PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Round 7

Rocco Jones
01-05-2010, 12:29 AM
I know it's a tad early but I really want to get my mind (kind of) off tonight's game.

I am not so much interested in who literally comes into and out of the side but more interested in the actual structure of the side.

We were run off our feet again tonight. I know errors and not taking our chances also contributed heavily (even more significant) but IMO it's a big problem. I think our side is clearly unbalanced but I don't really blame the MC because of all the injuries to our runners.

It seems like Boyd will be back next week and hopefully Wood can have another good game for Willy. The Dees have a very small forward line and I really don't see much need for Williams. I would at least like to see Boyd/Wood in for Williams.

GVGjr
01-05-2010, 12:32 AM
We were run off our feet again tonight. I know errors and not taking our chances also contributed heavily (even more significant) but IMO it's a big problem. I think our side is clearly unbalanced but I don't really blame the MC because of all the injuries to our runners.

It seems like Boyd will be back next week and hopefully Wood can have another good game for Willy. The Dees have a very small forward line and I really don't see much need for Williams. I would at least like to see Boyd/Wood in for Williams.

We almost need to park someone 25mtrs in front of their goal so that they just can kick the ball into the empty space and run into an easy goal.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Still in such a state of despair, can't even consider round 7 yet. On par with the worst feeling after a game outside of the prelim losses.

Mantis
01-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Probably have to wait til after Willi's game, but the minute I'm thinking:

Out: Roughead, Eagleton

In: Minson, Boyd

KT31
01-05-2010, 12:35 AM
In - Heart
Out - Losers

Rocco Jones
01-05-2010, 12:35 AM
We almost need to park someone 25mtrs in front of their goal so that they just can kick the ball into the empty space and run into an easy goal.

I was thinking about that tonight, bit like having a goal keeper.

GVGjr
01-05-2010, 12:36 AM

That's how I see it but I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be disappointed) if it was Addison instead of Eagle.

Rocco Jones
In - Heart
Out - Losers

I think our heart is alright, our head is the issue.

Mantis

When Kosi went into the ruck dipshit Lake went forward... Why??

KT31
01-05-2010, 12:37 AM
I was thinking about that tonight, bit like having a goal keeper.

If we recruited Mark Schwarzer the AFL would pay most of his salary cap.:D

Scorlibo
01-05-2010, 12:38 AM
In: Boyd.
Out: Addison (unlucky).

Rocco Jones
01-05-2010, 12:42 AM
That's how I see it but I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be disappointed) if it was Addison instead of Eagle.

Not so sure about that. Addison would be a bit stiff if he went from decent jobs on Knights and Goddard to being dropped. Eade seems to have a clear role for him and with Picken being out I think his spot is pretty safe.

KT31
01-05-2010, 12:44 AM

Can't argue.

Ozza
01-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Roughead dislocated his shoulder in the 2nd quarter - so Minson would come in you'd think.

Boyd to come back - Williams might not be required against the Dees small fwd line - he probably wasn't really required or overly suited tonight either. Not a form thing - more a 'horses for courses thing'.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2010, 12:54 AM
If we recruited Mark Schwarzer the AFL would pay most of his salary cap.:D

Love it.

GVGjr
01-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Roughead dislocated his shoulder in the 2nd quarter - so Minson would come in you'd think.

Boyd to come back - Williams might not be required against the Dees small fwd line - he probably wasn't really required or overly suited tonight either. Not a form thing - more a 'horses for courses thing'.

It's been my biggest worry about putting him into the seniors too early. He is a guy that struggled through injuries last season especially with his shoulder and I hope this doesn't set him back too far.

G-Mo77
01-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Yeah I think we'll see Minson and Boyd in

Roughead and who knows out.

gohardorgohome
01-05-2010, 01:35 AM

Are you sure about this my favourite afl boundary rider Tiff Cherry reported no injuries on SEN.

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Still in such a state of despair, can't even consider round 7 yet. On par with the worst feeling after a game outside of the prelim losses.

Same... worse loss than Brisbane, IMO...

G-Mo77
01-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Are you sure about this my favourite afl boundary rider Tiff Cherry reported no injuries on SEN.

Yeah he did, they strapped it up and he went on. Rucked with his left for the rest of the night.

It wasn't exactly a dislocation but a subluxation which is a little different.

Bulldog4life
01-05-2010, 01:43 AM

Ditto. It is a real gut wrenching loss. Trouble is I've seen it happen again and again over the past 4 decades. You just never get used to it though.

Remi Moses
01-05-2010, 03:27 AM
In- Ability to win us BIG GAME

out-
Players who fall apart in BIG GAMES and BIG MOMENTS!!!

chef
01-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Another good game from Wood should see him included.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
It's been my biggest worry about putting him into the seniors too early. He is a guy that struggled through injuries last season especially with his shoulder and I hope this doesn't set him back too far.

As good as he has been I can now see why he would need to be carefully managed.
He's taken some heavy knocks in his two games.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Another good game from Wood should see him included.
What position do you see him playing?

Pickenitup
01-05-2010, 10:07 AM
In Boyd Wood
Out Williams Roughead(If inj)

Bulldog Joe
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
In Boyd Wood
Out Williams Roughead(If inj)

Surely Minson comes in for Roughead.

Will gives Huddo a chop out and helps him get through as well.

We could not win a clearance from the stoppages late in the game. Minson may well have made the difference.

No way I see Williams going out.

Desipura
01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
That sounds like a role for Markovic. Whilst he may be a tad slow, he can read the play well. There is a reason we drafted him, lets see how he goes.
The probably being we would be too top heavy if Minson comes in as well

Pickenitup
01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I dont think there is a matchup for Williams against melbourne they have noTall forwards so we need
another runner ie Wood and if Roughie is inj i think we could pich hit with Everitt in the Ruck like we did
in Rd 22 last year as Melbourne only have Jamar and we need more run against a very fast Demon
Outfit

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I dont think there is a matchup for Williams against melbourne they have noTall forwards so we need
another runner ie Wood and if Roughie is inj i think we could pich hit with Everitt in the Ruck like we did
in Rd 22 last year as Melbourne only have Jamar and we need more run against a very fast Demon
Outfit

I like your thinking there. Melbourne do have a very small and mobile forward line. Our back line can't be too top heavy in this game and if that means giving Williams a rest then it might be something that the match committee will think about during the week.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
This game just reminded me of prelim final last year. i thought we played with good intensity, but again against quality opposition we can't deliver the knockout blow.We seemed not confident enough to just put it in the forward 50. we have got Barry Hall now the target we lacked last year so why do we not use him? All in all i think good signs, i think this game will kick start our season go doggies stick it up em!!!!

