PDA

View Full Version : Key Dogs need to steer team to a premiership

Mantis
07-05-2010, 07:44 AM
ROBERT WALLS
May 7, 2010

Welcome aboard the Bulldogs Bus. It will be a good ride because in recent years lots of time, effort and money has been invested to get the bus into tip-top shape.

There's lots of class. Bob Murphy, Shaun Higgins, Ryan Griffen and Adam Cooney provide that. There's loads of experience, too. At least 16 on board have played more than 100 games of AFL football.

Some, such as Jason Akermanis and Barry Hall, have been there on grand final day and know what it's like to win a flag. There's speed to burn - no one is quicker than Jarrod Harbrow. And there's lots of grunt - Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Mitch Hahn and Ben Hudson are happy to give and take hits in heavy traffic.

Click here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/key-dogs-need-to-steer-team-to-a-premiership-20100506-uguz.html) for the rest of the article

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Nobody with sufficient character to take on the game, eh ? A club that solves it's problems by adopting a flashy business name in preference to going out and demanding respect by performance. Maybe that mentality rubs off on its players.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Nobody with sufficient character to take on the game, eh ? A club that solves it's problems by adopting a flashy business name in preference to going out and demanding respect by performance. Maybe that mentality rubs off on its players.

What absolute rubbish.

Please explain to me the link between the change of name and demanding respect on the football field.

How many times must the Footscray/Western Bulldogs issue be addressed? I thought that was put to bed years ago.

At least it was by the vast majority of supporters.

Get over it - it is changed forever.

With respect to Walls' article, I don't think there is a lot to argue with. It is a fair summary of the state of play.

Bulldog4life
07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I think Robert Walls's article has got merit. A number of posters views on this forum after last weeks game were similar to his. Only difference is an "outsider" and not a bulldog supporter is saying it.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 10:50 AM
IMHO Walls is spot on. I like Walls he is forthright, honest and is happy to give our club airtime (good and bad).

Go_Dogs
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
IMHO Walls is spot on. I like Walls he is forthright, honest and is happy to give our club airtime (good and bad).

Yep, agree with that. It's a good article, and as mentioned above it really does seem inline with the thoughts many posted on here after the game last Friday.

I think he makes a good point as well by mentioning Murphy and Cooney at the end. They seem like guys who don't really want to be leaders, but they must realise they are on the field, and hopefully they are able to stand up in big moments as the season progresses.

Cooney has already shown this ability, but would love for him to take even more responsibility, more often, because he is so important to the side.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I would be one of the posters (probably the noisiest) that wrote similar sentiments in the last week.

However, I do think Wallsy is selling a couple of Dogs players short. We do have one, maybe two players who do get behind the steering wheel week in, week out, and everyone in the club knows it, even if it's not that obvious to outsiders.

We have missed Boydy and Ward (and Picken, to a certain extent) more than we realise. It is concerning that two of them are essentially rookies, but the three of them ARE our most mentally resilient and competitive players, and it's no coincidence that we look most fragile without them in the team. Harbrow is no shrinking violet either, and has been competitive from the moment he's stepped onto the park (even in his middling small forward days), which is why it's important to keep him on the list going forward.

ps. I don't think it's a coincidence that three of the four examples I've provided above come from the rookie list. It takes a certain mental strength of character to drag yourself up and make yourself into an elite player from what everyone else perceives as a long way back.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree with the article too, but we have a bunch of guys who could fill the role but simply arent. In addtition to Cooney and Murphy, Griffen, Gia, Hall, Aker, Johnson and Higgins. Even Hahn, he has done it before.

Why arent they doing it now? A few times our good players looked to pass off when they could have made themselves a hero on Friday night. I hope our leaders can have a good hard look at themselves.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
We do have one, maybe two players who do get behind the steering wheel week in.

Agreed, I think we have one more that may develop this season. Griff has really stepped up this season and is the kind of character that might just become the bus driver who gets us over the line in big games.

bornadog
07-05-2010, 12:58 PM
When there is a tight game, we don't seem to have anyone that stands up and gets us through.

Walls is right, Cooney, Murphy must show some on field leadership. Griffen is starting to stamp his name on the ground and is getting better and better, week by week.

