PDA

View Full Version : Israel Folau?

LostDoggy
29-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Has been offered in principle, a $3 million/3 year deal to join Western Sydney.

Apparently Izzy's management contacted the AFL & he has already been put under the watchful eye of AFL representatives, they believe he is able to make the switch. All this according to the Footy Show tonight, Hucthy just broke the story.

Will be interesting to see if it's all true & the AFL come out stating that.

Before I Die
29-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Has been offered in principle, a $3 million/3 year deal to join Western Sydney.

Apparently Izzy's management contacted the AFL & he has already been put under the watchful eye of AFL representatives, they believe he is able to make the switch. All this according to the Footy Show tonight, Hucthy just broke the story.

Will be interesting to see if it's all true & the AFL come out stating that.

I hope it's true. The more money they splurge on non-AFL players, the less they will have to poach players from clubs like ours.

Mantis
29-04-2010, 10:22 PM
This is becoming joke.

If they were going to make a play for a RL flog why wouldn't they go for a player that grew up in the GWS region?

And didn't Izzy leave Melbourne because he missed his family and his church??.... I guess it all boils down to the amount of moolah on offer.

LostDoggy
29-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I hope it's true. The more money they splurge on non-AFL players, the less they will have to poach players from clubs like ours.

I am the opposite, i love my League & don't won't players like GI & Izzy to leave.

chef
29-04-2010, 10:34 PM
This is becoming joke.

If they were going to make a play for a RL flog why wouldn't they go for a player that grew up in the GWS region?

And didn't Izzy leave Melbourne because he missed his family and his church??.... I guess it all boils down to the amount of moolah on offer.

He did didn't he.

He will be great for marketing and worth every cent.

AndrewP6
29-04-2010, 10:54 PM
He did didn't he.

He will be great for marketing and worth every cent.

Yep, was mentioned that he'd grown up in the area.

KT31
29-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Does anyone really think these blokes will have the right skills to play AFL.
Can't kick and throw the ball more than the Crows in a pack.
As soon as they have any pressure the can fall straight to ground.(holding the ball in our game)
One or two may be able to play at the elite level but IMO and experiance they make good backman and can tackle but get them in front of goal or need a precise pass you could just recruit Sam Power.

Agree with Chef its is all about marketing.

Swoop
29-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Majority of the money used to pay his salary would actually be from the AFL and would fall outside of the salary cap as it would be considered a marketing investment.

As Hutchy stated GWS would only be paying him maybe 400k, when looking at the bigger picture and taking into consideration the youth on their initial list plus their salary exemptions it wouldn't really be that much.

Before I Die
30-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Majority of the money used to pay his salary would actually be from the AFL and would fall outside of the salary cap as it would be considered a marketing investment.

As Hutchy stated GWS would only be paying him maybe 400k, when looking at the bigger picture and taking into consideration the youth on their initial list plus their salary exemptions it wouldn't really be that much.

So the other $600k a year that would not be considered part of the salary cap would be coming from where exactly ????? Is the AFL seen as an independent employer with no direct relationship with GWS or do the concessions for the new clubs include the line
"whatever it takes to ensure a premiership" ?

Regarding the recruitment of NRL players, their real value on the field will be wholly dependent on their ability to deliver the ball by hand and foot.

Before I Die
30-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Found the answer to my question.

It appears that GWS have an inflated Salary Cap and an inflated Marketing Allowance. The reality is that the AFL is paying it all, but only half goes into the cap.

AFL may help $3m Folau bid
JESSE HOGAN
April 30, 2010

Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-may-help-3m-folau-bid-20100429-twr3.html)

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2010, 12:37 AM
As soon as they have any pressure the can fall straight to ground.(holding the ball in our game)
One or two may be able to play at the elite level but IMO they and experiance they make good backman and can tackle but get them in front of goal or need a precise pass you could just recruit Sam Power.

