PDA

View Full Version : How good was Harbrow???

gohardorgohome
01-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Let's look at the positives. I though Harbrow played the best indivitual game for any doggies player all year . The kid is a gun and should be proud of himself. I'd love to see him interviewed on the Marngrook footy show.

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 02:17 AM
He was terrific, deserved ALL the votes. Strangely, his great game made me even more sure he's off to GC :(

KT31
01-05-2010, 02:20 AM
If he hasn't already signed we can't afford him now.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Unbelieveable. On a different planet -- we would have lost a lot earlier without him. Really wish he would have taken on the zone a bit more in the attacking half of the field (backed off when he got into the teeth of the zone).

Off-topic, Hargrave looks a bit off the pace.

G-Mo77
01-05-2010, 02:32 AM

He has all season.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:47 AM
J. Harbrow.
3 Votes.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:54 AM
If he hasn't already signed we can't afford him now.

That's too bad. The club has blooded him and showed faith in him. It would be a shame to see him leave.

chef
01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Unbelieveable. On a different planet -- we would have lost a lot earlier without him. Really wish he would have taken on the zone a bit more in the attacking half of the field (backed off when he got into the teeth of the zone).

He could do with a run at Willi.

Back on Harbrow, he was awesome and he is easily my favourite player right now(don't brake my heart and stay at the Dogs).

Desipura
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Harbrow was clearly our best, was one of his best games ever for us. Although early days, keep playing like that and he will be in contention for All Australian.
His stocks would rise even further by seasons end.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I have a strong feeling that Harbrow will be a Gold Coast player next year.

His great game last night will just mean his value continues to increase.

Doc26
01-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Harbrow was outstanding and Gilbee wasn't too far back either.

Brilliant performances from these two.

btw Harbrow only receiving 104 SC points proves how stuffed up this form of ranking is. No one can tell me McQualter's (101 pts) game was virtually the equal of Harbrow's or Crossy's slightly superior (109 pts).

mighty_west
01-05-2010, 12:22 PM
He was terrific, deserved ALL the votes. Strangely, his great game made me even more sure he's off to GC :(

Well, if he is off to the GC, he's going no matter how he plays this season, the better he plays, the better position we will be in for some trade.

Just trying to find any positive at this stage....:)

Scorlibo
01-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Harbrow was outstanding and Gilbee wasn't too far back either.

Brilliant performances from these two.

btw Harbrow only receiving 104 SC points proves how stuffed up this form of ranking is. No one can tell me McQualter's (101 pts) game was virtually the equal of Harbrow's or Crossy's slightly superior (109 pts).

It was the nature of last night's game that did that to the scoring system. SC scores with possession footy don't reward players like Harbrow who break the lines. I think a tackles broken stat should be introduced, or more should be done with the metres gained stat. Would certainly give players like Harbrow and Griff a leg up in ranking points.

Jarrod was amazing, Gilbee wasn't far behind. They were the two biggest reasons why we only conceded 4 goals in 75 minutes of footy.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Scott Clayton called, he's just upped his offer by another $100K.

comrade
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
At least when we rort the best and fairest and give it go Harbrow to up our GC compensation, it won't seem so illegitimate.

Silver linings and all. :o

Go_Dogs
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
At least when we rort the best and fairest and give it go Harbrow to up our GC compensation, it won't seem so illegitimate.

Silver linings and all. :o

It seems everyone is resigned to the "fact" that we are going to lose Harbrow? Last night he put everything on the line for the Bulldogs jumper. Not sure someone who had signed with the GC would've done that.

Boy he's a great player. His ability to run through traffic and change direction is very good. Besides Rioli, he'd have to be one of the better movers around. Love his attack on the ball, the contest, and willingness to take the game on.

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
It seems everyone is resigned to the "fact" that we are going to lose Harbrow? Last night he put everything on the line for the Bulldogs jumper. Not sure someone who had signed with the GC would've done that.

The cynic in me says he's trying to raise his value to increase their offer.:(

Hot_Doggies
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
B&F and All-Australian might help compo.

If we don't win the flag this year, our 'window' will be shut for 3 yrs anyway.

