PDA

View Full Version : I hate Saints footy!

hotdog
30-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Enough said. I hate it!:(

EasternWest
30-04-2010, 11:12 PM
It's boring and stupid. And it's outsmarted us, yet again.

Hotdog60
30-04-2010, 11:14 PM
We needed to take our opportunities and didn't.

LostDoggy
30-04-2010, 11:16 PM

Bingo. We missed shots and gave away cheap goals.

KT31
30-04-2010, 11:16 PM
They didn't out smart us, we played on the back foot and didn't take our chances.
30 metres out and try a smarty pants pass over the top instead of putting it through the middle.
Next Captain has to have some balls and take the game on!!!:mad:

EasternWest
30-04-2010, 11:18 PM

Wow, how unlike our team, forever.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Bingo. We missed shots and gave away cheap goals.

Dejavu, PreLim all over again, only worse in that we had opportunities to kick away to an unassailable lead.

What shits me is that the media will bang on about how strong and brave the Saints were, and will forget that for 99% of the game played just about the worst style of footy imaginable.

EasternWest
30-04-2010, 11:19 PM
[/B]
They didn't out smart us, we played on the back foot and didn't take our chances.
30 metres out and try a smarty pants pass over the top instead of putting it through the middle.
Next Captain has to have some balls and take the game on!!!:mad:

Respectfully, I disagree. We know exactly what they'll bring, yet we can't find a way to beat them.

KT31
30-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Respectfully, I disagree. We know exactly what they'll bring, yet we can't find a way to beat them.

Kick straight and take you opertunities and you win.

LostDoggy
30-04-2010, 11:23 PM
I thought Leon Cameron's talk at 3 quarter time almost seemed like he expected it to happen...

EasternWest
30-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Kick straight and take you opertunities and you win.

Yup. And we didn't do it last year, we didn't do it in the prelim and we didn't do it tonight. It can't all be skill errors. I think they're in our head.

DOG GOD
30-04-2010, 11:26 PM
On thursday night league teams, Shawry and Parko commented that Saints are the worst team to watch live with their defensive B.S...cant wait to see what they have to say this week.

Absolute joke and a disgrace to the game. Grant and Gia shouldve sealed the game in the first 10 mins of the last but didnt. I couldnt watch the end once they hit the front, and one of my most hated ex-friends who is a saints man flew over for the game which makes it even worse :(

Remi Moses
30-04-2010, 11:26 PM
I didn't attend tonight because I could envisage this happening!Why just we bloody just play to our strengths instead of falling for this Sh1t football! Worst Loss for the season:mad:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-04-2010, 11:30 PM
On thursday night league teams, Shawry and Parko commented that Saints are the worst team to watch live with their defensive B.S...cant wait to see what they have to say this week.

Absolute joke and a disgrace to the game. Grant and Gia shouldve sealed the game in the first 10 mins of the last but didnt. I couldnt watch the end once they hit the front, and one of my most hated ex-friends who is a saints man flew over for the game which makes it even worse :(

I hear you, my best mate is a Saints fan, and I am not looking forward to speaking to him.

LostDoggy
30-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Worst game ever!

Rocco Jones
30-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I would cop any type of Dogs footy that gets the results as much as Saints Footy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I would cop any type of Dogs footy that gets the results as much as Saints Footy.

I'm not certain it was Saints footy that won it for them tonight. I reckon there would be a number of other teams out there that if in the position we were in with 12 minutes left would've either taken the opportunities that presented and or would not have made the critical errors that allowed the Saints to score.

KT31
30-04-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm not certain it was Saints footy that won it for them tonight. I reckon there would be a number of other teams out there that if in the position we were in with 12 minutes left would've either taken the opportunities that presented and or would not have made the critical errors that allowed the Saints to score.

Agrree totally.

LostDoggy
30-04-2010, 11:44 PM
This is actually the worst.

I can't be bothered getting super angry over it, because i'm not suprised. I love it how used to this **** I am. Yay.

KT31
30-04-2010, 11:46 PM
This is actually the worst.

I can't be bothered getting super angry over it, because i'm not suprised. I love it how used to this **** I am. Yay.

Went to one of my Pups comp presentations tonight and he did really well and now having watched the last quarter I'm so p1ss3d!!

Rocco Jones
30-04-2010, 11:46 PM

I actually agree with you there. I think maybe we're just not as good as we (or the footy public) really thinks we are. Our 3 wins have come against sides that have won 1 game between them.

When's the last time we won a game against a quality side when the heat was on? We beat the Cats in R21 last year but what did they have to play for?

w3design
30-04-2010, 11:53 PM
This was a bitter bitter pill to swallow. I don't even know where to start. I wonder what Rocket can possibly say to them. The errors we made in those dying minutes just feel like they're imprinted in my brain and on re-wind.

