PDA

View Full Version : No need to worry just yet

OLD SCRAGGer
04-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Just checked on last years fixture and after Round 6 2009, we were 3/3 , so actually NOTHING has changed. So at this time there is no need for PANIC!!!!!:D:D:D

chef
04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Just checked on last years fixture and after Round 6 2009, we were 3/3 , so actually NOTHING has changed. So at this time there is no need for PANIC!!!!!:D:D:D

I agree, I'm confident we will be 7 and 3 after 10 rounds.

Dazza
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I think the sides been getting better each week minus the Brisbane game to be honest. I'll be worried if we drop any of the next 4 games.

bornadog
04-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I think the sides been getting better each week minus the Brisbane game to be honest. I'll be worried if we drop any of the next 4 games.

We were 28 points up till Williams got knocked out and stopped our momentum.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Couldn't agree more. I hate all the negativity. If we dropped all the players that get bagged, we would struggle to field a side. Like everyone I'm disappointed expecting us to be world beaters this year. Have faith it still may come, i reckon we have looked tired in most games, maybe our training load has been hude and will be tailed off, so we can come home with a wet sail at the business end of the season.

G-Mo77
04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Maybe not but the trend continues of losing to the top sides which I find a worry. We need to win these games it's plain and simple or we will all be crying yet again after another Prelim loss. We could win the next 4 and I'm confident we will but we drop that Round 11 game to Collingwood I'll organize my alcohol got GF day to watch 2 teams play who are not the Western Bulldogs.

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Couldn't agree more. I hate all the negativity. If we dropped all the players that get bagged, we would struggle to field a side. Like everyone I'm disappointed expecting us to be world beaters this year. Have faith it still may come, i reckon we have looked tired in most games, maybe our training load has been hude and will be tailed off, so we can come home with a wet sail at the business end of the season.

I think with the inclusion of Hall and our pre-season victory, our expectations were really high, but the facts are this: bottom 8 sides, 3 wins. Top 8 sides, 2 comprehensive losses and Friday nights debacle.

I'd say it's not time to panic, but it must be a worry that we haven't looked up to it against good sides. And I'm not a huge fan of negativity, but when it's realistic assessment, you have to admit that there are some issues that our side needs to fix or address.

I still believe this can and most probably will be a good year for us (and I hope the best year of all), but we can only talk about current form, and ours quite simply isn't that great. Fingers crossed though.

Scorlibo
04-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I think with the inclusion of Hall and our pre-season victory, our expectations were really high, but the facts are this: bottom 8 sides, 3 wins. Top 8 sides, 2 comprehensive losses and Friday nights debacle.

I'd say it's not time to panic, but it must be a worry that we haven't looked up to it against good sides. And I'm not a huge fan of negativity, but when it's realistic assessment, you have to admit that there are some issues that our side needs to fix or address.

I still believe this can and most probably will be a good year for us (and I hope the best year of all), but we can only talk about current form, and ours quite simply isn't that great. Fingers crossed though.

In all three of our encounters against top 8 sides we either outplayed them or were in a winning position at some stage, or both. We just haven't been able to win :o.

Collingwood - we at least matched them for three quarters, but we were wasteful with our opportunities meaning that we ran out of legs in the last.

Brisbane - were 30 points up. Enough said.

St Kilda - we outplayed them and were in a winning position for most of the match.

As long as we show that we can match it with the top teams, and so long as we notch up enough wins to make the top 4, who cares if we don't beat them in the regular season? That's what finals are for.

cinder
04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Interesting. For some reason it feels like we are worse off. Thanks for pointing this out!

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 07:01 PM
In all three of our encounters against top 8 sides we either outplayed them or were in a winning position at some stage, or both. We just haven't been able to win :o.

Collingwood - we at least matched them for three quarters, but we were wasteful with our opportunities meaning that we ran out of legs in the last.

Brisbane - were 30 points up. Enough said.

St Kilda - we outplayed them and were in a winning position for most of the match.

As long as we show that we can match it with the top teams, and so long as we notch up enough wins to make the top 4, who cares if we don't beat them in the regular season? That's what finals are for.

Of course conversely to that, at some stage in those games we were either outplayed or in a losing position at some stage or both. But our opposition was able to be in the right place when it mattered, at the end.

