PDA

View Full Version : Round 5 games

comrade
24-04-2010, 07:46 PM
It's been years since I've said this but Melbourne look good. Fast, clean ball movement and an open forward line with mid-sized forwards who are strong overhead.

It reminds me of the Bulldogs 3 years ago.

chef
24-04-2010, 08:00 PM
It's been years since I've said this but Melbourne look good. Fast, clean ball movement and an open forward line with mid-sized forwards who are strong overhead.

It reminds me of the Bulldogs 3 years ago.

I thought the same thing.

comrade
24-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Melbourne are belting the Lions doing exactly what we would have hoped to do last week; breaking the lines and running through the zone at will. It's enjoyable to watch.

We certainly can't take the Dees for granted in a few weeks time.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Brisbane doesn't know what hit them. Melbourne are an exciting team to watch. After an anticipated tough game against the Saints the speedy Demons won't be easy.

aker39
24-04-2010, 09:26 PM
The power are playing very well against the saints. Putting a heap of pressure on them. They are just not taking their chances. The saints have only taken 1 mark inside 50

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Strangely im feeling quietly confident about next week.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 10:24 PM
They look a different unit without the big man up forward.

aker39
24-04-2010, 10:28 PM
They look a different unit without the big man up forward.

And the other big man is a spud. Lake will tear him a good one next week.

comrade
24-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm as worried about the Demons as I am about the Saints.

macca
25-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Power deserved to win, as they were the dominate team all night, just couldn't kick accurately. Rodan was BOG, his work rate was sensational; always seemed to be in the stoppages, and pushing ball fwd.

Schultz could be anything. He reads the ball well, just can't seem to get the ball cleanly, and his kicking needs to improve.

Koschiz, he looks a shadow of his former self.

Remi Moses
25-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Interesting stat that Brisbane concede the most goals in the centre corridor.It was a tactic employed often tonight,good to see The Demons performing well.I'll be glad to be proven wrong about Bailey!! Folks bring your sandbags for Friday night massive flood forecasted.

Remi Moses
25-04-2010, 03:14 AM
And the other big man is a spud. Lake will tear him a good one next week.

Gotta keep a count on how many times they quote "Saints Footy"!Has to be the wankiest cringeworthy slogan ever invented:rolleyes:

BulldogBelle
25-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Gotta keep a count on how many times they quote "Saints Footy"!Has to be the wankiest cringeworthy slogan ever invented:rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more, and the tv add for it is so dull. Absolutely no personality at the saints.

What is everyone's thoughts on today's game? You have the feeling the pies really shouldn't lose this, and I reckon if there's another ZAHARAKIS!!! my left field theory on the AFL being completely pre-scripted will be proven true. :p

In all seriousness, I just hope this game is another classic finish. (and that Didak finally gets pinned for diving)

LostDoggy
25-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Not enjoying this game..

Collingwood belting another side just makes me cringe. Cant stand watching the 3 'D' show ponys (Didak, Davis, "Daisy").

Hotdog60
25-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Not enjoying this game..

Collingwood belting another side just makes me cringe. Cant stand watching the 3 'D' show ponys (Didak, Davis, "Daisy").

I've already turned it off, the panning back to the fans in B&W was more that I could stand.

Remi Moses
25-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Just a quick reminder to the Channel 7 research dept,pretty certain Essendon's lead of 39 pts isn't an Anzac Day record! We lead the Tiges by 10 goals in 1983.

Footnote. Anzac day did exist before 1995:rolleyes:

chef
25-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Not enjoying this game..

Me neither, the best two Vic sides of the previous season should get this game.

ledge
25-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Should be the gf replay in my opinion, that way its earned.

mjp
25-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Me neither, the best two Vic sides of the previous season should get this game.

Ummm...why? Pretty sure all states contribute to the armed forces.

ANZAC Day = Grand Final replay.

chef
25-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Because it's played in Victoria and you are not going to get a huge crowd with an interstate side playing in it IMO.

What happens if two interstate sides play off in the GF?

mjp
25-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Because it's played in Victoria and you are not going to get a huge crowd with an interstate side playing in it IMO.

