PDA

View Full Version : Our next captain?

Pages : [1] 2

w3design
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
This was being discussed slightly in the Jarrad Grant thread. GVGjr posted this which really made me think:

I think your assessment of Giansiracusa is spot on but I don't necessarily think leaders of the club have to be the game breakers or match winners.
If he is the best leader of players we have then the "do as I say" approach is OK.

I was looking at the leadership group we have at the club and for a variety of reasons I don't think we have a standout.
- Murphy is too laid back
- Cooney attends club functions spending more time sending text messages than listening to the questions being asked of him
- Griffen really does shy away from setting the standard for the other players to follow
- Higgins probably 12 months away from serious consideration

And as a result of that guys that would otherwise not be regarded as match winners like Giansiracusa, Boyd, Cross and Morris seem to be the best candidates.

This is probably the wrong thread to go over this but our most gifted players don't seem to be ready for the top job.

I think he/she has covered it pretty well.

Thoughts?

Murphy'sLore
03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
It's going to be Missy, no question. He has a bearing of absolute confidence and swagger that is remarkable in a kid his age. He's the only one who looks like a natural leader.

Maybe Gia or Boyd to warm the seat in the short term but only as a temporary measure, I'd be surprised if Higgins doesn't slot straight into the spot.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
It's going to be Missy, no question. He has a bearing of absolute confidence and swagger that is remarkable in a kid his age. He's the only one who looks like a natural leader.

Doesn't play like a leader.

Not knowing if he is injured or not his defensive efforts were extremely poor at crucial times last week and these efforts are something that happen on an all too often occassion.

Hugely talented player, but needs to do more.

Ozza
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Doesn't play like a leader.

Not knowing if he is injured or not his defensive efforts were extremely poor at crucial times last week and these efforts are something that happen on an all too often occassion.

Hugely talented player, but needs to do more.

I agree.

Higgins probably frustrates me more than any other player. He is so talented, but seems to trot around fairly half paced when the opposition have the ball, and is far from a regular 4 Quarter performer.

I'd like to see a lot more urgency about his game. I think that could be whats required for him to improve further and become a gun player.

Desipura
03-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Nominated Boyd at the start of the season, nothing has changed. Is a true leader and is consistent. Needs to work on his media.

Doc26
03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Nominated Boyd at the start of the season, nothing has changed. Is a true leader and is consistent. Needs to work on his media.

Boydy for me too.

Shaun appears so laconic, looks like he could'nt care less if he was out there half the time. Not sure what's going on with him. He has been gifted a natural talent with silky skills but is lacking onfield intensity. Is he still carrying the effects of OP or is there something else going on with him ? He could be so much more than what we're seeing currently.

chef
03-05-2010, 01:16 PM
This was being discussed slightly in the Jarrad Grant thread. GVGjr posted this which really made me think:

I think he/she has covered it pretty well.

Thoughts?

With a name like Gary, I really hope GVGjr is a guy:D

On a serious note I would have Boyd as our next captain with Gia vice and Griffen and Higgins as the duty vices.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Shaun appears so laconic, looks like he could'nt care less if he was out there half the time. Not sure what's going on with him. He has been gifted a natural talent with silky skills but is lacking onfield intensity. Is he still carrying the effects of OP or is there something else going on with him ? He could be so much more than what we're seeing currently.

So who gives him the drilling? Coaching staff or other members of the leadership group?

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
So who gives him the drilling? Coaching staff or other members of the leadership group?

Our leadership group as a whole haven't exactly been setting the world on fire. Matt Boyd & Cooney aside, our leadership group is way down on output. I'd say it's time the coachs gave them a real stripping down and remind them that with leadership comes responsibilty.

Not seeing too many blokes taking responsibilty at the minute!

Go_Dogs
03-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Perhaps both. I don't think he needs a drilling, but perhaps a few home truths about his need to lift his intensity and work without the ball. (Although, besides the game against St Kilda, his tackling numbers haven't been too poor, even though I do agree that he needs to get better and show more intent in this area).

I don't think we have a clear cut leader, but believe Boyd is just about there. He continues to improve and extract the most out of himself every year, and has become a reliable, and consistent player. He's not our best ball user, but he'll give 100% every week, every contest and I think he has the ability to help pull his team mates over the line.

Would be great if a few of the younger generation in Cooney, Griffen and Higgins could take some big strides forward this year.

hujsh
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I'd take the easy option and have co-captains Gia and Boyd as they both bring important qualities to the table. I doubt it would happen as our club seems to go with the more traditional setup of one captain and a group below him.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I've said this on a different thread (they are all melting into one)...

While not our immediate next captain, we could do a lot worse than have Callan Ward groomed for the position two captains down the line ie. Boydy for a few years, then Ward.

Of course he has to get his body right first and cement his place in the side, and he has a bit to learn still, but even in his limited appearances so far, he has shown a willingness to put his head down and show leadership beyond his years to try and drag the whole team across the line, the Geelong game last year (where he torched Selwood in the 4th quarter) being the prime example. He also displays maturity beyond his years in many ways, and, youthful excesses notwithstanding, looks an outstanding role model and communicator.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Our leadership group as a whole haven't exactly been setting the world on fire. Matt Boyd & Cooney aside, our leadership group is way down on output. I'd say it's time the coachs gave them a real stripping down and remind them that with leadership comes responsibilty.

Agree with this.

Higgins has been very disappointing so far this year. As others have said, he's playing as though he's carrying something. Never been a huge physical presence on the field, but he's always been more than capable of winning the hard ball. He just doesn't seem to be getting involved at all at the moment, though.

Saw him on Saturday morning after the St. Kilda loss watching some local footy, seemed in good spirits.

EasternWest
03-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Higgins is a superstar talent, but doesn't work hard enough yet IMO. He also seems reticent to go when it's his turn. I think he will captain eventually, but I don't think the time is right yet.

Boyd for mine, Murph close.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm with Lantern 100%.

Also, I have a lot of respect for our leadership group and think that they are one of the best in the league. When was the last time there were any disciplinary issues within our playing group? I am not privy to insider club info, but I am scratching my head trying to remember the last time one of our boys played up enough for it to be reported in the media (something to do with Aker?).

I think that there is a lot of respect within our team for their leaders, and there is a lot to be said for the work ethic of players such as Boyd and Cross, and the influence they have on the younger boys in the team.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Maybe Gia or Boyd to warm the seat in the short term but only as a temporary measure, I'd be surprised if Higgins doesn't slot straight into the spot.

I'd like to see Higgins serve an apprenticeship first. He is (or was last season) the youngest member of the leadership group. Boyd offers more at this stage i think.

Scorlibo
03-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Higgins gets my vote. Has a really strong and respected voice around the guys, and he will be a star by the time he gets the captaincy meaning he will have the on field leadership down as well.

As long as Higgins goes when he needs to go, I don't see the problem with having an offensive player as our captain. I rate the ability to kick steadying goals and to keep a clear head in fast play higher than I rate the ability to apply strong defensive pressure when it comes to captaincy.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
As long as Higgins goes when he needs to go, I don't see the problem with having an offensive player as our captain. I rate the ability to kick steadying goals and to keep a clear head in fast play higher than I rate the ability to apply strong defensive pressure when it comes to captaincy.

So it's ok for the capatain to not chase or pick up an opponent when we need him to.... Talk about setting the right example.

AndrewP6
03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Boyd for mine... consistent, works his tail off, and shows what can be achieved through hard work. Higgins a candidate down the track, but too early IMO. As others have noted, he's a bit up and down. And it's purely opinion, I just think he needs more games under his belt (ditto Ward)

Rocco Jones
03-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I have had Higgins penciled in as our next captain but agree with what others have had to say about his season. I think at least some of it might be attributed to his body not being right but see that as another reason to avoid him as a captain choice. He needs to get his own game right first.

I know Gia is highly rated as a leader within the club. He seems seems the perfect captain off field and works hard. I spend much more time defending him than the opposite but he has a poor history of failing in big moments. I don't think it's a great example for the team and individually, I don't think it's good to put even more pressure on him.

Boyd is my pick. I am not privy to what happens inside the walls and if he isn't respect for some obviously I don't know, I am obviously OK for him not to be next. He isn't a natural in the media but we already have a few media heads, doesn't need to be the captain.

Scorlibo
03-05-2010, 06:34 PM
So it's ok for the capatain to not chase or pick up an opponenet when we need him to.... Talk about setting the right example.

It's important for any individual to do that, but it really isn't the sort of thing that lifts a team, players are concerned with a) their opponent, and b) the guy with the ball. In the case of our team, a) Higgins is their teammate, not their opponent and b) he will be able to inspire with his talents with the ball. More so than Boyd imo. As long as Higgins doesn't shy from contests (which he doesn't) and as long as he is a leader on the training track (which he is) he ticks all the boxes that a captain needs to.

w3design
03-05-2010, 06:41 PM
With a name like Gary, I really hope GVGjr is a guy:D

My mum's name is Gary:mad:

;)

Anybody think co-captaincy could be the way to go? worked for Sydney.