Rocco Jones
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Just a wacky theory I'd like to throw out there:

-We are playing two ruckmen each week who are pure ruckmen (Roughead offers a bit more up forward)

-We have Lake, Williams, Morris, Everitt and Shaggy as possible tall defensive cover

- We have permanent forwards in Hall, Johnson, Grant and Hahn

And we have been run off our legs 3 out of 3 games against quality opposition.

I will say this when I am in a strait jacket in an asylum but you're best 22 is not necessarily the best 22 to run out there.

I am not knocking Williams, I actually feel like I rate him more than most Bulldogs fans (at least the ones I sit near ) but does he offer us the value that an extra runner would? I know we have been compromised by the injuries to our runners but Wood and Boyd should be well and truly back in the selection frame next week. Next week is the perfect time to try a smaller/runner friendly structure with Melbourne's small forward line.

2010 is becoming a bit predictable at the moment. We lose to a quality side, involving being run off our legs and then the next week we hide our decencies by having too much talent against the riff raff.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM
I think we are worse off by Everitt actually being pretty good.

I agree boyd for Williams this week at least.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah he did, they strapped it up and he went on. Rucked with his left for the rest of the night.

It wasn't exactly a dislocation but a subluxation which is a little different.

subluxation ???

love the word G can you please explain for the non-medical amongst us what this is.

ta

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
In: Boyd
Out: Addison

I would like to see the stats on Roughead, i thought he did enough to play next week. Actually thought he did a pretty serviceable job, enough to keep Minson out.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
In: Boyd, Minson, Hill
Out: Eagleton, Roughead, Grant

The outs can go back to Willy with instructions of things to work on:
Eagleton - rediscover the tackling and defensive pressure you showed in the NAB Cup, as well as his run and carry - cause if he aint doin that his is not in the best 22.
Roughead - while he has showed a bit, may need to work on his endurance.. It really depends on Minson's form though..
Grant - Marking and Goal kicking...

For mine Addison has been more than serviceable in the last 2 games and without Picken he takes up the tagger-ish role

Mofra
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I thought Grant was one of our better players, his defensive efforts were top notch. Deserves another game.

Out: Roughead (even if not injured - he's promising but looked very raw last night)
Williams (No need against Melbourne)

I really wasn't happy with Cross' game but not quite axe-swinging time yet. Would love to find a spot for Moles/Wood.

chef
01-05-2010, 04:51 PM
What position do you see him playing?

Outside running role.

Doc26
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
In: Boyd
Out: Addison

I'm glad someone said it, thought I was losing my mind for a minute.

Doc26
01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I think we are worse off by Everitt actually being pretty good

:confused::confused: Not an Everitt fan Sockeye ??

azabob
01-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I think we are worse off by Everitt actually being pretty good.

I agree boyd for Williams this week at least.

I took it as SS meaning if Everitt wasn't playing a pure running player would be which is what we are struggling with?

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 06:50 PM

I am, I am.

I think since he's come in we have another tweener that has thrown us out of balance a bit. He's playing well enough, he's just not that extra runner we need.

We know Everitt has excellent mobility for his size but he's not providing coverage for talls and he's not really a running player (if he was we wouldn't be so satisfied with a dozen touches).

I think we're top heavy down back now but it's Williams rather than Everitt I'd drop.

Jasper
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Its clear the club is hellbent on playing Williams in order to get games into him. The raps on him have been huge - I have seen glimpses. Sometimes he has drilled passes on the run to forwards and looks ok. He looks most lost under pressure and when the ball is in the air....not good traits in a key backman. I think he has the tank and speed to play as a tall wingman.

I also think that against Jamar, we can afford to just play Hudson with Everitt as backup.

Playing Williams and Everitt in these different roles, with one less ruckman may make us less top heavy so to speak...And assuming Roughy spells and Minson needs more time in the 2s its a good time to try this structure.

In - Boyd
Out - Roughead

The key structurally is to get our forward structure better. What happened to Hall just being a part of our mobile forward line??? The focus on Hall makes us more predictable, and seems to have removed opportunity and possibly confidence from other strong players who aren't at their best, these players include Johnson, Murphy and Higgins.

I am also concerned about Hall's temperament, he seems to be getting frustrated and getting targeted by opponents. The head high contact costing a goal against the Saints worries me. He could go Chernobyl anytime soon and I hate to think we are becoming too reliant on him, while also diminishing our strengths (ie multiple forward options...see Carlton)

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Jones kicked 3 again in the VFL seems to be going fairly well, Ive only seen him play about 1 game so I dont know if his goals have been well earnt or if he is applying lots of pressure and stuff but maybe against Melbourne we could try a forward line with FF - Hall CHF - Jones and play Grant on a wing/flank.

Grant is fast, too skinny for contested marks, a good grab, he has quick hands, great defensive pressure and last night his field kicking was better then his goal kicking. The only question mark is does he have a big enough tank to play on the wing? not for a whole game but it could be worth giving him a shot there!

I dont think we can fit Aker/Johnno/Hall all in the same forward line unless Aker and Johnno are kicking goals and their not at the moment.

Abit off topic but Hooper seems to be playing pretty well as a small forward if anyones seen him play is he more of a crumber or a lead up small?

In - Boyd, Moles (if fit) and I would like to see Jones against Melbourne but its proberly abit too early.

Out - Williams (because of match ups) Addison (unlucky) and Aker.

lemmon
01-05-2010, 07:53 PM
In- Boyd
Out- Williams (no match up)

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2010, 09:08 PM

I would give Roughy one more week as he's done good job, Also Melbourne don't have a big ruck unit so he may be able to push forward and get a bit of it around the ground.

Boyd in for Mitch as we will need eagles run and hopefully he gets a bit of confidence.

becmatty
01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
In: Boyd, Moles
Out: Addison, Williams

In the frame, but won't be selected: Wood, Minson, Hill

Pressure on: Grant, Roughead, Eagleton, Everitt

boydogs
01-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Out: Addison, Williams

bornadog
01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I thought Stack played well today at Willi, it is probably the most I have seen him contribute in a long while. He played around half forward and was very lively.

GVGjr
01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I thought Stack played well today at Willi, it is probably the most I have seen him contribute in a long while. He played around half forward and was very lively.

