C: Nathan Eagleton, Daniel Cross, Daniel Giansiracusa
HF: Robert Murphy, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Shaun Higgins
Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen
I/C: Dylan Addison, Jason Akermanis, Andrejs Everitt, Jordan Roughead
Emg: Brodie Moles, Josh Hill, Easton Wood

In: Akermanis, Johnson, Grant, Roughead
Out: Matthew Boyd (hand), Josh Hill, Will Minson, Brodie Moles

New: Jordan Roughead (North Ballarat Rebels)

Adelaide

B: Graham Johncock, Ben Rutten, Chris Schmidt
HB: Simon Goodwin, Phil Davis, Michael Doughty
C: Myke Cook, Patrick Dangerfield, Andrew McLeod
HF: Chris Knights, Brett Burton, Bernie Vince
F: Jared Petrenko, Kurt Tippett, Jason Porplyzia
Foll: Ivan Maric, Scott Thompson, Brent Reilly
I/C: Nathan van Berlo, Tyson Edwards, Richard Douglas, Ricky Henderson
Emg: Jonathon Griffin, Scott Stevens, Matthew Jaensch

In: van Berlo, Henderson
Out: David Mackay (hamstring), Taylor Walker

soupman
22-04-2010, 06:11 PM
We have 7 midfielders named, with Johnson, Akermanis, Gilbee and Everitt all possibilities as part timers. I hope thats enough run, especially since Akermanis and Johnson are unlikely to have the fitness to spent very long in there.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Exciting day for Roughead

comrade
22-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Mitch Hahn is very lucky.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 06:17 PM

I agree, he will need to do something this week.

Grant gets a chance, he needs to grab it with both hands and really take a hold on a position in our forward line.

G-Mo77
22-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Gee I'm nervous about this game. I'm not feeling confident about it at all!

G-Mo77
22-04-2010, 06:18 PM
We have 7 midfielders named, with Johnson, Akermanis, Gilbee and Everitt all possibilities as part timers. I hope thats enough run, especially since Akermanis and Johnson are unlikely to have the fitness to spent very long in there.

Which is why I thought they may have persisted with Moles for this week.

Sockeye Salmon
22-04-2010, 06:21 PM
They're going to run our pants off.

They drop Walker for another runner, we bring in 3 forwards for a forward and 2 midfielders.

I suppose we could always match up Aker and Johnno against Edwards and Goodwin and they can all discuss continence pads together.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Great to see Grant get another opportunity, and hopefully he goes well, ditto for Roughead.

Henderson in for his first game, and Van Berlo first game back, with the Crows missing one of their better performed players in McKay.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 06:22 PM

They drop Walker for another runner, we bring in 3 forwards for a forward and 2 midfielders.

I suppose we could always match up Aker and Johnno against Edwards and Goodwin and they can all discuss continence pads together.

They also have 5 players over 30

Go_Dogs
22-04-2010, 06:23 PM

They drop Walker for another runner, we bring in 3 forwards for a forward and 2 midfielders

I'd say the swap was more likely, Van Berlo for McKay (runners), Walker for Henderson (talls).

G-Mo77
22-04-2010, 06:31 PM
They also have 5 players over 30

So do we.....

bornadog
22-04-2010, 06:32 PM
So do we.....

thats why I said also;)

G-Mo77
22-04-2010, 06:52 PM
thats why I said also;)

OK I thought you meant it was a fault in their team. My bad. :o

Sedat
22-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Echo the thoughts of others in relation to robbing our midfield run. Not overly happy with the selection of the team - I just hope that our overall class and aerial strength around the ground will be enough to see us prevail.

We do have 3 mid sized running players listed as emergencies - might be a late change?

chef
22-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Yep, I'm worried about that too.

Scorlibo
22-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Robert Murphy is much luckier. Was WOG last week easily.

Mantis
22-04-2010, 07:37 PM

Murf has way more credits than Hahn.

Hahn wouldn't want another poor month of footy.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm worried about our inside midfield depth, as in Cross is arguably our only "Sole" inside mid, I know otheres play a combination of both but Boyd's a big out. Addison may have to play this role, can Hahn pinch hit in this role also with Grant covering his forward post?

Inside: Cross
Inside/Outside: Cooney, Griffen, Higgins
Outside: Gilbee, Giansiracusa, Akermanis, Johnson
Waaaaaayyyyy Outside: Eagleton

Late changs Hahn out, Wood In.