He needs to switch from being a power athlete to an endurance athlete. They can't teach him to run 15 km at pace overnight.

Remi Moses
30-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Just another marketing tool. Ihope he looks more a natural AUssie Rules player than Karmichael Hunt!!!Those ads Hmmmmm:eek:

chef
30-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Yep, was mentioned that he'd grown up in the area.

Yep, he grew up in the western part of Sydney and didn't move to Queensland until his mid teens.

Scorlibo
30-04-2010, 08:57 AM
All we need now is some Inglis and some Hayne and we'll have poached all of the NRL's best young talent ;)

Mofra
30-04-2010, 09:13 AM
He needs to switch from being a power athlete to an endurance athlete. They can't teach him to run 15 km at pace overnight.
Murph covered almost 18km from half forward one game.
No player has broken the 20km per game barrier yet apprently, Cross was the closest at 19.8km a game (only includes players wearing GPS equipment as far as I can tell).

Billy Slater is regarded as teh hardest working RL player, he covers up to 14km a game. I don;t think it will be too hard to get some players up to the required level, but I don't think many League players could make the switch. I'd say Folau would be better suited than Hunt, even though Hunt played Aussie Rules as a junior.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2010, 09:46 AM

How far would he run during an NRL game?

FWIW, I think he could certainly make the step up. Obviously, it's dependent on the type of role they foresee him playing, but certainly room for more 'power' athlete types in the game, and no reason at all why he can't increase his endurance fairly quickly, as he already comes from an elite training background.

LostDoggy
30-04-2010, 10:10 AM

I would be looking at him as a NicNat type -- can ruck due to incredible athleticism, can be used in mercurial bursts elsewhere. If we can teach NicNat to play, no doubt we can teach Israel to play.. the guy is a freak, and far more atheletic (and much bigger, if you can believe it, and still growing!!!) than even Naitanui, and would be a nightmare matchup in the forward half if his leaping skills transfer across (and I don't see why it wouldn't).

Only question will be around his disposal, esp. kicking.

My problem is more around the money being thrown at him -- other players in the system (AFL) have sweated their socks off to get here, only to have a player who has never played the game out-earning the lot of them based on performances in another code. Can't go down too well.

mighty_west
30-04-2010, 11:01 AM
My problem is more around the money being thrown at him -- other players in the system (AFL) have sweated their socks off to get here, only to have a player who has never played the game out-earning the lot of them based on performances in another code. Can't go down too well.

Thats just the way it is though, this along with WS being special cases, GWS would only pay him what, 30-40% of that money, the rest payed by the AFL to promote the team & game up there.

Plus all of the other allowances those teams get, the other players will be doing ok for themselves.

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I would be looking at him as a NicNat type -- can ruck due to incredible athleticism, can be used in mercurial bursts elsewhere. If we can teach NicNat to play, no doubt we can teach Israel to play.. the guy is a freak, and far more atheletic (and much bigger, if you can believe it, and still growing!!!) than even Naitanui, and would be a nightmare matchup in the forward half if his leaping skills transfer across (and I don't see why it wouldn't).

Only question will be around his disposal, esp. kicking.

Nic Nat isn't new to footy, he's was playing juniors in Perth.

Folau is 'only' 195cm. Ruck might be a bit of a stretch.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Folau is 'only' 195cm. Ruck might be a bit of a stretch.

Deep, power forward.

His leap and ball handling skills are good, and he's bloody solid. Seems to be able to read the ball ok in flight, and whilst teaching him when/where to lead may be an issue, it's something that I think can be taught/learned over time.

Mofra
30-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Deep, power forward.

His leap and ball handling skills are good, and he's bloody solid. Seems to be able to read the ball ok in flight, and whilst teaching him when/where to lead may be an issue, it's something that I think can be taught/learned over time.
Can it?

The converts to AFL I can think off the top of my head are Stynes, Kennelly, Marty Clarke, Tom Williams, Pyke. They all follow a player as defenders, with the exception being Stynes following the ball as a ruckman and Pyke trying to.