What about that missed shot in the first quarter? I can't believe how far he missed it by. It wasn't in the same postcode :)

EasternWest
01-05-2010, 11:11 PM
subluxation ???

love the word G can you please explain for the non-medical amongst us what this is.

ta

When a joint pops out or partially out then pops back in of its own accord.

Hurts a bit when it happens. Hurts a lot when it cools down. That's why you see a lot of guys who sublux come back on but miss the next week.

EasternWest
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm glad someone said it, thought I was losing my mind for a minute.

Why so? Addison has been more than serviceable in the last two games.

Doc26
01-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Why so? Addison has been more than serviceable in the last two games.

Apologies 'DFA4PM', you're obviously a fan, but for me Dylan is not in our best 22 or best 22 to run out ;) with Boyd returning this week. Other than his determination he doesn't offer enough tricks or skill necessary at this level of the game even covering for Liam.

Match Ups aside, Wood, Hill, Moles even Minson should not be out of our 22 at the expense of retaining Dylan. With that said his value is that he can at times be asked to fill a role with the inevitability of injuries and suspensions with a list that doesn't run very deep.

GVGjr
02-05-2010, 12:04 AM
He did miss some easy ones, how many did he kick today?

I had him down for 2 goals

bornadog
02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I had him down for 2 goals

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is ready for promotion. It was good to see him get involved quiet a bit today. I don't think Hill is ready to come back, and I didn't see too many others ready. Maybe Minson. I thought he played well today.

Doc26
02-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey GVGjr, did you have any of our players in mind with your signature comment

but if you are tall you have got three years to show me you can't. (play)
There's a couple of possible candidates hovering around the mark.

GVGjr
02-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Hey GVGjr, did you have any of our players in mind with your signature comment

There's a couple of possible candidates hovering around the mark.

I was reading an article about Lindsay Gaze and thought the comment he made about basketballers was very applicable to the AFL.
I suppose Mulligan springs to mind.

Doc26
02-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Name them

Not that I'm suggesting we should move any of these on (for now) but applying Lindsay Gaze's analogy, what length of time would these four have been given if they weren't talls ? Minson, Williams, Boumann, Mulligan

Curious nonetheless to know in say three years what place they hold in the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Minson has had a bad start to the year but I still believe he's AFL standard. Pretty harsh on him, Doc. Not every player is going to be a gun. Minson has been a good player for us over the years and still has time to improve based on ruck analogy (hit their peak at 26).

Agree that at this stage, the other three haven't convinced anyone and have been drafted on size and potential more than anything else.

bornadog
02-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Not that I'm suggesting we should move any of these on (for now) but applying Lindsay Gaze's analogy, what length of time would these four have been given if they weren't talls ? Minson, Williams, Boumann, Mulligan

Curious nonetheless to know in say three years what place they hold in the game.

Boumann and Mulligan are still 20 years old.

Williams is almost there, injures have robbed him from playing more games and getting valuable football experience and Minson is a top ruckman, He had no preseason and will start to hit his straps again

Go_Dogs
02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
As with others, Roughead will surely miss. At times he was really struggling with his left(?) shoulder, and looked like he was really carrying it and in quite a bit of discomfort.

In: Minson, Boyd.

I'd really like to see Stack get an opportunity and given that small, defensively minded forward role, but it's probably better if he can string a few decent games together at Williamstown first.

Rocco Jones
02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I actually think Williams is showing a few promising signs but who is he going to play on? We look top heavy and should be looking for reasons to play more runners.

The Dees have been using a small forward line as well as having Jamar take the vast majority of the ruck work. It's either drop Williams or play one pure ruck IMO.

Thinking of next week, there forward line might look a bit like...
Green, Sylvia, Bennell, Bate, 'resting' ruck, Petterd replacement (Miller)

I notice Miller and Johnson were in the bests for Casey yesterday and wouldn't be surprised if they went in with an extra tall, perhaps even both coming in with Martin out. I don't think they will want Jamar out the ruck/off the ground much as he has been looking good, so Johnson would probably need to earn his spot via forward work.

Even if the Dees go in with a taller structure (Miller, resting ruck etc) they are not talls I fear and actually see them as an opportunity to zone/rebound off. Bate is tallish but probably gets most of his marks leading up rather than being a typical KP. Here are my attempts at countering the tallest Dees forward scenario.

Miller- Lake/Everitt
Resting ruck- Everitt/Lake
Bate- Shaggy
Bennell- Harbrow
Sylvia- Morris
Green- Addison

I know Shaggy is usually best on medium/smalls but other than his actual height, I see Bate as a medium. Everitt on a big tall might seem a bit of a risk but remember who they actually are. Are we so desperate to cover the least imposing out of Miller and say Martin/Johnson/Jamar (for about 20% max) that we play another KP back when we are so light on for runners?

Before I Die
02-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I actually think Williams is showing a few promising signs but who is he going to play on? We look top heavy and should be looking for reasons to play more runners.

The Dees have been using a small forward line as well as having Jamar take the vast majority of the ruck work. It's either drop Williams or play one pure ruck IMO.

Thinking of next week, there forward line might look a bit like...
Green, Sylvia, Bennell, Bate, 'resting' ruck, Petterd replacement (Miller)

I notice Miller and Johnson were in the bests for Casey yesterday and wouldn't be surprised if they went in with an extra tall, perhaps even both coming in with Martin out. I don't think they will want Jamar out the ruck/off the ground much as he has been looking good, so Johnson would probably need to earn his spot via forward work.

Even if the Dees go in with a taller structure (Miller, resting ruck etc) they are not talls I fear and actually see them as an opportunity to zone/rebound off. Bate is tallish but probably gets most of his marks leading up rather than being a typical KP. Here are my attempts at countering the tallest Dees forward scenario.

Miller- Lake/Everitt
Resting ruck- Everitt/Lake
Bate- Shaggy
Bennell- Harbrow
Sylvia- Morris
Green- Addison

I know Shaggy is usually best on medium/smalls but other than his actual height, I see Bate as a medium. Everitt on a big tall might seem a bit of a risk but remember who they actually are. Are we so desperate to cover the least imposing out of Miller and say Martin/Johnson/Jamar (for about 20% max) that we play another KP back when we are so light on for runners?

Bate 192cm.
I thought the first commandment was "Thou shalt not play Shaggy on a taller opponent".

Martin 198cm
Dunn 192
Both played forward yesterday.

Miller 194cm
Johnson 199cm
Possible ins to replace Petterd.

I would play Williams.

Rocco Jones
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Bate 192cm.
I thought the first commandment was "Thou shalt not play Shaggy on a taller opponent".

