PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R7 Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne

BulldogBelle
07-05-2010, 12:21 AM
This is the discussion thread for this Friday night's game at the G against Melbourne.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 39 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Mitch Hahn to kick the first goal.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Dogs by 42 Points
BOG: Cooney for me to
FG: Gotta be Bazza!

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Dogs by 38
Griff BOG
Bazza First goal :)

boydogs
07-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Dogs by 70 points
BOG: Ryan Griffen
First Goal: Robert Murphy

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 03:32 AM
Margin: Dogs by 47pts
BOG: Matt Boyd
First Goal: Jarrad Grant

The Pie Man
07-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Dogs by 42 pts
Hall first goal
Griffen BOG

Scorlibo
07-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Dogs by 56
Cooney BOG
Grant first goal.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Dogs by 29 points.
Griffen BOG.
Higgins first goal.

comrade
07-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm hoping for a belting.

Dogs by 73
BOG: Adam Cooney
1st Goal: Barry Hall
Rising Star: Jarrad Grant with 4 goals

bornadog
07-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Dogs by 47

First Goal - Hahn

BOG - Boyd

BulldogBelle
07-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Dogs by 3 points

First Goal : Hudson

BOG : Giansiracusa

KT31
07-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Dogs by 67
First goal : Cooney
BOG : Barry Hall (Kicks a bag)

chef
07-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Doggies by 43
Bazza BOG
Bazza First Goal

Mantis
07-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Dogs by 38pts

BOG - Griffen

1st goal - Hahn

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Dogs by 29 points.

BOG Cooney

1st goal Hall

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Dogs by 48 points

BOG Gia
1st Goal Mitch

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I know the conditions are terrible tonight, but I expected us to come out snarling.. but not really showing that we want to stamp out authority on the contest.
Something missing so far

KT31
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I know the conditions are terrible tonight, but I expected us to come out snarling.. but not really showing that we want to stamp out authority on the contest.
Something missing so far

Agree with you.
If the Dee's kick straight we are behind.
Would have thought Hill would have more commitment than he is showing.

KT31
07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Any other forward would have a half a dozen free kicks by now.
But Bazza ?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Agree with you.
If the Dee's kick straight we are behind.
Would have thought Hill would have more commitment than he is showing.

If they don't lift the intensity BIG time in the 3rd, there is a big upset on the cards here.
I certainly didn't think we would blow Melbourne away, but I thought that we would out muscle and out hustle the dees, and will ourselves on every contest.
Melbourne have shown cleaner hands in the wet and increasingly in that second quarter were getting more numbers to the ball, and moving the ball better than us.
We seem stuck in 2nd gear, and just plodding along.
Really uninspiring stuff at the moment.

KT31
07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Disgusting the way we kick to the oposition all the time.
TOP FOUR, IF WE DON'T IMPROVE WE WILL BE LUCKY TO MAKE THE EIGHT.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Melbourne are the only team daring to win tonight. They are taking the risk and heaven help us if they hit the front.
WE don't seem to have any system when going forward, and what was with Everitt bombing it up forward when the only 2 players within 20 metres of where he kicked it to were Demons players. Poor decisions by so many of our players.
We really look down on confidence and seem unable to play anything but a couple of minutes of sustained good football.

Eade seems visibly angry in the coaches box and amongst the group at 3Qtr time, but I'm concerned the players look past the point where an angry response by the coach is going to work.
Some really worrying signs as a playing group.
A crappy win here is not going to help us going into a pivotal game against Sydney in Manuka, and a loss would surely take what any remaining wind out of our sails heading into next weeks game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Disgusting the way we kick to the oposition all the time.
TOP FOUR, IF WE DON'T IMPROVE WE WILL BE LUCKY TO MAKE THE EIGHT.

Our disposal has been atrocious

ReLoad
07-05-2010, 10:52 PM
What a shocking game of football. and we are not even giving a yelp.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Do not deserve to win this game

Stefcep
07-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Melb goal! SHit!!!!Game over

KT31
How can you kick a goal if you have nobody in your forward fifty?