Forward instincts are much harder to teach, and even gun junior forwards like Lake & Presti have found homes in the backline as making the step up as a forward at the top level is not easy.

LostDoggy
30-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Frankly, I'm getting really sick of the rumours. Yesterday the Age had Issy signing with the Melbourne Rebels, now he's going to AFL???? I hope he stays at the Broncos, then they can't poach any Melbourne Storm stars. :mad:

Go_Dogs
30-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Can it?

Forward instincts are much harder to teach, and even gun junior forwards like Lake & Presti have found homes in the backline as making the step up as a forward at the top level is not easy.

I believe so.

Like you say, there are many examples where it hasn't worked. There are a few who have made the transition though, such as Tippett who was not viewed as a natural footballer (or forward) but has done alright (although not fantastic this year).

I certainly think that it is something that can be taught and learnt. In my opinion the modern game makes it a bit easier. Quicker ball movement, more 'space' for forwards to work into on the back of a turnover etc. Like you say, not easy, but certainly possible, and not unrealistic IMO.

Topdog
30-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Whilst Falou is a good mark and also never has to deal with anyone punching / spoiling and he always is getting kicks from side on. Marking when running at the ball is a different skill.

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Frankly, I'm getting really sick of the rumours. Yesterday the Age had Issy signing with the Melbourne Rebels, now he's going to AFL???? I hope he stays at the Broncos, then they can't poach any Melbourne Storm stars. :mad:

David Gallop has already said that even if all the Melbourne players agree to massive pay cuts to keep the team together the NRL will still insist that the team gets broken up.

You going to have to accept it, Suz, the Storm will be losing one or two very big names.

At least if the Broncos lose Folau and replace him with, for example, Ingless, they aren't really much better off.

ledge
30-04-2010, 04:23 PM
David Gallop has already said that even if all the Melbourne players agree to massive pay cuts to keep the team together the NRL will still insist that the team gets broken up.
You going to have to accept it, Suz, the Storm will be losing one or two very big names.

At least if the Broncos lose Folau and replace him with, for example, Ingless, they aren't really much better off.

Interesting discussion yesterday on SEN about this point and "Hungry" mentioned he would love to see the Storm go to court on that one, he gave the impression the Storm would win the case easily to keep players.

I missed his in depth reasons but it does make a good discussion on who are the NRL to stop a player playing for who they wish?

Discrimination comes to mind for a start.

Sedat
30-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Mike Pyke is a better physical specimen than Israel Folau - he is also taller and currently has better endurance levels, which makes him far more suited to the ruck role than Folau. And yet Pike is barely a fringe AFL player at best. AFL is very tough to learn and master for those who have not lived and breathed the game growing up. Having said that, it isn't beyond the realms of possibility given Folau's age that he could make the transition to a semi-decent player by his mid 20's, but anyone expecting miracles will be disappointed.

Karmichael Hunt did play AFL as a junior so at least he has some historical grounding - Folau has absolutely none. He will certainly raise eyebrows and interest levels in the sport in that region, which is exactly what the AFL desperately needs.

Hotdog60
30-04-2010, 11:00 PM
It wouldn't matter about the salary cap, because you can pay a player that hasn't been a registered AFL player anything and it's not included.

I mentioned in a post ages ago that the Dogs should go chasing some African American track and field guys because their built like brick shit-houses and are fast. We just need to teach them the game.

So a Rugby convert wouldn't affect their cap.

It happened with Hunt at the GC

Here (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26939150-23211,00.html?from=public_rss)

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Interesting discussion yesterday on SEN about this point and "Hungry" mentioned he would love to see the Storm go to court on that one, he gave the impression the Storm would win the case easily to keep players.

I missed his in depth reasons but it does make a good discussion on who are the NRL to stop a player playing for who they wish?

Discrimination comes to mind for a start.

