HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Ryan Griffen, Daniel Cross, Andrejs Everitt
HF: Robert Murphy, Mitch Hahn, Shaun Higgins
F: Daniel Giansiracusa, Barry Hall, Jason Akermanis
Foll: Ben Hudson, Matthew Boyd, Adam Cooney
I/C: Dylan Addison, Jarrad Grant, Brennan Stack, Jordan Roughead
Emg: Will Minson, Josh Hill, Easton Wood

In: Boyd, Stack
Out: Nathan Eagleton (leg), Brad Johnson (groin)

chef
06-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Rocco's going to be excited.

Go_Dogs
06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I must say, I'm pretty pleased with that selection.

Possible late swap of Roughead -> Minson, or perhaps the shoulder has pulled up ok.

Mantis must be very pleased with one of the outs.

Mantis
06-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Melbourne

B: Cameron Bruce, Matthew Warnock, James Frawley
HB: James McDonald, Colin Garland, Clint Bartram
C: Jack Trengove, Jordie McKenzie, Jared Rivers
HF: Brad Green, Colin Sylvia, Lynden Dunn
F: Nathan Jones, Matthew Bate, Aaron Davey
Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Grimes, Brent Moloney
I/C: Jamie Bennell, Paul Johnson, Tom Scully, Daniel Hughes
Emg: Joel Macdonald, Neville Jetta, Michael Newton

In: Johnson, Hughes, McKenzie
Out: Joel Macdonald, Ricky Petterd (shoulder), Stefan Martin

New: Daniel Hughes (Sandringham/rookie list)

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Stack.....due to the forward line missing Johnno?

Otherwise you would have Wood in before Stack I thought.

Not a bad thing though, hope he does well.

Sockeye Salmon
06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Out: Joel Macdonald, Ricky Petterd (shoulder), Stefan Martin

Joel Macdonald dropped?

Templeton31
06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Stack? Willi reports dont suggest he's been setting the world on fire down there.

ANd whats wrong with Eagles leg? Same thing that was wrong with Moles ankle? i.e what? neither on the injury list....(hmmm I havent read the injury list thread on woof so going out on a limb there)

The Bulldogs Bite
06-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Fair to say Mantis is the happiest man out of the lot, probably followed by Stack. ;)

Where is Moles actually at?

Either way, I am happy with those changes. It's the right time to include Stack. Both Roughead and Grant have done pretty well in their first two weeks, so Stack really has no excuses but to perform. Let's hope he does - we are desperate for a quick, zippy forward.

Sedat
06-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Our defensive pressure has been good in the last couple of weeks and, looking at the ins and outs, it should be even better this week (especially in the forward 50).

G-Mo77
06-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Stack in is a big surprise. :eek:

I really think Minson will be a late change also.

Cyberdoggie
06-05-2010, 06:59 PM
ANd whats wrong with Eagles leg?

If it's the right one then it can't kick the ball i believe.

Greystache
06-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Happy with those selections. There's no doubt Stack has talent, whether he ever realises it and gets the most out of himself who knows. I'm happy there's a bit of adventure in our selection this year, Roughead, Grant, now Stack getting games into them.

comrade
06-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Who thought Jarrad Grant would play three games in a row? If ‘m being honest, I thought he’d struggle to have an impact, drop his head and go straight back to Willy.

All credit to him.

Cyberdoggie
06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Our average age probably dropped in half by those 2 inclusions :p

Good to see we are giving chances to your younger players at the right time of the season.

Personally i don't think Stack is consistent enough, but he'll excite with 1 or 2 passages of play then he'll trip over his own feet or kick a fresh air from 2 metres out.

G-Mo77
06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Without going through all the Willy reports again how has Stack's form been?

ReLoad
06-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Personally we should have exposed Melbournes backline some more, I would have brought Hill back into the team, in all seriousness Melbourne dont have anyone even remotely capable of manning him up, particulalrly with Hall getting double teamed.

Hall should kick 6 this week, if he doesnt the midfeild needs a good old fashion rocket spray!

So looking for an insiders opinion, how come we cannot run out a game anymore? is the lack of that extra midfeilder killing us that much? case in point, Daniel Cross, top 1% in the AFL for endurance, yet the last 3 weeks cannot kick 20 meters over a jam jar.

Mantis
06-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Without going through all the Willy reports again how has Stack's form been?

His 2nd half was very good last week.

