PDA

View Full Version : Rope-a-dope

SquirrelGrip
03-05-2010, 01:18 PM
OK, so we were all gutted by Friday. We were sucked into St Kilda's game plan and style, thinking that we could replicate the Prelim Final and without Riewoldt, they'd have no-one to win the match for them.

It didn't work.

Next time, Riewoldt will be back. Can Morris remain on Milne and Williams step up on Riewoldt? What do we do differently to avoid another soccer scoreline and actually force the Saints to outplay us rather than uber-defence us?

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I think the game was lost in the coaching box. Lake should never have been moved forward after StKilda moved Koszitski( u know who I mean) onto the ball. :(

Sedat
03-05-2010, 01:24 PM
OK, so we were all gutted by Friday. We were sucked into St Kilda's game plan and style, thinking that we could replicate the Prelim Final and without Riewoldt, they'd have no-one to win the match for them.
They still had Hayes, who did as much if not more to get them over the line in the prelim as Riewoldt did. No surprise he missed the NAB Cup GF and we won comfortably.

bornadog
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM

It didn't work.

Next time, Riewoldt will be back. Can Morris remain on Milne and Williams step up on Riewoldt? What do we do differently to avoid another soccer scoreline and actually force the Saints to outplay us rather than uber-defence us?

Friday's game was very similar to the prelim. Saints used the same tactics and we have to come up with a plan to thwart their negative style.

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Friday's game was very similar to the prelim. Saints used the same tactics and we have to come up with a plan to thwart their negative style.

A lot of people have been saying this, and blaming the coaching staff, but I think we already DO have the right plan to beat them, it's just a matter of actually finishing the job off once the tactics work and get you into position to score. You can't blame bad goalkicking on tactics.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
A lot of people have been saying this, and blaming the coaching staff, but I think we already DO have the right plan to beat them, it's just a matter of actually finishing the job off once the tactics work and get you into position to score. You can't blame bad goalkicking on tactics.

Before the match I thought we'd have no trouble beating the Saints especially without Reiwoldt. God Port Power beat them. They were on a short break. Still amazed how we managed to lose rather than how St.kilda won!

SquirrelGrip
03-05-2010, 02:39 PM

If we have the right plan, it hasn't worked in the last 2 serious outings. At the very least it needs tweaking. The Saints tactic is to strangle us then hope to get a few quick goals when it counts. Players like Riewoldt, Milne, Schneider, Goddard are the keys to this. If we continue to play this plan, we need to ensure they can't a few freak goals and I don't think you can guarantee that.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
03-05-2010, 02:59 PM

I'm with lantern, I thought the tactics were spot on, what hurt us was execution - or taking the chances when we had them (just like the prelim).

EasternWest
03-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I think the game was lost in the coaching box. Lake should never have been moved forward after StKilda moved Koszitski( u know who I mean) onto the ball. :(

Forgiven. But don't ever say Hargraves, Grffin or Acker.

It seemed to me that with the exception of Harbrow, we didn't really have anyone to just say "f*ck it" and be risky, thus playing into their patient hands.

AndrewP6
03-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Agreed. The plan was OK, the execution was shite...

boydogs
03-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Agreed. The plan was OK, the execution was shite...

Is this a function of the strategy being too difficult to execute on though?

We are asking players to be patient, not to waste the ball and create a turnover. This seems to be creating doubt in our player's minds when looking at options going forward which they should just be taking, and normally would.

Instruct the players to back their judgment and take the game on, not to play in fear of making a mistake and we would have our result

The Adelaide Connection
03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I think had we kicked one of those last quarter goals they would have had to throw caution to the wind and, with our dominance all over the field at that point, it would have really blown out.

But we didn't.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Agree with others in saying that the plan was good it worked....we were on top of them all over the ground, had worked our way into a winning position..but again failed to put the nail in the coffin, happens time and again.

We should have been a bit more bold and attacking when we had them up against the ropes though!

Remi Moses
04-05-2010, 06:49 AM
The plan worked for most of the journey,those schoolboy errors I.e Kicking goals,fumbling and not picking up Fisher at that throw in bloody cost us!!

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Agree with others in saying that the plan was good it worked....we were on top of them all over the ground, had worked our way into a winning position..but again failed to put the nail in the coffin, happens time and again.

We should have been a bit more bold and attacking when we had them up against the ropes though!

Welcome to the forum D4E.

What you said.