What happens if two interstate sides play off in the GF?

Ummm - why does it have to be played in Victoria. There is nothing that says that has to be the case. I would be happy if the premiers got to host it - if Geelong wanted to host at Kardinia Park, well good luck to them.

If there is an interstate side and the supporters know 6 months in advance, the place would be full. The only exception might be if Port is one of the sides.

For a few years there the AFL allowed Fremantle to play an ANZAC day twilight game at Subi - no more. The story is that it is a tv contract request that the ANZAC game remain stand-alone.

AndrewP6
25-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Hawthorn's Brent Renouf was a late withdrawal today with illness. Luke Hodge apparently started in the middle. Boy, the Hawks are out of luck...interesting to see how that match pans out.

chef
25-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Ummm - why does it have to be played in Victoria. There is nothing that says that has to be the case. I would be happy if the premiers got to host it - if Geelong wanted to host at Kardinia Park, well good luck to them.

If there is an interstate side and the supporters know 6 months in advance, the place would be full. The only exception might be if Port is one of the sides.

For a few years there the AFL allowed Fremantle to play an ANZAC day twilight game at Subi - no more. The story is that it is a tv contract request that the ANZAC game remain stand-alone.

$$$$$, bums on seats and TV viewers for the AFL.

In a perfect world you would have the two grand finalists play-off with the premier hosting it. But I couldn't see the AFL moving it away from the MCG or having any else but Collingwood and Essendon playing in it.

ledge
25-04-2010, 06:59 PM
If its 2 interstate teams it wouldnt be played at the MCG, play it at the home ground of the side who won the flag as the reward.

ledge
25-04-2010, 07:01 PM

For a few years there the AFL allowed Fremantle to play an ANZAC day twilight game at Subi - no more. The story is that it is a tv contract request that the ANZAC game remain stand-alone..

It isnt this year.

chef
25-04-2010, 07:02 PM
It isnt this year.

Only because it falls on the weekend.

ledge
25-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Only because it falls on the weekend.

Should that make a difference with having the monday off?
Either play just the one game on either the Sunday or Monday.

Just for the record I am not really fussed on how many games are played on the day now.
I think it should be none but once you play one game might as well play 3 or 4.

AndrewP6
25-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Kangas up by 4 points inside 7 mins...

chef
25-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Kangas up by 4 points inside 7 mins...

Good win by the Kanga's.

ledge
25-04-2010, 08:40 PM
yes it was, this round has really opened up the ladder.

AndrewP6
25-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Tigers up by 26 two minutes from quarter time.... who'd have thunk it?

LostDoggy
25-04-2010, 09:18 PM
This round has been a huge upset one, im sitting here with 2/6 tips..Richmond leading Fremantle. Gah!

Sockeye Salmon
25-04-2010, 10:34 PM

Someone wrote in todays Age a suggestion that the two highest placed Victorian teams play at the G on Anzac day with the two highest placed interstate sides playing a twilight match at the higher finishing teams home ground.

I love the idea.

Remi Moses
26-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Personally don't give a stuff about them playing Anzac Day,but it Shits me when they bang on about other sides getting equalization funds!Yes you get maximum TV exposure for your sponsors as some of us Don't get the exposure they get

End Rant

lemmon
26-04-2010, 03:17 AM
I'm for the ANZAC Day clash being the grand final rematch, massive hype, tremendous atmosphere, would be fantastic.
On a separate note Collingwood were extremely impressive, they may very well be in with a big shot come September

MrMahatma
26-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Not sure about the whole ANZAC day/teams who play debate. It's kind of a chicken/egg scenario.

People say - we want to share the exposure that ANZAC day, but is it so popular because of the teams that are playing?

Would Nth/WB get a sell out at the G, on ANZAC day, even if they were 1 & 2 the prior year. I doubt it.

I see both sides of the argument. It seems unfair for other teams not to get that exposure. But on the other side, as it currently is it's great exposure for the AFL as a whole, great exposure to ANZAC day and what it means.

