PDA

View Full Version : Lack of leadership an issue ?

Ghost Dog
04-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Not having Brad as a consistent figure on field so far. How has that influenced the team?
I heard he will be out again this week.

Strong leadership, of the kind that Lenny Hayes showed, is what you need in a team. Could all these fumbles the trend to drop the head a bit be a result of lack of leadership? Do you think Gia seems to be enjoying the role? He has hardly had long to get used to the role... so give him a go, sure. However, the players don't seem to back themselves sometimes and I wonder if it is a confidence issue.

hope the smiling assasin makes a speedy return... we need him! Gia, keep going mate, excellent game round 5, things to work on next week after round 6. Take your shots!

AndrewP6
04-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I think it is an issue, but we have plenty of talented experienced players without needing to rely on Johnno. Some of those others have to stand up.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I actually truly don't mean for the following to be as cynical as it sounds but...

I think our leadership group does a great job outside of big moments against quality sides. Make of that what you will.

GVGjr
04-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Not having Brad as a consistent figure on field so far. How has that influenced the team?
I heard he will be out again this week.

Strong leadership, of the kind that Lenny Hayes showed, is what you need in a team. Could all these fumbles the trend to drop the head a bit be a result of lack of leadership? Do you think Gia seems to be enjoying the role? He has hardly had long to get used to the role... so give him a go, sure. However, the players don't seem to back themselves sometimes and I wonder if it is a confidence issue.

hope the smiling assasin makes a speedy return... we need him! Gia, keep going mate, excellent game round 5, things to work on next week after round 6. Take your shots!

Depth wise we have an abundance of leaders and I do think we have some strong candidates.

Regarding the not backing themselves reference, there is probably a lot of truth in that but we do have some game breakers like Cooney, Griffen and Akermanis but this is offset by a few conservative types. It could be a confidence issue or in the case of a few players more of a case of knowing their limitations.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Depth wise we have an abundance of leaders and I do think we have some strong candidates.

Regarding the not backing themselves reference, there is probably a lot of truth in that but we do have some game breakers like Cooney, Griffen and Akermanis but this is offset by a few conservative types. It could be a confidence issue or in the case of a few players more of a case of knowing their limitations.

I agree with all of this.

I do think we have a lot of good 'leadership group' type options.

The e game breakers in our side also probably don't have the leadership qualities you'd want from a captain and conversely the standout leaders don't have the game breaking quality and as you say, seem conservative/knowing limitations/lacking confidence in big moments.

GVGjr
04-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I agree with all of this.

I do think we have a lot of good 'leadership group' type options.

The e game breakers in our side also probably don't have the leadership qualities you'd want from a captain and conversely the standout leaders don't have the game breaking quality and as you say, seem conservative/knowing limitations/lacking confidence in big moments.

A guy like Cross is just a fantastic example of someone who has the respect of his team mates and the coaches plus he sets a terrific example on the training track and is very articulate. All attributes you would want in a leader.
As a player he is an extremely hard worker but he is also someone who plays within his limitations. Whilst some get frustrated that he has a handball first mentality they would be vastly more frustrated if he was constantly trying to do more with the footy than what he is capable of.

Despite the consistency of his football, which must be great for the coach, he is no game breaker and doesn't pretend to be. Should that limit him from being a captain of the club?
I don't really have the answer but I do know he is a fine example to the younger group.

A similar logic, albeit with different variables, could be applied to Morris, Boyd and Giansiracusa.

I don't think a lack of leadership is the issue at the club nor was it an issue on Friday night.
Perhaps we are lacking one more genuine game breaker.