Goodbye Johno, Aker,Eagle etc etc

Might have to add a few more names to that list (Cross,Hahn,Minson) to free up some coin for the likes of Harbrow.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Can't find a word in the English Dictionary to describe how Jaz played last night..so ill make up my own.

Simplythebest [sim-plee-the-best]
Definition: Better than all the rest.
Origin: April 30th 2010.

BulldogBelle
01-05-2010, 01:40 PM
We should be in a position to offer him a bit more coin at the end of the year. Johnno, Acker and Eagle all gone will free up the cash.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
We should be in a position to offer him a bit more coin at the end of the year. Johnno, Acker and Eagle all gone will free up the cash.

Johnno and Eagle are on the vet's list and Aker took a massive pay cut this year.

Fail.

Stefcep
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
not sure if spending the savings from Acker, Johnno and Eagle not playing is worth it for half back. There's 3 goal scorers that will need to be replaced and paid for.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Problem being Cooney and Griffen are going to need to see a fair bit of whatever that is, too.

Jasper
01-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I am surprised at the negativity. Significant positives to be taken out of the game:

Jarrad Grant plays his best game and looks AFL standard for the first time.
Harbrow and Gilbee in awesome form.
Everitt effort continues to impress.

I hate being April-July champions. I just want top 4, don't care if we scrape in. I think in the past few years our fitness has peaked too early. I hope that we are building to later this year and will run out games better.

Picken, Ward and Boyd to come back.
Johnno and Hargrave to improve.

Yes we need to work on our forward structure, yes there are some concerns. But realistically its early days and the signs are positive.

Biggest question mark is our mental capacity. Assuming we get top 4, our mental issues will only be overcome by winning the first final and then the prelim, and then a GF, just like Geelong in 07. I really think this year, we can't afford to lose the first final...people will say this is getting ahead, but really I think our list is a good enough to be top 4.

And frankly, beating StKilda last night without Reiwoldt and not in a final would have answered no questions about our ability. Its just 4 pts in April.

Hot_Doggies
01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Agree Everitt is trying harder and looking a lot better, still needs to get more of it.

Needs to be more dangerous.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I am surprised at the negativity. Significant positives to be taken out of the game:

I hate being April-July champions. I just want top 4, don't care if we scrape in. I think in the past few years our fitness has peaked too early. I hope that we are building to later this year and will run out games better.

Yes we need to work on our forward structure, yes there are some concerns. But realistically its early days and the signs are positive.

Biggest question mark is our mental capacity. Assuming we get top 4, our mental issues will only be overcome by winning the first final and then the prelim, and then a GF, just like Geelong in 07. I really think this year, we can't afford to lost the first final...poeple will say this getting ahead, but really I think our list is a good enough to be top 4.

And frankly, beating StKilda last night without Reiwoldt and not in a final would have answered no questions about our ability. Its just 4 pts in April.

That's the post I wanted to write, I'm just not so good at the putting-the-words-together-and-making-them-come-out-as-sentences thing.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Don't worry guys we will be there at the end.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
01-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Biggest question mark is our mental capacity. Assuming we get top 4, our mental issues will only be overcome by winning the first final and then the prelim, and then a GF, just like Geelong in 07. I really think this year, we can't afford to lose the first final...people will say this is getting ahead, but really I think our list is a good enough to be top 4.

what you said Kel

I just wrote the same thing on a different thread at the same time......

YOU ARE SCARING ME:D

Murphy'sLore
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Harbrow was ****ing amazing. Watching him was about the only highlight of the night. Think I might have found my new favourite player.

(I'll just have to enjoy it while it lasts... Of course he might stay...)

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Please stay Jarrod :(

comrade
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM

I reckon Griff and Coon might want some of that, too.

Dazza
01-05-2010, 05:17 PM
He is going to be an amazing player when he gets older he will be in the elite category, he is a seriously good talent that just tries his heart out every single week my fav. player in the team easily I just hope we can keep him somehow but it doesn't look good, we might need to get rid of a couple more players besides the retirees in Eagle, Aka & Johnno but its kind of hard to figure out who.

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Oh, AndrewP6, c'mon don't be so down.........

LostDoggy
01-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Listening to the game on radio, all I heard them call was......"and here is Harbrow, cleaning up and clearing again...., etc., etc" David Parkin actually called him as All Australian - and BOG, of course. Must have been a joy to see??

cinder
01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Harbrow was amazing and a shining light last night. He saved us from getting a flogging.