Have we over-rated our team? It's hard to make a sensible assessment of where we're at at the moment.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I actually agree with you there. I think maybe we're just not as good as we (or the footy public) really thinks we are. Our 3 wins have come against sides that have won 1 game between them.

When's the last time we won a game against a quality side when the heat was on? We beat the Cats in R21 last year but what did they have to play for?

And that's the thing that is going to really put some doubt in the team.
As much as I hated the way the game was played tonight, I really thought for 95% of the game we had shown we had learnt something from our loss in the PreLim. We looked to have a well designed response to their style and refused to play into their hands by bombing it long constantly. When there was no opportunity to go forward we did not just go for a hail mary, but tried to back our players skill to retain possession and refuse to play into their hands.
Unfortunately it may just be true that our ability is not quite up to it, and that's something that scares me as if the players believe this, then we could be in for some trouble as the season progresses.
I look forward to seeing how the group responds now.

Rocco Jones
30-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Have we over-rated our team? It's hard to make a sensible assessment of where we're at at the moment.

Certainly looks like it. We just go to water when the big time pressure is on. You can have all the talent in the world but if you're not up for the big moments, you're not going to win big games. We have so many players who want the ball as much as the nerd in PE when the heat is on.

Ozza
30-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Everyone can hate 'saints footy'as much as they want - but they found a way to win without their best player. Their team stick relentlessly to their game plan and structure - and there is a stack to admire about their group.

They played the last quarter like winners and all of their team willed them over the line. We had Harbrow and Cooney desperate for us in the dying minutes - they had 22 of them desperate.

LostDoggy
30-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Kick it to hall!!!! Every week we do it but tonight!!! Our losses have been because we have relied on Barry to get the ball. Tonight we did the opposite, but tonight was the reason we recruited Barry.

Ozza
01-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Kick it to hall!!!! Every week we do it but tonight!!! Our losses have been because we have relied on Barry to get the ball. Tonight we did the opposite, but tonight was the reason we recruited Barry.

At some point Barry could have attempted leading, dashing back to the square - standing on his head or something. Baz did nothing but stand still 30 metres out from goal bringing all the saints defenders central in our 50. It was a pathetic display.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
That may be so. But kick it somewhere instead of eventually losing it in and copping a goal on the counter attack.

Mantis
01-05-2010, 12:04 AM
They played the last quarter like winners and all of their team willed them over the line. We had Harbrow and Cooney desperate for us in the dying minutes - they had 22 of them desperate.

Their players just kept running.. Our's were standing around in the middle of the ground unable to push any harder.

Aker told us in the pre-season that we had taken our fitness to new levels as we were doing work that others could just dream about it.... I'm yet to see the results so far Aker.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Not for me. Do you want to watch that crap every week? I want my cake and to eat it too. Give me the Cats style every day. I'm so glad they won the flag last year against that crap.

Reminds me of the boring Italian national football teams in the World Cups of '90, '94, '98 and '02. Play defensive. Get them on the counter. What happened every time. Justice of course. Out on penalties in '90, '94, and '98. Lose by golden goal in '02 and also in the Euro '00 final. Crap football did not prevail. (Yes they won the thing in 2006, but they played a much more positive style)

I hope crap saints football never wins a flag.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Not for me. Do you want to watch that crap every week? I want my cake and to eat it too. Give me the Cats style every day. I'm so glad they won the flag last year against that crap.

Reminds me of the boring Italian national football teams in the World Cups of '90, '94, '98 and '02. Play defensive. Get them on the counter. What happened every time. Justice of course. Out on penalties in '90, '94, and '98. Lose by golden goal in '02 and also in the Euro '00 final. Crap football did not prevail. (Yes they won the thing in 2006, but they played a much more positive style)

Look if we aren't going to win a flag, I hope we are beautiful but if it means winning a flag, I would tolerate anything we dished up. I don't know about you but this whole lose every big game thing is pretty awful for my eyes.

KT31
01-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Give me a flag and then I will be picky.

[I hope crap saints football never wins a flag.
Sydney already have.

w3design
01-05-2010, 12:07 AM
They wear you down. It's okay to be patient with the zone, but we didn't take chances at times to move quickly at times.

Again, we have senior players not nailing the crunch goals. Gia, you should have kicked that sealer. Gilbee's misses in these big games, a recurring nightmare. Mitch had a shot from 40, ok, maybe it was no certainty but to go backwards to Ego outside 50.

Williams giving away that 50. Barry and the reversed free. A bad fumble from Brian. They all led to goals. At the time they didn't seem to matter as much as we were so dominant. We should have been 7 up at the last break.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Here here Angelo

angelopetraglia
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Give me a flag and then I will be picky.