LostDoggy
06-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I think the Stack inclusion could be a good one, some fresh legs & a new face to hover around Barry. If he can use his size, agility & speed to get everything off the packs Barry creates, he could well have a day out.

Boyd, well it's great to have him back.

Greystache
06-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Who thought Jarrad Grant would play three games in a row? If ‘m being honest, I thought he’d struggle to have an impact, drop his head and go straight back to Willy.

All credit to him.

Haha, not me.. I didn't think he'd play 3 all year.

He doesn't seem the same bloke who used to mope around Burbank oval. I know you watch Willi every week, do you think he needs the big stage to get his intensity up?

craigsahibee
06-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Personally we should have exposed Melbournes backline some more, I would have brought Hill back into the team, in all seriousness Melbourne dont have anyone even remotely capable of manning him up, particulalrly with Hall getting double teamed.

Hall should kick 6 this week, if he doesnt the midfeild needs a good old fashion rocket spray!

So looking for an insiders opinion, how come we cannot run out a game anymore? is the lack of that extra midfeilder killing us that much? case in point, Daniel Cross, top 1% in the AFL for endurance, yet the last 3 weeks cannot kick 20 meters over a jam jar.

We didn't go to Arizona this year..

bornadog
06-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Stack? Willi reports dont suggest he's been setting the world on fire down there.

Stack.....due to the forward line missing Johnno?

Otherwise you would have Wood in before Stack I thought. .

I thought Stack played well last Saturday and should have had at least 4 goals not 2. He was very lively in the forward line and his silky skills were a class above. He does go missing sometimes and needs to demand the ball more.

Wood played ok, and may need a few more games to hit top form.

chef
06-05-2010, 09:21 PM
We didn't go to Arizona this year..

No, it was the year before.

FrediKanoute
06-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Not an insider, but have been giving this some thought. I think it has a lot to do with the manner in whcih the game is played now. Previously you trained AFL footballers as endurance athletes who would keep going and goiing all day. Sure you had a few burst players who would come off the bench and blow a game open, but didn't have the legs to run out a game.

The extra interchange players have meant that you can now rotate midfielders in particular to sprint and then rest and hence the emphasis on training is less about endurance and more about bursts. We certainly under rocket have adopted this approach as has most of the competition. The cost however appears to be that if a game is physically taxing recovery times are longer and the ability to back up or run a game out is compromised.

As I said, I'm not an insider and the above is simply an observation. Maybe this is worth a thread on its own and some of those closer to modern football/sports (ie MJP) could provide some insights.

ReLoad
06-05-2010, 09:49 PM
On a side note Fredi, how good was Crouchies header? can u belive that we made the top 4, come on you spurs!

Redknapp for PM.

FrediKanoute
06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Crouchies header was great! Given he'd had 2 previous tries it was nice to see him finally get one! Harry would be a better PM than the 3 donkeys that are competing today.....

Templeton31
06-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Just watched match recorded. Great work by Crouchie and Spurs deserved 4th. How pumped were the team and away supporters after the game! Great to see.

comrade
06-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Too much Spurs, not enough Dogs ;)

ReLoad
07-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Spurs and the doggies are such a natural fit, after all it is only one stop on the train from Tottenham to West Footscray. :)

Who else here grew up in Tottenham? Fontein street, ah they good old days.............

Mofra
07-05-2010, 10:39 AM

A little disapointed that Wood has been playing well & misses out again and Minson responded to his demotion with two games in the bests (2nd game BOG) and can't get in.

If the theory is Roughy can rest up forward (he is a better mark in the F50 than Minson), he should actually rest up forward a la the Crows game instead of spending most of his non-rucking time on the bench.
I still hope we don't "Josh Fraser" the kid by overplaying him as a 19 year old when he couldn't complete a VFL season last year.

comrade
07-05-2010, 11:05 AM
A little disapointed that Wood has been playing well & misses out again and Minson responded to his demotion with two games in the bests (2nd game BOG) and can't get in.

If the theory is Roughy can rest up forward (he is a better mark in the F50 than Minson), he should actually rest up forward a la the Crows game instead of spending most of his non-rucking time on the bench.
I still hope we don't "Josh Fraser" the kid by overplaying him as a 19 year old when he couldn't complete a VFL season last year.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a late change.

ledge
07-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Spurs and the doggies are such a natural fit, after all it is only one stop on the train from Tottenham to West Footscray. :)

Who else here grew up in Tottenham? Fontein street, ah they good old days.............