Dazza
01-05-2010, 05:34 PM
^^ It was I was at the game last night and he was immense - easily the best player on the ground.

lemmon
01-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Would rather ship off some of his more highly credentialed team mates to be honest. Keeping him must become a priority.

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Listening to the game on radio, all I heard them call was......"and here is Harbrow, cleaning up and clearing again...., etc., etc" David Parkin actually called him as All Australian - and BOG, of course. Must have been a joy to see??

Yep, even looking down from Level 3 he was terrific...

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh, AndrewP6, c'mon don't be so down.........

Sorry, just have a bad feeling this is his last year with us.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Fully agree but think you have missed one other highlight, Roughy looks like he'll be a player down the track once he bulks up and gets some experience, That said Harbrow was fantastic and really stacked a claim to get a run as a Midfielder, I remember he was interviewed and he said that was his goal, I think that he will stay as he would love to be in a successful team and if he gets a taste of the midfield it could be the icing on the cake.

Lets face it who wants to be only a back pocket player! ;)

stefoid
01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Interesting point - up until last night I wouldnt have though Harbrow had what it takes to be a midfielder, but his contested ball and ability to weave out of high pressure situations, including giving a couple of dont argues and breaking tackles... IF he can do that reliably he could be a real weapon in the midfield.

However, that then raises the issue of who to play in defence...

addison
wood
everitt
???

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I have a strong feeling that Harbrow will be a Gold Coast player next year.

His great game last night will just mean his value continues to increase.

Teddy help me here, I can never work out why such rumours persist. At the end of last season half the list was off to other places according to some and yet surprise, surprise they all wanted to stay.

Do you have anything to go on other than a growing appreciation of his talents and a sense that this makes him more attractive to other sides?

He's a level headed sort so I wonder if there is any sign that he is not happy at the Kennel which gave him a chance when nobody else did, and which has found him a role that he is increasingly excelling at, cause it seems to me the scales should be weighted on the side of his staying, especially if my understanding is correct that his immediate family is located in Victoria?

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Interesting point - up until last night I wouldnt have though Harbrow had what it takes to be a midfielder, but his contested ball and ability to weave out of high pressure situations, including giving a couple of dont argues and breaking tackles... IF he can do that reliably he could be a real weapon in the midfield.

However, that then raises the issue of who to play in defence...

addison
wood
everitt
???

Leave him where he is, he is refining the running back role with awesome intent.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Jon Ralph just said there is only one player he thinks has signed a heads of agreement with GC and that player was Harbrow.

malcolm Blight just smirked.

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Teddy help me here, I can never work out why such rumours persist. At the end of last season half the list was off to other places according to some and yet surprise, surprise they all wanted to stay.

Do you have anything to go on other than a growing appreciation of his talents and a sense that this makes him more attractive to other sides?

He's a level headed sort so I wonder if there is any sign that he is not happy at the Kennel which gave him a chance when nobody else did, and which has found him a role that he is increasingly excelling at, cause it seems to me the scales should be weighted on the side of his staying, especially if my understanding is correct that his immediate family is located in Victoria?

He grew up in Cairns, moved to Victoria to play footy with the Murray Bushrangers. On tonights Bombers Hawks telecast, Herald-Sun reporter (Jon Ralph I think) said he'd be the one going, and also that Gablett would likely be staying. That isn't gospel, as we know what a beacon of journalistic credibility the Hun is, but still...

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
He grew up in Cairns, moved to Victoria to play footy with the Murray Bushrangers. On tonights Bombers Hawks telecast, Herald-Sun reporter (Jon Ralph I think) said he'd be the one going, and also that Gablett would likely be staying. That isn't gospel, as we know what a beacon of journalistic credibility the Hun is, but still...

OK so he comes from Cairns but the Gold Coast is nearly 2,000 km from Cairns. It's not next door, so it's not a going home scenario. As I understand it one of his parents has a strong Goulburn Valley connection and they've relocated to Victoria and are settled here.

The media are what they are, rumours are worth more column inches than the facts and continually dragging up names of supposed GC recruits has been a godsend for otherwise uninspired hacks. His player manager would have a better idea of his intentions and whoever he is he is keeping the cards close to his chest as he should.