I think things like Friday night games and maybe even Monday night - if they ever got off the ground - could be worth reviewing. Maybe give those prime slots to the form teams of the competition/match of the round.

There should definitely be something in the draw that recognises the teams playing well and rewards them. It'd be a nice counter to tanking.

Sockeye Salmon
26-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Not sure about the whole ANZAC day/teams who play debate. It's kind of a chicken/egg scenario.

People say - we want to share the exposure that ANZAC day, but is it so popular because of the teams that are playing?

Would Nth/WB get a sell out at the G, on ANZAC day, even if they were 1 & 2 the prior year. I doubt it.

I see both sides of the argument. It seems unfair for other teams not to get that exposure. But on the other side, as it currently is it's great exposure for the AFL as a whole, great exposure to ANZAC day and what it means.

I think things like Friday night games and maybe even Monday night - if they ever got off the ground - could be worth reviewing. Maybe give those prime slots to the form teams of the competition/match of the round.

There should definitely be something in the draw that recognises the teams playing well and rewards them. It'd be a nice counter to tanking.

WB/NM got 70,000 there in '98.

chef
26-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Three talls doesn't seem to be working for the Cats, Blues taking out of their back line very easily.

G-Mo77
26-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Three talls doesn't seem to be working for the Cats, Blues taking out of their back line very easily.

I don't think that is the reason Carlton are dominating, Geelong really didn't get it down there all that often. Carlton are forcing Geelong to make mistakes, they're playing great right now.

I'd love to give McBurney a swift hard whack right accross his face. There is no other umpire in this league that I hate as much as him. I hope we don't get him Friday!

comrade
26-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I'd love to give McBurney a swift hard whack right accross his face. There is no other umpire in this league that I hate as much as him. I hope we don't get him Friday!

He seems to make more 'look at me' calls than other umpires, especially behind the ball infringements.

With Saint Nick out on Friday, we should be safe.

comrade
26-04-2010, 04:54 PM
SPOILER ALERT

Whilst seeing Carlton win is never a positive, is Geelong getting belted a good or bad thing for us? Is it a sign of them coming back into the pack, or is Carlton better than we hoped?

In my opinion, the game was very similar to our first round loss to the Magpies. The Blues shut down the Geelong running game and with strong tackling pressure caused turnovers that were capitalized on.

No doubt, the Blues and other teams will employ a similar strategy when they play us. How do we combat it? Do we go into a St-Kilda-style strangulation game plan, trying to eke out a win through forcing more contested situations and giving Boyd and co an opportunity to win possession?

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Umm, sitting up here in northern NSW not getting too much AFL coverage, I nearly fell off my chair last night when I found out some of the scores from this weekend, and it continued today, with Carlton beating Geelong! Wow, this weekend has really opened up the ladder - maybe I'm feeling a bit more confident about next weekend - Friday night I think? I would love to belt the saints but I'll take a 1 point win, if necessary :D

hujsh
26-04-2010, 05:28 PM
important to win during a weekend of upsets. Pulls us that bit closer to the top as we seize on opposition slipups.

comrade
26-04-2010, 05:31 PM
important to win during a weekend of upsets. Pulls us that bit closer to the top as we seize on opposition slipups.

It's a massive few weeks ahead for us - coming up against teams in red hot form that we would've expected to beat at the start of the year (Sydney and Melbourne).

A win against the Saints would set our season up.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Carlton played some very good football today.

Their leg speed is fantastic, and when they can move the ball through the corridor with speed, to the forwards advantage, they look very dangerous.

Would love to have one of Yarren or Gartlett playing for us.

chef
26-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Carlton played some very good football today.

Their leg speed is fantastic, and when they can move the ball through the corridor with speed, to the forwards advantage, they look very dangerous.

Would love to have one of Yarren or Gartlett playing for us.

Or Betts.

mjp
26-04-2010, 09:07 PM
It is an interesting result.

