PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall or nothing for the Bulldogs

Mantis
07-05-2010, 07:46 AM
* Jon Ralph
* May 07, 2010 12:00AM

Barry Hall's goal feast has turned into a famine for his Western Bulldogs teammates.

Hall is fifth in the Coleman Medal race with 20 goals after six rounds, but some of his high-profile teammates are being kept on a leash.

Astonishingly, Jason Akermanis and Brad Johnson are both yet to kick a goal after combining for 80 last season.

The Dogs, once the most potent attacking force in the AFL, are mid-table at 3-3, with their points scored dropping dramatically.

Click here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/barry-hall-or-nothing-for-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1225863354839) for the rest of the article.

chef
07-05-2010, 07:56 AM
So we've gone from needing a key forward to being to key forward conscience. We can't win.

Desipura
07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
I made mention of the exact same thing earlier this week. We need to get the balance right.

1eyedog
07-05-2010, 09:07 AM
When Johnno comes back play Hall at CHB and give TW a run with the seagulls. Sheez we can't win.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I've said this to. We need to get used of having Barry. And not think we have to kick it to him every single time we got inside 50.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 11:09 AM
But if he is the one presenting it is hard to not kick him the ball!

ledge
07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Well 2 points , 1 johnno has only played 2 games both not fully fit.
2 Aker has been playing around the ground more and not so deep.
So to me those 2 dont count, its the others that arent replacing them that are the problem.
Even Murph has been playing too far outside our 50 mtre arc.
Eades game plan or the other players inside 50 not getting it right?
PS i did notice Grant was playing around the centre at times.

ledge
07-05-2010, 11:44 AM
The one thing I would love to see?
Lake and Hall both up forward, leading in different directions.
Yeah I know ..but what about our backline etc etc

Mantis
07-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Well 2 points , 1 johnno has only played 2 games both not fully fit.

Johnson has played 3 games

So to me those 2 dont count, its the others that arent replacing them that are the problem.

Which players are you referring to with this 'others' comment?

bornadog
07-05-2010, 01:09 PM
So we've gone from needing a key forward to being to key forward conscience. We can't win.

Yep, not only this article but also mentioned on several footy panel shows.

At the end of the day, doesn't matter who kicks them, as long as we win.

ledge
07-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Johnson has played 3 games
Yep sorry 3 games and the first one i saw him in the backline a lot and struggling with the pace or injury still.

Which players are you referring to with this 'others' comment?

Whoever has been down there not kicking the goals while Aker has been up the ground obviously.. be it Cooney, Gia, Hahn, Murph, we just arent going deep enough by about 10 mtres and when we do get in range we dont have a shot.

Maybe I am old fashioned but your a forward if your in range have a shot its what your paid for.

Rather have a shot than bugger it up and never know.

bornadog
07-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Whoever has been down there not kicking the goals while Aker has been up the ground obviously.. be it Cooney, Gia, Hahn, Murph, we just arent going deep enough by about 10 mtres and when we do get in range we dont have a shot.

Maybe I am old fashioned but your a forward if your in range have a shot its what your paid for.

Rather have a shot than bugger it up and never know.

Not sure what the position was last year after 6 rounds:

Hall - 20 Goals
Hahn - 9
Gia - 8
Hill - 6
Murph - 4
Grant - 2
Johnno and Aket we know - 0

To me me need more goals from the mids, although Griffen is ok:

Griffen - 5
Boyd - 2
Cooney -2
Cross - 1

Gilbee normally kicks some each week (average last year 1), but has zero to date

Cyberdoggie
07-05-2010, 02:00 PM
We have also had Jarrad Grant and Roughead up there at times,
how many players do we need in the forward line?

In my opinion Murphy is playing his same role, but Aker and Johnson we have had to tinker with for obvious reasons.

The big difference is Hahn doesn't know his role anymore, and after getting hit by Barry he has pretty much vacated the forward 50. Josh Hill worked quite well with Hall but he doesn't offer anything defensively for us so he's been at Willy.

I'm not the least bit worried that Johnson and Aker aren't kicking goals.

I'm more worried that Cooney, Gilbee, Hargrave and some of our midfielders aren't kicking goals and therefore providing the run we need out of defence.

There is a long way to go yet but if players are out of form, we shouldn't hesitate in sending them to Williamstown for a spell. Rotating the squad a bit can only help come september.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Barry has been double & triple teamed yet we still go for him. Where are the other forwards? Shouldn't they then be free? Shouldn't they be crumbing?
I think Baz is doing his job and dragging players to him, as Rocket wants, but where are our loose men? Down the centre or the backline!
Someone please start crumbing for Baz!

Stefcep
07-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I wanted Hall solely for taking the contested grab in the tight games, not as the focal point of the attack. Since we scored more than anyone else last season, scoring was never an issue. This season I think we are scoring less per game with Hall. Look at Geelong, they are not Mooney focused and have their Johnson's, Ablets etc scoring their two or three per game.

IMO, defense was and still is the problem. Last week showed how our defense can go to water quickly when the pressure is on. Compare this with the miserly defenses of Geelong and St Kilda, who IMO are still the benchmark of the comp.

Mofra
07-05-2010, 04:20 PM
IMO, defense was and still is the problem. Last week showed how our defense can go to water quickly when the pressure is on. Compare this with the miserly defenses of Geelong and St Kilda, who IMO are still the benchmark of the comp.
The way our defence has stood up against pummelling this year (Saints & Brisbane smashed us for inside 50s in H2 both games) has been remarkable.
It's our midfield that's the problem - not working hard enough to defend, and their goals scored output appears to be lower as well.