Sydney already have.

StKilda have taken it to another extreme and I hope that there crap never ever ever wins a flag.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Overall we played well. We just fell into st. Kildas trap

Ozza
01-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Why does a 'good game' have to be defined by plenty of goals?

The pressure element of the game (particularly the first 3 quarters) was tremendous and I was tense for the whole match.

Potting St.Kilda's way of winning - to your non-Bulldog friends will sound like sour grapes/sore losing. I don't recommend it.

KT31
01-05-2010, 12:11 AM

Were you watching the same game as the rest of us?:confused:

Ozza
01-05-2010, 12:13 AM
They wear you down. It's okay to be patient with the zone, but we didn't take chances at times to move quickly at times.

Again, we have senior players not nailing the crunch goals. Gia, you should have kicked that sealer. Gilbee's misses in these big games, a recurring nightmare. Mitch had a shot from 40, ok, maybe it was no certainty but to go backwards to Ego outside 50.

Williams giving away that 50. Barry and the reversed free. A bad fumble from Brian. They all led to goals. At the time they didn't seem to matter as much as we were so dominant. We should have been 7 up at the last break.

I'm told when Williams got to the bench he didn't even know he'd given away the 50.
Talk about no awareness - Milne was 55 out and would never have kicked a goal from there - how many times will stupidity cost us before blokes get their heads screwed on. Hall too, obviously.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 12:13 AM
I went home at 3/4 time.

If every team played like that I'd give the game away.

Mantis
01-05-2010, 12:14 AM

We outplayed a team for the best part of 3 & 1/2 quarters yet managed just 6 goals.

While our defensive pressure and tackling was first rate we didn't play the style of footy we should have when in possession.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Were you watching the same game as the rest of us?:confused:

Ah yes.
If we won we all would be praising how good the majority of players played. We lost because of a few silly turn overs and a few missed chances. The saints were in the same boat, we just choked under pressure when it mattered most.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 12:23 AM
We outplayed a team for the best part of 3 & 1/2 quarters yet managed just 6 goals.

While our defensive pressure and tackling was first rate we didn't play the style of footy we should have when in possession.

We couldn't play our style as st. Kilda played there style and in the end it worked. Like most of our supporters around me screaming at our players for chipping it around. We tried to open up the game, but couldn't.

Dogz-21
01-05-2010, 12:24 AM
At some point Barry could have attempted leading, dashing back to the square - standing on his head or something. Baz did nothing but stand still 30 metres out from goal bringing all the saints defenders central in our 50. It was a pathetic display.

The radio commentators said that Barry Hall made 25 leads in a 10 minute period and was ignored everytime and gave up leading after that.

Ozza
01-05-2010, 12:26 AM
The radio commentators said that Barry Hall made 25 leads in a 10 minute period and was ignored everytime and gave up leading after that.

I'd say the radio commenators were getting carried away with what constitutes a lead.

KT31
01-05-2010, 12:26 AM
We couldn't play our style as st. Kilda played there style and in the end it worked. Like most of our supporters around me screaming at our players for chipping it around. We tried to open up the game, but couldn't.

Only way was to kick over the flood.
We needed to feed the ball to Eagle,Gilbee and Griff to have shots from outside 50 instead of the rubbish chipping game we played.
Sure we would have missed a few but with the amount of possesion we had we woul;d have scored a lot more and not turned it over.

GVGjr
01-05-2010, 12:27 AM
This was a bitter bitter pill to swallow. I don't even know where to start. I wonder what Rocket can possibly say to them. The errors we made in those dying minutes just feel like they're imprinted in my brain and on re-wind.

It's hard to say. We haven't hit our straps yet but we are 3 wins and 3 losses. We need to start playing better football and I think we will work our way back up the ladder.

w3design
01-05-2010, 12:30 AM

That to me is exactly right. It was like the effort to match them in all the defensive aspects sapped us so much that we lost composure when we actually had it.

The sad thing is, there were some breathtaking moments when we took the game on that were just superb, just about all of them involving Jarrad Harbrow, who just played in a different dimension. It's a shame we won't ever be firing up the replays to watch them again. We just couldn't do those daring things well enough, for enough of the time, and especially when the awful thought began to dawn on us that they could snatch it. No cool heads at all were there.

BulldogBelle
01-05-2010, 12:45 AM
It's almost like we need to generalize ourselves.

Forget the run and zip, just play that horrible, insipid defensive game and press when the opponent looks tiring.

I absolutely hate football at the moment. I honestly can't see myself bothering to check the scores of any of the other games this weekend.