The journo maybe Ralph, was just echoing the latest chorus in the "Will he, won't he, won't he join the GC dance". It's not as if he appears to have uttered anything new or heaven forbid original. The media having driven themselves to frenzy over the Yablett move have now concluded that their efforts are still born and are casting around... and every Queenslander is obviously itching to return whence he came, so there's no need to ask him, is there?

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
OK so he comes from Cairns but the Gold Coast is nearly 2,000 km from Cairns. It's not next door, so it's not a going home scenario. As I understand it one of his parents has a strong Goulburn Valley connection and they've relocated to Victoria and are settled here.

The media are what they are, rumours are worth more column inches than the facts and continually dragging up names of supposed GC recruits has been a godsend for otherwise uninspired hacks. His player manager would have a better idea of his intentions and whoever he is he is keeping the cards close to his chest as he should.

The journo maybe Ralph, was just echoing the latest chorus in the "Will he, won't he, won't he join the GC dance". It's not as if he appears to have uttered anything new or heaven forbid original. The media having driven themselves to frenzy over the Yablett move have now concluded that their efforts are still born and are casting around... and every Queenslander is obviously itching to return whence he came, so there's no need to ask him, is there?

Yep, he moved to Moroopna when he came down here.

You're right of course, I'm just an eternal pessimist. Would love to be massively wrong on this one.

lemmon
01-05-2010, 10:44 PM
How would people feel if he were to leave? Pissed off that we gave him a chance only for him to play his best footy for someone else, or is it up to him to secure what's best for his future?

Personally I'd be fairly pissed off, we were the only club to give him a chance and I feel that he must repay this faith with performance.

AndrewP6
01-05-2010, 10:48 PM
How would people feel if he were to leave? Pissed off that we gave him a chance only for him to play his best footy for himself or is it up to him to secure what's best for his future?

Personally I'd be fairly pissed off, we were the only club to give him a chance and I feel that he must repay this faith with performance.

This.

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM

You're right of course, I'm just an eternal pessimist. Would love to be massively wrong on this one.

Don't get me wrong I've some anxiety too, but I'm not feeding it without evidence, and I'm looking for reasons why suggestions of his leaving might be misplaced.

alwaysadog
01-05-2010, 10:57 PM
How would people feel if he were to leave? Pissed off that we gave him a chance only for him to play his best footy for himself or is it up to him to secure what's best for his future?

Don't let's fall for the sucker punch of the media, the one that's never thrown but knocks down all those in it's path. Just because we are growing in our appreciation of his skills doesn't mean he's more likely to go, rather the converse.

I've only seen him a couple of times and my impression is one of a very level headed and self contained young man, I think he'll make the right decision. Then the media will head hunt someone else, after all there are still 700 potential victims not yet mentioned.

lemmon
01-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Don't let's fall for the sucker punch of the media, the one that's never thrown but knocks down all those in it's path. Just because we are growing in our appreciation of his skills doesn't mean he's more likely to go, rather the converse.

I've only seen him a couple of times and my impression is one of a very level headed and self contained young man, I think he'll make the right decision. Then the media will head hunt someone else, after all there are still 700 potential victims not yet mentioned.

I hope your right but when there's smoke there's often fire

GetDimmaBack
01-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I recall the media claiming "Chris Grant WILL sign with Port Adelaide today" back in 1996.

I seem to remember Scotty West was a done deal to Collingwood in 2000.

And Rohan Smith was apparently unable to resist a big offer from Sydney.

...and if JH does go, is he irreplaceable?

No one is...

chef
02-05-2010, 07:37 AM

Yeah, he's got a few cousins there.

chef
02-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I recall the media claiming "Chris Grant WILL sign with Port Adelaide today" back in 1996.

I seem to remember Scotty West was a done deal to Collingwood in 2000.

And Rohan Smith was apparently unable to resist a big offer from Sydney.

...and if JH does go, is he irreplaceable?
No one is...

Hell no.

The Pie Man
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Agree with almost all this post - except for one thing. The 'it's only 4 points in April' thing - our effort/intensity showed that we are top 4 quality, but we have to win enough games to get there. I'd hate to miss 4th by one game and play an elimination final

Still....at least we're not in Hawthorn's or Adealaide's positions :)

BulldogBelle
02-05-2010, 11:00 AM

Totally agree.

