PDA

View Full Version : Exciting Bunch of Young Talls

bornadog
25-04-2010, 01:30 AM
How exciting was it last night to have an exciting bunch of young tall players all playing their part. When was the last time we ever had a group like Grant, Roughead, Everitt and even Tommy who is still only 23. Minno has just turned 25, so he has years ahead of him as well.

Add to these guys Cordy, Jones and Boumann, who all have potential, and the dogs future looks exciting.

Gee, maybe we need more runners, I think we have gone too top heavy:D

mjp
25-04-2010, 11:14 AM

I wish this wasn't true.

Go_Dogs
25-04-2010, 11:25 AM
I wish this wasn't true.

I think a lot of AFL lists are a little top heavy at the moment, as sides are scrambling to unearth their next batch of 10 year KPP's before the ability to draft them becomes a lot more difficult.

We know we have a couple of mids coming through in this years draft, as well as having added a couple in the 2009 ND, and history suggests that identifying and developing small/running players is easier than doing so for KPP's.

So yes, we are currently a little top heavy, but I think with good reason - and it should hold us in good stead over the coming seasons. I think it's getting safer to say that Everitt, Williams, and to a lesser extent, Roughead, Grant and Jones all have reasonable or better chances of making the required level.

As these players start to reach their peaks, we'll be able to add younger midfielders who (usually) develop more rapidly, and should really create a very strong, well positioned, and balanced list.

*fingers crossed*

GVGjr
25-04-2010, 11:58 AM
How exciting was it last night to have an exciting bunch of young tall players all playing their part. When was the last time we ever had a group like Grant, Roughead, Everitt and even Tommy who is still only 23. Minno has just turned 25, so he has years ahead of him as well.

Add to these guys Cordy, Jones and Boumann, who all have potential, and the dogs future looks exciting.

At the moment we have the numbers but not the quality because we have a few that are works in progress.
Cordy, Jones, Boumann, Mulligan (you forgot him) and even Roughead still have so much to learn and it will be a while before they are ready for an extended run at the senior level.

I think our list is just a little imbalanced at the moment. We have a lot of older guys, a lot of physically raw players and a few guys that might be lucky to be on a senior list. Due to a few injuries we are down on genuine midfielders with a bit of toe plus I would have thought we should have had another ruck prospect on the list a bit further advanced than Roughead

BornInDroopSt'54
25-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I wish this wasn't true.

Yes we clearly have an imbalance of talented young players coming through who are tall KPP/ruck vs speedy smalls. This is very exciting and bodes well. KPP's are so hard to get. They may look promising when young but may not make the grade for various reasons but ours look like they will be outstanding. Speedy smalls are much more prevalent and hopefully our future recruiting will address this.
Paradoxically, remember when we recruited Higgins we were actually after a KPP, which that draft had a lot of, but because Higgins was expected to be taken higher, he was seen as too good not to take so we grabbed him. What a good decision that has proven to be, even if he is strangely down on form ATM, making uncharacteristic errors and misreading the play.
If we can recruit some good smalls in the interim, 2016-2020 looks like a good era for the club.

bornadog
25-04-2010, 12:31 PM
At the moment we have the numbers but not the quality because we have a few that are works in progress.
Cordy, Jones, Boumann, Mulligan (you forgot him) and even Roughead still have so much to learn and it will be a while before they are ready for an extended run at the senior level.

I think our list is just a little imbalanced at the moment. We have a lot of older guys, a lot of physically raw players and a few guys that might be lucky to be on a senior list. Due to a few injuries we are down on genuine midfielders with a bit of toe plus I would have thought we should have had another ruck prospect on the list a bit further advanced than Roughead

Yes, I did forget Mulligan. I don't agree with your statement on an imbalance. I think we have the most balanced team we have had for a long long time. Yes, we can always improve on what we have, but generally overall (forgetting injuries), the team is looking pretty good.

With the rucks, we have Hudson, (31), Minson (25) and then the young guns. Maybe we should have had a ruckman around 21, 22 years old and that would have been the ideal, but I think we are in a good position.

Mofra
25-04-2010, 01:49 PM
If you take into account our first two picks this year will be midfielder/flankers I don't think the balance is as bad as some suggest.