Before I Die
01-05-2010, 12:59 AM

And our three losses have come against sides that have only lost one game each. The team tackled hard, ran hard and were unlucky on the night.

I hate Saints footy and if the Dogs played that style each week I would stop attending, even if they were winning.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2010, 01:02 AM
And our three losses have come against sides that have only lost one game each. The team tackled hard, ran hard and were unlucky on the night.

I hate Saints footy and if the Dogs played that style each week I would stop attending, even if they were winning.

Ditto.

However at Etihad stadium, they will continue to play that style and prosper unfortunately. I think at other grounds they will be much more gettable.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2010, 01:03 AM

That is the one thing that makes it harder to swallow is that our effort tonight was right up there, but the question then has to be asked is our ability on par with the best?
I'm not saying it isnt' but we need to start showing it in the games that count, not just against the Richmonds and Adelaide's.

gohardorgohome
01-05-2010, 01:08 AM
That was the worst game i have ever been to in my life. I was thinking this even when the doggies were well in front. It was not the game I love at all. A coach must not rate his team if he plays his whole team in defence for 70% of the game.

My nine year old son was bored. It would have been a terrible example of the greatest game on earth if someone was watching it for the first time.

St kilda will never win a GF if they continue to play like that.

I am seriously the most angry with an opposition coach I have ever been after a game.

The dogs didn't take enough risks. I would favour kicking to the side of a doggies player in a 50 / 50 contest. Than chip chip chip.

A total disgrace.

Bulldog4life
01-05-2010, 01:16 AM

I agree with you wholeheartedly. We travel from Rosebud and back every week when we play in Victoria and irrespective if we were winning or not, if we played that crap which I saw tonight, on a weekly basis, I'd still be buying my membership but there is no way known would I attend our games. B..O..R..I..N..G!

G-Mo77
01-05-2010, 01:48 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly. We travel from Rosebud and back every week when we play in Victoria and irrespective if we were winning or not, if we played that crap which I saw tonight, on a weekly basis, I'd still be buying my membership but there is no way known would I attend our games. B..O..R..I..N..G!

What happens if playing that way won you a flag?

I really don't care how we play, as long as we win.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 01:58 AM

We are both World Football fans, and I know exactly what you mean.

I wished back in the early 90s that footy teams would learn some of the defensive structures and pace-changing nuances of soccer, as the full-speed naivety then was sometimes quite breathtaking.

Be careful what you wish for, is what I've learnt. It's not as if soccer is more watchable because of the defensive crap -- Inter vs. Barca was one of the most unwatchable games I've seen, even with Barca playing beautifully; all the diving, time-wasting etc.., and Lyon is going down the same route.

If it's any consolation, the Saints haven't actually acheived anything with it, for all its effectiveness. Thank goodness Geelong beat them last year, otherwise we would have 16 teams playing Saints footy this year.

Bulldog4life
01-05-2010, 01:58 AM
What happens if playing that way won you a flag?

I really don't care how we play, as long as we win.

I would be extremely happy if we won a flag. However I wouldn't be there watching them weekly. Besides I highly doubt we ever could win a flag playing that crap football every week.

KT31
01-05-2010, 01:59 AM
I would be extremely happy if we won a flag. However I wouldn't be there watching them weekly. Besides I highly doubt we ever could win a flag playing that crap football every week.

Once again Sydney did.

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 02:01 AM
My nine year old son was bored.

Saints fan next to me spent a good deal of the game reading a book. :eek:

Bulldog4life
01-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Once again Sydney did.

Good point although the Saints have taken it to a new level. I love to see the Doggies win but I also like to watch good footy. What I saw tonight was pitiful.

gohardorgohome
01-05-2010, 02:02 AM
I hate to say this but if the dogs don't win it this year I hope Geelong do. They play as It should be played

KT31
01-05-2010, 02:07 AM
I hate to say this but if the dogs don't win it this year I hope Geelong do. They play as It should be played

Not really living up to your name conceding in round six.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2010, 02:10 AM

And the game did not really live up to yours either.

Hard to believe the great KT kicked 15 goals in a single game at the wind tunnel that is the Whitten Oval.

When in perfect conditions, two teams with supreme talent can only kick 13 goals between them. What is our great beloved game turning into?

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:14 AM
It's St. Kilda. It's not us. Lets just leave it at that. And hope in future contests we tear them apart!

gohardorgohome
01-05-2010, 02:16 AM

Mate I was wanting the dogs to take on the #^^***# flood. If they continue to not back themselves they will go nowhere. Give me a kick to the corrrect side of a 50 50 contest any time. The cats win because they back themselves and have a go. The dogs did not do that tonight.