Good examples are the last two games against the Saints. Nobody did that bit of magic, excitement, to really the take the game by the short and curlies.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Hate to say it but I think the article is spot on. There seems to be a really unfortunate disconnect in that our most mentally tough players, Boyd, Cross, Morris, Picken and Hudson are probably not talented enough to put the team on their shoulders and carry them across the line (Boyd may be an exception to this). To this group you could add Ward and maybe even Reid both of whom have shown real steel in the few games they have played and a lot of promse.

Sadly some of the players with the talent to do it,Gilbee, Cooney, Lake, Higgins, Murphy and Gia don't seem to have that killer edge when the whips are cracking, even though all of them have played game breaking roles in the past. Is this down to form, confidence or personality?? You have to wonder if years of relying on Johnno, Grant (Chris) and Westy, or more recently Aker and now Hall to play this role and carry the team to victory has left some of these others too reticent to impose themselves.

I agree with some posters that the signs shown by Boyd, Harbrow and Griffen are good, if we can get some of the others to start demanding the ball when the game needs to be won then there is enough talent there to do almost anything.

ledge
07-05-2010, 01:43 PM
When there is a tight game, we don't seem to have anyone that stands up and gets us through.

Walls is right, Cooney, Murphy must show some on field leadership. Griffen is starting to stamp his name on the ground and is getting better and better, week by week.

Good examples are the last two games against the Saints. Nobody did that bit of magic, excitement, to really the take the game by the short and curlies.

I think Harbrow did but sadly he was in the backline.

Cyberdoggie
07-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I've never been a fan of Walls and his opinions,
but he is correct in that we don't really have any game winners that you can count on to thrive in those tight pressure situations. We haven't had many for a while and there isn't a lot there in our senior group. Aker was once this type of player but not so much anymore. Our senior players are more of the quiet nice guys that seem to go missing at the wrong time.

Having said that i think we have a couple of young guys that are showing some real toughness.

Cal Ward is a player with a real big game winning mentality. He backs himself to kick big goals from outside 50 and he rarely misses. Ward is still working on his 4 quarter efforts but he's a winner when it counts.

I think Sam Reid also has some mental toughness, and our other big improver is Matthew Boyd. I think he really has some confidence in his own ability these days, it has taken him a while but with hard work he has improved his game dramatically and he now believes he is a top AFL footballer.

We have missed Ward and Boyd in recent weeks.

Stefcep
07-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Agreed, I think we have one more that may develop this season. Griff has really stepped up this season and is the kind of character that might just become the bus driver who gets us over the line in big games.

Yep i've been a Griffen critic in the past but I'm happy that he's made some changes to his game like not trying to break EVERY tackle, not trying for a 5 bounce run when he has the talent to kick 55 metres plus on the run. (I'd actually would have him on the wing)

Cooney really should by now be our game breaker.

bulldogsman
07-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Someone just needs to take responsibility and kick the ball through the big sticks. Gia and Hahn come to mind on weekend, both good shots on goals but don't want the responsibility. Gilbee to nail a goal late in the game... but again chokes. Add Johnson too.

Someone just kick the goal to win us the game. Anyone?

Ozza
07-05-2010, 04:13 PM
If nothing else, I think Robert walls (who I generally disagree with most of the time) has identified our most talented 2 players right now. I think those two can seriously make the difference between good and great seasons for the club. Its probably not that simple - but Coons and Bobby have to burn if we are to get in the picture of winning the flag.

Murphy'sLore
07-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Interesting to see some parallels between the discussion on this thread and the one about who should be our next captain. Common theme seems to be that there's no one quite prepared to stand up in a leadership capacity at the moment.

Sockeye Salmon
07-05-2010, 04:58 PM
This is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As soon as we win the premiership, whoever it is that played well on that day will be said to "have stepped up when it was on the line".

In reality, all it means was that he had a good day at a good time. Good players have more good days, so there's more chance that a good player will have a good day when it counts.

Brereton kicked 8 in a losing grand final.
Brereton got owned by Ryce-Jones in a grand final.