A Boyd/Gia combo, perhaps?

Boyd with his work ethic and Gia- who has filled in as captain, with his leadership experience.

Rocco Jones
03-05-2010, 06:47 PM
My mum's name is Gary:mad:

;)

Anybody think co-captaincy could be the way to go? worked for Sydney.

A Boyd/Gia combo, perhaps?

Boyd with his work ethic and Gia- who has filled in as captain, with his leadership experience.

I think Gia's work ethic is great, just struggles greatly with pressure.

comrade
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM

And sexiness - I mean - media friendliness.

w3design
03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
And sexiness - I mean - media friendliness.

Every club needs a face- thats why the Pies drafted Dale 'ladyboy' Thomas.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 06:56 PM
It's important for any individual to do that, but it really isn't the sort of thing that lifts a team, players are concerned with a) their opponent, and b) the guy with the ball. In the case of our team, a) Higgins is their teammate, not their opponent and b) he will be able to inspire with his talents with the ball. More so than Boyd imo. As long as Higgins doesn't shy from contests (which he doesn't) and as long as he is a leader on the training track (which he is) he ticks all the boxes that a captain needs to.

When we our players to pick their opponents in the last few minutes of Friday nights game to try and force a turnover Higgins was one player who wasn't working hard enough. A captain should be the one setting the example by busting his gut to get to his man and then getting stuck right into the bludgers who aren't. Higgins fits comfortably within the bludger group at present and until he gets out of it I don't think he is captaincy material.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Every club needs a face- thats why the Pies drafted Dale 'ladyboy' Thomas.

Dale Thomas does have a face but it is not particularly attractive. Medhurst on the other hand...

Gia is obviously gifted in the looks department, but Boydy does resemble Christian Bale who made a pretty hot batman. I am not sure why this would make him a good captain but batman was a good superhero so...

w3design
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Gia is obviously gifted in the looks department, but Boydy does resemble Christian Bale who made a pretty hot batman. I am not sure why this would make him a good captain but batman was a good superhero so...

This post wins on so many levels. Batman for the win. So badass.

Back on topic- GVGjr mentioned that Cooney seems disinterested at club functions, maybe if he was given the leadership he would straighten up and fly right. I remember before he was drafted after West Adelaide had one the Under 19's premiership (iirc) and Cooney was interviewed after the game. He summed it up beautifully, and paid tribute to teammates who were killed in a car-crash during the year. I just thought that on-field interview showed that he had leadership potential. Would be a worry whether he can captain a side and keep his own game on par, but he is surely a talent. Would also go a good way to keeping him at the club.

Bulldog Joe
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I think Gia probably heads the pack, but I would also be comfortable with Boyd or Cross who both work very hard.

Higgins has a long way to go on his current output.

The one I am impressed in for the future is Roughead. Have seen him speak at a function and shows natural leadership. In 5 or 6 years he could easily be the best captain material.

GVGjr
03-05-2010, 07:25 PM

Boyd is a standout guy at the club with a lot of tremendous qualities but I'd ask what separates him from Giansiracusa?
In an ideal scenario we would have some guys with game breaking skills which most of our better leaders (Boyd, Cross, Gia and Morris) don't.

Scorlibo
03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
When we our players to pick their opponents in the last few minutes of Friday nights game to try and force a turnover Higgins was one player who wasn't working hard enough. A captain should be the one setting the example by busting his gut to get to his man and then getting stuck right into the bludgers who aren't. Higgins fits comfortably within the bludger group at present and until he gets out of it I don't think he is captaincy material.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought a captain should be the one moving the ball with clarity and intent when no one else can, hitting targets when no one else can. Showing the way through congestion and extending confidence to those around them. The defensive things come second (from a captain's perspective) because it's much harder to lead by example in that respect. I know that as a supporter at least I notice the greatly beneficial things that Higgo does with the ball more than I ever notice him not running hard enough.

GVGjr
03-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Back on topic- GVGjr mentioned that Cooney seems disinterested at club functions, maybe if he was given the leadership he would straighten up and fly right. I remember before he was drafted after West Adelaide had one the Under 19's premiership (iirc) and Cooney was interviewed after the game. He summed it up beautifully, and paid tribute to teammates who were killed in a car-crash during the year. I just thought that on-field interview showed that he had leadership potential. Would be a worry whether he can captain a side and keep his own game on par, but he is surely a talent. Would also go a good way to keeping him at the club.

I was at a function last week where Cooney was called up (along with 2 others) and asked a series of questions. As he was about to sit down he was tapping away on his phone and seemed surprised when eventually he was welcomed and a question was directed to him. Slightly later he even didn't hear a question or two directed to him as he was otherwise distracted. It got a lot of laughs and he grinned away like it was all part of the show but it underlined to me that he isn't interested at the moment in being a genuine leader of the club.

I see no good reason to reward that level of commitment with the captaincy and it's a shame because he does have a sharp mind and as a footballer he's a step above even the better players at the club.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Isn't it on public record, Cooney stating himself that he doesn't want to be captain?

For me, no one really stands out at the moment. Gia has been under Johno for sometime & seems to get a lot of duties when BJ isn't there, but could he go on and carry the club forward by himself as captain?

Boyd is another who has risen from the average midfielder to stand out A grader & very much a general in the middle of the park, seems to be well respected around the club also.

There isn't really anyone else who stands out to me, Morris maybe, but i still don't see captain in him.

There are plenty of players who have been at the club a while, Murphy, Gilbee & Hargrave just to name a few. I don't know what these guys leadership qualities are away from camera, could possibly get a mention.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought a captain should be the one moving the ball with clarity and intent when no one else can, hitting targets when no one else can. Showing the way through congestion and extending confidence to those around them. The defensive things come second (from a captain's perspective) because it's much harder to lead by example in that respect. I know that as a supporter at least I notice the greatly beneficial things that Higgo does with the ball more than I ever notice him not running hard enough.

Tell that to Brett Kirk, Tom Harley & Cameron Ling.

AndrewP6
03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Isn't it on public record, Cooney stating himself that he doesn't want to be captain?

Yep, he says he's too left field...

lemmon
03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
These were my thoughts from the Grant thread

Boyd is the standout and probably should be the front runner for our next captain. He has managed to turn himself into an A grade midfielder so not only is he respected but he is beginning to grow his profile, he has a tremendous work ethic, let's his actions speak for themselves and is one of the guys who is 100% committed to making this a standout club. You can see in the way he is around the boys that he expects 100% from the group and will accept nothing else. I don't think Crossy has enough confidence in himself to really stand up in front of the group and take charge while Morris is probably too much of an insular character to be captain.

comrade
03-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Boydy comes across as a bloke who would chew glass if it meant he could improve himself as a footballer and expects the same from those around him. He's probably not the most popular bloke down at the club because he's there purely to be an elite footballer, rather than just live the life of one.

He's my pick. Let others do the media stuff.

Scorlibo
03-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Tell that to Brett Kirk, Tom Harley & Cameron Ling.

You think they are good captains? I would have chosen Goodes and Chapman.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 08:57 PM
You think they are good captains? I would have chosen Goodes and Chapman.

Yes I do.

They may not be the best players in their teams, but they set the best example by their work ethic, discipline & team before individual ethos.

Rocco Jones
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes I do.

They may not be the best players in their teams, but they set the best example by their work ethic, discipline & team before individual ethos.

This.

I think talent can be overrated when selecting a captain. Sure, it helps but as long as their spot in the side is safe in the long term, I don't think it should be such a massive indicator.

MrMahatma
03-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Give it to Harbrow so he doesn't head north!

Rocco Jones
03-05-2010, 09:18 PM

I actually see Harbrow as a possible future captain, unfortunately it looks like it will have to be in yellow, red and white.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 09:19 PM
So it's ok for the capatain to not chase or pick up an opponent when we need him to.... Talk about setting the right example.

Yes Mantis spot on doesnt work hard enough .. we all think Higgins is a gun but the problem is Higgins thinks he is without doing the hard things. Why not Bobbie?

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 09:20 PM

My mail is he is already gone

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
My mail is he is already gone

Hate to say it but my mail is that he has gone as well, Enjoy watching him this year peoples

boydogs
03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
He's probably not the most popular bloke down at the club because he's there purely to be an elite footballer, rather than just live the life of one.

Interesting comment. Did you have anyone else in mind with regards to players just looking to live the life of a professional fotballer? Do any of our other captain prospects e.g. Gia, Murphy, Cooney, Griffen, Higgins fall into this category?

Doc26
03-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Yes I do.

This.

I think talent can be overrated when selecting a captain. Sure, it helps but as long as their spot in the side is safe in the long term, I don't think it should be such a massive indicator.

Collingwood's choice to go with Nick Maxwell would appear a more recent testament to this.

w3design
04-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Collingwood's choice to go with Nick Maxwell would appear a more recent testament to this.

Or James McDonald.

Scorlibo
04-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Yes I do.

So do so many others.

Who says that Higgo doesn't do the above things? As far as I can tell he is one of the hardest training, disciplined and committed players at the club.

