PDA

View Full Version : Eade defends role in St Kilda scrap

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Rocket breaks his silence about Friday's 'spectacle'...

Eade defends role in St Kilda scrap
May 4, 2010 - 1:38PM

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has defended his side's part in last week's scrappy AFL game against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

The Saints' three-point win was roundly criticised by commentators and fans as an ugly spectacle, with too great an emphasis on defence.

The aggregate score of 95 points was the lowest in 475 games played at the ground and the combined 13 goals came at an average of 66 disposals apiece.

Eade said he had not listened to much of the criticism, but felt that sometimes it was necessary for teams to focus on shutting down opponents when trying to win.

Rest of article here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eade-defends-role-in-st-kilda-scrap-20100504-u5lj.html)

chef
04-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I didn't mind Friday nights game(apart from the last 4 minutes:() for a change, but you wouldn't want every team playing that sort of football all the time.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Frankly, I didn't even realise it was so crap until I looked up at three quarter time and saw the scores. It was certainly an absorbing contest.

Having said that, I was weaned on soccer as much as I was on footy so am not necessarily the best gauge. Seven goals in soccer is a goalfest!

bornadog
04-05-2010, 06:08 PM
It was so frustrating to watch, one of the worst for a long time.

BulldogBelle
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
It was so frustrating to watch, one of the worst for a long time.

The game nearly killed me

comrade
04-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I loved it until 5 minutes from the end.

AndrewP6
04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I was sitting there thinking, as we were 23 up, before p***ing it all away, that if we'd won, it'd be a really unsatisfying win. For mine, it was dull and uninspiring for large chunks of time.

Add to that the fact that we P***ed it all away, and it made for one unhappy camper...

alwaysadog
04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
At 3 quarter time I was waiting for the sucker punch and sure enough it was delivered.

If you allow a team to dictate terms, even if you have the better of it for most of the match, in the end they will have your arse in their sling.

What Rocket needs to explain IMO is why he let it happen, again.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 09:19 PM
boring game............if we want that lock down shit we may as well watch rugby, afl is separated from the rugby shit for its fast and exciting game play.

if we had won, it would have been more relief then joy (that sitting there watching it for 2 hrs was not a waste of time) however i only watched the 1st quarter...............taped the rest so i could go back and watch it if we had one...............but (unfortunately) or fortunately...............i didn't have to put myself through 3 more quarters of that shit,

Mantis
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM
At 3 quarter time I was waiting for the sucker punch and sure enough it was delivered.

If you allow a team to dictate terms, even if you have the better of it for most of the match, in the end they will have your arse in their sling.

You might be waiting a while.

The Coon Dog
04-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Perhaps you should ask him!

Happy to PM you with his email address, though I suspect you may already have that.

Be grateful if you could let us know how you get on.

Go Bulldogs Go
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
That was the worst game I have ever been to in my life. It's always such an effort getting to the ground on a Friday night, and to have to suffer through such a boring game is hard to take. Certainly would turn me of AFL if the team played like that every week.

Bulldog4life
05-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I think Rocket is on the same wave length of a lot of Posters....including me...when he said "But certainly from our point of view we'd like to move the ball a bit quicker and we probably fell into the trap a little bit at times".

That sums it up for me perfectly.

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I too found it an incredibly frustrating/boring game to the point I almost got my book out of my bag to read. To then lose it in the way that we did I went from bored to angry in the space of 5 minutes. :mad:

Remi Moses
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Gotta Love Ross Lyon he claimed on Saturday Morning that the only reason they played that style was because of his side turning the ball over constantly!Hate to plagerise (spelling?) but if Lyon told me it was raining I'd step outside to check. We fluffed our lines in this game simple!!

1eyedog
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I was at the game and really enjoyed 99% of it. I thought it was a great example of a static strategy and was a real test of everyone's metal toughness. You could cut the tension with a knife. I wouldn't want to see it ebvery weekend, but absolute goal-fest games become monotenous as well. This game was pressure, pressure, pressure and was hard as nails. Great stuff but wrong result.

ratsmac
05-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I was at the game and really enjoyed 99% of it. I thought it was a great example of a static strategy and was a real test of everyone's metal toughness. You could cut the tension with a knife. I wouldn't want to see it ebvery weekend, but absolute goal-fest games become monotenous as well. This game was pressure, pressure, pressure and was hard as nails. Great stuff but wrong result.

I'm with you on this one. I enjoyed that game from the tactical point. It was good to see the dogs so disiplined in a game plan the coach had direcrted them to play. And all in all I think it was our best defensive effort for along time, it's just a pity that the saints got us in the end. I still can't believe we actually lost that game, it made me sick to the stomach all weekend. We will learn a bit from that game I think (especially not to put your guard down against the saints) and it should hold us in good stead for the remainder of the season.

AndrewP6
05-05-2010, 10:36 PM
!Hate to plagerise (spelling?) but if Lyon told me it was raining I'd step outside to check. We fluffed our lines in this game simple!!

plagiarise :)

AndrewP6
05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I too found it an incredibly frustrating/boring game to the point I almost got my book out of my bag to read. To then lose it in the way that we did I went from bored to angry in the space of 5 minutes. :mad:

Saints fan next to me did... for about two thirds of the night...