BulldogBelle
22-04-2010, 07:52 PM
That NAB cup extended bench really came in handy

So to reply the stevw9's post about our midfield....I suppose we have the following players who can play there:

Inside: Cross
Inside/Outside: Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Hahn (in very short bursts)
Outside: Gilbee, Giansiracusa, Akermanis, Johnson, Everitt, Addison (perhaps)
Waaaaaayyyyy Outside: Eagleton

Scorlibo
22-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Murf has way more credits than Hahn.

Hahn wouldn't want another poor month of footy.

Hahn was one of our best against the Tigers, Murph was one of our best against the Pies, and they were both shocking last week against the Lions. I agree that from past years, Murph has more credits in the bank, and he is less likely to be dropped because of that, but that doesn't mean that he is playing any better than Mitch, who seems to cop enough criticism for the both of them put together.

Hot_Doggies
22-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Great to see Grant get another crack. Needs to be given at least 3 weeks to build confidence.

comrade
22-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Hahn was one of our best against the Tigers, Murph was one of our best against the Pies, and they were both shocking last week against the Lions. I agree that from past years, Murph has more credits in the bank, and he is less likely to be dropped because of that, but that doesn't mean that he is playing any better than Mitch, who seems to cop enough criticism for the both of them put together.

When Bobby plays well, we usually win. When we win, Mitch usually plays well.

That's the difference.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Surely guys the crows have nothing to bring to the table this week. We should have an easy 12 goal win with all the talent we have. It's a win win for all, Minson gets a lot more game time, Roughy gets a taste, Grant will put the acid on Mitch, Eagle/Johnson get same good game time. To me the back line still looks good and I cant see the crows hurting us much down their.

PS. all the bad games surly our behind us now.

comrade
22-04-2010, 08:41 PM

I'll be surly if they're not! :D

Bulldog4life
22-04-2010, 09:22 PM

With Johhno and Grant in this week I wouldn't mind seeing Mitch Hahn pinch hitting more in the centre square.

Mantis
22-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Surely guys the crows have nothing to bring to the table this week. We should have an easy 12 goal win with all the talent we have. It's a win win for all, Minson gets a lot more game time, Roughy gets a taste, Grant will put the acid on Mitch, Eagle/Johnson get same good game time. To me the back line still looks good and I cant see the crows hurting us much down their.

It looked good last week (and performed admirably), but if we give up 70+ I50's again we will be up against it. Our mids and forwards need to lift their game.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Maybe Everitt will spend more time in the midfield. Agree with others that our lack of mids are a real worry. I am suprised Moles was dropped, despite his bad form. I'd of kept him in to send Hahn back to the VFL.

It'll be an interesting game, hopefully Aker can provide something in the midfield too.

jazzadogs
22-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Maybe Everitt will spend more time in the midfield. Agree with others that our lack of mids are a real worry. I am suprised Moles was dropped, despite his bad form. I'd of kept him in to send Hahn back to the VFL.

It'll be an interesting game, hopefully Aker can provide something in the midfield too.
+ 1 re: Hahn and Moles.

I knew it wasn't going to happen though.

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd say the swap was more likely, Van Berlo for McKay (runners), Walker for Henderson (talls).

Apparently Henderson has got some fast wheels on him too. It looks like they want to expose us for speed and it seems like a fair idea.

This should be pencilled in for a win but given our history of tight games I am feeling the same anxiety reflected on here. Worse, if we were to lose to them we would instantly take over their mantle as "biggest story for the wrong reasons" and the pressure will really build on the group with the Saints to come the following week.

Might throw $20 on the Crows ($7 to win) to jinx them/soften the blow if it goes pear shaped

comrade
22-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Might throw $20 on the Crows ($7 to win) to jinx them/soften the blow if it goes pear shaped

I feel dirty, but I had the same thought.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2010, 10:28 PM

I think you are being very harsh on Bobby and/or very tolerant with Mitch.

Bobby was very good against Collingwood, good against the Hawks and Tigers and very poor against the Lions.

Mitch was decent against the Pies, very good against Richmond, poor against the Hawks and very poor against the Lions.

I just don't get how you have any doubts about whether Bobby is 'playing any better than Mitch'. Surely you don't think players should be dropped purely on their last game?

I have long had the belief that Mitch's value is overrated. Sure he has great tenacity and applies wonderful defensive pressure when the ball is in his immediate area but what is the point of having such great defensive attributes when you greatly struggle to get the where the ball is? The modern game is a killer for him and he seems to live off monthly goal fests against crap sides.