Who says that Goodes isn't similarly inclined, and Chapman?

MrMahatma
04-05-2010, 04:59 AM
There's no perfect captain. Everyone is focussing on what guys don't do. There's lots our current captain doesn't do, and things he does that don't scream 'leader'.

I think Higgins is the man.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 06:08 AM
I would have Boyd at the moment, hard working, disciplined, A-grade player...he is the only one of the current group that really screams captain IMO.

Down the line i see Cal Ward being the one though...for a 20yo he oozes leadership, tough, courageous, skillful, reminds me of a young Lenny Hayes

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 01:37 PM
There seems to be a lot of focus on Boyd not being comfortable talking to the media but I have to disagree. He's not a jovial media darling, but I've never heard him put a foot wrong when he speaks. He's direct and says it with that steely look in his eyes that quite frankly scares me a bit.

Plus he can be humourous at times, anybody who saw his half time interview with Tim Watson V Adelaide would know that. Watson asked him for a tip at the end of the chat and Boyd gave him a bit of a "you moron" look and said, "we win".

Boyd for mine. If not, Murphy. Higgins in a few years.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I would have Boyd at the moment, hard working, disciplined, A-grade player...he is the only one of the current group that really screams captain IMO.

Down the line i see Cal Ward being the one though...for a 20yo he oozes leadership, tough, courageous, skillful, reminds me of a young Lenny Hayes

There seems to be a lot of focus on Boyd not being comfortable talking to the media but I have to disagree. He's not a jovial media darling, but I've never heard him put a foot wrong when he speaks. He's direct and says it with that steely look in his eyes that quite frankly scares me a bit.

Plus he can be humourous at times, anybody who saw his half time interview with Tim Watson V Adelaide would know that. Watson asked him for a tip at the end of the chat and Boyd gave him a bit of a "you moron" look and said, "we win".

Agree with the choice of Matthew Boyd an absolute stand out as captain with Dale Morris as his deputy. They both are tough, resilient and intelligent quality people. You couldn't wish for a better combination.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Can i ask why? Based on this years form and the way he's drifted in and out of games i'd say he'd be mid pack.

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Can i ask why? Based on this years form and the way he's drifted in and out of games i'd say he'd be mid pack.

I'm just a big fan. Always have been. I think he'd be a really positive guy around the club and his willingness to present, present, present coupled with his ability to do the special things make him a standout for us.

I'd agree that his impact this year hasn't been as we'd all have liked, but not through lack of effort.

But Boyd is the standout, no doubt.

Sedat
05-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Matthew Boyd for me is the clear standout. Perhaps the media scribes might stop calling him Brad once he's captain :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 08:46 PM

Exactly. Was wondering where our leadership was in the last 10 minutes of the St Kilda game???

I reckon Chris Grant would have been handy as he always seemed to rally and effectively make coaching decisions at critical times like that.

He would often drift into the backline on his own account when the going got tough during games.

Mantis
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Exactly. Was wondering where our leadership was in the last 10 minutes of the St Kilda game???

I reckon Chris Grant would have been handy as he always seemed to rally and effectively make coaching decisions at critical times like that.

He would often drift into the backline on his own account when the going got tough during games.

Brad Johnson spent the last 10 minutes of the St.Kilda game in defence.

1eyedog
05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Someone you can respect and someone you can follow = Matthew Boyd

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I've said this on a different thread (they are all melting into one)...

While not our immediate next captain, we could do a lot worse than have Callan Ward groomed for the position two captains down the line ie. Boydy for a few years, then Ward.

Of course he has to get his body right first and cement his place in the side, and he has a bit to learn still, but even in his limited appearances so far, he has shown a willingness to put his head down and show leadership beyond his years to try and drag the whole team across the line, the Geelong game last year (where he torched Selwood in the 4th quarter) being the prime example. He also displays maturity beyond his years in many ways, and, youthful excesses notwithstanding, looks an outstanding role model and communicator.

Certainly one of my more preferred options. Mature beyond his years, IMO.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 10:43 AM
After last night, i think this really needs to be re evaluated.

I am starting to move away from Boyd being given the captains armband, and i never want to see Gia take over once Johno is gone. I really think this is going to be a massive call, it will probably shape the way our team goes forward mentally, once the new person takes the job.

It needs to be spot on.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Lake or Morris for me. I just don't think Gia or Higgins are captain material.

Captains need to lead buy example and direct their troops, not stand in front of the Mirror and tell yourself how pretty you are all day.

Pickenitup
05-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I think it should be between Ryan Griffen Or Dale Morris.
Griff is the only one in the last few years to put his hand up in Big Finals im not sure he has
the personality to be captain that is the area i think Dale would excel in

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I am more concerned about the make up of the leadership group than the actual captain but I definitely agree with the anti Gia and Boyd sentiment of most posters here.

I have already mentioned by thoughts on us having no all round leaders and my preference to go with pure doers rather than pure sayers.

I would like to see a leadership group featuring players like Morris, Cooney, Griffen and Picken.

I know Cooney has said he is too 'left field' to be captain but I wonder how much that has to do with how regimented/conservative our leadership group is.

1eyedog
05-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Put it to the members!

I've changed my tune after this season. My vote is for Griffen.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Put it to the members!

My vote is for Griffen.

Please don't :)

I like the idea of Griffen as a leader but I am not sure whether he really wants all that outside attention that a captain gets. He gets enough attention from the opposition, how about we just give him the utmost freedom to become an elite player first?

SlimPickens
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Dale Morris for me, leads by example, rarely beaten and most importantly always team orientated

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Dale Morris for me, leads by example, rarely beaten and most importantly always team orientated

Right at this point in time someone like Morris would be the front runner.
I think you have to look at what the player has on his plate as well as his leadership and example setting qualities.

I think it would be hard for a midfielder to run a side, and also worry about the play, his own position and managing his energy in today's game.

A defender can oversee most of the game (technically it's all in front of him) and still cover his man while setting up the next phases.

Forwards, well there isn't a lot to choose from, Gia will be in the same position as Johnson is soon, (slowing, form etc) so it depends on whether they want a short term or long term option???

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Yep, i agree.

I have come to the conclusion, that Morris is the man for the job.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I think we need to look at someone younger other than Morris, Boyd, Gia etc. Cooney is the man. has shown maturity on and off the filed and leads by example.

Flamethrower
05-09-2010, 02:48 PM
For me the leadership group next year should be Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney and Dale Morris, with one of these 3 the captain. Without being in the inner sanctum of the club it is hard to know which would be the best to captain the club, but it is plain to see that Giansiracusa, Boyd and Higgins certainly are not worthy at the moment to lead the club.

bornadog
05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
For me the leadership group next year should be Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney and Dale Morris, with one of these 3 the captain. Without being in the inner sanctum of the club it is hard to know which would be the best to captain the club, but it is plain to see that Giansiracusa, Boyd and Higgins certainly are not worthy at the moment to lead the club.

NOt sure why people have gone off Higgins as a potential captain? Is it his on field performance (which is clearly hampered by him being under done). I still think he is captain material, but wouldn't give it to him yet. Vice to Cooney.

Scorlibo
05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Cross. Easy, puts his head over the ball, consistently makes the right decisions and has a voice amongst the players.

G-Mo77
05-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Dale Morris or Daniel Cross for me.

LostDoggy
05-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Johno will probably gone on next year, which will end all this discussion for 12 months :)

1eyedog
05-09-2010, 03:11 PM
NOt sure why people have gone off Higgins as a potential captain? Is it his on field performance (which is clearly hampered by him being under done). I still think he is captain material, but wouldn't give it to him yet. Vice to Cooney.

Being underdone or not should not hamper his ability to put his head over the ball or get his hands dirty, he has been able to get to enough contests this season to show that he can do this.

There's no fitness, granted, but there should still be some desire in one on one contests. He's playing so he should be able to compete. Does thyroiditis debilitate mental strength because right now Higgins doesn't appear to have any. All other captains in the AFL, whether they be their teams best player like Judd or a symbolic captain like Ling have mental toughness. I can't see this returning for Higgins even when fully fit, he may get some confidence back, but not mental toughness, they are not the same thing and they do not go hand in hand IMO.

SonofScray
05-09-2010, 03:21 PM

I don't see it, can you run through why please?

I'd argue he isn't enough of a "doer" to go along with Rocco's train of thought. Higgins has not done much to really deserve the plaudits other than been a very good finisher when fit. Wouldn't mind seeing his stats on stuff like tackling, forward pressure, some of that "without the footy" stuff before I said yes, or completely wrote him off though.

SquirrelGrip
06-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Dale Morris ticks every box.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Liam Picken or (once he cements his spot) Callan Ward.

Left field, but two tough buggers who will put their heads over the ball every single time. Young? Yes, but it will be a signal to the rest of the list and the competition. Pick either of them and watch them grow. If only they were both just that little bit taller (apparently pretty important for first impressions with regards to the perception of a "leader")

Mantis
06-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Liam Picken or (once he cements his spot) Callan Ward.

