PDA

View Full Version : Could Eagleton replace Picken?

LostDoggy
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
IIRC During the Rhode era when Eagleton was struggling he reinvented himself as a tagger. Now that Picken is out for at least the next 6 or so weeks could we play Eagle in the tagging role of the oppistions best outside runner. I hink he has all the attributes to be able to play on these sort of players and maybe he can start to contribute in the so called big games

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Interesting option......not sure if the Eagle is defensively minded enough to really commit to the task of negating a player.
Likes to get forward of the ball and into space too much i think!

Remi Moses
04-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Wouldn't think so,not many defensive bones in the old eagle.

comrade
04-05-2010, 06:58 AM
I think Mantis just choked on his weet bix.

You're certainly looking outside the square, and I actually think Eagle's contested work has been ok this year (the hard running and finishing that we pay him for has been lacking), but he just doesn't have the defensive appetite you need to sacrifice yourself and shut down a quality opponent.

Mantis
04-05-2010, 07:11 AM
I think Mantis just choked on his weet bix.

You're certainly looking outside the square, and I actually think Eagle's contested work has been ok this year (the hard running and finishing that we pay him for has been lacking), but he just doesn't have the defensive appetite you need to sacrifice yourself and shut down a quality opponent.

It always comes back to me doesn't it? And if you were wondering the cornflakes got spat on the computer screen. (I am not a fan of weet-bix)

I wouldn't think it would be that great an idea to try and re-invent a player who is 30+ and most likely in his last year. If he can't do what he is good at any more it's time to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't be opposed to using Wood or Hill in this type of role to see if they could cut the mustard.

Bulldog Joe
04-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Actually he could do it.
He saved his spot by being a tagger under Rhode as previously mentioned.

I believe his run forward is too important to reinvent a new role.

He did have an ordinary game against St K because there was sinply no space forward to run. His contested work was ok, even took at least one overhead mark to go with 4 tackles. What was lacking was his finish and that is really to do with the St K game plan denying f50 space.

He was pretty effective against Adelaide.

chef
04-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Interesting option......not sure if the Eagle is defensively minded enough to really commit to the task of negating a player.
Likes to get forward of the ball and into space too much i think!

That's how he would be instructed to play IMO.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 09:58 AM
That's how he would be instructed to play IMO.

Im aware

Rocco Jones
04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
How about sticking with the young bloke who has done well in the role during the last 3 weeks?

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 07:18 PM
How about sticking with the young bloke who has done well in the role during the last 3 weeks?

What and praise Addison? Some people would rather choke on their cornflakes than do that! (I'm not saying you think that Mantis, just that the analogy fits into this thread).

I'm with you Rocco. We need more Dylan love.

Mantis
04-05-2010, 08:04 PM

So Dylan goes to Davey?

chef
04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
So Dylan goes to Davey?

You would hope not.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2010, 08:18 PM
So Dylan goes to Davey?

I would give him the gig on Davey. Dylan has done well over the past 3 weeks. Straight out beat Sherman, did a very good job in keeping Knights quiet and was decent in his time on Goddard who dominated us last year.

You would hope not.

Who else would you go with? Dylan has speed, agility and is definitely willing to sacrifice his own game for the team's benefit. Sure it's a risk but if he isn't going to make this role his own while Picken is out, I am not sure whether he has much value on our list.

Mantis
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Who else would you go with? Dylan has speed, agility and is definitely willing to sacrifice his own game for the team's benefit. Sure it's a risk but if he isn't going to make this role his own while Picken is out, I am not sure whether he has much value on our list.

Sort of and no.

Addison would get the serious run around on Davey, but as with you I can't find a suitable match-up.

chef
04-05-2010, 08:26 PM

I would go with either Harbrow or Morris(maybe Hargrave) depending on where Davey lines up. I don't know if Dylan would be able to keep up with Davey or match his agility and hasn't he had different roles to what Picken would have had anyway?

But then if Davey's playing in the backline then Addison as a defensive forward might be our best bet.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Sort of and no.

Addison would get the serious run around on Davey, but as with you I can't find a suitable match-up.

Yeah I think agility was overdoing it a bit. I think he moves OK when he is confident/has a bit of momentum.

I would go with either Harbrow or Morris(maybe Hargrave). I don't know if Dylan would be able to keep up with Davey or match his agility and hasn't he had different roles to what Picken would have had anyway?

Harbrow offers massive value to us through his line breaking. I would go out of my way to play him on a player he could expose by running off rather than the complete opposite of a close checking role.

Shaggy definitely not. He is suited to medium forwards/deep small forwards.

Morris would be a good option if Davey was spending more time forward but it will force Morris too far up the ground for my liking. He is also the best match up for their two most dangerous forwards in Green and Sylvia. I would play Morris on Sylvia.

Not so sure about how different Dylan and Picken's roles have been. They have a different tool set but so do most taggers/players. Sherman is the type Picken would normally pick up against Brisbane, Knights is stationed a bit more towards the forward line but not sure whether there are any more worth outside options for them and Goddard is definitely different. I get Dylan is more of HF/wing tag and Picken a wing/HF tag if that makes sense.:)

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
So Dylan goes to Davey?