Remi Moses
01-05-2010, 02:24 AM
Everyone can hate 'saints footy'as much as they want - but they found a way to win without their best player. Their team stick relentlessly to their game plan and structure - and there is a stack to admire about their group.

Good Post

Remi Moses
01-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Mate I was wanting the dogs to take on the #^^***# flood. If they continue to not back themselves they will go nowhere. Give me a kick to the corrrect side of a 50 50 contest any time. The cats win because they back themselves and have a go. The dogs did not do that tonight.

What's doin' my head in is how the whole world could forsee what they were going to do.Yet we fell for it !

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:37 AM
What's doin' my head in is how the whole world could forsee what they were going to do.Yet we fell for it !

Again

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Paul Roos won a flag by crowding the stoppages and keeping high numbers behind centre, overcrowding the backline. Does anyone now who is his assistant was?

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Paul Roos won a flag by crowding the stoppages and keeping high numbers behind centre, overcrowding the backline. Does anyone now who is his assistant was?

Definitely not Grant Thomas :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Why is it we seem to worry about other teams game plans,why don't we just go out and play our brand of football and let them worry about us.we always seem to conform to the way the opposition play.

We are fast skillfull and play football the way its meant to be played so lets do it next time spread stkilda out and leave em for dead.The only way to get rid of st kildas disgusting brand of football is to beat it.

I'm starting to really hate stkilda!!!!!

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM

This.

Topdog
01-05-2010, 02:09 PM

What results? Losing a GF isn't something I'd be happy with.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Has Sydneys game plan changed much from that time? If not, why can we beat Sydney quite comfortably every time we play them?

anfo27
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM

Agree 100%.

That was the worst game of footy i have ever been to by the length of the Flemington straight and if the dogs played saints footy every week i would stop watching football. I know we all want to win but at what cost?
What i witnessed last night was one team trying to play football while the other team tried to kill game at all costs, thats not the game i love.
I feel for the St. Kilda members who have to watch that tripe every week, winning isn't everything. I go to the footy to be entertained and i was not entertained last night.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
All the saints fans around me seemed to enjoy the win. they didn't care how they won

anfo27
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
All the saints fans around me seemed to enjoy the win. they didn't care how they won

I wouldn't sell my soul for a premiership.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 02:52 PM

I'm quite sure that the national bocce champions were quite excited about their win, too, but I don't care about that one either.

I've got better things to do on my weekends than watch that crap.

anfo27
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I had a mate text me at 3 quarter time. He was watching the game on tv and he said it was like watching a Melbourne Victory game, where are all the goals? Made me laugh.

Flamethrower
01-05-2010, 03:12 PM

With some of our players, it doesn't take much to outsmart them unfortunately.

Didn't do them much good in the GF last year.

Not at Etihad. The Pies have lost twice to them this year (NAB cup and round 3) in very similar games. That game plan doesn't work quite as well outdoors or on the larger grounds like AAMI, Subiaco or more importantly, the MCG.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I agree Flamey, that style of game is very Taxing, doesnt work to well on the bigger grounds. I suspect though without Reiwoldt, they will play more of that style of game, Shame, Shame. They cannot depensd on Kosi, he is a crab. Cost them the game last week, dropped a sitter in the square.

The Pie Man
01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Everyone knows that saying of how you go for two teams - your team and whoever's playing <insert hated team/country> yeah?

I sort of morphed into that last night - I was probably more passionate about St Kilda losing than us winning....though the comforting thought of 'well at least we'll bank the 4 points' did persist throughout the game.

So once the points were dropped, about 30% of my issues are with Grant/Gia et al and the other 70% is with that god awful style of footy that just did not deserve to get rewarded.

Poor kid sitting in front of me near the standing room was balling his eyes out after that game - and I haven't seen a group of adults (us - as in WB fans) so shaken and stunned to lose a game of footy...the prelim hurt but it was in the balance, and I wasn't nervous last night until Armitage kicked his goal...the bitterness of last night will linger until first bounce vs Melbourne (who are currently getting a reality check at the hands of North)

To borrow part of a Terry Wallace phrase, if we end up missing a top 4 spot by one game, I'll spew up

I hate St Kilda

Doggy
01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Opposition supporters must boycott all St Kilda home games in protest to what they are doing to our game.

gohardorgohome
01-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I still have not changed my mind on this from last night. I will be barracking for StKilda's opponent in any game that is coached by Ross Lyon.

His flooding is a blight on the game.

Remi Moses
02-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Gotta love SEN (Stkilda's propoganda arm)That awful biased Windbags on that amauterish radio station is intolerable!!!