Did you read the rest of my post where I covered that?

Bate is literally 'tall' but doesn't play tall. Why are so many fans obsessed with a player's height rather than how they actually play?

I definitely am a subscriber to the 'don't play Shaggy on a KP' theory but Bate is not a KP, he is just as tall as one. Justin Westhoff is a good example. Anyone remember the last time Shaggy played on Westhoff? Shaggy gave him an absolute bath.

You mention Martin and Miller. Where you see them as threats and want to play an extra tall to cover them (I know under your theory we aren't actually making a chance but I definitely believe we are unbalanced and playing an extra tall) I see them as an opportunity. They are spuds and a great opportunity to zone off. Cover the most dangerous (and I throw that term loosely) with Lake and give Everitt the other one.

I fear quality KP forwards, not guys who play forward that are just tall. Remember Hodge vs Minson PF 08? Round 1 Schoenmakers ran off Miller all day. Gun KP forwards are threats and dud KP forwards are opportunities.

The only respect I have for Miller is his apparent ability with the ladies.

Rocco Jones
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I forgot Gilbee with my match ups. I seriously see him as an option to play on one of their dud talls. I know a few here are stuck in an era where playing a small on a tall is seen as madness but the game has changed. Dud KP forwards are exposed by innovative coaches and quality rebounders.

Before I Die
02-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I read the full post and I am not obsessed with a player's height. I just didn't realise the First Commandment had an attached corollary. I think my 'problem', if I have one, is that I believe Williams is important to our structure and I am not a great fan of Shaggy.

The latter issue perhaps being more of a reflection on me than him :D

Rocco Jones
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
I read the full post and I am not obsessed with a player's height. I just didn't realise the First Commandment had an attached corollary. I think my 'problem', if I have one, is that I believe Williams is important to our structure and I am not a great fan of Shaggy.

The latter issue perhaps being more of a reflection on me than him :D

That's fair enough mate.

I must say I find it amazing how underrated Shaggy is by our own. I remember watching him play the ultimate small defensive job on Milne in 08 and then collating the Ching votes. Was amazed by the lack of appreciation.

I think Shaggy is the type of player who struggles to get appreciation from the fans because his weaknesses are apparent (mindless free kicks and long kicks) and his history against tall forwards he isn't suited to (Rohde was more to blame for this than Shaggy). His strengths conversely are subtle. He is an all rounder defender. He can play on smalls, mediums and mediums in a 'tall' body. He is able to both offer rebound as well as carrying out a defensive job. His greatest value to me is how he frees up the more limited (not meant as an insult) Morris, Harbrow and Gilbee.

A super play for us in the last couple of years and I don't think I have ever seen a Bulldogs player less appreciated for his work.

EasternWest
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Apologies 'DFA4PM', you're obviously a fan, but for me Dylan is not in our best 22 or best 22 to run out ;) with Boyd returning this week. Other than his determination he doesn't offer enough tricks or skill necessary at this level of the game even covering for Liam.

Match Ups aside, Wood, Hill, Moles even Minson should not be out of our 22 at the expense of retaining Dylan. With that said his value is that he can at times be asked to fill a role with the inevitability of injuries and suspensions with a list that doesn't run very deep.

There's no need for apologies. I think he's done enough to stay in, bias aside, and I was interested to hear your thoughts on why he hasn't/isn't good enough. We've got different views, no problem with that.

GVGjr
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Bate 192cm.

Bate is 192cm but is very much a ground level player. Shaggy could cover him

Rocco Jones
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I find the Addison out calls a little confusing.

He has played 3 games in Picken's outside tag role for the following results:

Sherman: Forget just keeping Sherman quiet, Dylan flat out beat him.
Knights: Kept him to 17 disposals, only 5 of which were kicks and 1 goal.
Goddard: Goddard was still strong but he not as dominate as was against us last year.

It seems like a lot of people really have a much higher benchmark for the 22nd spot in a 3-3 side than I. Dylan is actually filling a role in the side as opposed to others who seem to offer either ordinary running depth or yet another immobile forward/defender.

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I am the first to admit that i am not a fan of Addison but the last 3 games he has been very good and his decision making has been spot on. Going to be a tough MC meeting this week but i would make one change and bring in Boyd for Williams in a horses for courses policy as i dont think Williams has a match up this week. Tell him to go to Willi go for his marks and assure him he will be back in the week later. Will also make the Minson change if Roughead does not come up

Rocco Jones
02-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Will also make the Minson change if Roughead does not come up

Yep. I share GVGjr's concerns over the AFL ruck demands on Roughead's young body. I hope we rest him if there's any reasonable doubt.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Goddard: Goddard was still strong but he not as dominate as was against us last year.

It seems like a lot of people really have a much higher benchmark for the 22nd spot in a 3-3 side than I. Dylan is actually filling a role in the side as opposed to others who seem to offer either ordinary running depth or yet another immobile forward/defender.

Agree with what you've posted Rocco.

Addison has been one of our better performed players in the last three weeks. I've been impressed with his ability to win one on one contests both in the air and on the ground. His disposal has improved a lot, too. The only gripe I have is that he seems to fumble a couple of balls a game which can be costly. Other than that - he's doing a very good job and is under no pressure to be replaced at this stage.

While they won't be dropped (and shouldn't be), Johnson and Aker are costing us. Neither are generating many goal scoring opportunities, and they've missed the ones they've had. We need much, much more out of them because all the pressure is on Hall. If he doesn't kick 5+ we don't win.

chef
02-05-2010, 05:03 PM

I thought Williams has looked comfortable playing on shorter opponents as well.

Rocco Jones
02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I thought Williams has looked comfortable playing on shorter opponents as well.

Really? Enough to warrant a spot in our 22?

I find it really surprising that we keep on losing games to quality sides after being totally run off our legs yet very few posters want us to bring in extra runners.

Hmmm, we get run off our legs. We have Lake, Williams, Morris, Shaggy and Everitt as tall defensive options, Hall, Bobby, Johnson, Hahn and Grant as out and out forwards and two pure ruckmen every week.

chef
02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Really? Enough to warrant a spot in our 22?

I find it really surprising that we keep on losing games to quality sides after being totally run off our legs yet very few posters want us to bring in extra runners.

Hmmm, we get run off our legs. We have Lake, Williams, Morris, Shaggy and Everitt as tall defensive options, Hall, Bobby, Johnson, Hahn and Grant as out and out forwards and two pure ruckmen every week.