The next time Liam opens his mouth up at the club it will be the first time. Sure he leads by example with the way he plays, but there is much more to the role than just the footy side of things.

I would be happy with any of Cooney, Morris or Griffen as our next captain. I could take Gia or Murf. I would be extremely upset if anyone else got the nod unless current on-field roles were changed.

Desipura
06-09-2010, 01:04 PM
The next time Liam opens his mouth up at the club it will be the first time. Sure he leads by example with the way he plays, but there is much more to the role than just the footy side of things.

I would be happy with any of Cooney, Morris or Griffen as our next captain. I could take Gia or Murf. I would be extremely upset if anyone else got the nod unless current on-field roles were changed.

This would be a Richie Vandenberg/Stuart Maxfield type appointment.

Ozza
06-09-2010, 01:04 PM

To be brutally honest - right at this moment - Higgins is that far off Captain material that it is outrageous to even suggest it.

I couldn't care less if he is underdone, sick, injured or whatever. Plenty of players have played finals injured or underdone before - but when there is no hardness, effort or intensity about your game whatsoever, then there is more of a problem that your body not being right.

As for the question of who should be next captain....well thats a scary thought. Ben Hudson is no doubt the leader. He is vocal, hard, consistent and a relentless competitor. But his age means he won't get it.

Ozza
06-09-2010, 01:11 PM

Agreed.

Liam is a terrific team man and a tremendously hard, consistent performer. Absolutely love the way he goes about it.

But he is naturally a quiet guy (unlike his old man!) and probably not quite suited to captaining an AFL club with everything that is involved.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I say Murph. 1. He is a great speaker and leader. 2. Stands up when it is needed. Last game a prime example. 3. He is really well liked around the club.

mighty_west
06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Dale Morris!

Bulldog Revolution
06-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Reading between the lines - I do think Cross and Boyd should both be considered in that mix

But that the midfield group needs a new line coach next season

To me that is a separate issue

I think Cooney may well be the captain when the dust settles

Dry Rot
06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I think it should be between Ryan Griffen Or Dale Morris.
Griff is the only one in the last few years to put his hand up in Big Finals im not sure he has
the personality to be captain that is the area i think Dale would excel in

+1. The club should look back over a number of big games and see who consistently rises to the challenge, and who doesn't.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Reading between the lines - I do think Cross and Boyd should both be considered in that mix

But that the midfield group needs a new line coach next season

To me that is a separate issue

I think Cooney may well be the captain when the dust settles

I would like to see Adam Cooney captain. Let's go with the best attacking player at our Club instead of the dour defensive player. It happened years ago when they appointed Teddy ahead of more popular choices and he grew into being a great captain. Coon has been in the leadership group now so he would have some idea to start with. Let's go for the best player for a change.

Desipura
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Give it to Morris and get it over and done with. If you can convince Aker you are ok and the remainder of the playing group also has respect for you, then you win my vote.
It means he has pretty good communication skills I would think.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I would reckon we should ask Aker who shouldn't be the captain and name that person the skipper...Aker is NEVER right!!

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 04:38 PM
The other point is, the captiain should not have their places in the team questioned. After the last few weeks, that rules out a lot of players we would've considered candidates at the start of the year.

Mantis
06-09-2010, 04:40 PM
The other point is, the captiain should not have their places in the team questioned. After the last few weeks, that rules out a lot of players we would've considered candidates at the start of the year.

Just because we as supporters are questioning some of our players place in the team doesn't mean the MC are doing the same.

immortalmike
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
It has to be Cooney, he is the only one in the leadership group who deserves it.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Just because we as supporters are questioning some of our players place in the team doesn't mean the MC are doing the same.

agreed. I wasn't referring to us questioning their places (as smart as we all are).
Some of us tend to crucify at the drop of a hat :)

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Dougie thinks Morris should be given the job, i agree.

Western Bulldogs great Doug Hawkins has ranked retiring captain Brad Johnson among the top five players in the club’s history – and says unassuming defender Dale Morris would be the ideal replacement as skipper.

Link (http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/2438-hawkins-johnson-a-truly-top-dog)

SonofScray
06-09-2010, 06:12 PM
The real on field leaders are Cross, Picken, Barry, Morris and Lake in terms of selfless efforts and skills under pressure. The more highly rated names for captain that pop up might be good speakers, or talk more out they simply do not walk the walk when it counts.

We need a skipper who will demand the best efforts, and provide them himself consistently. Ferocious attack on the ball, compare with the ball in hand and a dogged approach to playing his part.

ratsmac
06-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Offer it to harbrow to keep him at thee club... Just Kidding. I really like the idea of Griffen to take over from Johnno. His personality is the only question mark. Will it make him or break him? Who knows. A young captain could be what our club needs to knock the chip off some off the older players shoulders who feel their place in the team is a givin. Cooney or Morris would be my second pick. Both could slip into the position no worries. Cooney however would probably feel burdened by the job knowing him. Morris doesn't wilt under any sort of pressure so it would suit him just fine.

1. Griffen
2. Cooney
3. Morris

Go with the younger ones and build a good foundation for the future!

cinder
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Tough call. Murphy has great presence and leadership qualities but not sure if he has the on field consistency. In fact, does anyone??? I guess Boyd would have to be our most consistent good player. How about LAKE? Maybe he doesn't quite have the personality for it ...

Jasper
06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Offer it to harbrow to keep him at thee club... Just Kidding. I really like the idea of Griffen to take over from Johnno. His personality is the only question mark. Will it make him or break him? Who knows. A young captain could be what our club needs to knock the chip off some off the older players shoulders who feel their place in the team is a givin. Cooney or Morris would be my second pick. Both could slip into the position no worries. Cooney however would probably feel burdened by the job knowing him. Morris doesn't wilt under any sort of pressure so it would suit him just fine.

1. Griffen
2. Cooney
3. Morris

Go with the younger ones and build a good foundation for the future!

Great Minds. I was talking about our next capt today with w few mates and said Griffen should be as he is the only player that stand up consistently in finals. To my surprise I have just logged on for the first time for a few days and read alot of people on here share this view.

AndrewP6
06-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I think I said Boyd previously, but now I think I'm learning towards Morris or Griff. Dale is Mr Dependable, rarely gets towelled up, and we're certainly better with him onfield. Not sure about his public persona, haven't heard him much, to be honest. Griff I'm not sure would be interested, but the way he's been able to lift himself lately has shown me he could certainly do that for the side...Not completely cold on Boyd, just needs to be a bit better with the pill/damage with his possessions.

Sedat
06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Doesn't matter if it's Boyd or Morris, the print media will caption a picture of Dale Morris with Boyd's name (Brad, not Matthew) and vica versa :rolleyes:

NoParkingOnMatchDays
06-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Interested in some fedback but out of interest was Tom Harley a great leader or more of a polished performer who was surrounded by great on field leaders.

Our problem in that we have the polished leaders off the field who set the example but fail to deliver on it. It hasn't worked.

That's why I would like them to go the other way and hope that they would be looking at our best player instead of the way they have it structured now. For mine that would be Cooney or Lake - Most other clubs do - Judd/Goodes/Brown/St Nick as Bruce calls him are some eg.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I think I said Boyd previously, but now I think I'm learning towards Morris or Griff. Dale is Mr Dependable, rarely gets towelled up, and we're certainly better with him onfield. Not sure about his public persona, haven't heard him much, to be honest. Griff I'm not sure would be interested, but the way he's been able to lift himself lately has shown me he could certainly do that for the side...Not completely cold on Boyd, just needs to be a bit better with the pill/damage with his possessions.

Boydy has been my choice for a while too, he had an awesome 2008 and developed a new side to his came, this year hasnt been as flash but still pretty good. I would maybe choose Griff over Morris for the longer term stability. A lot of people are choosing Cooney now which could work out ok too. All of the above guys have the respect of the football community. Murph and Higgins arent durable/reliable enough in my opinion.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Doesn't matter if it's Boyd or Morris, the print media will caption a picture of Dale Morris with Boyd's name (Brad, not Matthew) and vica versa :rolleyes:

Haha too right, sod it, lets make it hard for them and make them co-captains... Dale Brad Matthew Boyd Morris. Maybe then trade in Griffin for Minson and find a Hargreave in the draft :O

Sockeye Salmon
06-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Is this still about the captaincy or is it just everyone's favorite players (for this week)?

Griffen told Gold Coast that he wasn't interested in heading north because he doesn't like being the centre of attention. He hates doing media commitments and in his perfect world he'd be able to remain anoymous in the street.

Doesn't sound like captain material to me.

1eyedog
06-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Is this still about the captaincy or is it just everyone's favorite players (for this week)?

Griffen told Gold Coast that he wasn't interested in heading north because he doesn't like being the centre of attention. He hates doing media commitments and in his perfect world he'd be able to remain anoymous in the street.

Maybe so, but there is a small article by Edmund in today's Herald where Griffen is interviewed. He was also interviewed for an article in the Age on Sunday. Maybe the media is very insistent in these instances, but really, it doesn't sound like someone who shuns the media to me. No he's not my favourite player, I don't have one.