Wouldn't be possible for the NRL to dictate where each player must go & if it went to court it would be won by the Storm players, restriction of trade etc...

Topdog
01-05-2010, 05:25 PM
It wouldn't matter about the salary cap, because you can pay a player that hasn't been a registered AFL player anything and it's not included.

I mentioned in a post ages ago that the Dogs should go chasing some African American track and field guys because their built like brick shit-houses and are fast. We just need to teach them the game.

So a Rugby convert wouldn't affect their cap.

It happened with Hunt at the GC

Here (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26939150-23211,00.html?from=public_rss)

It's a bit different when the AFL helps to pay for half of the contract. I would be livid if my team payed a guy who has never player the game that sort of money.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2010, 08:29 PM
One or two may be able to play at the elite level but IMO and experiance they make good backman and can tackle but get them in front of goal or need a precise pass you could just recruit Sam Power.

They want to be careful IMO as the state may turn on the AFL for poaching the big guns of the comp and the backlash may be they don't come to the games.... They are a funny state afterall;)

They will get a run in the 2nd's for year so they should be able to tell how they will go from that. The marketing use of these guys could be huge but would it be better than a Ablett or a Franklin?

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM

If this is true so much for the salary cap and control of co-payments.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Rumor is he will sign for GWS tomorrow.

This is all i could find on the net.

MELBOURNE, Australia- Rugby League star Israel Folau is set to make a risky move to the sport of Australian rules Football, reports said.

Sports media in Melbourne, Australia reported the star Rugby League star would be the second such player to move to the Australian Football League.

Israel Folau was set to sign for new AFL team Greater Western Sydney, the second AFL team for Australia’s largest city, Sydney.

Folau is a former player with the Melbourne Storm National Rugby League club and currently plays with the Brisbane Bronco’s.

Folau gained a reputation for his high flying ball grabs, a skill much sought after in Australian Football.

Another Brisbane Bronco Rugby League player, Karmichael Hunt, signed with another new AFL club, Gold Coast, last year in a surprising move.

Hunt also wnet to play Rugby Union in France, before beginning his career in Australian Football with the Gold Coast today.

Sports TV network Fox Sports reported the AFL would hold a press conference with Folau to announce the signing with GWS.

http://newsolio.com/israel-folau-moves-to-afl-western-sydney-club,10329

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Hutchy just confirmed on Footy Classifieds, that it will happen.

3 year deal.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 10:52 PM
May 31, 2010 - 10:42PM

Giant rugby league centre Israel Folau will inform the Brisbane Broncos on Tuesday he is accepting a massive offer to switch to the AFL.

The 21 year-old, who has played eight Tests for Australia and six State of Origin games for Queensland, will sign a three-year deal with expansion AFL club Greater Western Sydney, who enter the competition in 2012.

The deal is worth a reported $3 million.

Link (http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/izzy-going-to-afl-you-bet-20100531-wrim.html)

bornadog
31-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Hutchy just confirmed on Footy Classifieds, that it will happen.

3 year deal.

Mike Sheahan beat him On The Couch:p

Throughandthrough
31-05-2010, 11:11 PM
all he has to do now is learn how to kick, mark and handball and he will have 25% of the game sorted.

comrade
01-06-2010, 06:29 AM
all he has to do now is learn how to kick, mark and handball and he will have 25% of the game sorted.

It's not about whether he can ever actually play the game. He's a symbolic signing, funded from the marketing account.

Israel Falou > decades of tv and print advertising expenditure

chef
01-06-2010, 07:45 AM
It's not about whether he can ever actually play the game. He's a symbolic signing, funded from the marketing account.

Israel Falou > decades of tv and print advertising expenditure

Exactly, this is going to put GWS on the map. In term of marketing for this club and the AFL brand he is still being under paid for what they are going to get(remembering the Hunt defection was the biggest football story ever(of all the codes)).

