PDA

View Full Version : News Story Contacts

LostDoggy
28-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Hey guys,

I'm studying journalism at Swinburne University. One of your next assignments is to write a news story where we are required to attend an event. This could be a hearing in the Magistrates Court, a local council meeting, a sporting event or anything else really. I think I'm going to go for a sporting event and was thinking of writing my story on the Williamstown vs. Port Melbourne or Williamstown vs. Werribee match. I was just wondering if it is actually possible to get interviews with the coaches at VFL level? My friend gave me Peter German's number today but I feel so weird calling someone I don't know. This is the hardest part of journalism. :mad:

Also does anyone know how people go about getting press passes and get into press conferences at AFL level? I don't understand how this works. Do you need to be a journalist at a media outlet to go to a press conference? I'd love to do it on a game at AFL level like our game Friday night but I doubt it would be possible. Getting interviews at VFL level seem hard enough for someone studying journalism.

Thoughts? Ideas?

bornadog
28-04-2010, 11:17 PM
The AFL have a media department, why don't you call them and see if you can get some advice.

LostDoggy
28-04-2010, 11:40 PM
The AFL have a media department, why don't you call them and see if you can get some advice.

Good idea. Let's just say the AFL site isn't that 'user friendly'.
All I could find was this (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82192/default.aspx).

So I'm guessing you need to be accredited to cover the AFL. I'm not really covering anything though because what I write wont be published.

bornadog
29-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Good idea. Let's just say the AFL site isn't that 'user friendly'.
All I could find was this (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82192/default.aspx).

So I'm guessing you need to be accredited to cover the AFL. I'm not really covering anything though because what I write wont be published.

Well ring Anna Mitchell at the Doggies and let her know what you are doing at Uni and see if she can lead you down the correct path.