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Id go for Dale Morris absolutely

boydogs
07-09-2010, 01:57 AM

Sounds a bit like Dean Laidley wanting to get away from the marketing component of being the head coach at a struggling North. Let's give Gia the captaincy to take the stage and be the face of the club, but make Griff vice to show that on field leadership i.e. standing up under pressure is a focus. He has been our best finals player for years and won us the Melbourne game earlier on this year as well

LostDoggy
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Not Boyd.

He has had a charisma bypass

Murphy for mine, he would thrive on the responsibility

It would bring the best out of him unlike others who would find it a millstone around their neck.

Mofra
07-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Murphy is a bit of a different egg, but I'm leaning more towards him over Boyd simply because he has been the most vocal at huddles when we have been down as a team, trying to gee the boys up.
We may need someone to fill in for a year or two after Murphy until Wallis is ready to take over :)

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Well it's all over for Johno, which means someone has to step up now.

Even after tonight i would still go for Morris, the guy is an absolute champion & terrific leader. Coming back from a very bad injury & holding up well, while in the process coping a broken hand.

I would be very happy to see Dale take the job.

Mantis
19-09-2010, 01:32 AM
From the current leadership group:

I would be happy with Morris or Cooney.

I could handle Murf getting the job.

I would be completely pissed off with the appointment of anyone else.

soupman
19-09-2010, 01:36 AM

I would be happy with any of the first three, and could live with Boyd (is Cross in there).

comrade
19-09-2010, 01:42 AM

Yes, I agree.

I'm fully behind Dale.

If Gia gets it, we'll be a laughing stock.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Morris or Cooney for me as well.

Doing > Saying.

AndrewP6
19-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Morris for mine...cemented in my mind after his efforts tonight...

Ghost Dog
19-09-2010, 06:54 AM

Well Said Mantis

chef
19-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Agree, but I would also be happy with Griffen as Captain or a VC.

FrediKanoute
19-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Would by-pass most of the class of 99. Murphy/Morris would have a chance, but would be inclined to look to the next generation and go for Cooney, Griffin or as an outside chance a Picken or a Ward.

Hotdog60
19-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Would Co-Captains be worth a look or are we too traditional to go there.

The Pie Man
19-09-2010, 09:33 AM

100% agree

KT31
19-09-2010, 10:39 AM

I would add Griff.

Mantis
19-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I would add Griff.

I don't think Griff (or Ward) are in the current leadership group.

I would be adding them next year.

Desipura
19-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Have you gone off Gia?

Mantis
19-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Have you gone off Gia?

As a captain, yes, his efforts this finals series have been below par and not those of a future captain.

He still has a role to play within the team, but we need our leadership group to be overhauled and injected with new members.

Desipura
19-09-2010, 11:02 AM
As a captain, yes, his efforts this finals series have been below par and not those of a future captain.

He still has a role to play within the team, but we need our leadership group to be overhauled and injected with new members.
Totally agree, but why do the MC continually put his name up? Do they not see what the majority of us see? It makes me angry.

azabob
19-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Either

Morris, Cooney, Murphy or Griffen.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Having just finished reading Tom Harley's book on leadership, if Dale Morris isn't the best man for the job I'll go he. Ticks every box. But I didn't need to read a book to think that anyway.

DOG GOD
19-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Morris for me. He is like a soldier in the backline that makes all around him stand taller. Will sacrifice his own game for the team and will put is body on the line.

He is everything a captain should be.

bornadog
19-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I have been told by a source close to Boyd that he will be Captain.

DOG GOD
19-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Someone who doesnt follow team rules and allows his opponent to run amok....great :(

No surprise really though.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Please be wrong.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Morris for me. He is like a soldier in the backline that makes all around him stand taller. Will sacrifice his own game for the team and will put is body on the line.

He is everything a captain should be.

Could not agree more. Good Post.

comrade
19-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Not suprised. :mad:

If I was Ward, I'd think 'why should I pick up my man, if the skipper isn't'.

GVGjr
19-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Totally agree, but why do the MC continually put his name up? Do they not see what the majority of us see? It makes me angry.
It's perplexing why they rate him so highly but then again I don't think they are making the best decisions with team selections either.

Greystache
19-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Great! So a guy who should be an honest worker who tries to play like a rockstar is going to be made captain? Why not make Gilbee vice captain and retain Eagleton and add him to the leadership group, just to complete the set! :mad:

Doc26
19-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Agree that we need to reinvigorate the leadership group and a good time to do this with Brad's retirement. We need those involved that set the example when it matters, in big moments and in big games; those that may not be blessed with the silky skills but with an accountability first attitude.

Would like to see two of the younger brigade in Picken and even Cal elevated in some leadership capacity and Dale anointed Captain.

Happy for Boyd to stay in the Leadership Group. Although he has fallen off in his defensive approach and to me often falls victim to perceived pressure resulting in poor efficiency his determination and ability to consistently gain contested possession against most opponents is still up there. I also mark him hard but with some tweaking to his game from a midfield coach and MC tuned into a defensive first approach we can get a lot more out of Matthew than what we got this season.

Like Dale and Liam, Matthew also did it the long way and possibly to his and our detriment was put on an elite pedestal far too quickly by all. He is still a key element to a functioning midfield in 2011 and would love to see us Woofers get behind him in a positive way rather than starting to bag him out which I've been guilty of.

Ghost Dog
19-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Agree that we need to reinvigorate the leadership group and a good time to do this with Brad's retirement. We need those involved that set the example when it matters, in big moments and in big games; those that may not be blessed with the silky skills but with an accountability first attitude.

Would like to see two of the younger brigade in Picken and even Cal elevated in some leadership capacity and Dale anointed Captain.

Happy for Boyd to stay in the Leadership Group. Although he has fallen off in his defensive approach and to me often falls victim to perceived pressure resulting in poor efficiency his determination and ability to consistently gain contested possession against most opponents is still up there. I also mark him hard but with some tweaking to his game from a midfield coach and MC tuned into a defensive first approach we can get a lot more out of Matthew than what we got this season.

Like Dale and Liam, Matthew also did hit the long way and possibly to his and our detriment was put on an elite pedestal far too quickly by all. He is still a key element to a functioning midfield in 2011 and would love to see us Woofers get behind him in a positive way rather than starting to bag him out which I've been guilty of.

Agreed Doc. Liam Picken is real leadership material. Has that hardness.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 04:02 PM
It's perplexing why they rate him so highly but then again I don't think they are making the best decisions with team selections either.

This for me is a knock on Eade and probably why we may not go further than a Prelim.

Dancin' Douggy
19-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Mitch Wallis. Take him and name him captain before he's even played a game.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2010, 04:21 PM
The only reason I can think of why Gia is rated so highly as a leader is that Eade/MC rate leadership group meetings and the like way too highly. No wonder Cooney thinks he is too 'left field' to be captain. I'd be worried if he wasn't alternative to such a flawed system. Maybe Eade has been watching too much of The Apprentice, Gia seems perfect for that show (I guess bar the choking during the big challenges).

Boyd being the next captain really highlights what's wrong how we deal with him. Many here purely blame Boyd for his unaccountable nature but I lay most of the blame with Rocket and the MC. I hear murmurings about them not being pleased with his accountability but with the massive love for him it must be a slight annoyance at most. They see him as the benchmark for intensity and our future captain, clearly they don't think him being accountable is important. Why would Boyd change? They are not only accepting how he plays, they see him as the benchmark. Wow!

Look I don't want to burn the MC at the stake. It's an enormous credit to them that our current benchmark for failure includes playing in a prelim and that cannot be forgotten but the way things are going, it's very hard to see us getting past that.

comrade
19-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Any way to add a poll with a few of the candidates?

Doc26
19-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Any way to add a poll with a few of the candidates?

Comrade, is there more than one ? Notice you're showing your hand.

comrade
19-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Comrade, is there more than one ? Notice you're showing your hand.

There seems to have been a shift in recent weeks (months?) towards Morris and I am firmly on the bandwagon.

He goes about his business in such a way that it's easy to gloss over his performances on the field, but I think the catalyst was coming back from the cracked vertebrae - talk about leading by example. The fact that he played on with a busted hand last night just gives his appointment more weight.

All reports suggest he is very vocal and analytical in defensive line meetings and is clearly the leader of the back 6.

He is widely respected throughout the competition as a relentless competitor who, despite giving away height, never gives an inch.

He's the right age, and the best candidate.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 06:46 PM
There seems to have been a shift in recent weeks (months?) towards Morris and I am firmly on the bandwagon.

He goes about his business in such a way that it's easy to gloss over his performances on the field, but I think the catalyst was coming back from the cracked vertebrae - talk about leading by example. The fact that he played on with a busted hand last night just gives his appointment more weight.

All reports suggest he is very vocal and analytical in defensive line meetings and is clearly the leader of the back 6.

He is widely respected throughout the competition as a relentless competitor who, despite giving away height, never gives an inch.

