one for one of there favourite son's in Archer. The Kangaroos by all reckoning have overachieved this year, but they do have some quality players. There ruckman in McIntosh is a very good player, he does his best work around the ground. They have a very strong midfield group and some good small forwards. They are reliant on there small forwards to kick a winning score, the keys being Harvey, Grant and Jones. Keep these 3 in check and you go along way to defeating them. If we bring our 'A' game we will have no trouble with this one, but if we are off our game we may struggle.

Go_Dogs
18-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Kangaroos have a lot of underrated runners and inside players such as Harris, Swallow and a few others, as well as their obvious match winners in Harvey, Grant and Wells. Will be a good test for us, especially given the form the Roos have been in, and the fact that it'll most likely be Archer's 300th. I rated us a fair way ahead of the Kangaroos at the start of the season, and I'd like to think if we play our best, I'll be proven right.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Morris to play on Grant?
Seems logical, he's a dangerous player capable of kicking 4 or 5.

If we bring our A game, we'll win. No question.

It's just the inconsistency of this side that has bells ringing. I think we struggle for some reason to play well at the MCG too. We seem to either play pretty good Footy, or pretty poor Footy there.

Granty coming back certainly helps, his experience at either end is very valuable, although Murphy gone hurts. He links up very well for us, provides that option 50-70m out that at times we lack and struggle with.

I would be inclined to bring Robbins in for Eagleton, and allow Harbrow & Lynch to roam around half forward/wing. Robbins seems to play well against The Kangaroos from memory.

It's a big game, I hope we turn up, because to be a Top 4 side then really, we need to win these types of games, including the following two.

dog town
18-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Morris to play on Grant?

It's just the inconsistency of this side that has bells ringing. I think we struggle for some reason to play well at the MCG too. We seem to either play pretty good Footy, or pretty poor Footy there.

Granty coming back certainly helps, his experience at either end is very valuable, although Murphy gone hurts. He links up very well for us, provides that option 50-70m out that at times we lack and struggle with.

I would be inclined to bring Robbins in for Eagleton, and allow Harbrow & Lynch to roam around half forward/wing. Robbins seems to play well against The Kangaroos from memory.

It's a big game, I hope we turn up, because to be a Top 4 side then really, we need to win these types of games, including the following two. Jones is their best forward and I think Morris as our best stopper is an ideal match up. Can match him on the ground and also in the air. Harris will probably get Edwards who plays genuine FF although Edwards is the type that has troubled Harris in the past. Eade might go with one of the other talls and again allow Harris to play a fairly loose sort of role especially as the roos have been reallypmping the ball in long. They might find Harris dropping off his man a bit of a thorn in the side of the new game plan they have developed.

Brent Harvey is probably in career best form which is a worry. We dont have alot of guys to go with quick opposition mids. Do we go head to head or do we give someone like Addison or Boyd a job on him? You would think he would be a bit sharp for Boyd but he did the job on Kerr on an even bigger ground so I think Boydy is just one of those guys who just finds a way.

Always interesting to see who Brady Rawlings gets. My tip would be West or Cooney which is a worry. Having a few out makes us a bit easier to target with taggers. I think Aker has been better than most give him credit for this year but if we ever needed him to play a larger role than a 2 goal half forward it is now with 3 of our very best runners out. We really need plenty out of every running player to win this game.

Johnson has a few potential match ups. Rawlings used to take him but not so much since he went forward. Firrito and Watt would be the main chances with Pratt a smokey. Watt did the job last year but Firrito has been ver good this season. Dont be surprised to see him spend a bit more time up the ground with maybe a tagged Cooney and guys like Darcy and Hahn spending a fair bit of time deep. Petrie will play on Darcy which is a match up they would like. Brown is the other option they have for Darcy. I agree with TBB that Robbins must be a chance to return if only to release another runner into the midfield. Kicked 4 against them last year I think.

Pretty good in the centre square are the roos. Harris is one of the best clearance players in the comp and Simpson gets in third man up around the ground alot. Game will be won and lost in the midfield. Always fancy our pace over the roos if we can get our game going but they will be jumping out of their skins to shut us down. We ned to be really up for a fight. Its a big ground and I feel we can run them into the ground but we need to be switched on.

alwaysadog
18-06-2007, 08:45 PM
No doubt about the importance of this week's game.

If we win it a lot of pressure comes off and we can seriously challenge for a higher ladder position, lose and we are struggling to make the grade. These aren't the games we usually do well in and a more determined and fired up opponent we couldn't find.

On the other hand we've won two games on the road and started to show glimpses of better form. It will be a battle and I suspect that the team that wants it the most will win. That's a challenge for us to meet.

Bulldog1954
18-06-2007, 09:20 PM
It is a must win game, I don't see them as a side that we particularly have problems with (ala St Kilda), they did beat us last year but we beat them when we were crap like they did to us last year. The next three weeks are all against sides who are 7-5 and IMO are sides we should be better then

Bulldog Revolution
19-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Morris to play on Grant?

It's a big game, I hope we turn up, because to be a Top 4 side then really, we need to win these types of games, including the following two.

I agree with Mantis and Alwaysadog - MUST WIN GAME

I like Morris on Grant, who normally plays on Jones, could Hargraves match up with him, or even Gilbee?

They may look to load up with Leigh Brown etc going forward

I'd also lean towards Robbins -

If we do bring our A game I dont think they can run with us for 4 quarters but they have been underrated a lot over the past decade and found ways to win

Mofra
23-06-2007, 01:46 PM
The Kangas should go into the game as favourites, which is great because in recent history between the two clubs, the favourites loses.

Being Archer's 300th will make it tough, whilst McIntosh is the form ruckman of the comp so if we can at least match them for clearances we will be doing well (noting the absence of Cross in the centre).

We really should load up or HB line with runners - North don't seem to rely on a couple of players to kick a winning score, so dragging even one B-grader away from the sticks will help a little. West was well-held last time (Bradie Rawlings from memory?) so will need a big effort from our midfield group, probably also covering for Eagle as well.

Lynch, Harbrow, Higgins & Aker will be keys for us. They can crumb off Darcy & Grant in the forward line, and if they provide enough lock-down pressure will ease the workload on our midfielders at the stoppages, helping to cover Cross & Eagle.

LostDoggy
23-06-2007, 10:35 PM
It is a must win game, I don't see them as a side that we particularly have problems with (ala St Kilda), they did beat us last year but we beat them when we were crap like they did to us last year. The next three weeks are all against sides who are 7-5 and IMO are sides we should be better then

Thats the way I see it. Regardless of Archer's milestone, this is exactly the type of game we cannot afford to lose. I really think our finals chances really rest on the outcome of this game otherwise we will just be trying to sneak into the top 8 for the balance of the season.