For a few years now Geelong have been amazing. Not they they always won (though they mostly did) but just that these results NEVER happened to them. They might lose by a kick every now and then in an upset, but this was their first 'Bulldogs vs WCE 2009 edition' games I can remember since their first premiership season.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2010, 09:14 PM

For a few years now Geelong have been amazing. Not they they always won (though they mostly did) but just that these results NEVER happened to them. They might lose by a kick every now and then in an upset, but this was their first 'Bulldogs vs WCE 2009 edition' games I can remember since their first premiership season.

I was thinking the same thing earlier. Not sure what their heaviest defeat would be of the last 2-3 years, but this is probably up there. At the same time - they proved v Port Adelaide they still have the capacity to blow sides off the park.

Yarran is a special talent and he's starting to hit his strides after a bit of a slow start to his career. He's a smooth mover but is very quick and got under Geelong's guard today. His poise and skill makes him a deadly player if he continues to improve. Starting to see why they picked him over Rich etc.

Highlighted to me that it's almost a must to have a Betts/Yarran/Garlett type.

comrade
26-04-2010, 09:15 PM

The Blues have a quality engine room that matches up well on teams who roll the dice, run in waves and try to go head to head in the midfield, rather than locking down. It's why they can beat us, even when they suck.

How can we combat it when we play them?

Rocco Jones
26-04-2010, 09:23 PM
The Blues have a quality engine room that matches up well on teams who roll the dice, run in waves and try to go head to head in the midfield, rather than locking down. It's why they can beat us, even when they suck.

How can we combat it when we play them?

Without wanting to sound like the fools in the crowd that scream 'man up' every other minute but Cross and Boyd need to show a lot of respect to their respective opponents. Hopefully the new Ryan Griffen punishes them for giving him the space.

No Fev means Betts is their man up forward. Yarran and Garlett are looking good as well so we will probably have to dedicate Shaggy and Morris to the smalls. It should suit Lake to a tee zoning off ordinary tall forwards.

comrade
26-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Without wanting to sound like the fools in the crowd that scream 'man up' every other minute but Cross and Boyd need to show a lot of respect to their respective opponents. Hopefully the new Ryan Griffen punishes them for giving him the space.

No Fev means Betts is their man up forward. Yarran and Garlett are looking good as well so we will probably have to dedicate Shaggy and Morris to the smalls. It should suit Lake to a tee zoning off ordinary tall forwards.

They're forward structure should suit us with Fevola not there:

Henderson - Lake (or Williams)
Sentanta - Williams (or Lake)
Garlett - Harbrow
Yarran - Shaggy
Betts - Morris

As always, it boils down to the midfield, which is where they've gotten us in previous outings and it's where they belted Geelong today. I hate seeing opposition players 'cheat' forward of the play and cut us to ribbons - I'd happily forgo our attacking style and make it a grind if it meant nullifying their attacking options.

Mantis
27-04-2010, 09:02 AM
As always, it boils down to the midfield, which is where they've gotten us in previous outings and it's where they belted Geelong today. I hate seeing opposition players 'cheat' forward of the play and cut us to ribbons - I'd happily forgo our attacking style and make it a grind if it meant nullifying their attacking options.

Messers Gibbs & Simpson usually play good games against us.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2010, 09:27 AM
I was thinking the same thing earlier. Not sure what their heaviest defeat would be of the last 2-3 years, but this is probably up there. At the same time - they proved v Port Adelaide they still have the capacity to blow sides off the park.

I'd say this would be it.

2008 Round 9
Collingwood 6.4 11.6 16.8 20.14 (134) dftd Geelong 2.2 3.3 6.5 7.6 (48)

Mofra
27-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I went to a Collingwood v Geelong game at the MCG where Collingwood smashed Geelong by ~70 points.
Strangely, the feeling from everyone there was "no panic, just a bad night for Geelong". This time there are more questions being asked of the team which is a statement in itself.

chef
27-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I went to a Collingwood v Geelong game at the MCG where Collingwood smashed Geelong by ~70 points.
Strangely, the feeling from everyone there was "no panic, just a bad night for Geelong". This time there are more questions being asked of the team which is a statement in itself.

The Ablett/Thompson tension can't be good for the team either.

azabob
27-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Funnily enough Carlton beat the cats last year also.

