PDA

View Full Version : There is no football God

angelopetraglia
30-04-2010, 11:59 PM
How can that style of football prevail?

That was simply an injustice. How can that negative crap generate a win. I hate what this great game of AFL has become if that style can win.

It reminded me of old world catenaccio soccer. Sit back. Generate nothing. Then try and steal something on the counter.

I love AFL because it usually does not allow this negative, not create anything mentality win, but tonight proved that there is no football God.

Remi Moses
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Don't care what footy they play.All I care is that nobody at our CLUB ever assumes responsibility,all theyvever do is freeze and play like rabbits caught in the headlights:(

Scorlibo
01-05-2010, 12:56 AM

That was simply an injustice. How can that negative crap generate a win. I hate what this great game of AFL has become if that style can win.

It reminded me of old world catenaccio soccer. Sit back. Generate nothing. Then try and steal something on the counter.

Exactly. So frustrating.

gohardorgohome
01-05-2010, 01:16 AM

I love AFL because it usually does not allow this negative, not create anything mentality win, but tonight proved that there is no football God.

I totally agree Angelo.

PS I used to love Angelo's mullett. One of the best going around.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Oh, there is a Football God.

He hates dogs, unfortunately.

Remi Moses
01-05-2010, 02:44 AM

That was Inter Milan like.They're rolling the dice IMO and hopefully they get punished playing like that!

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we invent this style of play in the year 2000 against an undefeated team who also won the flag that year?

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 02:46 AM
That was Inter Milan like.They're rolling the dice IMO and hopefully they get punished playing like that!

That should have happened tonight. The best teams will do that.

mjp
01-05-2010, 09:36 AM
That should have happened tonight. The best teams will do that.

If we had kicked 8 goals - 2 per quarter - we win. We should be kicking at least 3 per quarter given our forward talent and gamestyle.

I am baffled while we continually allow this side to dictate terms to us.

Stevo
01-05-2010, 09:48 AM
If we had kicked 8 goals - 2 per quarter - we win. We should be kicking at least 3 per quarter given our forward talent and gamestyle.

I am baffled while we continually allow this side to dictate terms to us.

Very interesting point. How does a side combat the negative tactics the Saints employed?

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Tom Harley said it all folks.
Offence gets you membership
Defence wins you premierships!

cambo
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Why do we always have to play the other teams game?? we proved by going through the corridor we could kick goals as we scored probably 4 out of our 6 doing this, When are the other teams going to play our game.

boydogs
01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we invent this style of play in the year 2000 against an undefeated team who also won the flag that year?

IIRC there were over 150 points scored in that game. It only worked because it took the opposition by surprise. Last night, we knew what to expect but couldn't execute when it mattered to beat it

mjp
01-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Very interesting point. How does a side combat the negative tactics the Saints employed?

How about be brave and move the ball?

We are like a soccer team crying after losing in a shoot-out...sometimes you have to risk it all to save yourself from a miserable defeat.

I am just really disappointed in our overall lack of adventure. We played it safe and (to me) got what we deserved.

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
but tonight proved that there is no football God.

There certainly is a football god, in fact there are many and they are rascals everyone.

You think gods and morality and they think that the role of gods is to play tricks on humanity.

After all if 40,000+ people are prepared to turn up on a cold night and watch 44 players chase a leather balloon for 120 minutes when for the whole time almost nothing happened then the football gods assume they are fair game.

And in the end they decided that the boldest, not the best and most adventure averse, should win.

Such is the prerogative of the gods, I can hear them laughing still.

Bulldog4life
02-05-2010, 12:55 PM

We are like a soccer team crying after losing in a shoot-out...sometimes you have to risk it all to save yourself from a miserable defeat.

I am just really disappointed in our overall lack of adventure. We played it safe and (to me) got what we deserved.

Agree. To lose playing ugly is such a hollow feeling. If we roll the dice, take some chances and just be a bit more daring and lose it possibly could be more palatable to take. Could be a thread just on that question.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2010, 01:03 PM

In reflection, your are 100% right. Spot on. At critical moments when we were 17 point up we went sideways and backwards too many times to keep possession, even through the guts in traffic.

If you have to go to a 50/50 or take a risk to keep possession, at least go forwards (instead of backwards/sidewards) so if you do turn it over you, they have to at least come back through you.

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 10:56 PM
In reflection, your are 100% right. Spot on. At critical moments when we were 17 point up we went sideways and backwards too many times to keep possession, even through the guts in traffic.

If you have to go to a 50/50 or take a risk to keep possession, at least go forwards (instead of backwards/sidewards) so if you do turn it over you, they have to at least come back through you.

That's what I was saying in my thread I created after the game. It's the reason why we recruited Barry. It may not create a goal, but at least it makes the other team under the pressure to defend from inside our attack and if they gain posession back. Have to get through the traffic back to their forward 50.

But the weekend is over and Melbourne awaits this Friday.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Don't care what footy they play.All I care is that nobody at our CLUB ever assumes responsibility,all theyvever do is freeze and play like rabbits caught in the headlights:(

Spot on mate 100%

angelopetraglia
04-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Les Murray buys into the argument;

Mourinho a genius without a soul

A word or two about Jose Mourinho, by way of pre-empting the tumult of discussion and polemics about him that will no doubt surround the Champions League final on May 22.

I am not a fan although I respect utterly his almost unrivalled capacity, even in historic terms, to achieve results, wherever he goes against whatever opponent.

Mourinho is the high priest of the football bottom line: a win is a win and a draw is better than a loss. He thrives in the self-fulfilling Machiavellian fantasy that in football the result is everything and he invests every drop of his considerable coaching talent into it.

He is oblivious to the game’s rich history and how its unique capacity to excite and entertain, its romance, has captivated the world’s billions for a century and a half. He is, as one English columnist implied, tantamount to a vandal painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa and calling it some kind of victory.

link to full article: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/les-murray/blog/995772/Mourinho-a-genius-without-a-soul

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 08:43 PM

There may be no football god but choirs of angels sang at this post. Welcome back, mjp.

alwaysadog
04-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Yes, mjp, if you allow your opposition to determine the terms of play and think that in so doing you'll triumph, you've never heard of the idea of being bitten on the bum.

Funny that supposedly smart coaches let it recur.

comrade
04-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes, mjp, if you allow your opposition to determine the terms of play and think that in so doing you'll triumph, you've never heard of the idea of being bitten on the bum.

Funny that supposedly smart coaches let it recur.

Is this your third or fourth Rocket bashing post this week? You're better than that AAD.

I believe we played the game on our terms; we dominated possession and had numerous opportunities to close out the game.

We lost through the poor execution of basic skills, not because we were coached badly.

angelopetraglia
07-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I was wrong. There is a football God.

The football God saw our pain and devastation at the injustice of last weeks loss and decided to make a amends.

Thank you football God.

FrediKanoute
08-05-2010, 12:21 AM
There's no God if you are a Melbourne fan.......

I guess in the great scheme of things it all evens up