Yeah, IMO he should be played as the 2nd tall defender allowing Morris to play on players he's suited to with Hargrave or Everitt picking up the 3rd defender slack.

I think the choice is between Everitt or Hargrave. Is there room in our team for both?

Or could we go with just Hudson in the ruck and have Everitt and Williams(he's probably never played in the ruck before:o) pinch hitting, this would open up a spot for another runner.

Bulldog Joe
02-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I see Minson for Roughead as essential this week and going forward. If not we are going to wear Hudson out as Roughy cannot carry sufficient load.

Interesting that the last 10 mins we struggled to get a clearance, when it is nornally a strength of both Hudson and Minson. Will has played some great last quarters over his career.

Obviously Boyd comes back, but after watching a replay I am not sure who should make way.
Eagle is better on the expanses at the G
Higgins was better than I first thought.
Grant made progress in both games - Just a little composure with his kicking required.
The back 6 are all going OK, even if we have made a few blunders and Williams was much better than reading the boards would indicate. - The last quarter fumble was more Hahn's mistake.
The player that made the most critical error was Barry - no calls for him to go.

I think we need to look at fitness and maybe rest someone with niggles.
It is likely to be another intense game with Melbourne having belief. We need to be switched on from the start and just take control and maintain control for 4 quarters.

EasternWest
02-05-2010, 11:59 PM

Me too, but I guess we all see different things out there. Sometimes we're so attuned to something that when one player errs, it stands out to us, but we can hardly notice it when another does the same thing.

As I said earlier to Doc26's reply, I've got no problem with his opinion or reasons for it, I just disagree (bias aside). Dylan has been good, and deserves to stay in, IMO.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 12:25 AM

I was basing my selection of Addison out, based on team selection history.

hujsh
03-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Me too, but I guess we all see different things out there. Sometimes we're so attuned to something that when one player errs, it stands out to us, but we can hardly notice it when another does the same thing.

As I said earlier to Doc26's reply, I've got no problem with his opinion or reasons for it, I just disagree (bias aside). Dylan has been good, and deserves to stay in, IMO.

Agree. He's reminding us why he became a regular in 2008 before his injury.

AndrewP6
03-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Perhaps as a Rd 7 change, I'll put - AndrewP6's avatar... :)

chef
03-05-2010, 08:21 AM

He certainly does, he's been doing his job well and is no chance to be dropped.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 09:57 AM

We are getting run off our legs late in games because we are simply not as fit as we were at this time last year when we were finishing all over teams.

We are failing to run out four quarters - it's as simple as that. It is not a speed thing. We are failing to run into space to create opportunities. We are failing to run with the ball to take the game on because we don't have it in our legs.

Too often against St Kilda we took the easy option of kicking backwards because there was little to no movement upfield.

I am hoping with every thing I have that our fitnes is being timed to peak at the season's end as Geelong did last year and Hawthorn the year before

chef
03-05-2010, 10:03 AM
We are getting run off our legs late in games because we are simply not as fit as we were at this time last year when we were finishing all over teams.
We are failing to run out four quarters - it's as simple as that. It is not a speed thing. We are failing to run into space to create opportunities. We are failing to run with the ball to take the game on because we don't have it in our legs.

Too often against St Kilda we took the easy option of kicking backwards because there was little to no movement upfield.

I am hoping with every thing I have that our fitnes is being timed to peak at the season's end as Geelong did last year and Hawthorn the year before

No we weren't, go back and have a look at how we finished games between rounds 3 and 6 last year. From my memory WCE, Saints and Carlton all ran out the games better than us. We looked tired.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 10:15 AM

I think there is a direct correlation between the age of our team (at present) and the inability of the team to run games out.

Go_Dogs
03-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I think there is a direct correlation between the age of our team (at present) and the inability of the team to run games out.

Does one (or more) of Hahn, Akermanis and Johnson have to make way?

I'm beginning to think we may only be able to play one of them come September if we want to be competitive.

OLD SCRAGGer
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm beginning to think we may only be able to play one of them come September if we want to be competitive.

Here we go !!!!! Let's throw the baby out with the bath water shall we????:eek::eek:

DOG GOD
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM

I agree with this somewhat Griff. I think with the addition of Hall, and another year older for Aker and Johnno, our side has become very slow. Other than Harbrow, Cooney and Griffen we dont really have line breakers with pace.

When u have a fwd structure of Johnno, Hall, Higgins, Aker, Murph and Gia with Hahn thrown in there as well, we are VERY slow, and i think this will be a slight worry for the match committee.

Mofra
03-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I forgot Gilbee with my match ups. I seriously see him as an option to play on one of their dud talls. I know a few here are stuck in an era where playing a small on a tall is seen as madness but the game has changed. Dud KP forwards are exposed by innovative coaches and quality rebounders.
Agree.
Gilbee's coming of age in 2005 often involved him playing on the resting ruckman, and killing them with his disposal on the turnovers.
I remember a Saints game 4 years ago where Dal Santo outmarked Street in a one on one contest.
Quality > Size.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 10:56 AM

I think it's a wait and see thing. Give the forward group another 2 or 3 games together and see if they can lift their output.

Johnson and Akermanis are clearly struggling and it looks like 'father time' has whacked them with his big stick. Neither has kicked a goal this yera which clearly isn't good enough for players who would be expected to kick 30+ goals this season. Missing footy thru injury has obviously hampered them, but we really need to see some improvement shortly.

Go_Dogs
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Here we go !!!!! Let's throw the baby out with the bath water shall we????:eek::eek:

You don't feel there has been a common trend of a lack of speed and mobility (and subsequently defensive pressure) in the forward line this year?

In September on bigger grounds like the MCG the problem will be further compounded. The make up of our side has changed quite a bit, with Hall, Everitt and Williams all playing significant minutes (as well as Grant I guess too at the moment), and as a few have been pretty vocal about, we look a bit short on for run and midfield rotations.

The guys I have mentioned are becoming increasingly one-dimensional in that, their best spot is inside the F50. Johnson was alright further up the field a week ago, but both he and Akermanis struggled further up the field against St Kilda. Whilst Hahn has been able to play the occasional role through the middle in previous years, it doesn't seem like it's on the cards any more, and regardless, not sure what his output would be like nowadays in such a role.

IMO, it's something we need to address, otherwise a good chance will disappear once again.

I think it's a wait and see thing. Give the forward group another 2 or 3 games together and see if they can lift their output.