Spot on.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 07:22 PM

He is friends with Aker also so thats always a bonus:). Just joking. He is reliable and he is a safe bet but not sure he wants it. Get a list of blokes who want it and pick the best one. Personally two or three captains would be better. One for each area like forwards, backs, and mids.

comrade
19-09-2010, 07:23 PM
He is friends with Aker also so thats always a bonus:).

Just shows he has an ability to connect with all types of people ;)

boydogs
19-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Probably a bit of a tongue in cheek response, but very relevant. He isn't a clique type of person.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 12:01 AM
I've always hoped Boyd would be the next captain, but I'd love to see Dale "The Glove" Morris become our next captain. Odds are it'll be The Solarium tho'.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 11:03 AM
This had already been mentioned, it is one of the main reasons he should be made captain.
Also there is not much difference between his best and worst games.

1eyedog
20-09-2010, 02:12 PM
How about an off-field captain, like Kelvin Templeton? Just to fill the void until Ward is ready.

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Morris, Murphy, Boyd or Cooney are the only genuine contenders in my eyes

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Morris,Cooney,Griffen take your pick.

Captain Obvious
20-09-2010, 03:58 PM
I think it will be Gia or Boyd, but I'm worried about either of them taking the role. I think Gia plays a role in the team that means he's often out of the game. Boydy while a really good player would struggle with the media side of it I think.

I think right now I like Cooney to take it on but I have heard he does not want it. Murph would be another great candidate but his body lets him down a lot. Griff like Cooney would be great but again not sure it's his cup of tea. Dale Morris well...what a player. Could he handle the media stuff?

Higgins had the year from hell, had that not been the case I'm sure he would have been right up there.

So I think the club will choose Gia to mind it for a year or 2, might make him a better player who knows.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Boyd will get the job now, he is polling well tonight.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Boyd will get the job now, he is polling well tonight.

What's the view of the umpires got to do with who should be our Captain?

Greystache
20-09-2010, 11:56 PM

Hopefully nothing!

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 12:00 AM

Because he will probably win our B & F as well, which means they will see him as the perfect leader.

Just the way i think it will go.

Scorlibo
21-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Having seen Murph's willingness to perform in the finals, and knowing of his respect within the playing group, I think he should be the next captain. However I would not object to either of Cross or Morris and can see the advantages to naming Cooney, Griffen, Boyd or Gia. I was once a big fan of Higgins taking over from Johnson, but his slowed progress and pathetic intensity this year have made me second guess that call.

lemmon
21-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Morris, Lake or Cooney would be my preferences, in that order. I would also not object to Murph or Griff even if they are both long shots

EasternWest
21-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Having seen Murph's willingness to perform in the finals, and knowing of his respect within the playing group, I think he should be the next captain. However I would not object to either of Cross or Morris and can see the advantages to naming Cooney, Griffen, Boyd or Gia. I was once a big fan of Higgins taking over from Johnson, but his slowed progress and pathetic intensity this year have made me second guess that call.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, I think Griffen has said (Ithink) that he doesn't want the captaincy.

IMO he's becoming a good leader.

Mofra
21-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I was once a big fan of Higgins taking over from Johnson, but his slowed progress and pathetic intensity this year have made me second guess that call.
Thyroiditis will do that to a player. I'm not writing off Higgins as a future captain just because he was injured - I want to see how he bounces back in 2011.

Mantis
21-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Thyroiditis will do that to a player. I'm not writing off Higgins as a future captain just because he was injured - I want to see how he bounces back in 2011.

I wouldn't mind seeing Higgins removed from the leadership group for next year such that he can concentrate on getting his body right and play the best footy he can.

BulldogBelle
21-09-2010, 06:04 PM
VOTE 1- Dale Morris

In the games that Dale was injured this season our defence at times simply lacked leadership and looked extreamly unorganised.

Other pros

He performs whilst injured
His lack of natural ability and skill is compensated by a massive hunger for success and determination
He can relate to all types (eg Aker)
His rags (Werribee 2nds) to riches story is something that would inspire the entire list

aker39
21-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Johnno said on 3AW tonight that he thought it would be between Boyd & Gia.

No surprises there.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 09:54 PM

I agree with this post. I think Morris is the best candidate. Very consistent and well respected player. Also speaks well. Geez if Nick Maxwell can be a captain Dale could do it easily.

Desipura
22-09-2010, 10:24 AM

No surprises there.
If Gia is made captain...........I will be disappointed

Ozza
22-09-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree with most of you in that Morris, Cooney and Murphy are the 3 I'd be happy for it to come from.

If I absolutely had to pick 1 - I'd be happy with Bob Murphy, I think he brings the full package. But would be rapt with Morris and Coons.

immortalmike
22-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Honestly, I don't really think it matters all that much. A modern football side needs more than one leader anyway. FWIW I would like Cooney to get the nod but would be happy for it to be Murph, Dale, Gia, Boydy or Cross.

Greystache
22-09-2010, 01:55 PM

No surprises there.

I'd be disappointed with either and I think it would make a poor statement to the playing group.

Curly5
22-09-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd be disappointed with either and I think it would make a poor statement to the playing group.

I think the playing group has a big say in who is made captain, don't they?

Sedat
22-09-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103024/default.aspx

No real surprise there. You'd imagine the next captain will come from the current leadership group - no offence to Gia, I don't mind him as a player but I would not want to see him as our next captain. Murph, Coons or Morris from the leadership group for mine.

Ghost Dog
22-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Cooney. Please.

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Im on the Dale Morris for captain bandwagon BIG TIME!

He is what we need to lead us - tough / hungry / never out of the contest.....

comrade
22-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm seeing some Dale avatars...

The revolution begins!

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm seeing some Dale avatars...

The revolution begins!

Could be time for a thread....

azabob
22-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Could be time for a thread....

Or a poll with the options

hujsh
22-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Have a Sydney type leadership structure. Morris captain of defence, Boyd captain of the mids and Gia captain of the forwards (for example). I wouldn't say we've got one true leader (though Mossis would have a great case) so spread the load.

LostDoggy
22-09-2010, 10:39 PM
As a senior player, no man more typifies the Bulldog spirit than Daniel Cross. Would have to work on PR but he'd make a great leader on and off the field. Trains down the house, always got time for fans and an honest love of the club. :)

Mantis
23-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Have a Sydney type leadership structure. Morris captain of defence, Boyd captain of the mids and Gia captain of the forwards (for example). I wouldn't say we've got one true leader (though Mossis would have a great case) so spread the load.

While I think that system has merit I am not all that excited by who you have chosen in the roles.

hujsh
23-09-2010, 09:05 PM
While I think that system has merit I am not all that excited by who you have chosen in the roles.

Neither was I. I think they're the most likely three though

Dancin' Douggy
03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
How about Griffen as captain?
B&F under the belt.
Plays an inspiring and slashing brand of football.
Starting to gain consistency.
Turned down a big offer from the bombers to stay.

Just a thought.

LostDoggy
04-10-2010, 11:20 AM
How about Griffen as captain?
B&F under the belt.
Plays an inspiring and slashing brand of football.
Starting to gain consistency.
Turned down a big offer from the bombers to stay.

Just a thought.

Wouldn't mind this as an outsider. Only question would be if the boys see him as captain -- his performances, certainly, I just wonder about his vocalness to the group.

LostDoggy
04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
When will they be announcing it?

azabob
04-10-2010, 09:22 PM
When will they be announcing it?

Don't they normally wait till after pre season?

ledge
04-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah usually in January.

LostDoggy
05-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I was in Bali last week for my wedding and on the night before the big event, myself and a few friends were at Ku De Ta for a few warm up drinks - we ran into none other than Daniel Giansiracusa, who was there with his kid, wife and in-laws. My old man went and shook his hand, whilst myself and a mate asked him for a photo, which he was only too happy to do.

Gia was a great bloke, and was only too ready for a chat - i told him that i was at his first game in Adelaide when he kicked a goal with his first kick in the AFL, which he was pretty chuffed with. We asked him if he thought he might get the captaincy, and given that he wasnt going to come out and say - yes, im a certainty....he said that he thought that Cooney would get the gig, which i was surprised with.

Gia was a really good guy and is a superb ambassador of the club. I dont think he should be captain, but he is a great asset to the leadership group.

LostDoggy
05-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Congratulations, teddy54…

I think the Dogs have a fairly good history IMO of picking a good captain. They'll get it right.

My preferences:

1. Morris
2. Boyd
3. Cooney

KT31
12-11-2010, 01:29 AM
I was in Bali last week for my wedding and on the night before the big event, myself and a few friends were at Ku De Ta for a few warm up drinks - we ran into none other than Daniel Giansiracusa, who was there with his kid, wife and in-laws. My old man went and shook his hand, whilst myself and a mate asked him for a photo, which he was only too happy to do.

Gia was a great bloke, and was only too ready for a chat - i told him that i was at his first game in Adelaide when he kicked a goal with his first kick in the AFL, which he was pretty chuffed with. We asked him if he thought he might get the captaincy, and given that he wasnt going to come out and say - yes, im a certainty....he said that he thought that Cooney would get the gig, which i was surprised with.

