PDA

View Full Version : Event Football

comrade
26-04-2010, 11:41 PM
With ANZAC Day just gone, we've had plenty of debate regarding the merit of Collingwood and Essendon's right to 'own' the day.

With the Bulldogs lacking a genuine blockbuster match, something that could be sold to prospective sponsors as a guaranteed sell out/media event, I thought it might be worth throwing some ideas around about building our own event, in a similar vein to what Essendon and Richmond have done with the Dreamtime concept.

There aren't many days that haven't been 'taken' but Good Friday is the obvious one and could be linked with the Children's Hospital Appeal.

Anyone have some other thoughts that are perhaps outside of the box?

Rocco Jones
27-04-2010, 12:09 AM
We have the 'Field of Women' game against Melbourne week after next. I know the MCG seems to have a hold on that but it would be good to see us annually have it as an alternating home/away fixture there on a Friday night.

Could turn it into something like the SCG test, cramming in pink wherever we can. Replace red on our jumpers with pink, urge fans to wear pink, pink footy, bring back Jordy for a game etc. Good PR for the club and a gimmick for a game against a team with a small supporter base.

comrade
27-04-2010, 12:29 AM
We have the 'Field of Women' game against Melbourne week after next. I know the MCG seems to have a hold on that but it would be good to see us annually have it as an alternating home/away fixture there on a Friday night.

Could turn it into something like the SCG test, cramming in pink wherever we can. Replace red on our jumpers with pink, urge fans to wear pink, pink footy, bring back Jordy for a game etc. Good PR for the club and a gimmick for a game against a team with a small supporter base.

Good call, RJ. I hope he Club are working with the AFL to make it a yearly event for us and try and build a solid infrastructure around it (sponsorship, pink jumpers, McGrath Foundation etc).

FrediKanoute
27-04-2010, 03:54 AM
I reckon we should make the last Saturday in September Bulldog Day.....play in it every year, win more often than we lose and make it a day synonymous with Bulldog success. Every other team can have the other Saturday's, Monday's Friday's and ANZAC Days.....the only one that matters to me is the one in Sep!

Bulldog4life
27-04-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd like to see the Bulldogs participating in THE MULTICULTURAL Cup. I know it is done on a small scale the multicultural round, or I think it is, but where we are situated in the Western Suburbs I think this could be made into a huge highlight of the year.

There are many off shoots where it could benefit the Club down the track as well. As to who our opponent would be that is another thing. Maybe North. Would the crowds come? Maybe not. Perhaps if we are looking for a crowd puller it would be better to look at Carlton.

bornadog
27-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I'd like to see the Bulldogs participating in THE MULTICULTURAL Cup. I know it is done on a small scale the multicultural round, or I think it is, but where we are situated in the Western Suburbs I think this could be made into a huge highlight of the year.

There are many off shoots where it could benefit the Club down the track as well. As to who our opponent would be that is another thing. Maybe North. Would the crowds come? Maybe not. Perhaps if we are looking for a crowd puller it would be better to look at Carlton.

Good Idea but I would make it with Essendon as both clubs are in similar territory that is west of Melbourne.

Last year it was mentioned that the North game would be an annual recognition of the fire fighters . The crowd was piss poor last year.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Good Idea but I would make it with Essendon as both clubs are in similar territory that is west of Melbourne.

Last year it was mentioned that the North game would be an annual recognition of the fire fighters . The crowd was piss poor last year.

Yes I thought of Essendon but then they have the Deamtime game & the Anzac game. They have enough freebies.:) I agree that North is a bad option as far as supporter base goes.

LostDoggy
27-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Yes I thought of Essendon but then they have the Deamtime game & the Anzac game. They have enough freebies.:) I agree that North is a bad option as far as supporter base goes.

It's not a bad thing to get associated with an 'event' team. If Essendon are a big drawing team, then Essendon it should be.

However, who is a serious rival that we want to beat every year? Richmond? Adelaide? St. Kilda? Hawthorn? Carlton, obviously, but do we want to be associated with that filth?

Actually, I think our most realistic 'event' rival team is Geelong. They are also out our way West, and we could have it at Shell Stadium, make it a Ford Falcon and Ute theme and maybe have a car and ute fair at the showgrounds and around town, with a carnival and games (like Moomba), a Miss Geelong contest etc., and we can all travel down en masse in a motorcade of sorts.

The Saints and Hawthorn would be my next two choices.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2010, 04:39 PM
It's not a bad thing to get associated with an 'event' team. If Essendon are a big drawing team, then Essendon it should be.

However, who is a serious rival that we want to beat every year? Richmond? Adelaide? St. Kilda? Hawthorn? Carlton, obviously, but do we want to be associated with that filth?

Actually, I think our most realistic 'event' rival team is Geelong. They are also out our way West, and we could have it at Shell Stadium, make it a Ford Falcon and Ute theme and maybe have a car and ute fair at the showgrounds and around town, with a carnival and games (like Moomba), a Miss Geelong contest etc., and we can all travel down en masse in a motorcade of sorts.

The Saints and Hawthorn would be my next two choices.

I like Geelong. They have a terrific following and would be keen for an EVENT type game. Both being from the West is a good point. Maybe a Miss Bulldog Lookalike:D or Mr.

bornadog
27-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I like Geelong. They have a terrific following and would be keen for an EVENT type game. Both being from the West is a good point. Maybe a Miss Bulldog Lookalike:D or Mr.

Geelong is a good choice, however, you really want it to be at the G to pull a really big crowd.

LostDoggy
27-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Geelong is a good choice, however, you really want it to be at the G to pull a really big crowd.

Would love it to be at the G, but if we DON'T pull a really big crowd the place will feel like a graveyard. The G being so big, even a 40,000 - 50,000 crowd can seem sparse.

Also, this 'event' would be a new thing with no track record whatsoever, so you really don't want it to flop in its first year, so it should start out with the highest chance of success (ie. the measures of success should be relatively low).

My thinking was that if we packed out Kardinia Park for a few years and really get the place pumping and get some momentum and recognition for the 'event', then it could be moved to Etihad (or kept at Shell if it gets upgraded). If that packs out regularly (for a couple of years), then we could think about going to the G.

Mitcha
27-04-2010, 06:18 PM
We should not be wanting to play Geelong at Geelong ever again. There is now a healthy rivalry between the Cats and us and I am sure we could pack the G with 70,000 regularly given the right time and conditions so we should be asking for Dogs v Cats on Good Friday every year and make that day what Anzac Day is now.

LostDoggy
27-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Round 22 Every year against: the side who has most attempts of beards.

Beard Round. The promo is below..

"Theres one last stop before the road to the finals and its at the MCG where the beard will be making its last H&A appearance of <Current Year>" Come out and support the magnificent year that the beard has had. We could see crowds of 80,000+

boydogs
27-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Good thread.

I like the idea of a kids game - kids get in for free, and get a flag/sign/sticker/face painting etc.

Make it one of the low drawing games we actually play in Melbourne, shut off level 3 and promote that general admission gets you level 1 seats

This would attract a lot of families, and the next generation of supporters to the game in a match where there aren't crowds galore and a binoculars-required viewpoint from your seats

FrediKanoute
28-04-2010, 01:53 AM

We could call it the Western Muster and have a B&S Ball afterwards

LostDoggy
28-04-2010, 03:00 PM
We could call it the Western Muster and have a B&S Ball afterwards

Yee Haww!!

Break out the Akubra's and the Bundy Rum!!