Johnson and Akermanis are clearly struggling and it looks like 'father time' has whacked them with his big stick. Neither has kicked a goal this yera which clearly isn't good enough for players who would be expected to kick 30+ goals this season. Missing footy thru injury has obviously hampered them, but we really need to see some improvement shortly.

Agree with most of that Mantis. That we don't have any forwards (Stack, Hill etc) knocking down the door at VFL level means we will probably persist at least for a few more weeks with the current set up. We need to create some other options though, just in case things don't improve.

Hotdog60
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
There hasn't been any mention of Moles as an inclusion this week, except for one poster.

If his fit it gives us another runner, could he possible play in the half back to create run like Gilbee. I don't know how serious his ankle injury is, but he would have to be an option.

I'm unsure of exclusions, but as OP have said Williams looks like he may not have a role

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I think Eagle needs to make way for Boyd and Minson back in for Roughy if injured otherwise no more changes for this week.

I think our backline is looking a little unbalanced at the moment and can't help feeling it worked better without TommyW, maybe it's time to try him forward of center?

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 12:01 PM

No i think it's a valid question from Griffen#16

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 12:45 PM
I think Eagle needs to make way for Boyd and Minson back in for Roughy if injured otherwise no more changes for this week.

I think our backline is looking a little unbalanced at the moment and can't help feeling it worked better without TommyW, maybe it's time to try him forward of center?

Williams does some great spearing passes when hes forward of the centre he looks more calm and I trust him with the ball in his hands but when hes in the backline under pressure I worry when he gets the ball, I think its worth a shot!

Charlie the Wonder Dog
03-05-2010, 02:47 PM
When a joint pops out or partially out then pops back in of its own accord.

Hurts a bit when it happens. Hurts a lot when it cools down. That's why you see a lot of guys who sublux come back on but miss the next week.

much appreciated DFA.:)

Dry Rot
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM

Agreed. Johnno is a bit hard to tell right now, but Aker seems a shadow of his former self and half the time Hahn seems to lack a role.

And if that improvement doesn't come, how would you restructure the forward line? Seems like there could be one or two big names playing for Willi under that scenario.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Won't happen, but:

Out: Hahn, Roughie
In: Boyd, Minson

The immobile forwardline + one runner-light + too many ruckmen issue is addressed by removing Hahn, playing Boydy, and having Minnow be the resting forward + second ruck in place of Mitch.

Minnow WANTS to bash and crash anyway, let him do it up front. We won't lose too much in mobility as Hahn isn't exactly ballerina-lightfoot anyway. The only concern is goal output, but if Minnow can kick a few goals (or we create more with an extra runner) this would be addressed. Mitch only kicks bags against weaker sides anyway. We don't waste two spots on immobile, one-position roles, and we get another runner into the equation. If, during the game, we are too tall down back and need another tall up forward Lake can play the swingman.

Doc26
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Won't happen, but:

The immobile forwardline + one runner-light + too many ruckmen issue is addressed by removing Hahn, playing Boydy, and having Minnow be the resting forward + second ruck in place of Mitch.

Minnow WANTS to bash and crash anyway, let him do it up front. We won't lose too much in mobility as Hahn isn't exactly ballerina-lightfoot anyway. The only concern is goal output, but if Minnow can kick a few goals (or we create more with an extra runner) this would be addressed. Mitch only kicks bags against weaker sides anyway. We don't waste two spots on immobile, one-position roles, and we get another runner into the equation. If, during the game, we are too tall down back and need another tall up forward Lake can play the swingman.

Normally I would agree on the Hahn call although to be fair to him he was one of the few ageing rock stars to do something last weekend.

hujsh
03-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Won't happen, but:

Very tempting proposition Lantern, it would be more likely if Hahn had had a worse game on Friday but it does feel to be closer to our best 22 to play the game than our best 22 players.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Message to selectors never pick Eagleton when we play a defensive side as he never gets a kick when someone stands near him .Put him in against the crap sides when he can get by himself and look good.We will never win a flag with him in the side... talk about downhill skiers..hes the king...never picked up an opponent in his career

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM

So totally agree - I couldn't bear to think that our heart isn't in it, but they seem to be having brain fade, or something...

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I know it's a tad early but I really want to get my mind (kind of) off tonight's game.

I am not so much interested in who literally comes into and out of the side but more interested in the actual structure of the side.

My thoughts last week was williams wasnt required last week and when he fumbled in the last q it came home to roost .... a week spell might be wanted

Rocco Jones
03-05-2010, 09:05 PM
So totally agree - I couldn't bear to think that our heart isn't in it, but they seem to be having brain fade, or something...

Different to brain fades. Brain fades are what Williams, Minson and Lake have and have a lot more to do with lack of concentration than pressure.

Our biggest problem IMO is our mental fragility in the massive moments. We seem to be overtaken by the pressure and freeze/choke. It's like the predominate thought in most of our players minds in these moments is 'I really hope I don't stuff it up for the team'. The polar opposite of guys like Carey and Jarman.

boydogs
03-05-2010, 09:41 PM
It's like the predominate thought in most of our players minds in these moments is 'I really hope I don't stuff it up for the team'.

Is this a consequence of over developing our defensive game, and harnessing the attacking instincts of our players?

Rocco Jones
03-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Is this a consequence of over developing our defensive game, and harnessing the attacking instincts of our players?

That's a decent theory but finals tend to be played in a defensive/contested manner.

Dogs 24/7
03-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Thats how I see it. Rocket has maintained the older guys and losses faith in younger guys but when a loss occurs or we can't finish off a game it really does stand out that we need some fresher legs.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 09:28 AM
No we weren't, go back and have a look at how we finished games between rounds 3 and 6 last year. From my memory WCE, Saints and Carlton all ran out the games better than us. We looked tired.

No, you go back and have a look at those games.

We were belted by Carlton from the first bounce to the last but outscored W/C and St Kilda in the last quarters. In rounds 1- 3 we also outscored our oppositon in the last quarter.

This year come the last quarter we are out on our feet. On Friday night we had a seven day break and St Kilda had a six day break but they still ran all over the top of us.

chef
04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
No, you go back and have a look at those games.

We were belted by Carlton from the first bounce to the last but outscored W/C and St Kilda in the last quarters. In rounds 1- 3 we also outscored our oppositon in the last quarter.

This year come the last quarter we are out on our feet. On Friday night we had a seven day break and St Kilda had a six day break but they still ran all over the top of us.

I guess your memories better than mine:o.

We had more runners in our side at this time last year.