Bulldog Revolution
01-06-2010, 11:04 AM
All said he is a very exciting athletic package and I think it will be very interesting to see how he develops

Would centre half back be a great spot to start Izzie on the basis that he is predominantly used to running in one direction?

Desipura
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
All said he is a very exciting athletic package and I think it will be very interesting to see how he develops

Would centre half back be a great spot to start Izzie on the basis that he is predominantly used to running in one direction?

I would be very surprised if he played 50 AFL games.

chef
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM

I agree, but his number one priority(to the AFL anyway) is not to play games. The interest he will create in GWS will be phenomenal and If he does turn out to be a half decent player that is a bonus IMO.

Bulldog Revolution
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM

However, given that they will be trying to teach him to play what position would you start with?

Desipura
01-06-2010, 11:14 AM
However, given that they will be trying to teach him to play what position would you start with?
back pocket, less damage

Bulldog Revolution
01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
back pocket, less damage

At 195cm? Would he match up Alwyn Davey?

I just assumed they would try to turn him into a key defender, or consider a follower, roaming type role?

Desipura
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
At 195cm? Would he match up Alwyn Davey?

I just assumed they would try to turn him into a key defender, or consider a follower, roaming type role?
Play him at centre half back and hope the other defenders can cover for him, similar to Tom Williams.

jazzadogs
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
I read a report in which he said he wants to play Full Forward (obviously he was only talking hypothetically at that stage, because he hadn't/hasn't signed). Got the marking power and strength, not so sure about the kicking ability or smarts.

mighty_west
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Life must be pretty good for Israel, take the money & run i say, do his 3 years, cash in, then head back to Rugby after that were he can go back to being a genuine superstar.

Unless the AFL continue chipping in with his "promotional" funds after the 3 years, you wouldn't expect an athlete [as good a athlete as he may be] with no footy smarts what so ever [see Tom Williams, struggles against the better sides] would demand big bucks after his first 3 years, especially when GWS poach 8 or so un contracted players, plus having so many first round selected players on their list, they would have to have quite a few gems in that batch, just like GC17.

mighty_west
01-06-2010, 12:44 PM
I read a report in which he said he wants to play Full Forward (obviously he was only talking hypothetically at that stage, because he hadn't/hasn't signed). Got the marking power and strength, not so sure about the kicking ability or smarts.

I think many of us here on Woof grew up watching Templeton & Beasley live, and wanted to play full forward for the Dogs one day...:D

Topdog
01-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Exactly, this is going to put GWS on the map. In term of marketing for this club and the AFL brand he is still being under paid for what they are going to get(remembering the Hunt defection was the biggest football story ever(of all the codes)).

I've heard this bandied about a lot but I just don't buy it. Besides Mike on On the Couch who is still talking about Hunt? Does anything think that people will go to an AFL game to see if Hunt is any good?

Personally I don't see it happening and whilst it is getting them on the map now, people will forget about it in 16 months.

chef
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
I've heard this bandied about a lot but I just don't buy it. Besides Mike on On the Couch who is still talking about Hunt? Does anything think that people will go to an AFL game to see if Hunt is any good?

Personally I don't see it happening and whilst it is getting them on the map now, people will forget about it in 16 months.

You would need someone who lives on the Gold Coast to answer that one as that is where it counts.

LostDoggy
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I think it a ridiculous situation..

Agree with whats been said on SEN this afternoon. How is it fair that they throw $6mil at one player who has never played the game and is just a marketing ploy that the people of Western Sydney will see right through.. compared to some rookies, elevated rookies or first year players who have been playing AFL all their life and earn $25-100k (estimate) until they are an established player.

$6mil..1 'Franchise' player..why not pump that into the clubs that compete in the TAC cup (one SEN caller suggested) give them a helping hand towards bright young players coming through the system and some that don't quite make it. Its a huge gamble..its say putting a $6mil towards your favourite roulette number, its going to come up at some point but it also may not ever come up. Spread the money around elsewhere and you will have a better success rate.