Was Brereton a star or a muppet?

lemmon
07-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I have no doubt the man who can play the role and hopefully will is Boyd. He has a bit of the Hayes about him in his dependability and ability to win the ball, he is relentless in his desire to be the best and demands the same commitment from those around him. His skills are fairly underrated and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a massive game tonight.

chef
07-05-2010, 05:55 PM
What absolute rubbish.

Please explain to me the link between the change of name and demanding respect on the football field.

How many times must the Footscray/Western Bulldogs issue be addressed? I thought that was put to bed years ago.

At least it was by the vast majority of supporters.

Get over it - it is changed forever.

With respect to Walls' article, I don't think there is a lot to argue with. It is a fair summary of the state of play.

Couldn't agree more.

Ozza
07-05-2010, 06:29 PM

As soon as we win the premiership, whoever it is that played well on that day will be said to "have stepped up when it was on the line".

In reality, all it means was that he had a good day at a good time. Good players have more good days, so there's more chance that a good player will have a good day when it counts.

All of this is a terrific point. Well said.

Time to head to the footy 'lunch' has gone way too long - so will exercise caution rather than posting late tonight....Go Dogs!

lemmon
08-05-2010, 12:26 AM
We certainly found our man in the last ten minutes tonight, Lakey stood head and shoulders above the rest after going forward in the last.

Remi Moses
08-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Walls is right,unfortunately! The best thing to come out of tonight was the players finished off tonight. Blimey we were close to having a critical eye on the players

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 02:41 AM
"Hall is battling to keep his emotions under control and will do so until the day he retires"

I really dislike the way everyone is just hanging for Baz to slip up. From this by Walls, Craig Hutchison on Footy Classified, everyone seems to want him to fail. IMO, he's been great thus far. Last week he messed up a bit, but no worse than any other player has. Where's the obvious evidence that he's "battling"? Is it the tall poppy syndrome? Why do we (the general public) seem to want someone to fail?

Stefcep
08-05-2010, 11:56 AM
"Hall is battling to keep his emotions under control and will do so until the day he retires"

I really dislike the way everyone is just hanging for Baz to slip up. From this by Walls, Craig Hutchison on Footy Classified, everyone seems to want him to fail. IMO, he's been great thus far. Last week he messed up a bit, but no worse than any other player has. Where's the obvious evidence that he's "battling"? Is it the tall poppy syndrome? Why do we (the general public) seem to want someone to fail?

Are you serious? I have about half a dozen Hall images in my head from this season alone where i felt he was about a whisker from killing someone. Stuff you NEVER see from 99% of the players. The guy has huge anger-management issues, that so far he has managed to keep in check. Sure he gets baited, but then how stupid is he to expect anything else?

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Are you serious? I have about half a dozen Hall images in my head from this season alone where i felt he was about a whisker from killing someone. Stuff you NEVER see from 99% of the players. The guy has huge anger-management issues, that so far he has managed to keep in check. Sure he gets baited, but then how stupid is he to expect anything else?

Fair enough, I've felt he's done well thus far. I've seen maybe two things that have had me a bit worried. In the Collingwood game, and last week's 'hand in the face' stuff. I think because of his past indiscretions, he's being almost expected to crumble. I prefer to give him a fair go.

And yes, I am serious.

Stefcep
08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Fair enough, I've felt he's done well thus far. I've seen maybe two things that have had me a bit worried. In the Collingwood game, and last week's 'hand in the face' stuff. I think because of his past indiscretions, he's being almost expected to crumble. I prefer to give him a fair go.

And yes, I am serious.

Ok two things in seven games that many players wouldn't do in their entire careers.

To be fair, there's no doubt he gets more than his fair share of attention from well, everyone really, because of his past. No doubt at all about that.

Actually I give credit to his team mates that have gotten between him and the other bloke to diffuse a couple of potential explosions. Good on the boys for that.

Even so, I get the worrying feeling with him its not IF he'll explode, just when...

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Ok two things in seven games that many players wouldn't do in their entire careers.
In the Pies game, I don't recall any hitting or attempted hitting. Pushing, mouthing off, getting in people's face - happens all the time. last week, he gave a dumb free away, which happens every game to someone (and most games to Will!) and pushed his hand near someone's face. That's not that bad, IMO.