DOG GOD
Do not deserve to win this game

WONT win this game

ReLoad
07-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Kick and hope, nothing clean, no intent, no purpose, no leadership.

If we honestly think we are even remotely going to play finals we are dreaming.

DOG GOD
07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
How soft is our team..dear oh dear. melb want it, we dont. Goodbye top 4...be lucky to make the 8 at this rate.

KT31
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
How could Acker not get the dropping the ball free?
We don't deservre to win but the umpiring has beenvery ordiniary

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
As a Bulldog supporter for many years, i don't find this surprising at all.

Disgraceful.

DOG GOD
07-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Hill would be the softest player in the AFL surely :( hmmm looks like another 3 pt loss coming up

EasternWest
There's no C in Aker.

Bumper Bulldogs
This reminds me of day gone by!

All hope ..... No delivery

What the hell is going on

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Tonight. Bereft of leadership, bereft of belief, playing like a disorganised panicky rabble.
Where are the leaders? Gia? Higgins?

WE have 3 minutes to show that no matter how out of form we are, we can will a win, and then regroup and have a good hard look at ourselves.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I cant see us winning as they don't want it. they need to bleed for each other.

This is another @#$ poor effort for a team that was going to win the flag this year

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Griffen!!!!!!

Finally some urgency, and desire.

Now we need to hold on.

Well done fellas, now find a way to hold on.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Hope they took something out of last week

Holding on that is!

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I can't believe this, why do we have to sit through games like this all the time?

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I can't believe this, why do we have to sit through games like this all the time?

because we follow the Dogs!

Stefcep
07-05-2010, 11:14 PM
NOTHING to take home from this but the 4 points. PATHETIC

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2010, 11:16 PM

Much better than the alternative i would think.

They should still get a lot of backlash so I hope they take that into next week with some attitude.

choconmientay
07-05-2010, 11:18 PM
we got lucky today :( I feel sick to my stomach watching the game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 11:20 PM
AS crap as that performance was, and as much as there is alot of work necessary to get some form on the board, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to see the reaction of the fellas after the game.

I didn't think we could take much out of a win based on that performance, but hopefully(and it may just be over the top optimism on my behalf) the way the group got together and were so full of emotion at getting the win may stir the guys into action.

I asked where the leaders were, actually being facetious and lo and beyold Lake and Griffen put there hand up and dared to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Hearing Lake after the game say he took it upon himself to move up forward and roll the dice. Well Done!

EasternWest
07-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Much better than the alternative i would think.

They should still get a lot of backlash so I hope they take that into next week with some attitude.

I'm not having a go at you BB, but how long are we going to have to say shlt like this for?

ReLoad
07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Ok, no review of this match for me tonight, need to think about it overnight, but some obvious issues here.

However the conditions worked right into Melbournes favour here, no doubt about it.

Anyways, thats the end of my "Get out of Jail free" card, played and used.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 11:26 PM
All i will say tonight, is that finals are a real slog & it's good to finally win one. The guys should be able to take a little bit out of this win, still a lot of improvement to go before September though.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2010, 11:26 PM

I disagree. WE were dead and gone in the last few minutes, and not looking likely at all, increasingly making woeful decisions, fumbling turning the ball over, and playing completely devoid of any plan and with total panic.

Yet we did what the Saints did last week, finally took the bit between the teeth, scrapped it out and found a way to win.
I think the players know by the reaction on their faces after the game, that they got out of jail, and that they stared down oblivion and found a way to win.

Terrible performance, but they may've just found the spark from near death to maybe rediscover the passion. Maybe we just jolted ourselves out our malaise?
Remember how horrible Collingwood looked against the Dee's, in perfect conditions no less?

angelopetraglia
07-05-2010, 11:53 PM
What a difference when you get the four points!

We were G.O.N.E.

Two great snaps to hit the lead.

How much better does it feel to steal it, rather than give it away.

GVGjr
08-05-2010, 12:03 AM

We were G.O.N.E.

Last week I made mention that our supporters don't mind ugly games of football when we win.

We still haven't hit our straps and we hopefully we will soon.

KT31
08-05-2010, 12:13 AM
There's no C in Aker.

Whoopie!!!
If your best contribution is correcting mistakes.
Get a life!