I hope it all backfires on both GWS & GC..and we see these 2 boys back in rugby within the first 2-3 years. One last point: They are athletic, yes..but do you think they have those first 16 years as a kid/junior at home/school kicking the footy around, those training drills? No, they are behind by that much. You think Izzy & Karm. Hunt have always dreamed of playing AFL? No chance. Unfair.

Yes some of these views were mentioned on SEN today and I agree with them all hence im voicing and sharing them to be discussed.

Topdog
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
You would need someone who lives on the Gold Coast to answer that one as that is where it counts.

Well I'll go out on a limb and say that no one is talking about him. There is a heck of a lot of interest in GAJ though.

AndrewP6
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Care factor is pretty low, from where I sit. I'll check him out to see if he can actually play at all, but that's about it.

LostDoggy
01-06-2010, 06:37 PM

I am pretty confident he will play more then 50 games.

GVGjr
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM

I think that is the safer bet.

The most likely scenario is that after this contract expires he will switch to Rugby Union.

jazzadogs
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Whilst people might not be talking about him right now, I think the initial buzz did a lot for making them known in NSW/QLD, and his debut in the VFL (this week?) will undoubtedly get a bit of attention. When GC debut in the AFL, I'm sure they will use Hunt's first official game as a promotional tool.

I think Folau will do a lot better than Hunt, but maybe that's just because I've seen more of Izzy from his Storm days...

chef
01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Well I'll go out on a limb and say that no one is talking about him. There is a heck of a lot of interest in GAJ though.

Now that he's back in the country, training and about to play his first game there might by a little interest in him.

Throughandthrough
01-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I think its good for the game. Even if he is poo, the TV rights will be worth more which mean a % of which goes to the dogs.

Simple economics.

The Coon Dog
01-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Can you really see all the little Muslim kids in West Sydney coming home & telling Mum & Dad that they love Israel? ;)

LostDoggy
01-06-2010, 10:08 PM

I live in QLD and wont be making an effort to watch live what would be possibly the worst gamble in AFL history come crashing down. I mean, these teams are splashing all this cash into guys that will probably play most of the year in the 2nds.

The AFL and more specifically GWS & GC will be a laughing stock over the next few years as any credibility the League has built up in these NRL states will be destroyed. QLD & NSW, where might I add there has been a very positive swing of code support, will be sent back to the 80s mentality where AFL fans were outcasts.
I promise that rugby people will smile to them self when the players that have been poached from their comp fail miserably and support walks away from the AFL.

I don't mean to be harsh on Izzy and Hunt, but they don't know the game at that level and it would take a few years till they are there. By that stage know one will care, no one will watch and no one will notice the clubs of GWS & GC fold. Lets just hope a NBL type domino affect doesn't happen were leagues are restructured?

Maybe in a few years the AFL will capitulate to admitting Tassie should have got one of the new licences?

Sockeye Salmon
01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Maybe in a few years the AFL will capitulate to admitting Tassie should have got one of the new licences?

I don't know about Issy and Hunt but I reckon there's more chance of Glenn Lazarus playing 100 games of AFL than for Dimwitriou admitting he got something wrong.

Mantis
02-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Kevin Sheedy was on SEN this morning to speak of the Folau signing.

He said that from the reported $1.3mil/ year he will receive the 'footy' component of this would be less than $300K. Said he will be used to sell the club over the next 18 months as they aren't allowed to sign an AFL player and they need to get the interest up.

When asked if there is a chance that Folau wouldn't even play a game he denied that thought and said he would because, 'I am the coach and he will play'.

Mofra
02-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Agree with whats been said on SEN this afternoon. How is it fair that they throw $6mil at one player who has never played the game and is just a marketing ploy that the people of Western Sydney will see right through..
One media estimate is that Hunt alone has already generated over $7m in free advertising for the AFL, and will generate more as his AFL debut nears. Folau must command something similar given the media interest, and in purely marketing terms it is a brilliant coup for the AFL.

