PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead

Scorlibo
01-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Okay I'm filthy at the moment - like everyone else - but sometimes it does well to look at the bigger picture.

One way to look at our season so far, as many are, is that we have beaten the easy sides and lost to the good ones. Against each of Collingwood, Brisbane and St Kilda, however, we have been in a winning position only to blow it in the latter stages of the game. I don't mean to gloss over the shocking finishes, or make excuses for them, but we ARE better than our ladder position currently suggests, we ARE playing well enough to win the premiership for 3 quarters. Just trying to look on the bright side.

So here we are, after 6 rounds, with just 3 wins. We need to win at least 15 games to be in top 4 contention, once in the top four anything can happen. That's a ratio of 15:7, roughly 2.14. Meaning that if we win 4 of our next 5, we are nearly on track, and if we win all 5, we are more than on track.

Rnd 7 vs Melbourne: This is a must win, although they are in good form, they are a side still learning and we should be able to beat them easily.
Rnd 8 vs Sydney: This will be very tough, and could prove a season defining game.
Rnd 9 vs North Melbourne: A should win and a must win.
Rnd 10 vs Essendon: Ditto.
Rnd 11 vs Collingwood: If we could beat them, it might just turn out a fitting revival.

Maybe I'm just an optimistic person, but I don't mind our chances of squaring up that top four ratio. The next two matches are crucial though.

I remember in 2007, Geelong lost a few early games they could have won, and weren't really looking dangerous, but then snapped into gear and won a whole lot in a row - set up a dynasty even. It's not out of the question.

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 01:33 AM
I like your optimism, but I can't replicate it. After that appalling loss, I'll be glad if we even make finals

G-Mo77
01-05-2010, 01:37 AM
I did just the opposite of this thread tonight on the long drive back.....

Looking back.

To be the best you have to beat the best. Over the last few years when we have been up and around the top 4 do we really have many quality scalps under our belt? I really can't think of to many we seem to hit the top 4 sides and lose but beat everyone else. The more we lose to the elite sides the more it concerns me.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2010, 01:39 AM
I did just the opposite of this thread tonight on the long drive back.....

Looking back.

To be the best you have to beat the best. Over the last few years when we have been up and around the top 4 do we really have many quality scalps under our belt? I really can't think of to many we seem to hit the top 4 sides and lose but beat everyone else. The more we lose to the elite sides the more it concerns me.

We did beat both Geelong and Collingwood in the last few weeks of last years season. As they say 2 out 3 aint bad.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 01:42 AM
We did beat both Geelong and Collingwood in the last few weeks of last years season. As they say 2 out 3 aint bad.

And we beat Hawthorn handily in the H&A season in their premiership year, but they kicked our butt in the finals.

I'd rather beat the Saints at the big dance (or closer) than in Rd 5, frankly, and it's not like we got our butts handed to us. If anything, we tore Kosi, Goddard et al a good one, but lost because we didn't take our opportunities.

Don't listen to the media this week -- they were dirty on Collingwood after they lost to the Saints, but if they played again, the result would probably go the other way. Let the media focus on the 'mental resilience' of the Saints, they can't keep this up for 20 weeks.

G-Mo77
01-05-2010, 01:44 AM

The Collingwood one was virtually a dead game but the Geelong one is the only realy one that stands out.

Finals wins against Brisbane and Sydney in Melbourne in the last 2 years are really nothing to brag about. :o

angelopetraglia
01-05-2010, 01:47 AM
The Collingwood one was virtually a dead game but the Geelong one is the only realy one that stands out.

Finals wins against Brisbane and Sydney in Melbourne in the last 2 years are really nothing to brag about. :o

In 2008 we beat the Hawks and the Saints twice. We have performed OK against the quality teams but to take the next step we need to beat them when it really counts.

KT31
01-05-2010, 01:52 AM
In 2008 we beat the Hawks and the Saints twice. We have performed OK against the quality teams but to take the next step we need to beat them when it really counts.

We need to beat quality teams every time we play them to assert ourselves.

G-Mo77
01-05-2010, 01:55 AM

You're right we did knock off the Saints twice that year. Easy to forget after watching these mongrels beat us the last 4 times we have played. :mad:

Remi Moses
01-05-2010, 02:36 AM
Realisticly if the Dogs are serious they should win the next 4,but the Sydney game is going to be telling

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:38 AM
We can't lose no more if we want to be a top 4 side, the way this season is going.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:51 AM
I also lack any optimism. I don't think we are a side that can do any damage in September. Over the past few years we have been a good team but has never been able to land that killer blow. We always keep the opposition in the game and tonight was no exception. St. Kilda were missing their best and most important player and we still couldn't win. How can we have any hope? We can't beat them in Round 6 what makes you think we can beat them on the big stage?

Pickenitup
01-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I think we will improve especially when we get our number1 midfielder back in Boyd
our Number 1 tagger in picken and one of our best younsters in Ward back in soon we will bounce back

comrade
01-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Earlier in the week, I had a play around with the Ladder Predictor; I had us down for a loss against the Saints, but still making top 4 on 14 wins. Like last year, we've basically got a 5 loss range for the rest of the season.

Looking at our next four weeks, we should win them all and get to the Round 11 match with Collingwood in pretty good shape. We win that on the back of a month full of wins and the feeling after last night would have been diluted.

I'm switching off the computer now and going out to enjoy some fresh air. It's like a cyber-morgue when the Bulldogs have a loss and does nothing for my mood :D

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 10:52 AM
The side we fielded last night should have won, full stop. On paper it is as good as any one in the competion. Just not playing well. Rocket will be the first to admit that.