Hall, Williams, Grant and Murphy have replaced Hill, Picken, Ward and Boyd which could explain our lack of run in the last quarters.

Sedat
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Our biggest problem IMO is our mental fragility in the massive moments. We seem to be overtaken by the pressure and freeze/choke. It's like the predominate thought in most of our players minds in these moments is 'I really hope I don't stuff it up for the team'. The polar opposite of guys like Carey and Jarman.
Save for a golden run in tight matches around late 1999 to mid 2001 (and I savoured every single one of these amazing victories at the time), we almost never win the tight games decided by less than a kick. It has been happening for the best part of 20 years. The playing group has changed over multiple times during this period but still we fall short in clutch moments. I have so many of these games permanently imprinted in my memory, with R6 2010 v Saints the latest installment (PF 2009 v Saints, R21 2005 v Melbourne, first game against Wallace R3 2005 v Richmond, Knights Campbell rematch R16 2001 v Richmond, PF 1997, to name but a few).

Then there are those games where we come from a mile behind and almost without fail we just fall short - there are literally dozens of examples of these types of games over the years. As a supporter in the outer, I am never comfortable with our team if the scores are inside 2 goals late in a match because history has shown that we cannot close out the deal. As Rocco and others have alluded to, it's not the skill errors per se, but moreso the poor options taken, the lack of composure in moments of a match that require a clear head and sound judgement - even in the Mickey Mouse Cup, Bazza went with a stupid handball option that almost cost us a GF berth. Sometimes it is umpire driven intervention like the free kick against Skipper in R21 2005 (or lack of in the Knights Campbell rematch, when Nathan Brown had his head ripped off in the goal square), it might be that crucial centre clearance that invariably goes to the opposition (1994 QF v Geelong), it might be the crucial skill error, it might be the missed shephard (Huddo in 97). But there will always be something that somehow conspires against us.

Dogs supporters haven't developed this thick skin overnight - it has taken years of witnessing gut-wrenching defeats to give us this thick hide. I want to be proven wrong time and again but every time we are locked in a tight battle, my fatalistic streak has already mentally prepared for defeat. Whilst I'd love to think that the current group of senior players don't think the same way, I suspect that the majority of them are operating on hope rather than expectation in that situation.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Even when we were 20+ points up on Friday, I knew we had to kick just one more goal, because we have a history of losing unlosable matches.

You don't fall at the Prelim final hurdle multiple times over decades and defy simple laws of probability by fluking it. We are masters of our own downfall.

Maybe Rocket knows this and is just trying to appease the footy gods early in the season rather than at the pointy end. Is this why a professional football team with full-time footballers and a coaching staff of thousands forgot to assign someone to man up Fisher at the game defining boundary throw in when even the under-9s coached by Jason's mum would have known to do so?

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Won't happen, but:

In find it hard to believe that you would want to drop Roughhead who is the future of the club. The injection of both Grant and Roughhead has been long overdue as too many players get selected each week without any pressure on them. Good teams turn over players. Have a look at Collingwood's infusion of Wellingham, Beams, Sidebottom and Dawes by comparison.

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 06:08 PM
In find it hard to believe that you would want to drop Roughhead who is the future of the club. The injection of both Grant and Roughhead has been long overdue as too many players get selected each week without any pressure on them. Good teams turn over players. Have a look at Collingwood's infusion of Wellingham, Beams, Sidebottom and Dawes by comparison.

Dawes is an interesting one. A friend of mine who follows the pies had been talking him up all last year. I just laughed him off saying he looked soft, weak and slow.

This year he's looking like he's spent all summer on scary pills, because he suddenly looks big and mean. And he seems to be playing quite well.

I agree that sometimes the infusion of fresh meat is just the thing, but I think from a preservation standpoint Roughie will probably be in and out of the seniors this year.

G-Mo77
04-05-2010, 06:15 PM

I think you'll find that Roughead might be unavailable after popping his shoulder out last week. I don't think anyone would ask for him to be dropped, he's performed well in both games he has played.

Bulldog Joe
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I think you'll find that Roughead might be unavailable after popping his shoulder out last week. I don't think anyone would ask for him to be dropped, he's performed well in both games he has played.

Well I am asking for Roughy to be replaced by Minson this week regardless of fitness.

Roughead will not stand the week in week out at the top level and he was soundly beaten in the Ruck by St Kilda.

He is the future - lets not destroy it before it can be properly nurtured.
He has had a taste which will highlight to him where he needs to improve. Time to go back to Willi and work on the improvements.

hujsh
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Well I am asking for Roughy to be replaced by Minson this week regardless of fitness.

Roughead will not stand the week in week out at the top level and he was soundly beaten in the Ruck by St Kilda.

He has had a taste which will highlight to him where he needs to improve. Time to go back to Willi and work on the improvements.

Absolutely. The last thing we'd want to with Roughead is treat him the way Fraser got treated.

GVGjr
04-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Agree with this. It's not a knock on Rougheads form or ability but we don't want to run him into the ground.

bornadog
05-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Agree with this. It's not a knock on Rougheads form or ability but we don't want to run him into the ground.

I would give him another week, which also gives Minno another week before we play the Swans.

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Apparently Johnson is injured again, from what I heard on the radio

In: Minson, Wood
Out: Roughead (inj), Johnson (inj)

Go_Dogs
05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Apparently Johnson is injured again, from what I heard on the radio

In: Minson, Wood
Out: Roughead (inj), Johnson (inj)

No room for Boyd, or think he might miss again through injury?

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 02:01 PM

As others have alluded to, Roughie is injured, which was my reason for his exclusion. I think he has done incredibly well as well (although we must apply Sockeye's 20-game rule -- where we overrate the contributions of youth -- to get a true indication of his worth).

Minnow has done brilliantly in the 2s, and won't offer any less than Roughie coming back up.

bornadog
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
In Boyd

Out Johnno

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 04:51 PM
No room for Boyd, or think he might miss again through injury?

Ummmmmmmm..... yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeesssssssss?! ;)

Whoops, forgot about Billy. If he's ready to go, bring him back, but don't rush him and do more damage to that hand

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Roughhy wasnt on the injury list not even as a test so he should proberly be alright, Moles wasnt either.

chef
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
In Boyd

Out Johnno

Same for me. One more week at Willi for Big Willie.

comrade
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Out: Johnno, Roughy

Our lack of run in each of our losses this year can probably be attributed to our forward line being too top heavy, causing our midfield rotations to be completely chewed up.

Johnno’s injury could be a blessing in disguise, as he really struggled to have any impact further up the field, and gives us an opportunity to slot Boyd straight back in.