I would like a decent CHB/FB back-up though - Mulligan & Boumann don't seem ready, and Marcovic not getting a NAB cup game doesn't fill me with confidence.

Scorlibo
25-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I disagree with some saying that we need more midfielders, IMO if we drafted any more out and out midfielders, we would be condemning their careers to fail. As it stands already, we have Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Ward, Liberatore, Reid, Boyd, Cross and Wallis all on our list next year and all are predominantly midfielders. Libba and Wallis won't play until Boyd and Cross are nearly done, and that looks like being a smooth transition, although it is a long way off.

We know that Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Ward are going to be mainstays, and knowing the quality of those players, I'm not too concerned with our midfield stocks to be honest, and if we were to draft any more midfield types I reckon they should be in the Gia mould - able to play in a number of positions so that they can fill in for others like Gia does and did exceptionally well for Boyd on Friday night. Perhaps that's the line of thought on Tutt and Howard.

bornadog
25-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I disagree with some saying that we need more midfielders, IMO if we drafted any more out and out midfielders, we would be condemning their careers to fail. As it stands already, we have Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Ward, Liberatore, Reid, Boyd, Cross and Wallis all on our list next year and all are predominantly midfielders. Libba and Wallis won't play until Boyd and Cross are nearly done, and that looks like being a smooth transition, although it is a long way off.

We know that Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Ward are going to be mainstays, and knowing the quality of those players, I'm not too concerned with our midfield stocks to be honest, and if we were to draft any more midfield types I reckon they should be in the Gia mould - able to play in a number of positions so that they can fill in for others like Gia does and did exceptionally well for Boyd on Friday night. Perhaps that's the line of thought on Tutt and Howard.

Well maybe we need to start thinking about replacements for Hargrave, Morris, Gilbee, Hahn, Aker and Johhno in the next three years or so, ie HBFF and HFF

Bumper Bulldogs
25-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Well maybe we need to start thinking about replacements for Hargrave, Morris, Gilbee, Hahn, Aker and Johhno in the next three years or so, ie HBFF and HFF

Yes spot on IMO we need to get 2 Gilbees that can cut you to bits coming of 1/2 back. That said, I didn't think Harbrow would be as good as he is down their.

I'm more than happy with the list management at the moment.

Scorlibo
25-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Yes absolutely, I think this was the intention in the 2006 draft, but from that draft Lynch has been delisted and Stack is still yet to prove his worth.

AndrewP6
25-04-2010, 05:27 PM
We know that Cooney, Griffen, Higgins and Ward are going to be mainstays, and knowing the quality of those players

If they stay :confused:

BulldogBelle
25-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Honestly, we just need to look at covering blokes as they retire as a priority. Our list is great.

chef
25-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Honestly, we just need to look at covering blokes as they retire as a priority. Our list is great.

It is pretty healthy.

LostDoggy
25-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Yes we do but as they are young, the debs may well taper off as the season goes on.

As for being unbalanced, I think we are in need of one Cryril Rioli, someone with genuine speed. Those wanting Addison in the forward line forget that he lacks pace. Higgins seems to have lacked pace recently. Hahn and Akermanis are slowing up. Eagle gets caught on his wrong side. Genuine speed past the contest to take the handball and open up the forward line is down compared to a team like Collingwood. Collingwood are very quick to give and go and to get free from the contest. In reverse they are very quick to get to contests in numbers and crowd out oppositions, forcing them to become slow to get away from the pack.

To be good at this, you need to keep your feet, think quickly, act instinctively and accurately, and quickly get to the next position and be on the move at speed. Sometimes we have ended up handballing to stationary targets or got corralled into crowded or unfree positions. Because...there were not enough getting across the turf to help out at contests. Slow? Tired? Unbalanced? Are our talls going to add to this?

I can't see how more talls can work unless we have a pacy link player at half foward. We may well end up being tall but slower from contested situations against pacy sides like Collingwood. Front and centre, give and go, free running goal, snap goal.

To offset this, we will need everyone blocking and putting their hands in to stop the ball getting free from stoppages and centre ball ups. It will be interesting to see if we can do this against the Saints.

mjp
25-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Yep...all good points.