Gia was a really good guy and is a superb ambassador of the club. I dont think he should be captain, but he is a great asset to the leadership group.

Congrats on the nuptials, Teddy54.
Photo of you and Gia would make a great avatar.
IMO Cooney would make a great captain, but I think with our leadership group it could be one of many right selections.

EasternWest
12-11-2010, 03:09 AM

I'm not sure I think Gia should be captain, but it's clear he's a great clubman. Cooney for captain? I'm not against that. My preference is for number 38, but Cooney is a gun.

immortalmike
12-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Did you only watch him in 2010?

LostDoggy
24-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Whilst at the Pound, got talking with Dale Morris on the issue of captaincy (BHBAS article in Age was a great icebreaker!), He thought there were probably half a dozen who could easily fulfil the role with aplomb. His two frontrunners were Boydy and Gia due primarily that they have both done so as acting captains. He also didn't see himself as any chance. Told him to look out for left field until the annoucement is officially made.

Maddog37
26-11-2010, 06:22 PM
I would love cooney to be captain. I believe it would make him as a player.

Ghost Dog
26-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Hawk weighs in. Says Coon dog needs a couple of years.
also says defenders are not as good as Fw players in the role.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2010/11/26/hawkins-wants-boyd-as-top-dog/

GVGjr
26-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm far from convinced that Cooney would be a good selection for reasons I mentioned a few times. Morris isn't in the running but should be so it comes down to Boyd. Giansiracusa could do the job well but his form and longevity in the game won't work for him.
Cross could do the job as well but would be a short term prospect.

LostDoggy
27-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Did Hawk give his reasons for why defenders aren't as good captains? I assume he thinks Tom Harley was a good captain, and Luke Hodge will be.

With the half-back role becoming more and more that of a creative initiator (I didn't want to use the 'quarterback' term), with the ability to see the whole field ahead of them and set up the play, a strong on-field leader from that role would not go astray. Besides, even for a purely 'destructive' defender (like Morris), presence is more important as a leader than necessarily inspirational acts. By Hawk's own analysis of so much congestion on-ball these days, on-ball players should concentrate on their own tasks rather than worrying about overall team structure or shape, so the half-back creator can also direct the team's structure in front of him. If he's talking about stoppage set-ups, you don't need a captain there, just a midfield leader, which I assume Boydy and Huddo already are. Also, off-field skills are as important these days as on-field, and the position you play has nothing to do with that.

I don't know what Hawk is talking about sometimes.

ps. As many have already said here, measuring Boydy's impact by possessions is meaningless, but the media will keep throwing up those numbers as long as they keep using stats as a lazy proxy in place of real understanding.

LostDoggy
27-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I,m hoping they make Brian Lake and Matty Boyd Co-Captains ! http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/cca31/Emoticons/tummenupp.gif

It would give the side good balance and sends a strong message of unity

Mantis
29-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I,m hoping they make Brian Lake and Matty Boyd Co-Captains ! http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/cca31/Emoticons/tummenupp.gif

It would give the side good balance and sends a strong message of unity

Very good player, but he isn't captain material.

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Isn't it awesome to have this problem? Rather than a clear stand-out, we have a whole group of guys that can fit the role. That can only be good.

Desipura
29-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Isn't it awesome to have this problem? Rather than a clear stand-out, we have a whole group of guys that can fit the role. That can only be good.
I would prefer a clear standout.

gohardorgohome
29-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I would prefer a clear standout.

Clubs with a clear standout are more often than not dud team with a megastar...
(EG Buckley Brown Judd)

Even successful clubs have elected the clear standout as captain during their lean times
(EG 21 Year old Carey ; Voss)

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 12:31 PM

I don't think it's an issue of a whole group of guys who fit, rather, not being able to pick from a bunch of guys who all don't quite fit: every candidate has a strong case AGAINST as much as for, which is not a good thing, and explains a lot about the inconsistent leadership on-field.. we're almost grasping at straws in nominating potential captains.

Desipura
29-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Clubs with a clear standout are more often than not dud team with a megastar...
(EG Buckley Brown Judd)

Even successful clubs have elected the clear standout as captain during their lean times
(EG 21 Year old Carey ; Voss)

I would rather a clear standout then no one really standing out at all

Ghost Dog
29-11-2010, 04:50 PM
By Hawk's own analysis of so much congestion on-ball these days, on-ball players should concentrate on their own tasks rather than worrying about overall team structure or shape.
I don't know what Hawk is talking about sometimes.

ps. As many have already said here, measuring Boydy's impact by possessions is meaningless, but the media will keep throwing up those numbers as long as they keep using stats as a lazy proxy in place of real understanding.

Very much agree on both points.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm far from convinced that Cooney would be a good selection for reasons I mentioned a few times. Morris isn't in the running but should be so it comes down to Boyd. Giansiracusa could do the job well but his form and longevity in the game won't work for him.

What are the things going against Dale? Interested to know.

Question: Does being in the leadership group include any pay bonus of any kind?

GVGjr
29-11-2010, 06:30 PM
What are the things going against Dale? Interested to know.

Question: Does being in the leadership group include any pay bonus of any kind?
The information I have is that Morris isn't in the mix to lead the club and it's down to three candidates. I don't understand why so I can't really speculate but perhaps he might not impose himself on the group as a leader should. To me though this is something that could easily be overcome.

chef
29-11-2010, 06:34 PM
The information I have is that Morris isn't in the mix to lead the club and it's down to three candidates. I don't understand why so I can't really speculate but perhaps he might not impose himself on the group as a leader should. To me though this is something that could easily be overcome.

Gia, Boyd and Murphy?

lemmon
29-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Gia, Boyd and Murphy?

Id have Cooney ahead of Murphy largely because of the toll Murphs body has suffered and his longevity left in the game

GVGjr
29-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Id have Cooney ahead of Murphy largely because of the toll Murphs body has suffered and his longevity left in the game

I know we will disagree on this but I can't have Cooney as a potential captain for next season. I have just witnessed some less than impressive performances at some functions to accept that the players could take him seriously as a leader.

Maddog37
29-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Please expand on this GVG jnr if possible?

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I would rather a clear standout then no one really standing out at all

My point was that it's better to have a few leaders good enough to be captain than only one.

Carlton springs to mind as a club with only one clear leader. As opposed to Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, who have multiple captains-in-waiting. Surprise, surprise, the previous three premiers.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2010, 09:01 PM
A captaincy role could bring out the best in a player. The 'ready made' captains ( Gia, Boyd, Murphy ) have queestion marks over how long they will be around.
Would be happy if they gave it to a 'potential' captain, slightly younger player with great potential.
Re Cooney, if we confiscated his phone during functions, would that help? ^_^

GVGjr
29-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Please expand on this GVG jnr if possible?

Lets just say I have been to a couple of club functions where I failed to see any leadership potential in Cooney. I'm sure it's there but I'd rather not see him given the position based on potential rather than an established history of showing his leadership skills.

He's a gun player but in this instance I don't believe it will mean he could be a good captain next season.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Fair enough GVG. I guess it will be Boyd or Gia then. They should pick the captain earlier to give him time to settle into the role IMO. All this waiting around irks me.

GVGjr
29-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Fair enough GVG. I guess it will be Boyd or Gia then. They should pick the captain earlier to give him time to settle into the role IMO. All this waiting around irks me.

Don't go on my view because it could be a contrast to how the club see's it.
To me the standout is Morris and then Boyd.

Mantis
30-11-2010, 09:10 AM
I know we will disagree on this but I can't have Cooney as a potential captain for next season. I have just witnessed some less than impressive performances at some functions to accept that the players could take him seriously as a leader.

But they do.

GVGjr
30-11-2010, 01:35 PM
But they do.

Sorry but I don't believe it in fact I have seen his team mates try and steer him in a more appropriate direction.

Of course things can change but I haven't seen him represent the club in the manner a natural leader or captain should.

Mantis
30-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Sorry but I don't believe it in fact I have seen his team mates try and steer him in a more appropriate direction.

Of course things can change but I haven't seen him represent the club in the manner a natural leader or captain should.

When was this may I ask?

The reason for asking was that as told to me if we were to change capatins this time last year Adam would have no chance, but through the 2010 seaosn he grew into his leadership role and the players responded to him... No doubt the issues you raised are valid, but perhaps next time you see him at a club function you might see someone worthy of representing our club as team capatain, or perhaps not.

LostDoggy
30-11-2010, 02:42 PM

This would be ideal, when you have someone like Callan Ward being groomed for the top role in the wings in the interim. Two seasons and Callan will be cherry ripe for captaincy. IMHYBO. ;)

LostDoggy
30-11-2010, 03:23 PM
A while back I was campaigning for Higgins to take on the captaincy as I thought he was developing nicely as a player and seemed to have a very strong presence about him.

The last couple of years have not be great for him with injuries and my captaincy sentiments have mellowed.

Boyd to be Captain, with both Gia and Higgins as Co-Vice Captains for mine.