Melon street Braybrook for me but worked at JAC paper (Avery Dennison until it closed 2 years ago) near Totty station.

ledge
07-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Need Roughy to play or I am short in the ruck in my supercoach.
I think Roughy could play forward and leave Minson and Hudson to ruck if he comes in.

Can you imagine Hall doing the leading, dragging all the backmen with him and Roughy sitting in the square waiting for our "bomb it long" when in trouble situations.

EasternWest
07-05-2010, 12:02 PM
If it's the right one then it can't kick the ball i believe.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Mantis
07-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Need Roughy to play or I am short in the ruck in my supercoach.
I think Roughy could play forward and leave Minson and Hudson to ruck if he comes in.

Can you imagine Hall doing the leading, dragging all the backmen with him and Roughy sitting in the square waiting for our "bomb it long" when in trouble situations.

We already struggling in the running department and you want to add another big log into the mix..... Doesn't make sense.

Thank christ you aren't in charge of things at WO.

ledge
07-05-2010, 01:24 PM
We already struggling in the running department and you want to add another big log into the mix..... Doesn't make sense.

Thank christ you aren't in charge of things at WO.

I dont believe its running we lack , its more height and marking.
Cooney, Griffen, Harbrow, Gilbee, if they are spotting your targets no problem, also have Cross and Boyd.

Running wasnt our problem last week it was kicking it around in circles 60 mtrs out because we werent game enough to bomb it because we had no tall to take a mark.
Hall was fighting 3 or 4 opponents.
Where people get the idea we have no runners is beyond me, its our forward line is the problem.

Hall is awesome but a hand down there would help immensely.
Hall is the only tall marker in a pack we have had for years, what I have seen of Roughy he is capable of it too, few and far between in our club.
Minson is great at thumping the ball 30 metres but my god how often does he take a mark or kick a goal when up forward?
Hudson is our deft touch ruck who actually puts it into our midfielders hands.
Has he ever kicked a goal in his life its that rare.

Roughy is young and throwing him in the ruck too long will take its toll on his body , playing forward with Hall and learning a lot from him now while his body gets stronger will set him up for rucking and being a forward in years to come .

And as for your Thank Christ comment what is your back up to struggling for runners?

Mantis
07-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I dont believe its running we lack , its more height and marking.
Cooney, Griffen, Harbrow, Gilbee, if they are spotting your targets no problem, also have Cross and Boyd.

Running wasnt our problem last week it was kicking it around in circles 60 mtrs out because we werent game enough to bomb it because we had no tall to take a mark.
Hall was fighting 3 or 4 opponents.Where people get the idea we have no runners is beyond me, its our forward line is the problem.?

We were dead on our feet at 3/4 time which means our running power wasn't good enough. I agree in part that our ball use didn't do us any favours and that we should have kicked to Hall when he was 1 on 1, but for the last 1 and 1/2 we couldn't run to space or get our hands on the ball which makes it pretty hard to win/ close out a game.

Hall is awesome but a hand down there would help immensely.
Hall is the only tall marker in a pack we have had for years, what I have seen of Roughy he is capable of it too, few and far between in our club.
Minson is great at thumping the ball 30 metres but my god how often does he take a mark or kick a goal when up forward?
Hudson is our deft touch ruck who actually puts it into our midfielders hands.
Has he ever kicked a goal in his life its that rare.

Roughy is young and throwing him in the ruck too long will take its toll on his body , playing forward with Hall and learning a lot from him now while his body gets stronger will set him up for rucking and being a forward in years to come .

Hall is not a pack marker. He is a player who leads well and finds space well. If we/ you are of the thinking that we can just bomb it to him in a pack situation we're/ you're dreaming. Quick ball movement would have helped last week to make the most of his one out situations, but even if we are not out-numbered down there I don't think we can rely on Hall or others to take pack marks, it's just not the way modern footy is played.

Agree that Roughead's time in the ruck needs to be carefully monitored, but I do not believe he is ready to be a permanent option in the forwardline at this stage of his development.

And as for your Thank Christ comment what is your back up to struggling for runners?

As previously explained in this post and in others the fact that we aren't running our games out as strongly as we have in the past lends me to believe our runnning power isn't at a level it should be.

Mofra
07-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Running power is required against zones/uber-flooders as if you aren't running quickly on the turnover then you need to stop & prop to find a target, which lets the opposition set up their zone.