KT31
08-05-2010, 12:16 AM

We were G.O.N.E.

Bit of justice for last week.
Feel so much better with the win.
Square up for last week, Melbourne are much improved and IMO played the better footy tonight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Last week I made mention that our supporters don't mind ugly games of football when we win.

We still haven't hit our straps and we hopefully we will soon.

Different circumstances somewhat, however despite the conditions we certainly played terrible ugly football.
I'm not happy with the performance at all, but am happy that we reached inside and found the fortitude to win, when all looked lost.

chef
08-05-2010, 12:18 AM
How stupid was it having the umpires in the same colours as Melbourne, it cost the Dees a few turnovers.

Rance Fan
08-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Long way to go!!

EasternWest
08-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Whoopie!!!
If your best contribution is correcting mistakes.
Get a life!

I don't correct mistakes with grammar etc as I'm not perfect myself, but misspelling our own players names annoys me. Don't take it to heart.

How did you see Hargraves' and Griffin's game tonight?:D

GVGjr
08-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Different circumstances somewhat, however despite the conditions we certainly played terrible ugly football.
I'm not happy with the performance at all, but am happy that we reached inside and found the fortitude to win, when all looked lost.

Different circumstances but we aren't playing our best football. I don't think our supporters will be as hard on the boys as they were last week.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2010, 12:21 AM
How stupid was it having the umpires in the same colours as Melbourne, it cost the Dees a few turnovers.

They would certainly feel aggrieved. However I think they got the rub of the umpy's decision free kick wise tonight.

EasternWest
08-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Bit of justice for last week.
Feel so much better with the win.
Square up for last week, Melbourne are much improved and IMO played the better footy tonight.

Agree with this, they've made good use of their high picks and recruited well.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
How could Acker not get the dropping the ball free?
We don't deservre to win but the umpiring has beenvery ordiniary

Agreed!
Stiff on BOTH teams all night in my opinion..

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Different circumstances but we aren't playing our best football. I don't think our supporters will be as hard on the boys as they were last week.

No we are not playing well at all, and it is certainly becoming increasingly obvious by the reaction on Eades face that he is getting frustrated as well
I hope he is able to keep his composure and not let his emotions get the better of him.

I think the media will be turning up the heat on us even more too, and deservedly so.

GVGjr
08-05-2010, 12:29 AM
No we are not playing well at all, and it is certainly becoming increasingly obvious by the reaction on Eades face that he is getting frustrated as well
I hope he is able to keep his composure and not let his emotions get the better of him.

I think the media will be turning up the heat on us even more too, and deservedly so.

We need to get some of the cavalry back. Ward, Picken and even Moles would have been good players for us tonight and of course Johnson.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Some very soft performances out there tonight. Hill, Stack, Grant, Hahn & Hall all to easily pushed off the ball. Big bad Barry was a liability tonight, awful game. What is it with Hargrave? he doesn't look like he is all there, he was awful.

Melbournes kids were exciting but i just can't except the opposition having more endevour than us, they clearly wanted it more than us.

I hate it when we play a loose man in defence and everytime we went forward we didn't look dangerous and with that extra man they ran that ball out so easily.

That holding the ball decision for aker, i see that every single game i watch every week, they have changed the rule on that. I don't understand how a bloke can be on the ground and its stacks on and thats holding the ball but a guy gets tackled and he drops it/throws it/punches it and its play on.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Forward line is the biggest problem. Hall hasn't fired a shot against the better sides and is constantly out-numbered. For whatever reason, we keep bombing it long. We used to always look for and spot up targets - very rarely we do that now. Hahn is horribly out of form and needs to be dropped. Hill kicked a couple tonight and his stats look OK but he really doesn't offer us enough. Stack did a couple of OK things but was ordinary aside from that. Murph looks much better playing across half back.

We've got serious forward problems.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 12:56 AM
So many times I saw the ball loose and heaps of dogs about 20-30m away and not even chasing or looking to want to get the ball.

alwaysadog
08-05-2010, 12:58 AM
A great relief to get away with a win but no sense of joy that we are playing such a terrible game plan. We can't expect to prosper if we constantly allow the opposition to take the initiative.