We starting to look better.

stefoid
02-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Leave him where he is, he is refining the running back role with awesome intent.

Up until last night I would have agreed with you - turning a good defender into an average midfielder would be a waste of time. However - the type of game he played last night: consistently winning hardball, shrugging tackles and weaving through heavy traffic.. if he could do that in the midfield he wouldnt be an average midfielder he'd be a great midfielder, and a super damaging one.

Consider, instead of weaving out of traffic and delivery a 40m pass from the defensive 50 into the middle of the ground -- doing it from the middle of the ground onto the chest of a leading forward. OUCH! that kind of thing can be done agaisnt the flow and change games.

boydogs
02-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Up until last night I would have agreed with you - turning a good defender into an average midfielder would be a waste of time. However - the type of game he played last night: consistently winning hardball, shrugging tackles and weaving through heavy traffic.. if he could do that in the midfield he wouldnt be an average midfielder he'd be a great midfielder, and a super damaging one.

Consider, instead of weaving out of traffic and delivery a 40m pass from the defensive 50 into the middle of the ground -- doing it from the middle of the ground onto the chest of a leading forward. OUCH! that kind of thing can be done agaisnt the flow and change games.

Or, weaving through traffic 40m from goal after crumbing the ball off a Hall marking contest and kicking the goal ;)

We have Gilbee, Hargrave and Everitt able to rebound from defense, and Cooney and Griff able to burst away from the middle - Harbrow could fill this role in the forward line

stefoid
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Or, weaving through traffic 40m from goal after crumbing the ball off a Hall marking contest and kicking the goal ;)

We have Gilbee, Hargrave and Everitt able to rebound from defense, and Cooney and Griff able to burst away from the middle - Harbrow could fill this role in the forward line

Harbrows biggest asset is his ability to break lines. Would be a waste to play him at the pointy end of the ground. Coaches tag line breakers in this age of zones and flooding, and for good reason. Nobody bothers to shut down the inside players these days because if the receiver is covered, the ball isnt leaving the stoppage area. Having Harbrow, Cooney and Griffen in the midfield.. at least one would break free.

I mean, Harbrow was magnificent against the saints, yet we didnt manage to score 50+ points.

Moles, Addison and Wood are probably the prime candidates to play half back, with Moles maybe the pick of the bunch. Would have slightly more time and space to play off half back, and he seems a decent enough kick.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 09:09 PM
SIGN HIM UP NOW!!!!! Dont let the little bugger go to the Gold Coast. He Was just about the only one to stand up to the pressure and create run from the back line. Saved us a heap of gols to me thinks.

The Adelaide Connection
03-05-2010, 10:33 PM

"...and one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea,
But for now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing that we see..."

Translation: He is here now and this still has the potential to be a massive year for us. Lets worry about the rest in October.

AndrewP6
03-05-2010, 10:58 PM
"...and one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea,
But for now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing that we see..."

Translation: He is here now and this still has the potential to be a massive year for us. Lets worry about the rest in October.

Don't shoot the messenger, I was just repeating what had been said. :)

The Adelaide Connection
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Don't shoot the messenger, I was just repeating what had been said. :)

Nah mate I didn't mean that to shoot anyone. I was just using the lyrics for a general "Carpe Diem" counter to all the media speculation (and indeed the forumite worry reflected in the entire thread) surrounding the potential GC situation. I only quoted yours because it was the last one I read. Sorry if you thought it was personal.

AndrewP6
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Nah mate I didn't mean that to shoot anyone. I was just using the lyrics for a general "Carpe Diem" counter to all the media speculation (and indeed the forumite worry reflected in the entire thread) surrounding the potential GC situation. I only quoted yours because it was the last one I read. Sorry if you thought it was personal.

Nah, no probs...

bornadog
20-06-2010, 10:20 PM
No match up today for Harbrow, so he played more as a midfielder. 29 disposals including 5 inside 50's was a pretty good effort. Should this be his new role?

Rocco Jones
20-06-2010, 11:12 PM
No match up today for Harbrow, so he played more as a midfielder. 29 disposals including 5 inside 50's was a pretty good effort. Should this be his new role?