Our most effective players last week were Harbrow & Cooney - creative runners. Arguably the forward who looked most dangerous at times ws Grant when he ran the ball and tried to make the play, and that wasn't due to pack-marking.

ledge
07-05-2010, 02:39 PM
As previously explained in this post and in others the fact that we aren't running our games out as strongly as we have in the past lends me to believe our runnning power isn't at a level it should be.

I thought i read an article where Gia or someone at the club said it wasnt a problem we are ok with running out games.

I think apart from last week its our first quarters that have hurt us more than our last.

Fact is a game is played with 2 teams and both teams will have a part of the game where they are in control, to me its more us not making the most of when we are in control.

My thinking with Roughead at this point is along the lines of Hawks, Brisbane, Sydney, 2 marking forwards.
Sydney tend to be closer as an example with Jesse White and Bradshaw. Jesse being the taller player and Bradshaw the strong bodied one. Jesse is stronger than Roughy of course.

Hahn and Murph are good but a couple of inches short.
Would love to see Roughy continue and think he will get better each game, a natural.

ledge
07-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Running power is required against zones/uber-flooders as if you aren't running quickly on the turnover then you need to stop & prop to find a target, which lets the opposition set up their zone.

Our most effective players last week were Harbrow & Cooney - creative runners. Arguably the forward who looked most dangerous at times ws Grant when he ran the ball and tried to make the play, and that wasn't due to pack-marking.

I agree completely but if we do prop and stop (which we do)we need a tall forward capable of reaching for the ball in a pack.
Harbrow was awesome last week but as a forward would get tagged , as a backmen he isnt, thus gets the chance to run off more, love him as a player but just has to play back.

Grant is getting better and he really does show something once he has confidence, i like him a lot.
We have a lot of options up forward but some of it means robbing Peter to pay Paul or using younger players that are just that few games away from taking the game on.

I love what i see in this side individually but we just cant get the game plan going up forward, or is it the ones bringing it in not delivering properly?

Mofra
07-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I agree completely but if we do prop and stop (which we do)we need a tall forward capable of reaching for the ball in a pack.
Wont make a difference if there are (for example) 14 Saints players in the F50 arc.
I certainly wouldn't like to think oru savior in that instance is a 19 year old kid playing his 2nd game of AFL football.

There were times we were static last week, and the Brisbane game in H2 there was a distinct lack of running when we were in possession too. A running mid making a hard lead into what little space there is would be far more effective than bombing the ball and hoping Hall (not a noted pack marker), Roughy (lets keep expectations in check for a moment) or Minson (lets not go there) can somehow pull off the miraculous.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 04:42 PM
We should play Roughy in the forward line and Hudson in the ruck and when Huddo gets tired we can give him a break and Roughy can ruck for a little bit theres no point in wrecking his body now. I'd rather him in instead of Will because he can play forward well.

divvydan
07-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Late change; Roughead out, Hill in

Rocco Jones
07-05-2010, 07:25 PM
What a night for me?

First Stack is in and then we go with my 'part timer as our 2nd ruck' theory.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Didn't see that one coming.

Good opportunity for Hill and Stack to have big nights, I hope they both crank up the defensive work.

Everitt to pinch hit in the ruck I'm guessing?

comrade
07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
What a night for me?

First Stack is in and then we go with my 'part timer as our 2nd ruck' theory.

RJ is actually Leon Cameron.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Strange move by the Dogs.

Thought Wilbur would be the likely replacement for Roughead.

chef
07-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Wow. Big night for Huddo and hopefully Hill grabs his chance his two hands.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Mantis must be very pleased with one of the outs.

I must say not just mantis!;)

The Underdog
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Strange move by the Dogs.

Thought Wilbur would be the likely replacement for Roughead.

He was probably going to be, until it started to rain.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I think the Stack inclusion could be a good one, some fresh legs & a new face to hover around Barry. If he can use his size, agility & speed to get everything off the packs Barry creates, he could well have a day out.

Boyd, well it's great to have him back.

Fully agree and he maybe the boy we are looking for as the others don't seem to be interested in playing second to Hall.

It may also give him a bit more confidence than last year standing down their with Big Will.

ReLoad
07-05-2010, 08:37 PM

That phone call i made was worth the 35 cents then, lets hope he doesnt dissapoint.

The Adelaide Connection
07-05-2010, 11:17 PM
4 points on the premiership table and a less painful flight home to Adelaide. I'll take that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 11:29 PM
4 points on the premiership table and a less painful flight home to Adelaide. I'll take that.

Safe travels to you. Now go and have a drink to steady the nerves!