Remi Moses
02-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Wondering what Andrew Demetriou is thinking with viewers turning off the product in droves Friday night!I know Lyon is just in the business of winning,but the AFL would be worried if the consumer stops watching out of frustration.The new rights deal on the table could be interesting times.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Worst game I've probably ever seen.

However, what's the point in playing pretty and losing all the time? I'm not saying I want us to carbon copy St. Kilda's game plan, but IMHO we need to devise a different one to the free flowing stuff that breaks down in big games/moments.

gohardorgohome
02-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I've spoken to four impartial people who had turned off before half time. Terrible stuff.

firstdogonthemoon
02-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm quite sure that the national bocce champions were quite excited about their win, too, but I don't care about that one either.

I've got better things to do on my weekends than watch that crap.

I am thinking of changing over to being a bocce supporter instead! Great game! They have cheerleaders now as well. And they sell full strength beer.

Go_Dogs
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
In all seriousness, if we won the flag this year, how many would follow the AFL as vigorously next season?

I was having this conversation with someone the other day, and given all the inequalities in the game and new teams, the draw, the stadium deals, everything...if the Bulldogs won the flag this year, I would just about stop following the AFL.

The game's administrators care more about profit than the product, although the 2 should be directly linked together.

Bulldog4life
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Wondering what Andrew Demetriou is thinking with viewers turning off the product in droves Friday night!I know Lyon is just in the business of winning,but the AFL would be worried if the consumer stops watching out of frustration.The new rights deal on the table could be interesting times.

If that is the case the AFL should be careful which teams play in this important time slot. I have heard reps from the AFL say that they are in the entertainment business when they are justifying the cost of games. "Where can you get entertained for this price for 2 hours" they sprout.

Saints footy is not ENTERTAINMENT. Full stop. End of story. The AFL should be worried if this type of footy becomes more popular.

GVGjr
02-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Are the same people who are annoyed by the way the Saints played us on Friday night the same group of supporters who gave great credit to Terry Wallace when we did something similar to Essendon a few years back?

The Saints didn't have their best forward and chose and executed a game plan that worked against an otherwise free scoring side. Whilst I don't disagree that as a spectacle it's not great for the viewers but if the shoe was on the other foot we would be heaping praise on Eade for getting the job done against a quality opposition side.

Nothing wrong with winning ugly when it's your side that wins.

Templeton31
02-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Are the same people who are annoyed by the way the Saints played us on Friday night the same group of supporters who gave great credit to Terry Wallace when we did something similar to Essendon a few years back?

The Saints didn't have their best forward and chose and executed a game plan that worked against an otherwise free scoring side. Whilst I don't disagree that as a spectacle it's not great for the viewers but if the shoe was on the other foot we would be heaping praise on Eade for getting the job done against a quality opposition side.

I must admit I was thinking during the match it was pretty similar to that game except we were on the other end of it. One thing about it, as we found out, it wasnt sustainable. Seem to remember we tried it the next week (Hawks?) and got rolled.

anfo27
02-05-2010, 07:31 PM

There is nothing wrong with winning ugly but that was beyond ugly. Saints footy has always been crap to watch but since they lost Riewoldt they have taken saints footy to the extreme and killed the game.

They way i feel after that game i will never watch a saints game on tv as long as that lying sack of s#!* is coach. I don't see any difference in the saints footy i saw Friday night and bodyline. They are both against the spirit of the game and they outlawed one because of it and they should do the same with Ross Lyons style but not sure how they could possibly do that.:mad:

The Pie Man
02-05-2010, 07:42 PM

I mustn't have looked at footy as closely back then, as I'll (embarassingly) admit I didn't even notice that night (and I was there) I was a little surprised to hear all the hum-bug in the media over the rest of the weekend at the time.

Note the scores that day :
WB - 14.8
Ess - 12.9

Still 26 goals scored, double Friday nights output

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Agree with your sentiments. Lyon like Roos and Malthouse have built their coaching philosophy on defence being the best means of attack. Unfortunately the Bulldogs didn't have a plan B in being able to counteract these extreme negative tactics. A worrying sign was that we were clearly outplayed in the final quarter. When the game had to be won it was the class and maturity of Hayes, Montagna and Del Santo that prevailed.

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I left halfway thru the last quarter for personal reasons (and also I'd just had enough of watching that crap) but as I left, with us 17 points up, I mentioned to my mate that the Saints would win.

He laughed but I just knew that the bloody Saints would own us again :(

Templeton31
02-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I mustn't have looked at footy as closely back then, as I'll (embarassingly) admit I didn't even notice that night (and I was there) I was a little surprised to hear all the hum-bug in the media over the rest of the weekend at the time.