If I had my way, we’d find a way to fit either Moles or Wood, give Hahn a spell and ramp up our midfield run.

We will crush the Demons, IMO.

GVGjr
05-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Out: Johnno, Roughy

Our lack of run in each of our losses this year can probably be attributed to our forward line being too top heavy, causing our midfield rotations to be completely chewed up.

Johnno’s injury could be a blessing in disguise, as he really struggled to have any impact further up the field, and gives us an opportunity to slot Boyd straight back in.

If I had my way, we’d find a way to fit either Moles or Wood, give Hahn a spell and ramp up our midfield run.

Very likely changes I would have thought and we will be ramped up to play a good game.

We haven't really turned it on this season (I didn't think we did against the Tiges) so look out Dees.

chef
05-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Yep, we will come out breathing fire.

Doc26
05-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Minnow has done brilliantly in the 2s, and won't offer any less than Roughie coming back up.

Will certainly wouldn't offer any less dumb frees against.

Mofra
05-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Will certainly wouldn't offer any less dumb frees against.
He certainly has done his penance.
Week 1: 13 tackles (!)
Week 2: BOG

Credit is due to Will for taking his medicine and working hard. A few players could learn from his example. I hope in the rush to bag him out some of our supporters acknowledge his efforts.

Rocco Jones
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Credit is due to Will for taking his medicine and working hard. A few players could learn from his example. I hope in the rush to bag him out some of our supporters acknowledge his efforts.

Despite my concerns about having two pure ruckmen in the side, I do respect/appreciate his efforts. I don't think his problems come from a lack of effort or desire.

Definitely want him in this week as I really want us to look after Roughead and along with Hudson is suited to taking on Jamar. Then we play the Swans, if we are ever going to play Will it's against them.

Doc26
05-05-2010, 10:37 PM

Can't question Will's desire, work ethic and attitude. Maybe he tries too hard. Hopefully he can work to resolve his concentration and composure issues. An in sync Will would make a difference to our chances this year.

Rocco Jones
05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Can't question Will's desire, work ethic and attitude. Maybe he tries too hard. Hopefully he can work to resolve his concentration and composure issues. An in sync Will would make a difference to our chances this year.

I think it's more of a case of him not getting what constructive aggression/hard work is at times.

bornadog
05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote from Eade : Sportal (http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/injured-johnno-can-respond-90648)

Boyd trained strongly on Wednesday and Eade says his midfield ball magnet was "raring to go" ahead of Friday night's must win contest.

Goalsneak Josh Hill, back-up ruckman Will Minson and youngster Brennan Stack are also in contention for a senior call-up.

Go_Dogs
06-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I really hope Stack gets to string a few AFL games together this year. Would be a great result if it clicked as he's the sort of player that we could really use at the moment.

Mantis
06-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I really hope Stack gets to string a few AFL games together this year. Would be a great result if it clicked as he's the sort of player that we could really use at the moment.

One would think that with Johnson & Akermanis likely to be rested at certain times (including this week) Brennan will be given opportunities to stake a claim for a new contract.

The kid has talent, he just has to start showing it on a more consisitent basis. In saying that his performance last week at VFL level was encouraging.

The Adelaide Connection
06-05-2010, 02:14 PM
A little off topic, but when is the final trainng session? Just flew into town and was wondering if it's worth heading down to WO

The Coon Dog
06-05-2010, 02:18 PM
A little off topic, but when is the final trainng session? Just flew into town and was wondering if it's worth heading down to WO
Would have been this morning.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2010, 02:48 PM
One would think that with Johnson & Akermanis likely to be rested at certain times (including this week) Brennan will be given opportunities to stake a claim for a new contract.

The kid has talent, he just has to start showing it on a more consisitent basis. In saying that his performance last week at VFL level was encouraging.

Is it worth bringing Stack in this week? Whilst he hasn't earned the opportunity, it might be worth throwing the ball over to him. He knows he has to start producing and perhaps he's a player that will benefit from AFL exposure as to wondering around in the seconds.

More to the point, our forward line structure hasn't looked great this season. Hall is in good form but the rest have been up and down. We need a bit of zip, it could be a good chance to include Stack for this purpose.

The Adelaide Connection
06-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Ah rats. Thanks for that anyways.

Re: changes
I am suprised that we have moved off Moles so quickly, he was one of the best through the preseason and I thought his last game, while he did butcher it a few times, was still very good.

Mantis
06-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Is it worth bringing Stack in this week? Whilst he hasn't earned the opportunity, it might be worth throwing the ball over to him. He knows he has to start producing and perhaps he's a player that will benefit from AFL exposure as to wondering around in the seconds.

More to the point, our forward line structure hasn't looked great this season. Hall is in good form but the rest have been up and down. We need a bit of zip, it could be a good chance to include Stack for this purpose.

I can't see why not, all points raised are relevant and we do need some added pace up forward and thru the midfield.

We will probably have Boyd for Johnson and possibly Minson for Roughead. Who goes for Stack??.... Do you really need an answer. ;)

Sockeye Salmon
06-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Ah rats. Thanks for that anyways.

Re: changes
I am suprised that we have moved off Moles so quickly, he was one of the best through the preseason and I thought his last game, while he did butcher it a few times, was still very good.

If Moles is fit I'd bring him straight back in at the expense of Williams.

Out: Johnson, Williams

The Roughead/Minson choice is a bit meh, whatever the match committee feel like.

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 03:12 PM
If Moles is fit I'd bring him straight back in at the expense of Williams.

Out: Johnson, Williams

The Roughead/Minson choice is a bit meh, whatever the match committee feel like.

I thought Roughie was injured?

bornadog
06-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I thought Roughie was injured?

Not officially, so who knows?

G-Mo77
06-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Not officially, so who knows?

It was talked about earlier. He had a shoulder subluxation on Friday night in the 2nd quarter usually the pain and swelling start well after it happened so that is why he was able to finsih the game. It can reoccur very easily if not treated properly. The kid is far to young to work over like that, I'm also certain he'll get some time to rest up this week and maybe the next.

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 05:04 PM
It was talked about earlier. He had a shoulder subluxation on Friday night in the 2nd quarter usually the pain and swelling start well after it happened so that is why he was able to finsih the game. It can reoccur very easily if not treated properly. The kid is far to young to work over like that, I'm also certain he'll get some time to rest up this week and maybe the next.

This is what I thought. But if you can get knocked out twice in a game and still come back on, who knows, indeed.