LostDoggy
07-05-2010, 04:51 PM
The way our defence has stood up against pummelling this year (Saints & Brisbane smashed us for inside 50s in H2 both games) has been remarkable.
It's our midfield that's the problem - not working hard enough to defend, and their goals scored output appears to be lower as well.

^^^
Yep.

No coincidence that our midfield shut-down capacity is low and Ward, Boyd and Picken are missing.

KT31
08-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Bazza still can't buy a free.
Rocket needs to keep Bazza's mind on it and let him know his time will come.
We don't need a brain fade.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Bazza only scored me 29 SC points :(

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:05 AM

Was lucky to get that, he deserved minus points tonight. Really very disappointed in his game tonight. His game reminded me of that snickers add with Betty White, Barry played like her tonight.

bornadog
08-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Was lucky to get that, he deserved minus points tonight. Really very disappointed in his game tonight. His game reminded me of that snickers add with Betty White, Barry played like her tonight.

You are being totally unfair to Bazza. All we did was bomb it up high and expected him to take a pack mark. He is not a good pack mark. He needs to be leading out and to be hit on the chest, unfortunately in the conditions that was not going to happen.

anfo27
08-05-2010, 01:39 AM
You are being totally unfair to Bazza. All we did was bomb it up high and expected him to take a pack mark. He is not a good pack mark. He needs to be leading out and to be hit on the chest, unfortunately in the conditions that was not going to happen.

I wasn't expecting him to take pack marks on a night like tonight but he didn't win a one on one contest all night. When the ball hit the ground his man beat him hands down, he looked very sore or very old to me. It might sound harsh but thats how i saw it.

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Barry has been double & triple teamed yet we still go for him. Where are the other forwards? Shouldn't they then be free? Shouldn't they be crumbing?
I think Baz is doing his job and dragging players to him, as Rocket wants, but where are our loose men? Down the centre or the backline!
Someone please start crumbing for Baz!

Yes, what you said!

It's simple maths, as far as I see it. If Baz has 2 or 3 crunching him, that has to leave some of our others free. And when he does have extra company, do we have to kick it to him? He's not Superman. They've yet to work it all out...

GVGjr
08-05-2010, 09:16 AM

We have a dream team/supercoach thread so lets keep those discussions there.

Topdog
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I wasn't expecting him to take pack marks on a night like tonight but he didn't win a one on one contest all night. When the ball hit the ground his man beat him hands down, he looked very sore or very old to me. It might sound harsh but thats how i saw it.

I gather you didn't see Everitt's goal?

At what point does Rocket need to come out in the media and question Barry's treatment by the umpires. He has been given 2 free kicks in his 7 games for us so far and is regularly abused by the opposition. Yesterday he played up for one that was a push square in his back in an attempt to get the umpire to notice, no free. 2 minutes later he is being held and then had his arms chopped and got no free. It's getting beyond a joke at the moment.

In comparison with other forwards.
Daniel Bradshaw has 3 Frees for from 6 games.
Jonathan Brown has 5 FF from 6 games.
Buddy who is often seen to be unfairly treated has 6 FF from 4 games.
Nick Riewoldt has 7 FF from 4 games.

The Coon Dog
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I did feel for Bazza last night when he attempted to handball the ball back to a Melbourne player after a free kick & it slipped (hello, it was wet!) & didn't make it on the ball. it got to the player on the first bounce. 50 metre penalty!!

I just felt the umpire had no feel for the conditions, but if its the rule its the rule. Funny how later in the game when we had a free at half back the Melbourne player threw the ball back, again not on the full. No 50 metre penalty!!

Surely something like that is not that hard to be consistent about? :confused:

Bulldog4life
08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I did feel for Bazza last night when he attempted to handball the ball back to a Melbourne player after a free kick & it slipped (hello, it was wet!) & didn't make it on the ball. it got to the player on the first bounce. 50 metre penalty!!

I just felt the umpire had no feel for the conditions, but if its the rule its the rule. Funny how later in the game when we had a free at half back the Melbourne player threw the ball back, again not on the full. No 50 metre penalty!!

Surely something like that is not that hard to be consistent about? :confused:

This is the problem with every aspect of umpiring. Consistency for all players.
Certain players get an armchair ride while others don't. Barry is one that doesn't.

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
At what point does Rocket need to come out in the media and question Barry's treatment by the umpires. He has been given 2 free kicks in his 7 games for us so far and is regularly abused by the opposition. Yesterday he played up for one that was a push square in his back in an attempt to get the umpire to notice, no free. 2 minutes later he is being held and then had his arms chopped and got no free. It's getting beyond a joke at the moment.

In comparison with other forwards.
Daniel Bradshaw has 3 Frees for from 6 games.
Jonathan Brown has 5 FF from 6 games.
Buddy who is often seen to be unfairly treated has 6 FF from 4 games.
Nick Riewoldt has 7 FF from 4 games.

Kudos to Bazza for NOT going the biff. I'm a peaceful man, but in his position, I'd be pretty p***ed off by now...

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Rocket needs to keep Bazza's mind on it and let him know his time will come.
We don't need a brain fade.

Bazza will have to be knocked out to get a free inside 50

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
As commented on a footy panel show tonight to cooney, does having hall in the side, does it take time to adjust the game plan to get that structure flowing right?