Why have we taken all the adventure out of our play; we are now the masters of the super flood. It makes no sense; we are not a team of hacks that need to bring the opposition back to our standard but that's the way we are playing.

Perhaps we should take a rest from worshipping at the altar of the contested play footy god and go back to our old religion with the unpredictable, attacking footy god.

alwaysadog
08-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Forward line is the biggest problem. ...

We've got serious forward problems.

Our problem is that we are trying to play without a forward line. How often tonight was there no player in our forward fifty with no one to even make a contest when the ball came in. At other times we bring the ball in to totally clogged situations which so favour the backmen it's not funny.

If this is a game plan its intent and purpose is lost on me.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Our problem is that we are trying to play without a forward line. How often tonight was there no player in our forward fifty with no one to even make a contest when the ball came in. At other times we bring the ball in to totally clogged situations which so favour the backmen it's not funny.

If this is a game plan its intent and purpose is lost on me.

I agree.

The half forwards are pushing up the ground, making themselves useless. The game plan is obviously to create space for Hall but it isn't working. Opposition are double teaming him and the half forwards who pushed up the ground aren't working nearly hard enough to help out/crumb the ball. The other player(s) that do stay deep are witches hats (Hahn).

Surely we have to change the structure now.

Dry Rot
08-05-2010, 01:11 AM
A great relief to get away with a win but no sense of joy that we are playing such a terrible game plan. We can't expect to prosper if we constantly allow the opposition to take the initiative.

Why have we taken all the adventure out of our play; we are now the masters of the super flood. It makes no sense; we are not a team of hacks that need to bring the opposition back to our standard but that's the way we are playing.

Perhaps we should take a rest from worshipping at the altar of the contested play footy god and go back to our old religion with the unpredictable, attacking footy god.

Just watching the first quarter on silly post midnight Sydney TV coverage.

Dees seem to be playing far more adventurously (than us) like we used to.

Dry Rot
08-05-2010, 01:13 AM
I agree.

The half forwards are pushing up the ground, making themselves useless. The game plan is obviously to create space for Hall but it isn't working. Opposition are double teaming him and the half forwards who pushed up the ground aren't working nearly hard enough to help out/crumb the ball. The other player(s) that do stay deep are witches hats (Hahn).

Surely we have to change the structure now.

What do you think we should do?

jazzadogs
08-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Some very soft performances out there tonight. Hill, Stack, Grant, Hahn & Hall all to easily pushed off the ball. Big bad Barry was a liability tonight, awful game. What is it with Hargrave? he doesn't look like he is all there, he was awful.

That holding the ball decision for aker, i see that every single game i watch every week, they have changed the rule on that. I don't understand how a bloke can be on the ground and its stacks on and thats holding the ball but a guy gets tackled and he drops it/throws it/punches it and its play on.

Hall copped a knock in the first (?) quarter which clearly affected him for the rest of the match. Was well below his best, but delivery was not great. Forward structure does need a lot of work.

Due to my regular SEN listenings, the Giesch states that if a player has no prior opportunity an 'attempt' to get rid of the ball is enough. Basically saying that if you have no prior opportunity you can get rid of the ball however you please, which is ridiculous.
And in this case, largely irrelevant seeing as the Melbourne player (Scully?) clearly had prior opportunity. Perplexing decision.

Sedat
08-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Some very soft performances out there tonight. Hill, Stack, Grant, Hahn & Hall all to easily pushed off the ball.

Grant's intent was anything but soft, just his body shape is not quite allowing the tackles to stick. Over the last 3 weeks, I've been very impressed by his footy smarts and ability to bring other into the play with quick hands and deft touches.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Lets hope the extra 2 day break we get helps us next week. hehhe

jazzadogs
08-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Grant's intent was anything but soft, just his body shape is not quite allowing the tackles to stick. Over the last 3 weeks, I've been very impressed by his footy smarts and ability to bring other into the play with quick hands and deft touches.
10 tackles to Josh Hill btw, surprised me a bit. Whilst I thought his pressure was much improved tonight, they are normally quite strict with their interpretation of a tackle so I'm surprised that many of Josh's were counted. 9 to Gia and Griff, Grant had 6.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Hall copped a knock in the first (?) quarter which clearly affected him for the rest of the match. Was well below his best, but delivery was not great. Forward structure does need a lot of work.