FlightoftheCallanWards
01-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Earlier in the week, I had a play around with the Ladder Predictor; I had us down for a loss against the Saints, but still making top 4 on 14 wins. Like last year, we've basically got a 5 loss range for the rest of the season.

Looking at our next four weeks, we should win them all and get to the Round 11 match with Collingwood in pretty good shape. We win that on the back of a month full of wins and the feeling after last night would have been diluted.

I'm switching off the computer now and going out to enjoy some fresh air. It's like a cyber-morgue when the Bulldogs have a loss and does nothing for my mood :D

This sort of reminds me of last year's Geelong game. Lost a game we could have easily won and bounced back with I think 4 or 5 wins in a row against inferior opposition. Hopefuly it's the boot up the arse we need ;)

Too good a day outside to be wallowing in self-pity :)

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
We've lost 3. Do we need to lose every second week to win the next? I hope not.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
OK I will qualify what I am about to post by stating I have yet to watch last nights game.

That said, while I am bitterly disappointed I am probably not as filty as I would be had I been there or watched (as I had planned to).

Ultimately I am still very optimistic about season 2010.

Heres why:

- we are not a sooks (sorry) Saints or a Geelong, we simply cannot maintain the intensity week in and week out like those two sides so we will fluctuate.
- in the games we have lost this year we were in them (for most part) and should have won them, so our ability and intensity is capable of getting the job done against anyone.
- its a very long season, I care far more about how we are playing in September than in Apri
- I am confident we can win the 14/15 games we need to finish top four.
- I also have confidence that our coach has learnt something from the last couple of years (remember when we used to bemoan the lack of a plan B?)
- in spite of being 3 and 3 we undoubtedly have a large amount of improvement in us.

there you go, my 2 cents worth.

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 11:42 PM
The Collingwood one was virtually a dead game :o

Except that it was for 3rd place and the chance to avoid St Kilda who we were assured were the more difficult opposition and whom we hadn't beaten for some time.

bornadog
01-05-2010, 11:54 PM

and Johnno had a shot on the siren and we could have beaten Geelong twice. Don't worry, we are a top side. Just have to find a way to beat ugly footy.

bornadog
01-05-2010, 11:58 PM
2009 first six rounds.

Fremantle.... W
North Melbourne.... W
Richmond.... W
West Coast.... L
Carlton.... L
St Kilda.... L

LostDoggy
02-05-2010, 01:24 AM
deja vu hopefully

MrMahatma
02-05-2010, 03:02 AM

I've watched the Geelong game a fair few times and I don't really rate it.

Cats had nowhere to go from the top 2 - nothing to play for. And they played horribly - more turnovers in that game than they probably had in any game over the past 3 years. We only won by about 4 goals.

When the heat is turned up, and the game is on, we simply don't win. The cats loss by 1 point is the closest one, but the fact remains we couldn't get the job done.

I'm not terribly pessimistic about the 'season' - but I am about our chance to win a flag. If I was to be brutally honest and look from a unbiased point of view I'd say we'll never win one. We have loads of 'match winners' - but none that actually seem to stand up when the match needs winning... and not in big matches. We choke. We come out and bully lesser opposition, but then can't deliver against the decent sides.

comrade
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I've watched the Geelong game a fair few times and I don't really rate it.

Cats had nowhere to go from the top 2 - nothing to play for. And they played horribly - more turnovers in that game than they probably had in any game over the past 3 years. We only won by about 4 goals.

When the heat is turned up, and the game is on, we simply don't win. The cats loss by 1 point is the closest one, but the fact remains we couldn't get the job done.

I'm not terribly pessimistic about the 'season' - but I am about our chance to win a flag. If I was to be brutally honest and look from a unbiased point of view I'd say we'll never win one. We have loads of 'match winners' - but none that actually seem to stand up when the match needs winning... and not in big matches. We choke. We come out and bully lesser opposition, but then can't deliver against the decent sides.

You sound exactly like my Geelong supporting mates after that North loss in 2007.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Guys lets not forget we haven't yet had our best 22 out on the field yet, That said yes we should have had at least one more win. I'm sure that the boys will be filthy that they let the saints get over the top and hopefully that is a valuable lesson learnt. I'm confident that we can win the next 6 games as we kicked poorly against the pies and they came out with nothing to lose round one.

Minson, Johnson, Eagle all had poor preseasons and should come good over the next few weeks.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Guys lets not forget we haven't yet had our best 22 out on the field yet, That said yes we should have had at least one more win. I'm sure that the boys will be filthy that they let the saints get over the top and hopefully that is a valuable lesson learnt. I'm confident that we can win the next 6 games as we kicked poorly against the pies and they came out with nothing to lose round one.

Minson, Johnson, Eagle all had poor preseasons and should come good over the next few weeks.

Lack of strong inside players in Boyd, Picken and Ward is proving costly. We simply allowed the Saints to play the game on their terms. Too much time wasted going backwards or across the ground without moving the ball forward at all costs which we are capable of doing. Hall was swamped all night with 2-3 players dropping back on him because of our refusal to play the corridor with quick movements.
We need to keep injecting young blood into the side. Roughhead and Grant have both added something to the side.. It might be time to think about Eagleton's value to the side and Johnnno's value dare I say it might be more useful in playing him off the bench in short sharp bursts.Our three best players against St. Kilda in Harbrow, Gilbee and Cooney,
showed the importance of leg speed, something we do not have in abundance.