PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Hargrave

LostDoggy
18-06-2007, 01:21 PM
I am a fan of this bloke but has anybody in the history of the game, given away so many uncalled for free kicks?

If he can find a way of pulling an opponent's jumper or pushing him in the back, he will do it.

The classic was the handballing deliberately "out of bounds" when trying to rush a point!!!

Five "frees against" for the Freo game. THis is diabolical for a backman.

Unfortunately, given where he plays each free can be converted to a goal.

GVGjr
18-06-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm a huge fan of his and think a few of the free kicks he is giving up is because he is playing a bit of of his weight divison. The handball out of bounds was probably assisted by a slight push at the wrong time but I agree that it was fairly lax.

Harris used to make mistakes like this a couple of seasons back as well and I'm hoping Hargrave will end up developing along the same lines.

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm a huge fan of his and think a few of the free kicks he is giving up is because he is playing a bit of of his weight divison. The handball out of bounds was probably assisted by a slight push at the wrong time but I agree that it was fairly lax.

Harris used to make mistakes like this a couple of seasons back as well and I'm hoping Hargrave will end up developing along the same lines.

He has given away a team high 20 frees and received 11

Hopefully you are right GVGjr, he brings a lot of other good stuff to the team - hes 9th for posessions on the season, 4th for marks

Go_Dogs
18-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I think he has some really good attributes, and think that he would probably give away less frees playing on smaller opponents a bit further up the ground. He often does give away some silly free kicks though, and it's something he should continue to try to tone down.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Hargrave would be far more damaging as a wingman.

He has the pace, the height and he has good skills and can take a mark.

Unfortunately he has had to play as the second defensive tall for a few years now, basically all the time playing out of his weight division.

Once Williams develops though, I think he'll be pushed up the ground, playing anywhere that we need him. In an 'Embley' type of role, where he can play wing, half back or even half forward.

The day we have the luxury of doing this will be a huge bonus to the side IMHO.

Bulldog1954
18-06-2007, 09:11 PM
He has improved vastly over the last two seasons but he still has the odd brain burst and does something stupid. He is similar to Minson in that way, both tough and attack the footy but sometimes do something dumb which takes away from it

Dry Rot
18-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm a bit more forgiving, since he's always playing on bigger bastards.

Still room for improvement re frees.

LostDoggy
18-06-2007, 10:34 PM
The classic was the handballing deliberately "out of bounds" when trying to rush a point!!!
Unfortunately, given where he plays each free can be converted to a goal.

I have no problem in this one.
This one was right at the end of the game, the contest was over, right idea, just poor execution and it wasn't converted into a goal either.

alwaysadog
18-06-2007, 10:36 PM
For a player who has spent nearly 100% of his game time in defence he is a very accurate and long shot for goal even when under pressure. The wing would let him play in a freer way. Hope the day comes when we have the luxury of letting him explore that role.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 12:56 AM
I have major doubts about this guy after watching him in finals, i don't think he is capable of being able to produce in big games.

Under pressure he makes very bad decisions & his ball use is terrible during this immense pressure that finals brings, i have liked Shaggy for a long time, but i don't think he is up to the big time crunch finals.

Sedat
05-09-2010, 01:02 AM
I've loved Shaggy for a long time but he has had a mare in 2010. He'd have to lead the AFL in the "long kicks to nobody in particular" stat.

jazzadogs
05-09-2010, 01:02 AM
His go to move under any pressure is: no matter which way he's facing, hack the ball in our direction however he can, generally around the body. He doesn't look, or think about where this kick will actually go. He just gets rid of it as quickly as possible.

He seems to have gone back to what he was a few years ago...

Mantis
05-09-2010, 01:04 AM
I've loved Shaggy for a long time but he has had a mare in 2010. He'd have to lead the AFL in the "long kicks to nobody in particular" stat.

If this was on Facebook I would say 'like'.

His field kicking was shitful.

Remi Moses
05-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Agree entirely leads the comp in panic kicks to nobody. For a senior player very ordinary composure. As for Gilbee he has to lead the league in having tackles broken and half hearted efforts

anfo27
05-09-2010, 01:12 AM
has there ever been a more appropriate nickname?

jazzadogs
05-09-2010, 01:38 AM
has there ever been a more appropriate nickname?
What do you call him?

'hack the ball away under pressure, with no thought of the consequences'?

anfo27
05-09-2010, 01:40 AM
What do you call him?

'hack the ball away under pressure, with no thought of the consequences'?

the way he runs around out there he is a dead ringer for shaggy off Scobby Doo.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Agree entirely leads the comp in panic kicks to nobody. For a senior player very ordinary composure. As for Gilbee he has to lead the league in having tackles broken and half hearted efforts

What has happened to Gilbee this year? He trembles with the ball in hand.