Due to my regular SEN listenings, the Giesch states that if a player has no prior opportunity an 'attempt' to get rid of the ball is enough. Basically saying that if you have no prior opportunity you can get rid of the ball however you please, which is ridiculous.
And in this case, largely irrelevant seeing as the Melbourne player (Scully?) clearly had prior opportunity. Perplexing decision.

If that is the case that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all season. The holding the ball rule is officially a joke, the Giesch needs to go.

bornadog
08-05-2010, 01:23 AM

I agree, I thought Grant was great. He doesn't give up and just keeps going. Several times with his enthusiasm, he kept the ball in our forward line. I was a little disappointed with some of Hills efforts, he just doesn't go in hard enough when he needed to in wet and slippery conditions.

Overall it was an ugly game, in ugly conditions, so we couldn't expect pretty football, and it was great to snatch back the lead and win.

jazzadogs
08-05-2010, 01:23 AM
If that is the case that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all season. The holding the ball rule is officially a joke, the Giesch needs to go.
It will be embarrassing if I got it wrong, because I've heard it so many times. But I think it disgusted me so much the first time that now I just think "that is a disgusting rule" and don't really pay attention.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:25 AM

I'm not talking about his previous games, i've been pleased with that. I'm happy with his efforts but got pushed off the ball far too easy and was well beaten by Bruce.

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 01:37 AM
It's going to sound silly, but that was a disappointing win. We got 4 points, that's the highlight. Awful conditions, awful disposal, lacklustre efforts across the ground. A number of posters here have referenced our older players making us look slow - IMO, it's right through the squad. Can't really think of many who look full of energy and vigour, save for maybe Griffen (and he always appears to be limping, even when injury-free! :) ). We're getting beaten to the ball, pushed off the contest, and just don't appear desperate.

Bazza didn't have a good night, but didn't get that much of a look-in either. When we go forward, we're just banging it in hopefully (again!)...and they persist in kicking it to him 1 on 2, 1 on 3...simple maths tells me that ain't gonna work! IMO, his pressure and bullocking work is one positive. Clearly the forwards haven't worked out how to work together yet. And as others have said, they're pushing up the ground a hell of a lot, and often we've got no options when we move it forward. Hargrave is off. Just off. Boydy solid in his return. Didn't mind Grant's game, but he really needs to strengthen his body.

Like a true Bulldog fan, I look forward to the turnaround. Funny we keep saying that...

Dry Rot
08-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Thoughts on Stack's game tonight?

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 01:42 AM

I thought he did a few good things (the goals, a nice stab into forward 50 to set up Aker), but then disappeared for stretches.

Mantis
08-05-2010, 01:45 AM
We won, they lost.......Yippee!!!

Doc26
08-05-2010, 01:46 AM
One pleasing aspect this evening was seeing a noticeable shift in Shaun's work rate and intensity. Not sure if he had a rev up during the week or a coin dropped for him but much better signs in tonight's performance.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE=bornadog;151424]I agree, I thought Grant was great.

Grant tried hard but to say he played great is way off the mark. To play great you have to beat your direct opponent for starters and he was no way near doing that. I like the kid and think he should stay in the team but if he was great then i was watching a different game.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 01:49 AM
I feel like we lost!! I think because it really hit home for me tonight we are just not good enough!! hate to say it, but fear its true.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:50 AM

Did a couple of goods things but other than that didn't take his opportunities and don't think he did enough for another game. By the reports at Willi it sounded as though he didn't really get his chance tonight through great performances but i understood why they played him, just didn't grab his opportunity with both hands.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:51 AM
One pleasing aspect this evening was seeing a noticeable shift in Shaun's work rate and intensity. Not sure if he had a rev up during the week or a coin dropped for him but much better signs in tonight's performance.

Agree with that Doc, thought his effort was definately an improvement from what we have seen so far this year.