Now Cooney and Harbrow have gone to GC17...then what? We will be counting very heavily on Reid and Wood both staying and coming through to give us any kind of cover.

With Ward out already, we would not want to lose another runner.

As for covering guys when they retire...when they retire it is too late.

MrMahatma
25-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Yes spot on IMO we need to get 2 Gilbees that can cut you to bits coming of 1/2 back. That said, I didn't think Harbrow would be as good as he is down their.

I'm more than happy with the list management at the moment.
Harbrow & Howard are the Gilbee replacements.

Hopefully we keep Harbrow away from the GC.

strebla
25-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I was reading an article in MX on friday and Cooney said he plans to stay in Melbourne even after he retires!!!

Mantis
26-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Boyd and Cross will both be 28 come the start of next year and would have atleast 3 more years to play before they retire. Libba & Wallis would need to be playing at the highest level before this 3 or 4 year period.

Our ability to find room in our midfield for these 2 as well as Reid & Ward over the next few years will be interesting to watch (provided we don't lose too many to GC & GWS)

Hot_Doggies
26-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Hard decisions have to be made. If we could give Hahn to GC for a Rnd 5 draft pick, i would take that as a win.

Maybe Cross traded also, free up room for Reid, Ward, Wallis, Liberatore etc etc.

chef
26-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Hard decisions have to be made. If we could give Hahn to GC for a Rnd 5 draft pick, i would take that as a win.

Maybe Cross traded also, free up room for Reid, Ward, Wallis, Liberatore etc etc.

Good way to rip the heart out of our footy club. I think we learnt a lesson from Montie and Powell back in the late 90's and I don't think we would make the same mistake again.

comrade
26-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Good way to rip the heart out of our footy club. I think we learnt a lesson from Montie and Powell back in the late 90's and I don't think we would make the same mistake again.

I was going to post something similar. I'm not averse to trading out key personnel IF the deal is a no brainer and will take us closer to a flag, but putting Crossy's name up doesn't fit that purpose in this instance.

Let's see how Libba and Wallis adjust to the step up that is top line football, before calling for our most courageous player to be moved on.

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 02:11 PM

Why would you want to get rid of Crossy????
Or Mitch for that matter?????? :confused:

OLD SCRAGGer
26-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Why would you want to get rid of Crossy????
Or Mitch for that matter?????? :confused:

SOME people on here have had it in for Mitch for ages, Mitch & Eagle...P's me off :mad:

BulldogBelle
26-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I reckon Tiller will regain his form and fitness for AFL and give it a red hot go next year. Possibly with a game very late in this year to inspire him. He's a forgotten man.

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm impressed with the body size of Tutt.

First eyar player and he seems to have the torso and upper body bulk of a 3rd or 4th year player in the system. Unfortunate that he got injured so early in the first game i've seen him play but the signs from a muscle development point of view seem promising.

GVGjr
26-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm impressed with the body size of Tutt.

First eyar player and he seems to have the torso and upper body bulk of a 3rd or 4th year player in the system. Unfortunate that he got injured so early in the first game i've seen him play but the signs from a muscle development point of view seem promising.

Tutt's not a tall and I wouldn't have thought he currently has an impressive physique.

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Tutt's not a tall and I wouldn't have thought he currently has an impressive physique.

Neither is Harbrow, Cross, Boyd, Howard, Wallis, Liberatore and some others previously mentioned in this thread, and i must have Tutt mistaken for another player with the same number that went of early in the game. I watched him train for 5 minutes from a short distance.

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 03:46 PM
I reckon Tiller will regain his form and fitness for AFL and give it a red hot go next year. Possibly with a game very late in this year to inspire him. He's a forgotten man.

I think you are very optimistic, I don't think he will be on our list next year but am always happy to be proven wrong. Just don't think he is tall enough to play KP or smart enough to play the Hargrave type role

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Neither is Harbrow,

Harbrow is the perfect reference point I think for how we would like Tutt to develop his game

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Harbrow is the perfect reference point I think for how we would like Tutt to develop his game

Most young players of Harbs size at our club could look to him as a role model, but they'd have to have a similar speed and hardness at the ball/contest.