WB - 14.8
Ess - 12.9

Glad you looked that up Pie man. Interesting to note that even though the games felt the same or similar (to me) there were a lot more goals in that "super flood". Wonder how many Dogs left from that game - Johnno def. Eagle probably played and maybe a v young Murph?

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I actually thought that Eade and the assistants had the better of the Saints coaching team. If we took our chances we would have won by at least 6 goals. Dont despair Bulldogs we get hold of them next time

Mantis
03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I actually thought that Eade and the assistants had the better of the Saints coaching team. If we took our chances we would have won by at least 6 goals. Dont despair Bulldogs we get hold of them next time

Yep.

We dominated the game for 3 & 1/2 quarters and although St.Kilda did their best to clog us up we really should have been 6+ goals up at the 15 minute mark of the last quarter.

At some point we will belt St.Kilda by 10 goals and preferably that is deep in September.

OLD SCRAGGer
03-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE SAINTS :mad::mad::mad:

KT31
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE SAINTS :mad::mad::mad:

Me to!:mad::mad::mad:

Desipura
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
When we beat Essendon in similar fashion in 2000, alot of our supporters were wrapt that we had won and did not give a stuff how we won. Well done to the Saints for managing to find a way to win.
I am sure we will be better equipped to handle this next time. Dont forget we have the Swans in 2 weeks which will probably apply a similar tactic.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately I have repeated those same words many times over the years. So one more time won't hurt.:)

Murphy'sLore
03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I was watching on TV at home with my better half, couldn't stand the suspense and secretly snuck into the bedroom, turned on the radio and was shell-shocked to faintly hear the Saints song playing -- they had actually won. I couldn't believe it, felt sick to my stomach. We were three goals up at that stage on the telly. Worst part was having to go back to the living room and pretend I thought we would still win it. Bizarrely I almost convinced myself that we WOULD win it, it just seemed so impossible that the Saints could kick that many goals with the clock running out.

Serves me right i know. Didn't make watching those last few minutes any easier.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Yep.

We dominated the game for 3 & 1/2 quarters and although St.Kilda did they their to clog us up we really should have been 6+ goals up at the 15 minute mark of the last quarter.

At some point we will belt St.Kilda by 10 goals and preferably that is deep in September.

Agree no off spin in that quote... Confident we will get them next time

EasternWest
03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately I have repeated those same words many times over the years. So one more time won't hurt.:)

Funny. Depressingly so.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Funny. Depressingly so.

Yes it is depressing. Good teams win the close games. I can understand over the years when we haven't been up to it but we have been a good team for most of the time that Rocket has been coach yet we still can't get the job done when it counts.
We have a poor finals record. We lose the close matches. I hate to criticize when I don't have an alternative but unfortunately I haven't.

If I hear one more time "We had our chances" I'll spew up.:)

GVGjr
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM

WB - 14.8
Ess - 12.9

The skill of the flood has been refined which in part explains the lower scoring.

Our inability to hurt the Saints when we should have cost us the win and they would have looked like fools if we had beaten them by 20 plus points.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
The skill of the flood has been refined which in part explains the lower scoring.

Our inability to hurt the Saints when we should have cost us the win and they would have looked like fools if we had beaten them by 20 plus points.

All Ross Lyon has to say now when questioned about the tactics he employed is that it got the desired result. As you say, if we had beaten them rather comfortably (as we should have) his tactics would have looked silly.

The Pie Man
03-05-2010, 09:40 PM

All Ross Lyon has to say now when questioned about the tactics he employed is that it got the desired result. As you say, if we had beaten them rather comfortably (as we should have) his tactics would have looked silly.

Thinking of these points....such a shame we didn't do just that

The Coon Dog
03-05-2010, 11:24 PM

In a strange way, it might just work out to our advantage in future as Lyon will surely figure it's worked before, therefore it must work again. Clearly it won't work every time.

Doc26
03-05-2010, 11:35 PM
In a strange way, it might just work out to our advantage in future as Lyon will surely figure it's worked before, therefore it must work again. Clearly it won't work every time.

TCD, I like your optimism.

Maybe it was a cunning plan after all, leading the Saints into a false sense of security.
Next time around we will roll out our trojan horse full of Boyds, Pickens and Wards.

Gia you're a genius.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
There are really only two ways to beat the zone. Work through it slowly or kick over it.
Etihad plays to the Saints strengths, whereas they were beaten on a big wet oval by Port.
When you think about it, it's good ( in a way ) to lose now as it forces us to do a few things.

1. Get some discipline. What the **** is it with all these free kicks given by people who run through the mark???? Reign Barry in for gods sake. What was with that hand in the face stuff? He needs a good dressing down. Use the pain of the loss to look seriously, now while it is early in the season.
2. Go back to basics, now, before the sharp end of the season, learn from mistakes.
3. Get a fire in the belly about the saints. Study them day and night. Thrive on the passion.