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I feel dirty, but I had the same thought.

Ha ha. Yeah in reality I couldn't do it. I couldn't even do it with my footy tips back when we were rubbish in the games we had no chance of winning.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I also have issues with the team selection. Good to see Grant get a chance but we are really struggling for running depth and having him ahead of Moles seems very confusing. If we are going to play Grant, I would have liked it to be in place of Hahn.

I know we are limited in our selection due to injuries but it seems to me that the MC are picking the best 22 ahead of the best 22 to run out there at the moment. That being said, I do understand that there is little point in playing runners purely for playing runners sake. If they stink it up and only warrant say 60% TOG, they can also end up placing more pressure on our running team than someone like Hahn who can take up 75-80% TOG.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Good to see Roughy and Grant get a game. I think Wood might be a late inclusion, I hope he is because I think we need some more run.

I hope we give Roughy and Grant more then one game to get some confidence in them (if they go alright that is) I think Hahn is lucky and Murphy will step up this week.

Scorlibo
23-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I think you are being very harsh on Bobby and/or very tolerant with Mitch.

Bobby was very good against Collingwood, good against the Hawks and Tigers and very poor against the Lions.

Mitch was decent against the Pies, very good against Richmond, poor against the Hawks and very poor against the Lions.

I just don't get how you have any doubts about whether Bobby is 'playing any better than Mitch'. Surely you don't think players should be dropped purely on their last game?

I have long had the belief that Mitch's value is overrated. Sure he has great tenacity and applies wonderful defensive pressure when the ball is in his immediate area but what is the point of having such great defensive attributes when you greatly struggle to get the where the ball is? The modern game is a killer for him and he seems to live off monthly goal fests against crap sides.

I think we have different views of their past month. To rate them out of ten:

Hahn: G1: 5, G2: 8.5, G3: 5, G4: 2.
Murphy: G1: 9, G2: 7, G3: 6, G4: 1.

Hahn: 20.5
Murphy: 23

And yet all the heat is on Hahn? He should definitely cop some heat, but Murphy hasn't been much better, and there's no heat on him. Plus his performances are just getting worse and worse. But then Murphy is just one example. Everitt is another who should be in the same gun as Hahn, he hasn't been playing well enough to hold his spot over the last month.

Doc26
23-04-2010, 12:31 AM
I also have issues with the team selection. Good to see Grant get a chance but we are really struggling for running depth and having him ahead of Moles seems very confusing. If we are going to play Grant, I would have liked it to be in place of Hahn.

I know we are limited in our selection due to injuries but it seems to me that the MC are picking the best 22 ahead of the best 22 to run out there at the moment. That being said, I do understand that there is little point in playing runners purely for playing runners sake. If they stink it up and only warrant say 60% TOG, they can also end up placing more pressure on our running team than someone like Hahn who can take up 75-80% TOG.

Agree Rocco.

Granted Murph was terrible last week (along with Mitch) I can't see a legitmate comparison in poor performances between Murph's and Mitch's particularly when looking at their probable value moving forward. And if I was the opposition MC I know who I would be more concerned about causing the most damage and it's not Mitch.

Murph certainly does have more than enough credit in the bank this year and remains a key cog in our wheel but Mitch's Use By has to be up. Mitch now gets another opportunity to flat track it against a depleted and struggling Crows line up and mask an obvious deficiency of ours which has all probability of being exposed again the following week against the Saints defence.

Josh at least does have youth on his side, with a bit more upside on offer now than Mitch. Yes he was poor last week but can keep pace with the game and does offer up another marking target.

With Boydy, Cal and Liam unavailable midfield options the MC decide to bring in 3 forward options and expense with Moles, who along with Will became the midfield scapegoats for last week after average games. The decision to drop Moles is a bit baffling to me. The Crows would've offered an opportunity for him to gain some more senior experience under slightly reduced intensity. Does seem like our Ins and Outs are being driven too much by who holds the seniority.

With that said it is pleasing to see Roughy and Grant get an opportunity this week although unfortunately is at the expense of youth again. Grant needs to string a number of strong performances together at Willi with his selection this week premature on a number of grounds. For his and the Club's sake I really hope he stands up and doesn't struggle on the bigger stage again. Mitch should've been the one to make way for Aker/Johnno this week.