Great move from Eade. With Wood and Shaggy in the side, we have a little more freedom to play Harbrow up the ground when match ups suit/don't suit.

MrMahatma
21-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Turns it over a lot.

LostDoggy
21-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Turns it over a lot.

yes but was worth a try in the midfield dont you think? the more flexible we are the better imo.he's not a spud, the kid will only get better the more time he spends up forward.

chef
21-06-2010, 08:49 AM

Only when he doesn't have a match up. He needs to play on Rioli next game.

Mantis
21-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Only when he doesn't have a match up. He needs to play on Rioli next game.

Why?

He played on Rioli earlier in the year and was soundly beaten. He has also struggled with Leon Davis in the past.

Perhaps Harbrow just isn't capable of holding down the smaller nimble players.

chef
21-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Why?
He played on Rioli earlier in the year and was soundly beaten. He has also struggled with Leon Davis in the past.

Perhaps Harbrow just isn't capable of holding down the smaller nimble players.

Still our best option IMO(Morris would have been, but his hands will be full elsewhere). Hargrave could also be an option, but I think Harbrow will get first crack.

Who would you play on him Mantis?

Mantis
21-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Still our best option IMO (Morris would have been, but his hands will be full elsewhere). Hargrave could also be an option, but I think Harbrow will get first crack.

Who would you play on him Mantis?

Harbrow or Picken, not sure yet which way I would go.

Picken to play a tight role.

Harbrow wouldn't be as good defensively, but might be able to work off him.

Greystache
21-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I was really pleased we gave Harbrow a try in the midfield, run out of defence is vital, which Harbrow does well, but the downside is he can be exposed defensively by good goal kicking small forwards. I think Wood can really add to the side by providing plenty of run but with his physical strength may not get exposed as often.

Harbrow playing up the ground will also add additional pace through the middle which we've looked to be lacking at times. I hope we give it an extended try.

Desipura
21-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I was really pleased we gave Harbrow a try in the midfield, run out of defence is vital, which Harbrow does well, but the downside is he can be exposed defensively by good goal kicking small forwards. I think Wood can really add to the side by providing plenty of run but with his physical strength may not get exposed as often.

Harbrow playing up the ground will also add additional pace through the middle which we've looked to be lacking at times. I hope we give it an extended try.
I thought Harbrow's hands were clean in the middle. A few times he gathered the ball without funbling and roosted the ball forward. Adds a different dimension in there, although would like him pushinf forward as well. Interesting Rocket mentioned after the game, that they would like him to go forward at some stage.

Mantis
21-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I thought Harbrow's hands were clean in the middle. A few times he gathered the ball without funbling and roosted the ball forward. Adds a different dimension in there, although would like him pushinf forward as well. Interesting Rocket mentioned after the game, that they would like him to go forward at some stage.

It looked like from the telecast that he started in the forwardline yesterday.

Ozza
21-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Harbrow is so much better in defence. I don't understand why we'd move him. He isn't a natural enough goal kicker up forward.

I've said this before and was pointed to a 'highlight package' of him kicking some goals - but I'd look good in a highlights package! His ability to weave his way out of defence and set up the play is outstanding. He looked lost yesterday until he got moved back into defence - and we looked better with him kicking and 'goose stepping' out of the backline.

Mofra
21-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Harbrow does grub teh ball a little at full pace, but his run will cut teams up and is very important to us.

Picken starting in defence is a positive for us: I can't think of a good match up for him against Hawthorn (Bateman's running worries me, but I'd like to set Eagle a task) so putting him in defence on Cyril releases Harbrow to play elsewhere.

Ozza
21-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Agree with Picko on Cyril. Picko's got the defensive capabilities to limit Cyril's influence, and my preference is to have Harbrow remain pretty attacking.

Mofra
21-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Agree with Picko on Cyril. Picko's got the defensive capabilities to limit Cyril's influence, and my preference is to have Harbrow remain pretty attacking.
Picken has a bit of mongrel in him as well; certainly more than the Brow. I remember him mashing Delideo's face in a marking contest last year and Lids wasn't happy about it one bit.

stefoid
21-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Murph has reasonable speed and is very good one on one. Could be a good matchup for Rioli?