After reading the reaction on League Unlimited, people have no idea how scared the NRL is of the AFL. There is more AFL discussion there than NRL discussion.

mighty_west
02-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Kevin Sheedy was on SEN this morning to speak of the Folau signing.

He said that from the reported $1.3mil/ year he will receive the 'footy' component of this would be less than $300K. Said he will be used to sell the club over the next 18 months as they aren't allowed to sign an AFL player and they need to get the interest up.

When asked if there is a chance that Folau wouldn't even play a game he denied that thought and said he would because, 'I am the coach and he will play'.

Gotta love Sheedy, thats a typical thing for Sheeds to say, and exactly why he was the perfect fit for GWS.

At the very least, turn Israel into a defensive midfilder, he has the run & tackling ability.

The Coon Dog
02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Gotta love Sheedy, thats a typical thing for Sheeds to say, and exactly why he was the perfect fit for GWS.

At the very least, turn Israel into a defensive midfilder, he has the run & tackling ability.

Sheedy was once asked whether he ever got over ruled at match committee meetings at Essendon.

He said once. The player he wanted to play had to play in the reserves & the player he was given spent the whole game on the bench.

He never got over ruled after that!

mighty_west
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Sheedy was once asked whether he ever got over ruled at match committee meetings at Essendon.

He said once. The player he wanted to play had to play in the reserves & the player he was given spent the whole game on the bench.

He never got over ruled after that!

Love it!...and thats exactly what you want from your coach, his neck is the one on the chopping block if things don't go his way.

Mantis
02-06-2010, 12:08 PM

So he has the ability to run over 15km thru the space of a game? He is pretty much the same size as Barry Hall and I don't think Barry would go all that well in the midfield.

mighty_west
02-06-2010, 12:18 PM
So he has the ability to run over 15km thru the space of a game? He is pretty much the same size as Barry Hall and I don't think Barry would go all that well in the midfield.

Well, he has 2 years to get fit enough to play AFL, and with his body type, i see it more a Pavlich shape than a Barry Hall shape.

We see rookies come in each year, we know it takes them time to adjust & get fit enough at the levels required, when Cooney first started out, when Griffen first started out, they were no where near the levels of fitness expected, it took them a few years, Israel has that time to adapt, and get AFL fit.

I guess at the end, it all depends on how commited he is to the cause.

Look at Pavlich's body in the under 18's, and he was a porky pie, playing just 3 kg's off his weight right now, and he is what, 10 years older, he was just a forward, but got his body right to play in the midfield, all it takes is alot of dedication.

mighty_west
02-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Cameron Ling is another player, when you saw him play as a full forward in the under 18's, looked like a fat slob, he goes alright hanging off the best midfielders.

Sockeye Salmon
02-06-2010, 01:26 PM

He's never trained as an endurance athlete. It will take him years to build up the tank to play midfield.

Mofra
02-06-2010, 01:51 PM
He's never trained as an endurance athlete. It will take him years to build up the tank to play midfield.
If ever. I dragged this up yesterday:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/05/04/changing-roles/

Bear in mind this is the Storm's own physical conditioning coach, who would know Folau better than most.

So without showing any disrespect at all to Folau, it’s really a double whammy: no kicking skills and lacking the requisite aerobic capacity.

chef
02-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I live in QLD

Do you live on the Gold Coast?

As I would be interested to know how much hype is around with Hunt back in town. Maybe Anthony could answer this?

chef
02-06-2010, 04:40 PM
One media estimate is that Hunt alone has already generated over $7m in free advertising for the AFL, and will generate more as his AFL debut nears. Folau must command something similar given the media interest, and in purely marketing terms it is a brilliant coup for the AFL.
After reading the reaction on League Unlimited, people have no idea how scared the NRL is of the AFL. There is more AFL discussion there than NRL discussion.

It certainly is.