Desipura
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
TCD, I like your optimism.

Maybe it was a cunning plan after all, leading the Saints into a false sense of security.
Next time around we will roll out our trojan horse full of Boyds, Pickens and Wards.

Gia you're a genius.
Now that is funny!
Lets not downplay Hall & William's contribution.:D

Bulldog4life
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
There are really only two ways to beat the zone. Work through it slowly or kick over it.
Etihad plays to the Saints strengths, whereas they were beaten on a big wet oval by Port.
When you think about it, it's good ( in a way ) to lose now as it forces us to do a few things.

Now that is optimism.:)

1eyedog
05-05-2010, 05:15 PM
What results? Losing a GF isn't something I'd be happy with.

Fair enough, but how many GF have we been in lately?

1eyedog
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM

1. Get some discipline. What the **** is it with all these free kicks given by people who run through the mark???? Reign Barry in for gods sake. What was with that hand in the face stuff? He needs a good dressing down. Use the pain of the loss to look seriously, now while it is early in the season.
2. Go back to basics, now, before the sharp end of the season, learn from mistakes.
3. Get a fire in the belly about the saints. Study them day and night. Thrive on the passion.

I'm actually more concerned about Geelong and potentially Collingwood come September.

gohardorgohome
10-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Isn't it ironic that if you back yourself you just might go ok.

The Pie Man
10-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I could pick another team to do it (other than us) but I shed no tears watching the Saints get taken apart tonight. Doesn't surprise me either

AndrewP6
10-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I could pick another team to do it (other than us) but I shed no tears watching the Saints get taken apart tonight. Doesn't surprise me either

Hate to admit, I've been barracking for the Blues!

The Pie Man
10-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Likewise! Felt a bit wrong, but they're turning into an exciting bunch to watch....damn it!

AndrewP6
10-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Likewise! Felt a bit wrong, but they're turning into an exciting bunch to watch....damn it!

We can stop it now, they got the win. Normal football barracking may resume as soon as possible... :)

bornadog
10-05-2010, 11:42 PM

I could never ever barrack for those cheats. Even though I don't like the Saints, I would have preferred if they won.

comrade
11-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I could never ever barrack for those cheats. Even though I don't like the Saints, I would have preferred if they won.

+1

If Carlton were playing the Evil All-Stars, featuring Hitler, Stalin, Goebbels, Ivan Milat and Walt Disney, I'd be cheering for Adolph.

chef
11-05-2010, 10:18 AM
+1

If Carlton were playing the Evil All-Stars, featuring Hitler, Stalin, Goebbels, Ivan Milat and Walt Disney, I'd be cheering for Adolph.

+2

I'm the same, I know one of their players but I still won't barrack from them.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-05-2010, 10:19 AM
+1

Fantasia scared the daylights out of me as a kid but...Please explain??

EasternWest
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
+1

ha ha spot on

LostDoggy
11-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm rapt that Carlton smashed St Kilda - good on them. :)

LostDoggy
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I was barracking for Carlton, the more the Saints lose the better...even if it meant my second most hated team had to win.

wend1604
11-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Must admit I didn't shed a tear that St Kilda were smashed by Carlton. Any game in which St Kilda loses is a good game :D

choconmientay
17-05-2010, 12:55 PM
For the last 2 weeks I really love "Saints footy!" :->

w3design
17-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Hard one wasn't it? You feel dirty barracking for Carlton, however I just can't watch that boring tripe the Saints play.

bornadog
17-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Hard one wasn't it? You feel dirty barracking for Carlton, however I just can't watch that boring tripe the Saints play.

No matter the situation, I can't barrack for Carlton.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 02:13 PM
No matter the situation, I can't barrack for Carlton.

What you want is a situation where Carlton loses to the Dogs, then flogs Hawthorn, Richmond, St Kilda, Adelaide, Essendon and Collingwood (just to name some clubs that we all love to hate) to start the season (leaving those clubs with horrendous percentage), then get done for salary cap rorting and lose all their points and play the rest of the season for no points, but not have the results and points awarded to their opponents in their previous games retrospectively adjusted (a la the Storm).

bornadog
18-05-2010, 06:09 PM
What you want is a situation where Carlton loses to the Dogs, then flogs Hawthorn, Richmond, St Kilda, Adelaide, Essendon and Collingwood (just to name some clubs that we all love to hate) to start the season (leaving those clubs with horrendous percentage), then get done for salary cap rorting and lose all their points and play the rest of the season for no points, but not have the results and points awarded to their opponents in their previous games retrospectively adjusted (a la the Storm).

Perfect:D