I remember one game Tim Callan played on Davey and towelled him up. Applied the heat physically and Davey cracked mentally. Dylan might not have the dash to go with Davey, but he's got enough mongrel in him to work him over, Callan style.

chef
04-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Harbrow offers massive value to us through his line breaking. I would go out of my way to play him on a player he could expose by running off rather than the complete opposite of a close checking role.

Shaggy definitely not. He is suited to medium forwards/deep small forwards.

Morris would be a good option if Davey was spending more time forward but it will force Morris too far up the ground for my liking. He is also the best match up for their two most dangerous forwards in Green and Sylvia. I would play Morris on Sylvia.

Not so sure about how different Dylan and Picken's roles have been. They have a different tool set but so do most taggers/players. Sherman is the type Picken would normally pick up against Brisbane, Knights is stationed a bit more towards the forward line but not sure whether there are any more worth outside options for them and Goddard is definitely different. I get Dylan is more of HF/wing tag and Picken a wing/HF tag if that makes sense.:)

It does. I guess it just depends on where Davey plays and we seem to have a few options for that.

Mofra
05-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I remember one game Tim Callan played on Davey and towelled him up. Applied the heat physically and Davey cracked mentally. Dylan might not have the dash to go with Davey, but he's got enough mongrel in him to work him over, Callan style.
DFA has the mongrel and he cuts angles to make his legspeed less of an issue, but isn't a player that appears overly agile.

The working Davey over physically might be an idea - could be our targeted player to be in the gun this week. It's not a nice thing to do? Who cares.

Rocco Jones
05-05-2010, 07:15 PM
DFA has the mongrel and he cuts angles to make his legspeed less of an issue, but isn't a player that appears overly agile.

The working Davey over physically might be an idea - could be our targeted player to be in the gun this week. It's not a nice thing to do? Who cares.

I think Dylan has the courage and workrate but can work on the mongrel. I would like him to get his confidence up and develop an unsociable side.

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I'd give it a shot - I actually think he's a pretty good tackler.

BulldogBelle
05-05-2010, 11:41 PM
DFA wouldn't be a terrible option on Davey. He'd be instructed to stay close to him at all times so as to take Davey's speed advantage away and tackel the split second Davey receives.
Eagleton is an outside link player who we need to kick through the lines in the forward half and provide an outlet. We don't really have another player like him in the 22 right now, so to turn him into a tagger would be robbing us of the role he usually plays

Sockeye Salmon
06-05-2010, 12:39 AM
DFA wouldn't be a terrible option on Davey. He'd be instructed to stay close to him at all times so as to take Davey's speed advantage away and tackel the split second Davey receives.
Eagleton is an outside link player who we need to kick through the lines in the forward half and provide an outlet. We don't really have another player like him in the 22 right now, so to turn him into a tagger would be robbing us of the role he usually plays

Addison isn't particularily agile. Davey would turn him around and blow him away. I think this would be a poor matchup for us.

Jasper
06-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Addison isn't particularily agile. Davey would turn him around and blow him away. I think this would be a poor matchup for us.

DFA isn't quick either. DFA to go to Grimes.

Jarrad Grant could be one out of the box?? he's fast, he chases, his weak tackling may not be a barrier against a light body like Davey, and if he kicks straight he could make Davey bleed....big if I know...

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Since it's become a Davey thread.. have Mitch run through the soft so-and-so at the opening bounce, game over.

Sockeye Salmon
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Since it's become a Davey thread.. have Mitch run through the soft so-and-so at the opening bounce, game over.

Rodney did tell us once that he had Tim Callan get into him because Davey doesn't like to get knocked around too much and can get the sulks.

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 11:35 AM

I agree Addison has done a great job but i don't think he is picking up the players that Picken usally gets. For instance i think that last week Picken would have gone to Montagna, I think it may have been worthwhile to Give the hard tagging Job to Eagleton

Mantis
06-05-2010, 11:50 AM

When has Mitch ever physically imposed himself on an opposing player in this manner?

It just doesn't seem part of his make-up.

Sedat
06-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Davey was one of the few players to smash Picken last season so this match-up is probably the most critical for us to get right.

I was one of the Addison sceptics but he has been really good the last 3 weeks - especially so against the Saints, a team he has looked out of his depth against in recent encounters. I am worried about his lack of agility against someone whose great strength is being able to glide in and out of heavy traffic, but I'd still be inclined to give him the job on Davey and try to impose his physical presence on him from the outset.

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 03:10 PM
When has Mitch ever physically imposed himself on an opposing player in this manner?

It just doesn't seem part of his make-up.

You're right -- not Mitch then. I was just trying to think of someone physically big and can run through Davey. As SS said, we all know that Davey can be a bit mentally fragile if you knock him about early.

Who would you suggest for such a 'job'? I suppose Hall could, but that's risky considering his tribunal record, and no one else really has the mongrel you need for such a role. Minson, perhaps?