LostDoggy
27-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I forgot to congratulate my mate Ben on playing his first game for the Kangaroos, well done, Ben! (Did Princetown proud haha)

LostDoggy
28-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Someone wrote in todays Age a suggestion that the two highest placed Victorian teams play at the G on Anzac day with the two highest placed interstate sides playing a twilight match at the higher finishing teams home ground.

I love the idea.

There's one left-field idea for ANZAC Day that I've been banging on for a while now that I think satisfies the criteria of it being not the same two teams every year, while also ensuring a sell-out:

Have the two Victorian teams (for the sake of the argument that it HAS to be at the 'G) with the highest membership tallies in the previous year play-off.

This way, you're actually rewarding the fans for tangibly supporting their team, creates an immediate, visible incentive for higher membership tallies ("if you want to see the Dogs play on ANZAC Day, sign up to be a member!"), is a transparent method of fixturing rather than just having two teams welded on for perpetuity, and is a reward for work off-the-field (which is a reason some are saying Collingwood and Essendon deserve it in any case -- if they keep doing well off the field they will keep it). Fans of ALL clubs are also more likely to become members if there is such a direct and visible potential reward.

Teams performing well tend to also have higher membership numbers, so it will at least ensure that the game is somewhat competitive, and will also ensure a sell-out as low drawing teams are immediately ineligible.

I imagine it will be Richmond - Collingwood - Carlton - Essendon - Hawthorn for a while, but there is at least a very real incentive for the smaller clubs to get their membership totals up to challenge for an ANZAC Day spot.

Mantis
28-04-2010, 04:23 PM
There's one left-field idea for ANZAC Day that I've been banging on for a while now that I think satisfies the criteria of it being not the same two teams every year, while also ensuring a sell-out:

Have the two Victorian teams (for the sake of the argument that it HAS to be at the 'G) with the highest membership tallies in the previous year play-off.

This way, you're actually rewarding the fans for tangibly supporting their team, creates an immediate, visible incentive for higher membership tallies ("if you want to see the Dogs play on ANZAC Day, sign up to be a member!"), is a transparent method of fixturing rather than just having two teams welded on for perpetuity, and is a reward for work off-the-field (which is a reason some are saying Collingwood and Essendon deserve it in any case -- if they keep doing well off the field they will keep it). Fans of ALL clubs are also more likely to become members if there is such a direct and visible potential reward.

Teams performing well tend to also have higher membership numbers, so it will at least ensure that the game is somewhat competitive, and will also ensure a sell-out as low drawing teams are immediately ineligible.

I imagine it will be Richmond - Collingwood - Carlton - Essendon - Hawthorn for a while, but there is at least a very real incentive for the smaller clubs to get their membership totals up to challenge for an ANZAC Day spot.

Do we get to include dog memberships and 3-day memberships like other clubs do?

boydogs
28-04-2010, 09:09 PM
There's one left-field idea for ANZAC Day that I've been banging on for a while now that I think satisfies the criteria of it being not the same two teams every year, while also ensuring a sell-out

Good, thought provoking post. I disagree though ;)

Teams performing well tend to also have higher membership numbers, so it will at least ensure that the game is somewhat competitive

Geelong have played in the last 3 grand finals, but wouldn't get close to playing as their membership is not near the top. Collingwood are always up there in membership, but haven't won a flag in 52 years. Membership tallies are not as fluid as your theory suggests

and will also ensure a sell-out as low drawing teams are immediately ineligible.

Hawthorn's membership is right up there, partly because of the Tassie experiment, but their attendances wouldn't match those of an Essendon for example

There is already significant financial incentive for clubs to grow their membership without this game. Having the teams playing based on membership tallies is not going to redress the balance in membership tallies between clubs, the clubs currently ahead would want to stay that way

This concept also goes against the entire argument for ditching the Coll v Ess matchup - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that if you play the clubs currently drawing the biggest crowds, then they will be the ones to win new fans, sponsorships etc. and continue to grow stronger, making it harder for other clubs to challenge them

---

I like the idea of the grand final replay, it would be a great day to showcase the game with a great level of interest from neutral supporters and a high probability of a quality matchup