Would've preferred to see:
In Aker, Johnno, Roughead
Out Hahn, Boyd (Inj), Minson

boydogs
23-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Agree with others that our lack of mids are a real worry. I am suprised Moles was dropped, despite his bad form. I'd of kept him in to send Hahn back to the VFL.

+ 1 re: Hahn and Moles.

The decision to drop Moles is a bit baffling to me.

Agreed - it will be interesting to watch how we go about things, to the untrained eye it looks like we are just attaching springs to our forward 50

ReLoad
23-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Ok, so what to watch for tonight:

Johnson is going to play on the wing and will rest in the forward pocket, Johnno still has an awesome motor and his endurance is first class, the question is, how far underdone is he?

Hahn will play 1/2 a match on the ball, he will act as a midfielder when the ball is in our forward half of the ground, however will not be used at centre square ball ups, unless we cop another injury or for rotational reasons.

Adelaide are planning to burst this game wide open buy running in numbers directly down the centre corridor where we have maybe 1 or 2 guys that can actively run at top speed and tackle. (since were missing our two best at that boydy and picks)

So targets to aim for, and if they happen we will win:

Hahn to get 12+ possessions including 5 Tackles.
Johnson to get 20 possessions including 8 marks on the wing.

BBBBH will play out of the square.
Grant taking over from Josh Hills role/floating forward 50. Although i would be please if he pushed up further and played CHF.

The reverse if the following happens we will lose:

Harbrow is totally nullified, we will not have enough run out of the back half and will get choked, AKA brisbane last week.
we do not convert goal scoring/F50 opportunities, the crows love a low scoring boredom fest, they cannot score quickly, so we put on enough scoreboard pressure they are toast and Neil Craig is down at Centrelink.

Anyways this game is going to be close, and certainly provides some interesting tactical byplays.

Again the collective brains trust of the Doug Hawkins Wing coaches box are all over this match.

Mantis
23-04-2010, 07:31 AM
I think we have different views of their past month. To rate them out of ten:

Hahn: G1: 5, G2: 8.5, G3: 5, G4: 2.
Murphy: G1: 9, G2: 7, G3: 6, G4: 1.

Hahn: 20.5
Murphy: 23

And yet all the heat is on Hahn? He should definitely cop some heat, but Murphy hasn't been much better, and there's no heat on him. Plus his performances are just getting worse and worse. But then Murphy is just one example. Everitt is another who should be in the same gun as Hahn, he hasn't been playing well enough to hold his spot over the last month.

So Hahn has played just one reasonable game which was against the worst team in the competition, surely that says something?

samr
23-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Great to see Grant get another crack and Roughy in. With Everitt also in, our dirth of talented talls appears to be over. Hopefully they can both show something and causes selection headaches all year!

Mofra
23-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure the lack of runners puts us in dire consequences - we can re-jig the rotations to include Aker & Johnno in the midfield, give Gia a little more midfield time, and run Everitt on the wing at times to cover the loss of Moles & Boyd.
Instead of resting Griff & Cooney, they can rest on the bench for a slightly shorter period.

Not ideal but it can be done.

stefoid
23-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Good pickup that Grant and Hill could play similar roles.

bornadog
23-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Good pickup that Grant and Hill could play similar roles.

Except Grant is 6cm taller

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 11:00 AM
It will be interesting to see how we go at stoppages. If I recall properly we were beaten in this area last week with Boyd in the team.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Except Grant is 6cm taller

And couldn't run out of sight in a London fog.

I expect Grant is going to be used in very short spurts.

Sedat
23-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Is that still the case? I thought his aerobic fitness base significantly improved between seasons after having a full uninterrputed preseason - it was certainly very poor in 2009 and prevented him from being able to run games out.

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 11:50 AM

I expect Grant is going to be used in very short spurts.

Which is why he HAS to play out of the goalsquare, one would think? His biggest assets are his sticky hands and pace on the lead, no point doing it two kicks from goal. Bazza has far more tactical nous to play higher up and be a hit up CHF, so probably should play the higher link-man role. Bazz can kick goals from outside the 50 too, so playing him further out wouldn't be as much of an issue as Grant (with HIS kicking).

Mofra
23-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Is that still the case? I thought his aerobic fitness base significantly improved between seasons after having a full uninterrputed preseason - it was certainly very poor in 2009 and prevented him from being able to run games out.
His NAB Cup game saw him leading, then doubling back & running/leading again if his first lead was ignored. I never saw him do that at Willy in 09; I wonder if the Willy-watchers (nothing suss!) can confirm he seems to run more thus far this season?