LostDoggy
26-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Just on a side note how did this thread go from talking about our talls to the smallest player on our list in Tutt. Just found it funny

soupman
26-04-2010, 09:13 PM

You do realise that would be a pick exceeding pick 70? Normally that many players don't even get picked up in the draft, and we wouldn't even use a pick that high. Sure, hard decisions may need to be made, but trading a proven strong bodied forward who has been a key part of our club for a good 10 years for what is essentially a rookie is stupidity.

bornadog
02-08-2010, 12:22 AM
I thought Jones acquitted himself well today, great first kick in the AFL and did some nice things for the time he was on.

With Roughead improving every week, and Grant getting better and better, we have some future KPP's to look forward to watching.

always right
02-08-2010, 09:18 AM
And I like the fact they can all run. Not a plodder amongst them.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I thought Jones acquitted himself well today, great first kick in the AFL and did some nice things for the time he was on.

With Roughead improving every week, and Grant getting better and better, we have some future KPP's to look forward to watching.

IMO, we now have a collection of some of the best young KP talent going around. Hopefully they can all continue to work hard and develop into 100+ game players.

Desipura
02-08-2010, 09:39 AM

Dont mean to burst your bubble, I dont have as much confidence that Boumann can make it. The jury is still out on what position suits Everitt and whether he can be a permanent member of our side. Also dont know that we can classify him as a kpp.
Minson should be a better player than he is at 25yo.
Cordy has so far been injury prone so we dont know how good he could be. Mulligan is not even getting a game for Willi firsts!

On a positive note, Grant, Roughead & Tommy are certainly improving with every game and I am very confident Jones will be a long term player.

stefoid
02-08-2010, 10:14 AM
trade cross are you insane?

Mofra
02-08-2010, 10:43 AM
When Jones wasn't getting the ball, he still showed a strong willingness to be invovled in the game which is a very promising sign. Was unlucky not to have 2 or 3 goals yesterday, with a couple of kicks well over his head and a disallowed goal which some have suggested wasn't actually touched.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
When Jones wasn't getting the ball, he still showed a strong willingness to be invovled in the game which is a very promising sign. Was unlucky not to have 2 or 3 goals yesterday, with a couple of kicks well over his head and a disallowed goal which some have suggested wasn't actually touched.

He still has a long way to go. He sat back and waited for a couple instead of attacking it and got under a couple as well. He also wanted to get them over the top instead of leading up at the ball carrier (Lake gave him a nice serve for this at one stage). Will be a player, though, no question.

The Coon Dog
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Who suggested trading Cross? Can you please quote in future. :)

EasternWest
02-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Who suggested trading Cross? Can you please quote in future. :)

There you go.

EasternWest
02-08-2010, 11:42 AM

He still has a long way to go. He sat back and waited for a couple instead of attacking it and got under a couple as well. He also wanted to get them over the top instead of leading up at the ball carrier (Lake gave him a nice serve for this at one stage). Will be a player, though, no question.

I thought Jones still looked like he had a lot to work on and learn. Like SS said, he got caught out of position a few times. But he did a fewe good things too and I agree with Mofra: he was willing to work to get amongst it.

For a first game for a tall, I was very satisfied.

Oh, FTR I watched the replay when I got home. It was definitely not touched.

The Coon Dog
02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
There you go.

Thx dfa, just didn't have the time to go back through the posts & it was more to stefoid that in future, it helps when refering to a specific quote someone else has made, perhaps quote it, makes it easier to follow.

stefoid
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM

I saw that incident. I thought at the time that he had made good position and that a decent 65m hoof would have given him an easy mark goalside of his opponent. Gilbee would have hit him lace out but , I think Lake saw him a bit late and didnt trust himself to make the kick.

In general, I dont really have a problem with kicking long over congestion, one-out to a talented tall forward. Should be more of it

bornadog
02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Dont mean to burst your bubble, I dont have as much confidence that Boumann can make it. The jury is still out on what position suits Everitt and whether he can be a permanent member of our side. Also dont know that we can classify him as a kpp.
Minson should be a better player than he is at 25yo.
Cordy has so far been injury prone so we dont know how good he could be. Mulligan is not even getting a game for Willi firsts!

On a positive note, Grant, Roughead & Tommy are certainly improving with every game and I am very confident Jones will be a long term player.

