PDA

View Full Version : Animal Farm

Sockeye Salmon
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Has anyone read Animal Farm by George Orwell?

It's about a group of farmyard animals who rebel against the farmer on the promise of finding Utopia but eventually it all just ends up being the same as before.

Mantis
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Can you be a little specific with who this is directed at?

Scorlibo
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Has anyone read Animal Farm by George Orwell?

It's about a group of farmyard animals who rebel against the farmer on the promise of finding Utopia but eventually it all just ends up being the same as before.

:p Yes, have read it... relevance?

Doc26
03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Could be Ablett, Harbrow etc etc and their northern adventure to a sunny land.

The "Beasts of GC17".

Rocco Jones
03-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I would love for this to be a pure Orwell book club discussion. I love Animal Farm but 1984 is the greatest.

Oh Boxer. :(

chef
03-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Thats what I was thinking too.

Dogs 24/7
03-05-2010, 10:37 PM

The "Beasts of GC17".
I think he has just repackaged his Why Sockeye Salmon is Smarter than Andrew Demetriou thread and he has had a better response this time.

Dry Rot
03-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I would love for this to be a pure Orwell book club discussion. I love Animal Farm but 1984 is the greatest.

Down and out in Paris and London is a great read, but not cheerful. Keep the Aspidistra Flying deserves more attention too, IMO.

Neither has much to do with the OP I fear.

Scorlibo
03-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Down and out in Paris and London is a great read, but not cheerful. Keep the Aspidistra Flying deserves more attention too, IMO.

Really insightful reads from a great author.

hujsh
03-05-2010, 11:17 PM

Poor Boxer.:(

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I've only read 1984. I've been planning to read Animal Farm sometime soon!

Greystache
03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Poor Boxer.:(

I shall work harder...

Rocco Jones
03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Boxer= Cross
Cat= Hill

Doc26
03-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Boxer= Cross
Cat= Hill :D

Squealer = Adrian Anderson

angelopetraglia
04-05-2010, 12:31 AM
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." ... such a fantastic line

Sockeye Salmon
04-05-2010, 12:39 AM
It was a reference to those of us who left BF to find a place where we didn't have to put up with having our club slagged off after every loss by massive over-reactions, only to find that ultimately our Utopia is no different to where we originally came from.

lemmon
04-05-2010, 12:43 AM
It was a reference to those of us who left BF to find a place where we didn't have to put up with having our club slagged off after every loss by massive over-reactions, only to find that ultimately our Utopia is no different to where we originally came from.

Aimed at specific posters?

boydogs
04-05-2010, 02:30 AM

I think you'll agree this place is still miles ahead. Far less swearing and fighting, more constructive criticism than ranting, quality over quantity posts and threads

Remi Moses
04-05-2010, 03:39 AM
Some of us probably got caught up in the massive let down of Friday Night!Way better than most fan sites on here.I like robust discussion,sure beats one giant Love inn

bornadog
04-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Emotion always takes over than rational thinking.

Doc26
04-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Never been on BF so can't comment.

I propose a 24 hour indemnity rule on dumb comments post a loss.

Mantis
04-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Isn't it up to the moderators to determine what is and isn't suitable for our reading pleasure?

I do agree that if the slagging off gets out of hand the individuals responsible need to be brought into line so the quality of this forum remains high. And yes that includes me (and you)

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Ahh, Animal Farm. We are getting a little cultural, aren't we just! The theme that I most readily identify with is; the fear of the future. Something that many of us dwell upon far too often. As can also be found in John Steinbeck's 'Cannery Row' a change in the power structure of a community literally sets the cat amongst the pidgeons in the loft of life.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm going to be smacked around, but George Orwell, while an insightful social commentator of sorts, is really no more than a middling writer with severe plotting, pacing and character development shortcomings. 1984 is fascinating, but quite unreadable in parts. I will say that his notoriety in tackling certain social issues of his day (and ours, for that matter) and being part of a certain literati circle (connected to the 'right people' esp. literary critics) lent him a greater profile than his limited talent has warranted.

For much more erudite (and entertaining!) treatments of similar subject matter, see We (1921) by Yevgeny Zamyatin (which Orwell pretty much ripped off -- ahem -- was influenced by), or greater but lesser known works such as A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter Miller, Ray Bradbury's stuff, or any variety of social science fiction (especially in short story form) written in the 60s/70s by the likes of Le Guin, Ellison, Aldiss etc., and of course the brilliant A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Me?

Me. :p

chef
04-05-2010, 12:18 PM

The chicken little post I can understand and handle(and enjoy debating and defending), it's when posters get personal we you don't agree with them that I don't like. This is the sort of thing I thought I left behind at BF(it only occasionally happens here thank god).

Charlie the Wonder Dog
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm going to be smacked around, but George Orwell, while an insightful social commentator of sorts, is really no more than a middling writer with severe plotting, pacing and character development shortcomings. 1984 is fascinating, but quite unreadable in parts. I will say that his notoriety in tackling certain social issues of his day (and ours, for that matter) and being part of a certain literati circle (connected to the 'right people' esp. literary critics) lent him a greater profile than his limited talent has warranted.