To be fair, there's no doubt he gets more than his fair share of attention from well, everyone really, because of his past. No doubt at all about that.

Actually I give credit to his team mates that have gotten between him and the other bloke to diffuse a couple of potential explosions. Good on the boys for that.

Even so, I get the worrying feeling with him its not IF he'll explode, just when...

Which goes back to my original point of people expecting him to fail...to me, that's just unfair.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Do you think with johnno not playing in the mix does make the other seniors looking for that spark/motivation when it is needed to win now?

Sockeye Salmon
09-05-2010, 11:17 AM

And yes, I am serious.

I'm sure it was happening at Sydney (but who ever payed attention besides DryRot?) but whenever we have a set shot at goal opposition players run at Hall, trying to get a reaction and a free reversal. It looks so orchastrated it must be on instruction.

If the umpire would grow some goolies and pay a free against the initiator rather than the bloke being swamped, perhaps this blight on the game would go away.

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 12:05 PM
...Please explain to me the link between the change of name and demanding respect on the football field.

Walls questions leadership in a team loaded with talent he labels as equal to if the not the best in the competition. The game breaker, the player who gets the team over the line. Occasional and rare cameos by Johnson, Cooney, (Chris) Grant, Hawkins, none in finals, aside, since the beginning of the current, comparatively successful era commencing in the mid '80s, the club's fallen at the last hurdle consistently because of lack of such players. Why ? Murphy commented that until recently, the players were satisfied that they had the reputation for playing exciting, attacking football. Why be satisfied with that ? All the players come from the same background as the players from Brisbane (Voss/Brown), Hawthorn (Brereton/Hodge), St Kilda (Hayes/Goddard), Geelong (Hocking/Ablett) Adelaide (Jarman), Sydney (Kirk/Goodes), the U 18's, VFL, SANFL and WAFL.

The answer has to lie in the "culture" of the club. Timidity, over caution and lack of belief. The players aren't ruthless. committed and with self belief because the club doesn't demand it. Why doesn't it ? Because the club itself is soft. It takes the easy option, it lacks character. It allows the AFL to negotiate its ground deal, it hawks its symbol, the jumper, to bidders and at the behest of the marketing department, to increased sales revenue, it "sells" its home games interstate. It lacks a history of success that it can build upon however, unlike Hawthorn and North, both of which similarly lacked histories of success but sacrificed, planned and built premiership teams, it resorted to marketing and gimmicks.

That's the link.

Some of the points made in my criticism of the club may be a bit unfair in isolation but taken together a not very pretty picture emerges.

AndrewP6
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm sure it was happening at Sydney (but who ever payed attention besides DryRot?) but whenever we have a set shot at goal opposition players run at Hall, trying to get a reaction and a free reversal. It looks so orchastrated it must be on instruction.

If the umpire would grow some goolies and pay a free against the initiator rather than the bloke being swamped, perhaps this blight on the game would go away.

Good point! :)

Mofra
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Where's the obvious evidence that he's "battling"? Is it the tall poppy syndrome? Why do we (the general public) seem to want someone to fail?
Round 6, Gilbee is lining up for a shot on goal from 35m out...

bornadog
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Last season the AFL said they would crack down on fullbacks constantly whacking the FF in the back with an elbow. This season nothing.

Bulldog Revolution
10-05-2010, 12:30 PM

I'm inclined to agree

When a team has a player recognising as a superstar of the competition and the win it is often the superstar who is lauded

Over the past few years when we've been winning, heaps of guys have stepped up. If we'd beaten the Saints in the prelim then Griffen, Boyd, Morris etc would have been hailed as having produced magnificent finals, and answered the challenge, provided leadership etc.

boydogs
10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Last season the AFL said they would crack down on fullbacks constantly whacking the FF in the back with an elbow. This season nothing.

Riewoldt got one against Hansen

AndrewP6
10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Round 6, Gilbee is lining up for a shot on goal from 35m out...

He made a dumb move...he's hardly Robinson Crusoe there. That doesn't necessarily indicate a fragile mental state - if it does, there are 700 others like him.