ReLoad
08-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Ok here is my review:

Firstly, in all of our previous losses this year we have lost the outside ball carrier possession count, and have not applied enough pressure on the ball carrier, tonight like our wins we applied a mixed bag, in terms of the actual stat it was above our losses, but below our wins, so a mixed result there, we miss Picken, he alone adds some 10% to outside runner pressure by tagging a player and not letting a player get more than 2 feet away from him.

Secondly the coaches box, they were outstanding tonight, the wilingness to roll the dice and put Murphy at CHB and give Brain Fade a crack in the forward line, after all if he had have drilled that deliberate out of bounds he would have kicked the two match winners and would be on the back page of every paper today including the Moscow Red Star Daily.
These two moves won the game for us, no debate there.

The most interesting facet of the game tonight, and to me it highlights the true performance:
FTTFI: First to the football indicator.
Tonight we were first to the football 149 times to melbournes 88.
That doesnt mean we picked it up, or did anything with it, it just means that our players got there first and had first opportunity at it.
Sadly with the conditions, over 50 of our FTTFI's meant we didnt get or control the ball even after we were there first.

So therefore i would summise that if this were at the Dome, we would have and should have had a significant advantage and realistically blown the game apart.

Lastly, i was very impressed today witht he way Gia played, he was committed on a physical level ive never seen him do before and you can tell he wanted to prove he is the next leader of this club, that huddle at the end of the game is first class.

Overall:
Players: 7/10 (some shockers lowered the average significantly) and melbourne had two of the three best players on the ground, Scully & Bate
Coaches box: 9/10 insipiring moves willingness to roll the dice and take a risk, the players didnt take risks today, but the coaches did, excellent work.
Supporters: 7/10 not our home game, and Melbourne supporters were in full song.

Desipura
08-05-2010, 08:57 AM
In that last 5 minutes, I had a feeling of "our season is finished". Basically I had conceded we were 'gonski'.
If we had lost, Hahn would be the one I would be looking to have a spell at Williamstown.
Now that we are 4-3, he survives as his physical presence will be required against Sydney. Lets hope he can provide some physical presence.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2010, 09:02 AM
This is the team that only lost to collingwood by a fumble. I think a lot of people on this forum pooh poohed Melbourne before tonight. They beat Brisbane and until tonight, had the same win / loss record as us. It just shows the evenness of the competition. As I watched this game I thought to myself, one touch or block, or tackle is going to make the difference tonight. I reckon the pink umpires played in our favor a few times with a few stray passes going there way, thanks boys; next year I reckon they will be wearing flouro green for sure.

AGAIN we took our foot off the peddle in the third and it almost cost us. I'm going to write a folk song about Ryan Griffen. The Lake snap was good, but Griffs had me jumping around the lounge room and my housemates wondering if I had gone mad.

To break into the top four is going to be really hard and I heard Harley comment that historically, not many teams out of the four get into the finals. So each win is like gold.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm not having a go at you BB, but how long are we going to have to say shlt like this for?

Hopefully not to long, We all know we have a exciting bunch of guys but IMO they just seem to be off their game at the moment. Each game they have had patches of good footy but i cant seem to understand the reasons we are not using the run and carry like years gone by.

Maybe it's due to the injury's we have and we're forced to play guys that aren't quite right.

Hopefully his starts to change from this point on because we know they have done the hard work in the off season, both with recruiting and body development.

The thing I most take from this indifferent start is we have a lot of deapth and we know we have some stars in the future coming along.:)

The Pie Man
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
]In that last 5 minutes, I had a feeling of "our season is finished". Basically I had conceded we were 'gonski'.[/B]If we had lost, Hahn would be the one I would be looking to have a spell at Williamstown.
Now that we are 4-3, he survives as his physical presence will be required against Sydney. Lets hope he can provide some physical presence.

Me too - I had hoped the Akermanis tackle and snap in the 3rd was the turning point (for more than just the match) and it certainly arrested their momentum at the time, but woooo we were dead until Lake went forward.

How funny was he trying to con the goal umpire he'd kicked that snap from the deliberate OOB? I was sitting in the Ponsford behind the goals, and the ball just kept drifting...and he's celebrating...made me chuckle in a tense situation.