AndrewP6
05-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Not a massive fan, but since my active return to footy viewing (2007), gained an appreciation for his work. Just not in 2010.

westdog54
05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
If this was on Facebook I would say 'like'.

His field kicking was shitful.

Couldn't sum it up any better myself.

I've always been a big fan of Shaggy, but my godfather, that was about the worst game I have ever seen him play. If anyone can think of a worse one I'll stand corrected.

There was a passage of play, I think it was late in the 3rd quarter, where he got the ball on a half forward flank, had about 30 metres in front of him to run the ball inside 50.

3 years ago he would have run on and slotted a goal. Last night he hacked it forward and prayed a teammate marked it. A rushed panicked decision from a player who is capable of so much better.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Couldn't sum it up any better myself.

I've always been a big fan of Shaggy, but my godfather, that was about the worst game I have ever seen him play. If anyone can think of a worse one I'll stand corrected.

There was a passage of play, I think it was late in the 3rd quarter, where he got the ball on a half forward flank, had about 30 metres in front of him to run the ball inside 50.

3 years ago he would have run on and slotted a goal. Last night he hacked it forward and prayed a teammate marked it. A rushed panicked decision from a player who is capable of so much better.

Not a great game by Shaggy but its funny how our supporters have the same old players they like to bag. Shaggy, Gia are two that have copped it over the years. We all remeber those couple of awful kicks when Shaggy just bangs it on his boot to no one, but we don't remeber that Harbrow has 13 kicks with 23% effieciency and not one word on any of the forums.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Not a great game by Shaggy but its funny how our supporters have the same old players they like to bag. Shaggy, Gia are two that have copped it over the years. We all remeber those couple of awful kicks when Shaggy just bangs it on his boot to no one, but we don't remeber that Harbrow has 13 kicks with 23% effieciency and not one word on any of the forums.

I was thinking that last night. Harbrow seems genuinely immune from criticism, I think it's due to fans believing 'at least he is trying to create/break lines'. That's fair enough a lot of the time but boy he does the Shaggy kick a fair bit.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I was thinking that last night. Harbrow seems genuinely immune from criticism, I think it's due to fans believing 'at least he is trying to create/break lines'. That's fair enough a lot of the time but boy he does the Shaggy kick a fair bit.

Shaggy at around 53%, not good either.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Harbrow has been doing that for sometime now, i have noticed a lot of his kicks seemed rushed. He either thinks there is pressure behind him, or he runs to fast & doesn't steady up when kicking.

westdog54
05-09-2010, 05:46 PM

In fairness, you're right.

For me the difference last night was that Harbrow just missed targets. A lot of targets, but there was some intent there.

For me 'when Shaggy just bangs it on his boot to no one', it just strikes me as thoughtless, panicked football.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
In fairness, you're right.

For me the difference last night was that Harbrow just missed targets. A lot of targets, but there was some intent there.

For me 'when Shaggy just bangs it on his boot to no one', it just strikes me as thoughtless, panicked football.

Agreed, however, either way the ball is turned over and in a final you have to be deadly accurate. Cross did the same with his kicks as does Boyd. We cannot afford to have these players all turning over the ball. Both Gilbee and Gia were at 71% which you expect.

azabob
05-09-2010, 05:54 PM

I commented on the game day thread last night I was most disapointed with Harbrow. Not only is his kicking poor, but last night he fumbeled and over ran the footy constintanly.

mjp
05-09-2010, 05:54 PM
For me it is because I am convinced Harbrow is leaving and it feels like I am wasting energy talking about him.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I commented on the game day thread last night I was most disapointed with Harbrow. Not only is his kicking poor, but last night he fumbeled and over ran the footy constintanly.

Needs to play down back, he seems lost in the middle of the ground.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 05:56 PM
For me it is because I am convinced Harbrow is leaving and it feels like I am wasting energy talking about him.

He is leaving.

Before I Die
05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I have never been a fan and I have never understood the level of support he receives on WOOf or from Eade. He has had the odd good defensive game, but his only real strength seems to be the ability to drift off his player to the dead wing where he receives an uncontested ball, and then under zero pressure, delivers into the forward line. Harbrow leaving may save him, but I am hoping Howard comes on very quickly.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Same.

Been like that for a while now, too.

Before I Die
05-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Harbrow has been doing that for sometime now, i have noticed a lot of his kicks seemed rushed. He either thinks there is pressure behind him, or he runs to fast & doesn't steady up when kicking.

Running out of the backline he can kick wide to players streaming into space on the wings. Taking the ball in the mid-field he needs to spot up a target in a crowded forward line. Another level of skill is required which he doesn't appear to have.

Greystache
05-09-2010, 07:09 PM
He kicks the ball out on the full under no pressure more often than any other experienced player in the AFL. He is a prime example of our senior players who go to water when the game steps up a level.