For much more erudite (and entertaining!) treatments of similar subject matter, see We (1921) by Yevgeny Zamyatin (which Orwell pretty much ripped off -- ahem -- was influenced by), or greater but lesser known works such as A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter Miller, Ray Bradbury's stuff, or any variety of social science fiction (especially in short story form) written in the 60s/70s by the likes of Le Guin, Ellison, Aldiss etc., and of course the brilliant A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

gee whiz after a post like that, making me feel dumb and all, its almost enough to make me flee back to BF :D

comrade
04-05-2010, 01:12 PM
gee whiz after a post like that, making me feel dumb and all, its almost enough to make me flee back to BF :D

Don't worry about Lantern. Most of his posts are just copy and paste jobs from Wikipedia :p

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Don't worry about Lantern. Most of his posts are just copy and paste jobs from Wikipedia :p

With the exception of those about Gia.

They are his.:)

Sockeye Salmon
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM

I gave up on 1984, just didn't get it. Never heard of the rest of your list (except 'A Clockwork Orange' and only because of the movie).

firstdogonthemoon
04-05-2010, 02:57 PM
I am sick and tired of our supporters accepting mediocrity in any discussion of the great writers of the 20th century.

Desipura
04-05-2010, 03:27 PM
thats not how I remember Animal Farm. :D

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I am sick and tired of our supporters accepting mediocrity in any discussion of the great writers of the 20th century.

I don't know about that - I thought Aldiss was pretty hard at it and Le Guin was nearly a gun.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 03:46 PM

Or, as the chorus of sheep in Animal Farm might say:

"WOOF good, BF baaaad."

bornadog
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I have no idea what this thread is all about.

I thought it was about SS:D

hujsh
04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I thought it was about SS:D

I thought it was about the threat of communism on the AFL.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Touche. :D

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
I gave up on 1984, just didn't get it. Never heard of the rest of your list (except 'A Clockwork Orange' and only because of the movie).

The movie is missing an ending, only because the US edition of the book only has 20 chapters instead of 21 (although Anthony Burgess deliberately structured the book in 3x7 chapter blocks) because the American editors of the day felt that the final chapter in the book was too 'optimistic'. Kubrick made the movie based on the US edition (the only one he had ever read) and Burgess hates it.

As a reaction Burgess wrote a stage version of 'A Clockwork Orange' that has shown around the world quite a bit (there was an Australian adaptation a few years ago which was reasonably good), and which he considers the 'definitive' script treatment of his book, and it is definitely better than the movie.

-- Wikipedia (not, happened to have read and taught this stuff ad nauseum and used to freelance for some journals my post-graduate days, a lifetime ago).

The Underdog
04-05-2010, 05:59 PM

It was all well and good until we started on the existentialists in the last quarter.

Murphy'sLore
04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
What about that deconstructionalist crap the Saints dish out?

AndrewP6
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Then my passion for ZOO Weekly wouldn't go down well ? It has words AND pictures.

Greystache
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." ... such a fantastic line

Perhaps we could adopt that line for WOOF

"All Bulldogs players are equal, but some are more equal than others... In post loss discussions"

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Geez that's going in hard -- "middling writer"... Read his essays, start with the one on Dickens, who really is overrated. Pulls Dickens' pants down in that one, and Tolstoy will never recover from Orwell's brilliant savaging.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
It was all well and good until we started on the existentialists in the last quarter.

Correct Weight! :D

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 01:56 PM
What about that deconstructionalist crap the Saints dish out?

^^^

I love it. Lyon's certainly abstracted the experience of space on the field (a la Daniel Liebiskind -- see the plans of the Jewish Museum in Berlin, which St.Kilda's gameplan must surely look like -- or Derrida's phenomenological no-cause/effect musings.. "if we win when we play like that it was the game conditions and opposition that we were playing to, to win"), forcing intuitive impressionists/process artists like Rocket (who I see in the vein of a Jackson Pollock or Cy Twombly -- "I trust my experience because I've experienced it all and have the intellectual capacity to filter my experience effectively") to adapt or die.

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 08:38 PM
^^^

I love it. Lyon's certainly abstracted the experience of space on the field (a la Daniel Liebiskind -- see the plans of the Jewish Museum in Berlin, which St.Kilda's gameplan must surely look like -- or Derrida's phenomenological no-cause/effect musings.. "if we win when we play like that it was the game conditions and opposition that we were playing to, to win"), forcing intuitive impressionists/process artists like Rocket (who I see in the vein of a Jackson Pollock or Cy Twombly -- "I trust my experience because I've experienced it all and have the intellectual capacity to filter my experience effectively") to adapt or die.

That might be slightly overestimating a man - Eade - whose favourite artist is Green Day...

The Adelaide Connection
05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
"...But on you will go though the weather be foul. On you will go though your enemies prowl. On you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl. Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. On and on you will hike. And I know you’ll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.

You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)...."

Let us not forget the great Theodore Seuss Geisel. Poignant.

Mantis
05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Can this thread get closed?

Rocco Jones
05-05-2010, 10:10 PM

It shouldn't be closed, just moved to the media and entertainment board.

GVGjr
05-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Agreed. It's gone way off topic