Desipura
30-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Morris
Boyd
Murphy

One of those 3

Ghost Dog
30-11-2010, 04:34 PM
[/I][/B]
This would be ideal, when you have someone like Callan Ward being groomed for the top role in the wings in the interim. Two seasons and Callan will be cherry ripe for captaincy. IMHYBO. ;)

Alright Druid. We know you have a man-crush on Callan Ward. :D Nothing new there :)

Barry Hall for captain! 2011 or bust!

Desipura
30-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Alright Druid. We know you have a man-crush on Callan Ward. :D Nothing new there :)

Barry Hall for captain! 2011 or bust!
I think Hoops may have something to say about that! ;)

LostDoggy
30-11-2010, 05:57 PM
[/I][/B]

This used to be my train of thought as well, but word from those in the know is that he is no real chance (for pretty simple but good reasons that I'm not sure I can divulge). Maybe he should concentrate on just being a gun.

On the other hand, though, no one has a bad word to say about Mitch Wallis's captaincy prospects in the longer-term. ;)

ledge
30-11-2010, 06:11 PM
This used to be my train of thought as well, but word from those in the know is that he is no real chance (for pretty simple but good reasons that I'm not sure I can divulge). Maybe he should concentrate on just being a gun.

On the other hand, though, no one has a bad word to say about Mitch Wallis's captaincy prospects in the longer-term. ;)

A kid can change and mature a lot in 2 years I wouldnt write him off for the future.
Peer groups are the key.

GVGjr
30-11-2010, 06:36 PM
When was this may I ask?

The reason for asking was that as told to me if we were to change capatins this time last year Adam would have no chance, but through the 2010 seaosn he grew into his leadership role and the players responded to him... No doubt the issues you raised are valid, but perhaps next time you see him at a club function you might see someone worthy of representing our club as team capatain, or perhaps not.

I can't agree that there could be such a change within 4 or 5 months because the functions I am referring to were around April and May.

Until I see a difference, and I would need to, based on what I have seen I don't think he should be in the mix for 2011 when we have better candidates.

LostDoggy
30-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I think Hoops may have something to say about that! ;)

They'll have to learn to share! ;)

w3design
01-12-2010, 11:33 PM

Please explain??

BulldogBelle
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
What are the qualities that you would be looking for in a leader? Maybe you should look at all of the qualities that you look for in a leader, give them points then rate each player. The most important quality of a leader I believe is to be a good communicator, next, as far as footy is concerned is to be inspirational.

Here are some qualities of a good leader, might be some repeats and overlaps here. You can add some of your own qualities.

1. Communicator. Reaches the people around him effectively. Talks well to the press and in forums. Does not slur speech or talk in profanities.
2. Exemplary character. Trustworthy to lead others, responsible. Lives their life with honestly and integrity. Earns the right to have responsibility for others. Believes in human equalities. Reliable.
3. Enthusiastic about the team and their role as leader. Shows passion and dedication. A source of inspiration, a motivator. Part of the team. Gets dirty when necessary.
4. Inspirational. Brings best out of the team. Specially when crisis looms. Motivates. Encourages.
5. Logical. Thinks analytically. Is able to look at sub parts and manageable steps for resolution.
6. Confident as a person and as a leader. Inspires confidence, trust and best efforts of the team. Exudes self-confidence. People are proud to be associated.
7. Disciplined. Orderly and purposeful during uncertainty. Reassures portraying confidence and a positive demeanor. Keeps temper. Is Consistent. Is organised and properly manages.
8. Committed to excellence. Second best does not lead to success. Maintains high standards, and is proactive in raising standards in all areas.
9. Tolerant of ambiguity and remain calm, composed and steadfast. Storms, emotions, and crises come and go as part of the journey.
10. Focused towards team goals. Has a vision. Is sincere and dedicated.
11. Direction. Gives the team voice and direction. Strives towards excellence. Set an example.
12. Cool headed in times of crises and finds solutions to difficult situations.Patient. Cool, calm and collected. Does not panic or lose your temper. Considers crisis, emotions and tricky situations just as part of the job.
13. Longevity. Will last out at least the season. Not prone to injury. Not too aged.
14. Has a stake in the outcomes.

I think that Cooney fits the bill for me.

LostDoggy
03-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Okay James, we need Keanu reeves cross with Einstein cross with nelson mandella. Crikey, we already have it.... Will minson!

Hotdog60
03-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I'll put my 2 cents in, I would love Morris for the role. But I think Boyd will get the job, my reasoning on this is he has an attitude that I think the club will like. Who remembers a line that he said at the best and fairest last year I think, "I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to win a premiership!"

I remember a few people on this forum giving him the captaincy right there and then, so it maybe the gung ho , take no prisoners attitude that the club may like in the top role.

If this is the right attitude to guide young players and steer older one will need to be seen.

As I said Morris would be my favorite , but I think Boyd will be picked.

soupman
03-12-2010, 01:08 PM
"I not here to make friends, I hear to win a premiership!"

That sounds like something Tarzan would say.

Hotdog60
03-12-2010, 02:04 PM
That sounds like something Tarzan would say.

As you can see typing or proof reading is not my forte'. I'll edit it.

Max469
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
From what I have heard it will be "Boyd'. But until the announcement is made no one will know for sure.

I have heard it won't be "Gia" because the fans don't want him.

LostDoggy
03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
From what I have heard it will be "Boyd'. But until the announcement is made no one will know for sure.

I have heard it won't be "Gia" because the fans don't want him.

Not that I want Gia as captain, but to suggest that the Club would not appoint him because of pressure from the fans is somewhat fanciful.

I'll concede it would be easy for the club to make a popular appointment with the fans, however the fans opinion is definitely last on a very long list (if at all) of criteria.

LostDoggy
03-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Not that I want Gia as captain, but to suggest that the Club would not appoint him because of pressure from the fans is somewhat fanciful.

I'll concede it would be easy for the club to make a popular appointment with the fans, however the fans opinion is definitely last on a very long list (if at all) of criteria.

Agree

Max469
04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Don't have a go at me, only saying it as I was told.

Personally I hope it is Gia.

OLD SCRAGGer
04-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Don't have a go at me, only saying it as I was told.

Personally I hope it is Gia.

I Hope it's Gia as well. He's already captained us to 1 premiership :D

Max469
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM

Yes he has and did a good job of it.

LostDoggy
06-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I can't agree that there could be such a change within 4 or 5 months because the functions I am referring to were around April and May.

Until I see a difference, and I would need to, based on what I have seen I don't think he should be in the mix for 2011 when we have better candidates.

It can happen mate. All depends on where the drive comes from — has to be within.

GVGjr
06-12-2010, 01:33 PM
It can happen mate. All depends on where the drive comes from — has to be within.

But the reference is that the other players have been following for the majority of the season when they were in fact coaching him at some functions to refocus. Yes it can happen but I doubt that it has.

Curly5
06-12-2010, 02:43 PM

I would have thought Gia too, and seriously doubt the opinion of fans would have much or any bearing. The wishes of the players would be a strong factor.

But I can't help but look at the club's homepage, with Boyd on one side and Cross on the other, and then the 2011 membership card with Boyd in front and Cross next to him, and I think that there's a message here. Why print your membership card with the most prominent player who is not the captain?

FWIW, it looks to me like Boyd will be captain and Crossy vice captain. Standing at the back are 3 deputy v-c's - Gia, Coons and Murph.

Oh well, we will find out soon.

Murphy'sLore
06-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree with your reading, Curly5. I think it'll be Boyd.

LostDoggy
07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii283/brightblue462/clown.png

I don't think it'll be Gia, he seems to have gone with a Krusty-esque hairstyle.
Hard to take him seriously.

EasternWest
08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't think it'll be Gia, he seems to have gone with a Krusty-esque hairstyle.
Hard to take him seriously.

Ha ha ha.

The Coon Dog
08-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Interesting approach adopted by Adelaide:

ADELAIDE midfielder Nathan van Berlo will captain the Crows next year after winning a player vote.

The Crows announced this morning coaches and the board had ratified a vote by the players to install the 24-year-old as the replacement for the retired Simon Goodwin.

aker39
09-12-2010, 12:54 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/106074/default.aspx

lemmon
09-12-2010, 12:59 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/106074/default.aspx

On the back of the year hes had young Higgins will have to wait a while and prove that he is the footballer we all think

The Coon Dog
09-12-2010, 01:29 PM
On the back of the year hes had young Higgins will have to wait a while and prove that he is the footballer we all think

I see him as a future captain.

One from left field, Huddo?

LostDoggy
09-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Boyd gets the pill and in heavy traffic and a fair bit of it. But his disposal and decision making can be suspect....in fact, sometimes terrible. I would have thought he should be concentrating on improving his game, as I think, that if we had an alternative with more elite skills, would he still get a game? With our recruiting we seem to be chasing leg speed, defensive pressure and in some instances, elite disposal. Since we have Cross, can we afford Boyd as well? Leave him out and we lose a ball gatherer, include him and we get a player whose disposal causes direct turnovers, something which we need to eliminate if we are to go the next level.

So we might get a captain who excels in all areas except where it counts most for us to improve. Is that a wise thing to do?