For a team that lacked talls for a long long time, I think 4 prospects, plus hopefully Cordy is pretty good, so your not bursting any bubble.

Desipura
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I saw that incident. I thought at the time that he had made good position and that a decent 65m hoof would have given him an easy mark goalside of his opponent. Gilbee would have hit him lace out but , I think Lake saw him a bit late and didnt trust himself to make the kick.

In general, I dont really have a problem with kicking long over congestion, one-out to a talented tall forward. Should be more of it
Totally agree, it was right near where I was sitting in front of the coaches box.

Desipura
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
For a team that lacked talls for a long long time, I think 4 prospects, plus hopefully Cordy is pretty good, so your not bursting any bubble.
Too true, my brother went to the trainers function on Friday and was pleasantly surprised how highly Griffen spoke of young Liam Jones.
Griff said to my bro, "watch him, he is going to be a beauty". Was saying how he continually outmarked Hall in the preseason.
Is it any wonder why Hall has been quoted as saying, " Jones is going to be a superstar"

Cyberdoggie
02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I thought he really got overlooked by his team mates yesterday.
He made some great leads where he was miles on his own and in just about all the instances the pass went to Barry hall, sometimes in a better position, sometimes not.

Not easy for him to play his first game alongside Barry and Johnno.

Made a few mistakes like not reaching out for a couple of marks, he waited for too long or tried to mark on a chest, but he'll learn quickly.

Can't wait to see what he'll become.

Desipura
02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I thought he really got overlooked by his team mates yesterday.
He made some great leads where he was miles on his own and in just about all the instances the pass went to Barry hall, sometimes in a better position, sometimes not.

Not easy for him to play his first game alongside Barry and Johnno.

Made a few mistakes like not reaching out for a couple of marks, he waited for too long or tried to mark on a chest, but he'll learn quickly.

Can't wait to see what he'll become.
I paid close attention to Jones throughout the match. He made some good leads in the first half however was ignored.
One passage of play, I think was Gia who was on a flank, Jones was free however he opted to go longer to Hall who was behind his opponent. Hall almost took the mark.

They looked for him more when the game was all but over in the 2nd half. In fact, a total of 7 forward entries went to him.

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 01:54 PM

For a first-gamer, he did very well… A lot of pressure on him, coming into a team that's flying very well, playing his first game, knowing he has to work miracles to get another game this year.

mjp
02-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I paid close attention to Jones throughout the match.

Was this statement necessary Desi? I am a tad surprised given the modest crowd that you didn't report following him from end to end!:D

Desipura
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Was this statement necessary Desi? I am a tad surprised given the modest crowd that you didn't report following him from end to end!:D
I tend to play closer attention to the newbies, especially one that I know has a big future ;)

LostDoggy
02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Will be a player, though, no question.

Since the first day he walked into the club we all saw something special, but recruiters at 16 clubs didn't think he was worth a first round pick -- I guess that 2008 draft has really turned out to be a pretty deep. What was the knock on him at junior level (if any)?

Mantis
02-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Since the first day he walked into the club we all saw something special, but recruiters at 16 clubs didn't think he was worth a first round pick -- I guess that 2008 draft has really turned out to be a pretty deep. What was the knock on him at junior level (if any)?

There wasn't any.... He missed most of his draft year with a pretty serious knee injury which I guess didn't allow him to show his skills in the TAC comp or in the U/18 championships.

It will turn out to be a very good draft for talls and I guess we were after this type in that draft and look to have done well.

LostDoggy
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
There wasn't any.... He missed most of his draft year with a pretty serious knee injury which I guess didn't allow him to show his skills in the TAC comp or in the U/18 championships.

It will turn out to be a very good draft for talls and I guess we were after this type in that draft and look to have done well.

Thanks Mantis -- it does look very deep when one looks at the list of names in that draft. Very few misses especially in the top 35-40 or so, and quite a few have already debuted. The quality of recruiting was always going to improve as a consequence of more money being spent in football departments around the league. Or maybe there were just more kids born in 1990 - 1991 after the end of the recession/start of the long boom, and more money spent on sports programs in schools and clubs in the prosperous mid to late '90s (when these kids would have been going through school). Pretty long bow to draw, I know, I know.