And you're right about what you said re those three games. But we still lost. What we did/didn't do during those games is unfortunately not what will decide our ladder position. Where we stood at the end of the game will.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=dfa4pm;150672]I think with the inclusion of Hall and our pre-season victory, our expectations were really high, but the facts are this: bottom 8 sides, 3 wins. Top 8 sides, 2 comprehensive losses and Friday nights debacle.

Firstly, I agree - too much negativity. They boys play some outstanding footy and we have won three games, same as last season.

One thing that worries me is Barry's poor discipline. I love the way he plays, incredible athlete and so on. However, that hand in the face thing that robbed Gilby of a sureshot was a disgrace. As much as I love him he needs a good spray from Rocket to put him in his place.

LostDoggy
04-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I would much prefer us playing like we are now in April / May and timing our run to peak in July / August / September, rather than the opposite like we did in 2008! We have the team to beat anyone on the day - we know that. 2010 is probably the most open run at the premiership in a long time. The effect that Hall and Williams has had on our team structure / style of play has been quite significant, plus we have not had a fit Johnno / Ward / Picken / Reid to pick as yet.

Keep looking on the positive side of things!

Im going out to put $100 on the Dogs for the flag now.
Carn the Doggies!!

Scorlibo
04-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Of course conversely to that, at some stage in those games we were either outplayed or in a losing position at some stage or both. But our opposition was able to be in the right place when it mattered, at the end.

And you're right about what you said re those three games. But we still lost. What we did/didn't do during those games is unfortunately not what will decide our ladder position. Where we stood at the end of the game will.

For sure, just saying that I wouldn't read too much into our bad start against good sides, flat win/loss ratios are so misleading when it comes to form.

BulldogBelle
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
We were 28 points up till Williams got knocked out and stopped our momentum.

That is very true, I went to the Bris game and it really did shift the momentum their way after Williams went off. Once Bris started getting a few goals, the crowd just urged them on, you could clearly see things were not going to go our way.

EasternWest
04-05-2010, 10:53 PM
For sure, just saying that I wouldn't read too much into our bad start against good sides, flat win/loss ratios are so misleading when it comes to form.

For me they're the cold hard facts. But I see where you're coming from.

LostDoggy
05-05-2010, 02:16 AM
I think we still are getting used to having a big Full Forward. Always trying to get the ball to him, instead of what we were doing last year.

OLD SCRAGGer
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
2009:

Round 1 : Fremantle (who were really crappy last year) = WE WON

Round 2: Nth Melbourne (Crappy last year) = WE WON

Round 3 : Richmond (Crappy for years) = WE WON

Round 4 : West Coast ( Crappy for several years) = WE LOST

Round 5 : Carlton (Improving last year) = WE LOST

Round 6 : StKilda (2nd Best in comp last year) = WE LOST.

In surmation Ladies & Gentelmen, 3 wins against Crappy teams 2 Losses against fairly good sides & 1 loss against crap side.seems like we are going through same stage this year, but our losses have been against pretty good quality sides this year. Things will change for the better..I HAVE FAITH IN MY BOYS!!!!!!!!!!! GO DOGS!!

lemmon
05-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Agree with the general sentiment having mellowed out since Friday I have realised that we have probably been the better side in 5 of our 6 games and in the other, although we dont like to use them, there were excuses for the result. The heart still beats.

bornadog
05-05-2010, 06:11 PM
2009:

Round 1 : Fremantle (who were really crappy last year) = WE WON

Round 2: Nth Melbourne (Crappy last year) = WE WON

Round 3 : Richmond (Crappy for years) = WE WON

Round 4 : West Coast ( Crappy for several years) = WE LOST

Round 5 : Carlton (Improving last year) = WE LOST

Round 6 : StKilda (2nd Best in comp last year) = WE LOST.

In surmation Ladies & Gentelmen, 3 wins against Crappy teams 2 Losses against fairly good sides & 1 loss against crap side.seems like we are going through same stage this year, but our losses have been against pretty good quality sides this year. Things will change for the better..I HAVE FAITH IN MY BOYS!!!!!!!!!!! GO DOGS!!

One difference is the losses this year, we have been in winning positions and we haven't been thrashed, although Pies got away in the end, but it was still winnable at three quarter time.