Well done to Josh Hill for taking his late chance, I hope it's a turning point for him. We would've been lost without the beard's intensity. Barry Hall looked old last night...didn't seem to want to compete for the ball once it hit the deck, but he kept presenting up the ground and provided a contest in what was clearly a dirty night for big forwards.

No disrespect to Melbourne, they'll challenge for the 8 if they don't fall away after last night's sting, but we should be beating teams around that mark. They have a pretty decent future to look forward to - I'd love to have Bennell in our forward line, and Scully/Tregrove will be/are guns.

So I'm convinced there is a football god with a sense of karma...though walking back to Jolimont my wife asked me 'so what's Melbourne done to deserve that then?' ;)

Doc26
08-05-2010, 12:58 PM
For those watching on the tube last night i.e with benefit of a close up replay, has Jarrod Harbrow got some worries with the Bennell high contact ? The Melbourne supporters were incensed with him for sometime after it but for me being shoved up top deck of the Olympic stand I was too far away to make a reasonable call on it. Didn't look good from a distance.

G-Mo77
08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
For those watching on the tube last night i.e with benefit of a close up replay, has Jarrod Harbrow got some worries with the Bennell high contact ? The Melbourne supporters were incensed with him for sometime after it but for me being shoved up top deck of the Olympic stand I was too far away to make a reasonable call on it. Didn't look good from a distance.

Possibly, I really didn't see a lot in it. There was never any intent to hit him from what it seems but gee the Melbourne supporters carried on like he'd killed someone. :rolleyes:

1 week if we're unlucky.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Last week we seemed to play under instruction of hanging onto the ball at all costs - until we could find a way forward. This had the result of slowing our forward entries and clogging up our forward line. Last night we seemed to play under instruction of getting the ball forward any old how. This had the result of hit and miss footy and clogging up our forward line again (because we couldn't find targets). In both instances we did not have fast flowing run through the middle style of football that we used to be known for (yet the Demons could manage it a few times). We are oscillating between slow clogged up forward play and having no-one there at all because the forwards have all pushed up the ground. This defensive style of football is what St Kilda has used with some success, so I am happy we are trying to learn it (for use in finals, if we have to), but it seems we are having trouble adapting to it and making it work. We appear to have thrown the baby out with the bath water and have gone away from the way we know how to play. Then again, maybe we need to be patient as the players get a handle on how to switch and implement different game plans. It certainly looked like they were uncertain /confused at times last night.....but I am hopeful that with each game we play we can learn to refine and execute it better.

I was just listening to Stan Alves on ABC and he commented that we are doing Barry Hall no favours by trying to kick to him all the time. He said that in his day they told the full forward to lead everywhere in the first quarter, with several opposition players going to him every time. The team were told NOT to kick it to him at all in the first quarter. This meant that other players became the targets as they were loose and kicked the goals. After quarter time, the opposition were more keen to pick up their direct opponents, thus giving the full forward a better chance. If Hall is going to be double and triple teamed then we must come up with a better team plan to ensure scoring success. He is not a pack mark and he can't be expected to beat 3 men. We have to work harder for each other so as to create space for alternative targets to run into.

bornadog
08-05-2010, 05:42 PM

Malthouse said he will win the Brownlow, hope he doesn't get rubbed out. To me it was reckless contact.

LostDoggy
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
So I'm convinced there is a football god with a sense of karma...though walking back to Jolimont my wife asked me 'so what's Melbourne done to deserve that then?' ;)

They tanked last season to get both Scully and Trengrove. That is what they have done!

I was happy that our guys didn't give up the fight. We look like a team that is being primed to hit our straps in September, we look like we are playing practice matches at the moment. I hope our form starts to lift, otherwise we will miss out on the top 4.

Curly5
10-05-2010, 12:42 PM
I feel like we lost!! I think because it really hit home for me tonight we are just not good enough!! hate to say it, but fear its true.

Yes, we are good enough, but for some reason atm we don't believe it enough.

Another stiff test coming up against Sydney, who are now only 2 spots ahead of us. Time to strike!